• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Striker

Maybe they wanted to reduce the number of modes so they could go the COD route and have each mode be its own playlist. That wouldnt bode well for 1 flag if thats the case. Its hard to justify not having KOTH.
All of it is a little strange considering they have said time and time again many months ago how they were going to emphasize more objective based modes in the game (hence the story on how they were building more maps for said gametypes). Two Flag and Dominion doesn't strike me as much.

Was best set. We can throw the ball now, son.
That doesn't change the giant rooms players will sit in while players have to sprint across the entire map to finally begin shooting him/her.

1-Flag will not be missed. Neither will any other turn-taking gametype. Or even regular old Assault.

Pare that shit down, 343. I got you.

I have to agree - that said I haven't enjoyed king of the hill/ assualt or any objective mode except ctf for a long time.

I could live with regicide and oddball being cut tbh - I would want any Ffa hopper to be slayer only.

Talents

Banned
1-Flag will not be missed. Neither will any other turn-taking gametype. Or even regular old Assault.

Pare that shit down, 343. I got you.

wink.gif

I agree with this.

GhaleonEB

I have to agree - that said I haven't enjoyed king of the hill/ assualt or any objective mode except ctf for a long time.

I could live with regicide and oddball being cut tbh - I would want any Ffa hopper to be slayer only.

Regicide is a lot of fun, and a nice twist on straight up Slayer.

We have what, six announced game types? I think they've pared it down quite a bit.
I mean I'm someone whose ideal Halo playlists would look like this:

TS
CTF
BTB
Misc.

I think they need to be a bit more broad than just the ones you care about. :p

Where will the mammoth fit into multiplayer? Or is it spartan ops only?I was hoping for a sandtrap-esque map with it included. Would be awesome!

gs_h4mammoth.png

Well, going by rough size, from smallest to largest, the maps revealed so far are:

1. Adrift - Small/Medium
  2. Haven - Small/Medium
  3. Solace - Medium
  4. Abandon - Medium
  5. Complex - Medium/Large
  6. Ragnarok - Large
  7. Exile - Large
  8. Longbow - Larger

My guess is that there won't be any smaller maps, and the other two yet to be revealed maps will both be BTB maps.

One of them WILL have one or two Mammoths. It must.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Imagine playing Halo4 Oddball on Swordbase.

Throwing the ball from sword room to top shaft back and forth, playing keep away with the enemy.

I see this as a gamebreaker.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm assuming there is going to be an objective playlist. There is no way they cut 2 of the quintessential halo gametypes.

I don't know, quite a bit has changed from "quintessential Halo":

-Capture the Flag plays 100% differently now
-You can now earn power weapons by killing enemies/playing objective
-You can now change your starting weapon
-Grifball, once a community gametype, has now been shaped into a "legitimate" competitive gametype
-Infection is now a brand new mode, with new player models just for it

It seems pretty obvious that this is now Halo, and a lot of things that it used to be are gone. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still. KOTH and Assault being gone is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and both of these gametypes are still in lol

One flag can be really good if it's played on the right map. Loved me some 1 flag on high ground or on powerhouse.

MLG KotH on construct was also really good.

nillapuddin

1-Flag will not be missed.

I am all for them stripping down this game, I think Reach has like 20 something flag gametypes

BUT 1-FLAG, You cant be serious.

No fucking way

----------------------------------------------

Isnt the other map we are waiting on
"the biggest MP space ever in a halo game"
?

Or am I remembering incorrectly

Well, going by rough size, from smallest to largest, the maps revealed so far are:

1. Adrift - Small/Medium
  2. Solace - Medium
  3. Abandon - Medium
  4. Haven - Medium
  5. Complex - Medium/Large
  6. Ragnarok - Large

My guess is that there won't be any smaller maps, and the other two yet to be revealed maps will both be BTB maps.

One of them WILL have one or two Mammoths. It must.
Haven is a small/medium map. Why will one of the last two remaining maps have Mammoths?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Isnt the other map we are waiting on
"the biggest MP space ever in a halo game"
?

Or am I remembering incorrectly

I think you're thinking battlefield/armored kill, as they were super duper excited about introducing the largest battlefield map ever made.

I could most definitely be wrong about that assumption.

I really like the look of Abandon. I'm very curious as to how it plays. My first instinct is "badly" because it looks like Backwash, but it's not Backwash. Has a lot more interesting paths, sight-lines, and choke points.

As another marketing method, I'd really like to see a write-up on Waypoint detailing the design history of each multiplayer map: the fiction behind them, what they set out to do with it, the gametypes it's made for, and so on. I especially would like to hear their thought processes on Ragnarok.

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if a one-sided objective gametype isn't in the game. I don't care if it's one flag or neutral assault, but it's really going to leave a big hole if something's not there.

Abandon, for instance, looks to be a perfect fit for one-sided objective.

Korosenai

New map is called Abandon

Looks nice. I like the jungle theme.

Also, this is the first post i've read so far (need to catch up on everyones opinions) and I don't know if this has been discussed yet or not, but the building that they show at the very beginning of the walkthrough looks exactly like the forge building they showed in that preview a while back. So maybe this is a new forge environment?

As another marketing method, I'd really like to see a write-up on Waypoint detailing the design history of each multiplayer map: the fiction behind them, what they set out to do with it, the gametypes it's made for, and so on. I especially would like to hear their thought processes on Ragnarok.
You can get access to this and other special custom armor mods when you buy specially marked cases of Duderitos and kegs of Mountain Derp.

Striker

Basic KotH hasn't been strongly emphasized by Bungie in a while. I remember it in Lockout and Turf, but it hasn't been a strong gametype since in any non-MLG environment.

Assault has been discussed heavily before. Simply put, it has been poorly designed in both the map department and in settings. From going to instant arm in Halo 3, and basically stripping out the great little things on the HUD that made it work so well, and sticky arming made for strategic work. It got better in Reach, but it still lacked. There's been no strong Assault maps in each Reach or Halo 3, either, so that obviously doesn't help. Bomb in Terminal, Zanzibar, Ivory Tower, and Midship were outstanding.

BigShow36

I like the way Abandon looks, but the sight lines seem way too small for how long the standard weapons take to kill. Also, the middle structure seems really... bland? 2 dimensional? I'm not sure of the exact term.

As Napsta said Grifball is built on Assault. Assault is in the game in some form.

I could have swore they went out and said that Grifball is its own gametype now... no longer tied to a base gametype. So no confirmation on Assault.

I actually REALLY enjoy neutral bomb. Like a lot. I think putting a heavy focus on Neutral Bomb over One-Sided Bomb/Multi-Bomb would actually fit well with the more active style Halo is going for. Neutral Bomb players "become" the objective and it is a team effort to get him to the point and then hold that point.

Overdoziz

Banned
Objective gametypes have really been butchered in the past few Halo games. I made a post some time ago about what I would like to see changed and what could be improved. I think it would make even the gametypes aside from CTF and Bomb play much better.

Here's some changes I'd like to see in objective gametypes:

King of the Hill:
-Only have 3 hill locations and have a set rotation sequence; Middle, side 1, middle, side 2, repeat.
-Dynamic.
-Shouldn't be played on segmented maps.
-Place the hills near the center (all 3 of them) so you don't have to walk for a minute to get to the hill if you happen to spawn on the other side of the map.
-Don't have any cover in hills, only just next to it.

Oddball:
-Only have 1 Oddball reset location. Losing the Oddball because it reset to their side of the map makes no sense and only frustrates.
-Should not be played on room-based maps (*cough*Sword Base*cough*). Maps where you're never really safe from enemy fire for long our the best maps for Oddball. Keeps things moving.
-Hot Potato needs to go. It is a gametype created to lazily solve the problem of people hiding in a corner with the ball. What Bungie should've done instead is make maps where movement with the ball is promoted.

Stockpile:
-Only have 4 flag stands. Having more than 4 can result in an unfair advantage for either of the teams.
-Should only be played on symmetrical maps.
-Put the flag stands near the center of the map so a team doesn't just get a flag for free because it's on their side of the map.
-Have the flags be collected every 2 minutes. 1 minute seems short. Also, the flags are now collected at every X.10 mark. It would make more sense if they were collected exactly when the timer reaches a full minute making it easier to keep track of when they're getting collected.
-Make it DMR starts.

Capture the Flag:
-Only have one 2-Flag variant. No pro, classic, speed, slayer, whatever bullshit.
-For 4v4 the recovery time should be about 3 to 5 seconds, reset time 10 to 15. Also counts for 1-Flag.
-Flag juggling should be on at all times.
-Neutral and 3-Flag can go the way of the dodo.
-1-Flag should only be played on asymmetrical maps and 2-Flag only on symmetrical maps. Don't mix them up.

Assault:
-Neutral Bomb or 1-Bomb only. 2-Bomb doesn't work with only 4 (or 5) players on a team.
-The arm and defuse time are fine as it is right now. I think it's a 5 second arm/defuse time while it explodes after 15 seconds? Sounds about right.
-Playing Bomb with 5v5 on 4v4 maps (like Asylum) really doesn't work. It's extremely hard to arm bombs if you're playing against a competent opponent.

Headhunter:
-Get rid of the hills. Let us score points the moment you pick up someone's skull.
-Skulls shouldn't rolls around, it doesn't make it more fun, only frustrating. Just make them float in the air in the locations where you killed a player.
-By doing this Headhunter would change dramatically but would become less of a fringe gametype. It could actually be played more competitively. It would also mean that people can't hold multiple skulls. You jsut kill someone, get their skull and score a point immediately. You can also pick up your teammates' skulls to prevent the enemy from scoring.

Territories:
-3 hills, no more, no less. One in the middle and 2 around them on each side of the map. Similar to the KotH hill locations.
-Score limit should be much higher than it is right now. Matches shouldn't be over after 2 minutes.
-Should only be played on symmetrical maps that aren't segmented too much. Boardwalk is laughably bad for this gametype.

A big problem with objective gametypes lately is the fact that they've been kind of a last minute thing. Bungie didn't even have a "flag stolen" notification. That's how little they cared about objective. They just entered some random numbers in the gametypes settings and were done with it. Applying the changes I've named would make them all less gimmicky and more consistent. You'd actually be able to properly play them competitively.

Keep in mind that this list applies to 4v4 (or 5v5 now) only. For BTB different settings should be used. BTB only should have CTF and Bomb though, maybe territories.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The upside of being sick, David, is that you can chill on your couch and read our (somewhat) horrible opinions all day!

Feel better man! You just completed Halo 4!

bGanci

Banned
Spoiler alert one of the maps is inside the mammoth. And one spectator gets to drive it. But there are 10 mammoths on the map playing race. If red team is winning your mammoth is slower. Faster if blue team is winning. If your blue and mammoths wins you unlock sages beared as a helmet.

Talents

Banned
I've got a question about Waypoint. When they ban one of your accounts, you get a message saying you've been banned presumably, yet once you are banned, you are unable to view the messages. What's the point?

Ok, top of page.
iX7u0R3XZ6S5A.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If Assault is gone, I wouldn't be surprised if 343 doesn't comment on its removal. Like, ever. They'll talk about all the stuff they have been working on. We'll be left to desperately check the custom settings on launch day, then trounce our Xboxes and cry ourselves to sleep.

Top Bottom