• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Dun worry, if you really want to live out your fantasy of being sniped out of the air after using the mancannon there's always Forge.

So are you saying the Ragnarok mancannons are forge objects? Cool. In the vid they look like static objects like they were in Halo 3.

-------
So you can board the Mantis and plant a grenade, but you can't hijack/steal one unless the occupant voluntarily gets out (or is killed).

Kind of sucks if you're racing to your team's freshly spawned Mantis and an enemy gets there first. Your only option is to destroy it...

I still think something similar to C&C Renegade would be a nice experiment for Halo.
- Warthog spawns in Red base, it is locked to Red team for 15 seconds.
- Red players can immediately hop in and drive it.
- Blue players can't get in until the 15 seconds have passed. They can damage/destroy the hog immediately though.
- If a Red player hops in and then gets out (or gets boarded), the Hog is immediately unlocked for Blue regardless of timer.

- You can use Forge to change which team a vehicle belongs to and how long the timer lasts. Neutral is the default setting, which means anyone can hop in immediately.

nillapuddin

Wouldnt you just melee the Mantis until it kills the driver

Dismount

then "pilot" it?

Just like with the wraith and scorpion, I dont understand the confusion here

Youve never had to blow up a vehicle you board, people just either plant a nade or get carried away with the melee button

Vire

It was a free ticket to die. Even if you didn't get sniped you could get pinged by a BR, Laser or a body shot snipe. It wasn't fun and it discouraged people from using the middle canon.

One of the few problems with Valhalla. Glad it goes the same distance though.

I'm excited to hear more of Halogafs thoughts on the game, between NYCC and first look this weekend a lot of halogaf will touch the game.

I need you to all talk dirty to me after you play it

And I really don't think I can last another 30 days without touching the game - I'm having serious withdrawals.
Tell me about it. Been since early July for me.

GhaleonEB

Also much pain. The side ones were fine, but that middle one went too high. The point of them was to get you into the action faster, not get you killed each time you used them. :p

We do have sprint now too, so you don't need them to push as far.

I think some of the point was to add danger to the route (the MP vidoc went into this). Otherwise they would have used teleporters.

It was like hearing "pull!" shouted every time I heard one go off.

Wait, can you not run up the front of the bases anymore?

What's the bullshit justification for this?

iP8FbDtiVATuQ.png

iblQnSKvKk4Lt7.png
Looks like there is still a sliver that isn't blocked so you can walk up beside the central mancannon. That front panel seems to be a little steeper than it was in Halo 3, but is possibly still climbable.

Hopefully the base is a little more Forge-able than it was in 3. I'd like to have the option of putting a mancannon on the right side, or delete the wall on the front beneath the central mancannon to add another door and open up the basement a bit more.

iblQnSKvKk4Lt7.png

It looks like that central panel on the base is forgeable if people want to add a front entrance. Same to the optional slot for adding a mancannon on the right.

iyUICGcehi66P.png

I need to see this in native resolution, Halo 4 can look so weird on video sometimes. This looks like a still using RvB's crappy CGI from season 9 but in-game I'm sure it looks amazing.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I think some of the point was to add danger to the route (the MP vidoc went into this). Otherwise they would have used teleporters.

It was like hearing "pull!" shouted every time I heard one go off.

Players have more opportunities to spawn with mid-long range weapons in Halo 4. The change in launch angles for the mancannons in Ragnarok is a reflection of this.

Wait, can you not run up the front of the bases anymore?

What's the bullshit justification for this?

Someone definitely got out their jump to conclusion mat this morning. You can still run up the front of the Ragnarok bases in Halo 4. Though you'll probably want to use sprint as it makes it a little easier.

Beckx

Hey Beckx,

where are you pickin up the game?

I know you like Oceanic, and Im getting mine at Walmart which means Ill get the skin pack.

But Id much rather give it to someone who would really enjoy it

moot point if your also getting at walmart

Currently have it on pre-order from Amazon, but thinking about switching to a Gamestop for midnight launch, as the idea of seeing all of the comments, tweets, pictures etc. until my copy arrives is unendurable. Either of those skins packs of interest to you?

nillapuddin

Currently have it on pre-order from Amazon, but thinking about switching to a Gamestop for midnight launch, as the idea of seeing all of the comments, tweets, pictures etc. until my copy arrives is unendurable. Either of those skins packs of interest to you?

hmm..

I mean not particularly, Id like the Amazon Web skin more than the instantly given away sad camo one, but Im not going to compromise your midnight launch

I can just give you mine, nothing in return

ill have to make sure I havent hinted I would give it to someone else and forgot

i do wanna be spiderman though lol
Ill have to work a deal with somebody

Wow, $8 for a Reach GOnD code? Not bad. Then again, it still costs $35 to add all 11 downloadable adversarial multiplayer maps, most of which you can't even be guaranteed of playing in matchmaking anymore (aside from playing Anniversary settings Slayer/Objective on Damnation, Beaver Creek, Prisoner, or Hang 'Em High, or Anniversary Snipers on Headlong, sorry Timberland).

Ragnarok looks like dried shit. It's like they left it out in the sun for too long, or wanted to make it look as arid and dull as possible.

Mission accomplished, boys and girls of 343.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So you can board the Mantis and plant a grenade, but you can't hijack/steal one unless the occupant voluntarily gets out (or is killed).

Kind of sucks if you're racing to your team's freshly spawned Mantis and an enemy gets there first. Your only option is to destroy it...

Sounds like the tank. :p

Falagard

Graphical glitch on Ragnarok at 9:27 on the right side of the rock. Goes all black and glitchy for a second. Fix your shit 343.

http://youtu.be/UEIB2txWyeo?t=9m27s

(probably just a video encoding problem, lol, because it only shows up in the HD version)

*edit* LOVE Ragnarok, sooo glad that it was the remake.

DeadNames

Banned
Man, say what you want, but I love the Mantis. It looks super fun and can hopefully can bring something new to the BTB table. I just hope that it and the Mammoth aren't the only new vehicles.

senador

Banned
We've been able to board and hijack every multiplayer, with the exception of the Elephant, up until now right? Why would the Mantis be different. I'm fairly certain it can be stolen. The stomp is probably a defense against that.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
We've been able to board and hijack every multiplayer, with the exception of the Elephant, up until now right? Why would the Mantis be different. I'm fairly certain it can be stolen. The stomp is probably a defense against that.

You can board the Mantis, you just destroy it. The tank has been the same way forever too. You just can't pull someone out of it and get in it yourself.

nillapuddin

Smart Players_

Step 1:
Board the Mantis

Step 2:
Melee conservatively until the driver is killed

Step 3:
Dismount the Mantis

Step 4:
Get in the now slightly damaged, driverless Mantis

-------------------------------

Actual Players_

Step 1:
Board the Mantis

Step 2:
Hit the melee button like it will save your moms death and plant all the nades you have

Step 3:
Get blown up in the impending completely unnecessary explosions

Shadders

I tested the jump distances when I played Ragnarok and felt the landing areas were comparable to Halo 3. I didn't really pay attention to jump height though, I guess they have a lower arc, but similar distance?

Gui_PT

Smart Players_

Step 1:
Board the Mantis

Step 2:
Melee conservatively until the driver is killed

Step 3:
Dismount the Mantis

Step 4:
Get in the now slightly damaged, driverless Mantis

In a 1v1? Sure

In a match where the enemy team has 5 players? Seems unlikely you'll survive that. Unless the team is made of idiots.

Top Bottom