• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Dani said:
Yeah, seems so. =\

I'll still be keeping tabs on all the info, probably via my site like I did before the Beta. Looks like we'll have to wait until after E3, but I have asked for clarification although it seems we won't have a Reach E3 mega thread.
So I'm going to have to check up on multiple threads during E3? Bleh.

Gui_PT said:
How old are you guys? 70?

21. :lol I only know because at the retail store I worked at in high school they did 'safety bingo' where you could win like $120 for not having workplace accidents. It was in my best interest to know.

Genesis Knight said:
21. :lol I only know because at the retail store I worked at in high school they did 'safety bingo' where you could win like $120 for not having workplace accidents. It was in my best interest to know.
We have something similar, only it's about making fun of the weird shit our boss says.

And I'm more than halfway to 70, so laugh it up. :-b

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
We have something similar, only it's about making fun of the weird shit our boss says.

And I'm more than halfway to 70, so laugh it up. :-b
You and I are old enough to have many of the posters here as kids. And Wu could be our dad.

Wow, so after I played some BC2 yesterday for the first time in months, I realized that I only seem to have fun in multi-player games when I play Halo and nothing else, only co-op or SP for everything else.

Gui_PT said:
How old are you guys? 70?
haha they taught us bingo in elementary school and made us play it. I remember having to play it in the 3rd grade and hating the shit out of it. It was like Georgia's school system was training all the little kids how to be old grannies.

feel

haha dani, that's awesome

and good to have a demo confirmation by ManCannon, tbh up till now we were just running on assumptions.

Gui_PT

Letters said:
haha dani, that's awesome

and good to have a demo confirmation by ManCannon, tbh up till now we were just running on assumptions.

Speaking of demo. Does anyone have a link to the Halo CE campaign that was shown at E3 before the game came out? It was on Silent Cartographer I believe.

Never got to watch that =\

Yeah e3 bingo.

Played some Firefight tonight, I was afraid that after Reach Beta it was going be quite hard coming back to ODST...and I was wrong, had a blast.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Right, that's it, done. If I missed out on some other important Bingo rule or element, screw it. :lol
WEE2.gif

Great news about the music.

And i was thinking, i hope everyone really savors, appreciates and enjoys this last (for a least 10 years) Halo Bungie game cause I'm predicting that it will be the last really good one we get for a long long time. You never appreciate what u have until its gone. ;)

Kapura

Banned
I hate to be a bother about the ossim Reach Bingo, but shouldn't the BR be in the top left corner? You know, the one that corresponds to B in BINGO and R in REACH?

Dax01 said:
So I'm going to have to check up on multiple threads during E3? Bleh.
What? They make us put |OT| in every thread title to make the main page easier to read, but now we're going to have 500 seperate thread for every bit of newly announced info? GAF admins don't make any sense at all. This will only clutter up shit. Didn't they get mad at us for having two threads like 4 months ago?

Silly.Mikey said:
You never appreciate what u have until its gone. ;)
Halo 2

Wizman23

Banned
So how do you guys think Reach is going to sell? Apparently I'm an idiot according to that other thread because I think it will sell more then Halo 3.

GhaleonEB said:
You and I are old enough to have many of the posters here as kids. And Wu could be our dad.
:lol :lol that does kind of freak me out a little bit.

Dani said:
Right, that's it, done. If I missed out on some other important Bingo rule or element, screw it. :lol

Great news about the music.
Looks great; you took out all the ones I would have.

GhaleonEB

Stormtrooper30 said:
What? They make us put |OT| in every thread title to make the main page easier to read, but now we're going to have 500 seperate thread for every bit of newly announced info? GAF admins don't make any sense at all. This will only clutter up shit. Didn't they get mad at us for having two threads like 4 months ago?
Yes. But from the sticky thread, it sounds like the concern is with multiple salvos of news getting buried in the mega threads that erupt around E3. So if Bungie has a campaign demo on stage at E3, that will get a thread. And if they announce and demo Firefight later in the show (as they did at last year's E3 for ODST), there will be a thread for that, to ensure people don't miss it during the insanity that is E3.

Whether Dani can make his interim Halo discussion thread after E3 is still an open question.
Sai-kun said:
spoiler: ghaleon is actually our dad.

this

changes

everything
I've got a plate full of green beans and a folder of homework for you. After that, it's shower, teeth and bed for you. Son. *strokes beard*
Wizman23 said:
So how do you guys think Reach is going to sell? Apparently I'm an idiot according to that other thread because I think it will sell more then Halo 3.
I think it will pass Halo 3 as being the best selling Halo title by a fair margin.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kapura said:
I hate to be a bother about the ossim Reach Bingo, but shouldn't the BR be in the top left corner? You know, the one that corresponds to B in BINGO and R in REACH?

I was purposely trying to annoy folks that would point out things like that. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Silly.Mikey said:
And i was thinking, i hope everyone really savors, appreciates and enjoys this last (for a least 10 years) Halo Bungie game cause I'm predicting that it will be the last really good one we get for a long long time. You never appreciate what u have until its gone. ;)

Why? They aren't going anywhere. It isn't like their partnership with MS made them awesome. Now they can make multiplatform games for everyone to enjoy without restriction.

Wizman23 said:
What other thread?

In time it will I'd say. The 360 is old at this stage. Reach is not going to be the launch title that Halo 3 was. We can only hope whatever surpasses the 360 will have none of that bs backwards compatability that we have today. I think besides whatever post release stuff Bungie do and whatever marketing strategy they have, the 360 itself is a major factor to consider. Halo 3 had 3-4 great years on the 360. Will Reach carry over to the next gen whener it comes about?

Hey You

GhaleonEB said:
Yes. But from the sticky thread, it sounds like the concern is with multiple salvos of news getting buried in the mega threads that erupt around E3. So if Bungie has a campaign demo on stage at E3, that will get a thread. And if they announce and demo Firefight later in the show (as they did at last year's E3 for ODST), there will be a thread for that, to ensure people don't miss it during the insanity that is E3.

That's pretty lame.

Kapura said:
On another note, will anybody from the expendables- er, community pod be live-tweeting E3 like at the spike VGAs?

You mean from Bungie? I would assume urk and Brian would do so, along side any other employees heading down there.

Gui_PT

Hey You said:
That's pretty lame.

It may be "lame" to us regular Halo Gaffers who read this thread everyday.

But for someone who doesn't follow the thread like us everyday, it makes more sense to have one thread for each separate topic. It's easier to find stuff and not get lost.

Wizman23

Banned
Hydranockz said:
What other thread?

In time it will I'd say. The 360 is old at this stage. Reach is not going to be the launch title that Halo 3 was. We can only hope whatever surpasses the 360 will have none of that bs backwards compatability that we have today. I think besides whatever post release stuff Bungie do and whatever marketing strategy they have, the 360 itself is a major factor to consider. Halo 3 had 3-4 great years on the 360. Will Reach carry over to the next gen whener it comes about?

The thread about Halo 3 selling more copies then some of the biggest first party games on PS3 combined.

Anyways I understand that the 360 is in its later stages of its life cycle however there are a shit ton more 360's out there now then there were in September of 07. This is the biggest and most ambitious project Bungie has ever done. I wouldn't be surprised if the marketing campaign is just as big and ambitious. Very interested to see what Bungie has in store for us Monday.

Arhal_Katarn

Wizman23 said:
The thread about Halo 3 selling more copies then some of the biggest first party games on PS3 combined.

Anyways I understand that the 360 is in its later stages of its life cycle however there are a shit ton more 360's out there now then there were in September of 07. This is the biggest and most ambitious project Bungie has ever done. I wouldn't be surprised if the marketing campaign is just as big and ambitious. Very interested to see what Bungie has in store for us Monday.

I posted in the thread, i think reach will outsell 3. After e3 the marketing machine will kick in,not to mention there are far more 360 owners then there where in 07.

People on gaf always write off Halo its cool to hate it on here. (not in this thread obv)

GhaleonEB

Wizman23 said:

And bear in mind, Microsoft is calling it the biggest title of the year. They're going to market it as such.

I think that, combined with the growth of the 360 user base (in Europe especially), the scope of Reach, the way it improves on player investment and the span since Halo 3 will all be factors.

GhaleonEB said:
And bear in mind, Microsoft is calling it the biggest title of the year. They're going to market it as such.

I think that, combined with the growth of the 360 user base (in Europe especially), the scope of Reach, the way it improves on player investment and the span since Halo 3 will all be factors.
I'm hoping that Reach breaks Halo 3's first-day sales.

Dax01 said:
I'm hoping that Reach breaks Halo 3's first-day sales.

It can also beat MW2's first-day sales, on the 360 of course.

It's hard to compare though, since MW is a november release and Halo comes in pretty early this time.

But I think that Reach will surpass H3 by a good margin sales-wise.

ManCannon

metareferential said:
But I think that Reach will surpass H3 by a good margin sales-wise.

We certainly hope so.. why invest 3 years in a project if you don't expect to top your last outting? We still stand by it being "the definitive Halo title from the people who created Halo", hopefully that translates into moniez.

At a minimum the installed base is significantly higher than it was during the Halo 3 days and from the sounds of it, the marketing blitz may very well surpass anything that's come before it.

Crazy that our release date is exactly three months from the Xbox keynote. What a crazy three months it's going to be...

Oh and good news, most all of my favorite Reach shots met the quality bar and you'll be seeing them soon.

ManCannon said:
We certainly hope so.. why invest 3 years in a project if you don't expect to top your last outting? We still stand by it being "the definitive Halo title from the people who created Halo", hopefully that translates into moniez.

At a minimum the installed base is significantly higher than it was during the Halo 3 days and from the sounds of it, the marketing blitz may very well surpass anything that's come before it.

Crazy that our release date is exactly three months from the Xbox keynote. What a crazy three months it's going to be...

Oh and good news, most all of my favorite Reach shots met the quality bar and you'll be seeing them soon.

I also think the fact that it is more of a departure from the Halo 2/3 model is getting a lot of people interested that perhaps wouldn't be otherwise. The countdown to E3 continues.

Kapura

Banned
ManCannon said:

Friday soon or E3 soon? Also, use the twitters in LA or make urk do it.

ManCannon said:

Well, I tried to be as serious and neutral as I could in that post.

But hey, if you remind me of that "definitive halo" refrain, I'll just say that Reach will beat every other industry record.

And even this is a reasonable guess. xD

ManCannon said:

<3 you guys.

FourDoor

I don't think it's even in question if Reach will pass H3 in sales or not. The real question is how long will it stay as XBL's #1 most played game? I'm expecting some megatons to be dropping at E3!!!

EazyB

Banned
Here's the game plan, Dani. You've got to post the first Reach E3 thread, have it titled appropriately e.g. "Skirmishers revealed to make afroman BaKaaw sound" then just update it with all the news anyways and we can keep our HaloGAF discussions in there without them being strewn about several random threads. If you don't make the first thread, post on the first page and update it as if it were the OP, rest of the plan proceeds as before.

Brian could always give you the first E3 screenshot of Halo Reach to be released in the new thread only minutes before the conference starts. :D

GhaleonEB said:

Whether Dani can make his interim Halo discussion thread after E3 is still an open question.
I understand their reasoning for general game info, but I'd rather have someone who's invested in the OP, create the thread. That way all the info, both minor and major, will be amassed in the OP. The way they want it done it'll be harder to miss each major announcement about a game (provided one doesn't sink off the first couple pages) but the minor announcement will be hidden and if the OP isn't invested in the game as much, they won't be updating the OP to include all of these minor things.

Personally I'll try my best to keep up with any and all Reach-related threads (reading every post) but who knows with all the other games that could show up. For those less dedicated it'll be harder and each thread will be full of people asking questions about things already answered in minor updates.

Captain Blood said:
I also think the fact that it is more of a departure from the Halo 2/3 model is getting a lot of people interested that perhaps wouldn't be otherwise.
And vice versa.

I still got it!

ManCannon said:

Glad to hear it. Can't wait until the hype train kicks into full gear.

feel

They had a live action ad for the freakin beta ffs. The marketing campaign for ship will be nothing short of ridiculous. Can't wait.
Kapura said:
Friday soon or E3 soon? Also, use the twitters in LA or make urk do it.
better yet, strap a camera to urk somehow and make him livestream everything for us at home.

ZayneH said:
I AM NOT ZEOUTERLIMITS AND I'M SURE HE WOULDN'T WANT TO BE ME EITHER.

I hope you lose now. Jerk.

:p

I misread the Z's, its a sign of respect though, I remembered you guys without looking at the names!
Yeah, bad excuse, sorry!
Browsing gaf at like 3 am after reading thick textbooks leads to bad mistakes. =(

Also, congrats Tashi! Nice board Dani

The Halo 3 and 2 promotion's were pretty over the top, I wonder what they have planned for Reach. I cant wait for the ARG to start :p

Top Bottom