• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm excited to hear more of Halogafs thoughts on the game, between NYCC and first look this weekend a lot of halogaf will touch the game.

I need you to all talk dirty to me after you play it

And I really don't think I can last another 30 days without touching the game - I'm having serious withdrawals.

Yea I know. The podcast we do should be a really good one. Expecting it to be day after day of just gushing over the game.

I hope I get to play a ton of matches too so I can get a really good feel of the game. No honeymoon stuff.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm excited to hear more of Halogafs thoughts on the game, between NYCC and first look this weekend a lot of halogaf will touch the game.

I need you to all talk dirty to me after you play it

And I really don't think I can last another 30 days without touching the game - I'm having serious withdrawals.

yep same for me, I can't even play Halo 3/Reach or Borderlands to get me really busy, I would prefer playing Halo 4.

The Ragnarok video looks good, strange things:

• Mantis can't be boarded
  • The boost of the Banshee lasts really long
  • Still think Jetpack and Camo will be annoying on that map

Striker

few things about ign ragnarok vid

• editor forgot to turn off resample or something, footage came out weird (not gameplay/h4)
  • no real weakness spot for the mantis seems weird
  • map looks great
Without knowing where the Sniper Rifle spawns, there's no real reason for players to enter the bases. You may spawn with a BR (or whatever long range rifle), may spawn with a Plasma Pistol, and there's (based off that War Games image) no Assault.

So, once again, it's about maintaining the vehicles (in this map, it's the Mantis and Banshee), and the center hill.

So Ragnarok looks pretty identical flow-wise to Valhalla. I was hoping for more alterations to pathways, but I'll be happy to play in that gorge once again.

yep same for me, I can't even play Halo 3/Reach or Borderlands to get me really busy, I would prefer playing Halo 4.

Even Halo 3 which I love feels dull in comparison with 4, happy wars and the medal of honour beta will distract me for a couple of days but such a long wait!

Where did you play btw? Where you at eurogamer?

Woorloog

Banned
As someone who has had a longstanding fascination with the space elevator since Halo 2's title screen - seeing it fall in ODST was a devastating dream come true - this pleases me. Greatly.

And me.
Hmm. I can't remember if i read about space elevators before or after Halo 2. I reckon it was after, the concept is intriguing.

Good to finally know what the rings on the elevator do.

Well, you can't hijack a Scorpion either. Mantis is a walking tank sorta, so maybe that's why.

What? Can't hijack the Scorpion? Why can't we do that any longer?

EDIT, oh hijack, as in "board and hijack". You can still kill the driver, disembark and get in, right?

Mantis can be boarded. At least you can board it like a Scorpion, Wraith tank, and plant a grenade. I did it.

IHaveIce

Banned
Even Halo 3 which I love feels dull in comparison with 4, happy wars and the medal of war beta will distract me for a couple of days but such a long wait!

Where did you play btw? Where you at eurogamer?

Yes, was there on Thursday.

And I also played today 3 matches of Halo 3 and thought "Yeah that's not the same", I hope the month goes really quick and we can finally play it.

No, it can be boarded and destroyed, but can't be hijacked (just like a Scorpion or Wraith). I assume the rationale for all three is their slow base speed.

Mantis can be boarded. At least you can board it like a Scorpion, Wraith tank, and plant a grenade. I did it.
Ah yes thanks guys, got it wrong, this is good to know.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the mancannons have been given a nerf. This is what I was worried about.

RIP Valhalla's mancannons. You brought so much joy to the map.

What? Can't hijack the Scorpion? Why can't we do that any longer?

EDIT, oh hijack, as in "board and hijack". You can still kill the driver, disembark and get in, right?

Looks like the Mantis pilot is 100% invulnerable. Only way to take him down is to board and grenade/meleeing the Mantis itself or straight-up destroy the Mantis.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah. I'm pretty sure the mancannons have been given a nerf. This is what I was worried about.

RIP Valhalla's mancannons. You brought so much joy to the map.

Also much pain. The side ones were fine, but that middle one went too high. The point of them was to get you into the action faster, not get you killed each time you used them. :p

We do have sprint now too, so you don't need them to push as far.

Karl2177

Also much pain. The side ones were fine, but that middle one went too high. The point of them was to get you into the action faster, not get you killed each time you used them. :p

It's part of the risk/reward factor of the man cannons. It gets you into the action faster, but it is vulnerable. If you died everytime you went into the man cannon, you were going up against some skilled opponents(or were just stupid enough to go when they had center control).

The middle ones didn't go too high. Not to doubt anyone who brings up the point, but why is it that only now – after the mancannons have been given a nerf – that we're hearing people got killed a lot by using them? I don't remember hearing much about that during Halo 3's heyday. Getting killed while using the center mancannon was, at best, a rare occasion in my experience. And one of the main features of a mancannon is to expose you to an element of danger. I made a post about this a while ago as to why this is a good thing:
The mancannons in Halo 4 seem to operate like the mancannons in Reach, sadly: propelling you in a safe, low, and deliberate way so as to avoid fall damage or any danger. Reach mancannons were not fun for these reasons. Halo 3's mancannons were fun because they launched you high into the air, exposed you to an element of danger (thereby adding risk and a bit of an adrenaline rush), and being able to land safely to engage in battle immediately.
Mancannons in the same design as Reach's are boring, and no risk to using them is a part of the reason. :(

Still eager to try out Ragnarok, but I'm a bit disappointed.

Sai-kun

Banned
My favorite thing in the WORLD/UNIVERSE/WHOLE OF EXISTENCE was to grab the splaser and just wait for folks to come out of the center man cannon.

Some people never learn.

Do you do anything OTHER than troll this thread these days?

Heckfu not trolling?

Rr2cA.gif

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
The middle ones didn't go too high. Not to doubt anyone who brings up the point, but why is it that only now – after the mancannons have been given a nerf – that we're hearing people got killed a lot by using them? I don't remember hearing much about that during Halo 3's heyday. Getting killed while using the center mancannon was, at best, a rare occasion in my experience. And one of the main features of a mancannon is to expose you to an element of danger. I made a post about this a while ago as to why this is a good thing:

Mancannons in the same design as Reach's are boring, and no risk to using them is a part of the reason. :(

Dun worry, if you really want to live out your fantasy of being sniped out of the air after using the mancannon there's always Forge.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Actually in watching the video, how are they nerfed? From what I remember he is landing in very close to the exact same spot as Halo 3. I remember because I would always use the momentum when landing to propel myself across the river from the water base, and he just landed in the video very close to the same spot.

The water looks great but I am going to miss the physic fun. Next Halo, next Halo. I cannot wait.

I did not know which game you played but at the end the killing was a serious problem in my opinion. I haven't used the man cannon in most of the cases because it meant death to me. The opposite sniper just had to find the correct position and to time his shoots and would get tons of easy kills. Maybe it was not a problem for you or here at GAF but I remember some discussion about it at other sites.

At the end people should fear the Binary Rifle + Ammo combination...

Tawpgun

To those that were at SDCC, how big was the Halo 4 line? Comic Con isn't a primarily video game thing, and NYCC is the lest publicized version of comic con. So I'm hoping there won't be too many people at the Halo 4 booth.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Here's where he landed from the man cannon. As mentioned I always used the momentum to propel myself across that river. It looks very close to Halo 3. I could also see clearly into the other base while he was in mid air.

(Sorry for blurry pic, video is not clear)

Capture.PNG

raindoc

i didn't play H3 MP much, but when i did, it was usually BTB on Valhalla. very excited to see this.

Is that a Halo in the middle? 0_o

Oh my god.

My reaction exactly...

which vid is that screen from?
is that supposed to be a "map" of requiem?

One sleep until this becomes an importqant part of the universe fiction again...

any ideas around what time i should expect FUD, haloGAF?

Bonnie Ross said:
Kenneth, who fell for the “this space is just temporary while our real space is under repair” line during the interview process, joined our team as the Art Director. When the reality of the bad space set in, Kenneth started doing phone interviews for potential candidates in the hallway because there were no private meeting spaces. When it got too noisy in hallway, Kenneth moved his office to the men’s bathroom instituting a do not flush policy during phone interviews. Some of our best talent was recruited from the men’s bathroom. It was my own wailing and lamentation over Kenneth’s bathroom interviews that finally got my manager to approve us moving to a new space.
simpsons-crowd-shock-homer-smile.gif
Masterful post.

Tashi

Here's where he landed from the man cannon. As mentioned I always used the momentum to propel myself across that river. It looks very close to Halo 3. I could also see clearly into the other base while he was in mid air.

(Sorry for blurry pic, video is not clear)

Capture.PNG

I was just going to ask about slide jumping. Will test out next week.

Also, I just wanted to say I am kind of shocked how faithful Ragnarock looks. The hills, rocks and sightlines seemed to be really on point. Bottom base looked a little bigger but that's nothing.

the best thing about Ragnarock are the.... rocks. seriously, the guy or guys that do the rocks for halo 4 are masterful.

also... is it just a coincidence that the carbine skin is grey and orange :p

Watching that Ragnarok walkthrough and hearing the comments about it I just know the Binary Rifle is going to be the AWP of Halo and will be just as divisive.

willow ve

The mancannons in Halo 4 seem to operate like the mancannons in Reach, sadly: propelling you in a safe, low, and deliberate way so as to avoid fall damage or any danger. Reach mancannons were not fun for these reasons. Halo 3's mancannons were fun because they launched you high into the air, exposing you to an element of danger (thereby adding risk and a bit of an adrenaline rush), and being able to land safely to engage in battle immediately.

That seems to be the only big difference to the map physics that is apparent in the IGN video. Other than that change (and maybe the lower level of each base is taller?) it looks to be a near pixel perfect remake. Let's hope I get Shotty Snipers as my first game in Halo 4 on Ragnarok (was my first game in 3).

Tashi

Watching that Ragnarok walkthrough and hearing the comments about it I just know the Binary Rifle is going to be the AWP of Halo and will be just as divisive.

As someone who was just playing CS:GO, fuck that one hit sniper. That doesn't seem to have the nerfs like the Binary Rifle does. I actually can't wait to see what it's like to go up against one.

God there are so many subtle details to be discovered in this game. Like, how easy it is to no scope. Can I sweep snipe? How easy is it to snipe people in the back of the head?

Vire

I like that the middle cannon shoots you lower. After a while, I just stopped using it because I would get sniped all the time.

nillapuddin

Hey Beckx,

where are you pickin up the game?

I know you like Oceanic, and Im getting mine at Walmart which means Ill get the skin pack.

But Id much rather give it to someone who would really enjoy it

moot point if your also getting at walmart

Dax, do you have the next thread ready to go?
Is Ghaleon not going to be available? I can do it if he's not.
Dun worry, if you really want to live out your fantasy of being sniped out of the air after using the mancannon there's always Forge.
Are you talking about in Halo 3 or Halo 4? If you're talking about Halo 3, I've already said I hardly found that to be a problem. Maybe it was because I'm not that great and I got matched up against average players, I dunno, but it wasn't a problem for me. *shrug* I liked that element of danger that came with it.

If you're talking about Halo 4, is that why the mancannons were changed? Because of additions like the binary rifle and such (as Hyper pointed out)? If that's the case, that's perfectly understandable. I'm just expressing my regret to see them altered because a good deal of the fun I got from Valhalla was the mancanons. It's my favorite map ever. I'm just worried about not liking the remake.
Actually in watching the video, how are they nerfed? From what I remember he is landing in very close to the exact same spot as Halo 3. I remember because I would always use the momentum when landing to propel myself across the river from the water base, and he just landed in the video very close to the same spot.
Height, not distance.

Top Bottom