• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Hydranockz said:
Zeouterlimits, if you are reading this, please please please post that pic your girlfriend drew. Cleanse my eyes of this parasite!!!
All in due time friend.
Domino Theory said:
Under the newest poll on Bnet, the first response is "Super Secret Bungie Stuff".

Why'd they put "Bungie Stuff" and not "Reach Stuff"?

New IP at E3 get! :D
Or at least maybe we'll get to hear about Aerospace.

GhaleonEB

Domino Theory said:
Under the newest poll on Bnet, the first response is "Super Secret Bungie Stuff".

Don't get too excited. Bungie has said they won't be showing the new IP this year. It's not far enough along at this point for the public anyways.

Kibbles

Halo Waypoint showing past E3 videos? Sweet, I'm going to have to fire it up.

Is Microsoft getting rid of Halo 2 Vista as well? I went all around looking for it and nobody has it, yet they have other GFWL games and old ass games. I'd rather not order online, but I guess I'll have to. I'm iffy about getting the game now...

No new IP yet please. The less I hear about Bungie and Activision during the long hype train for Halo: Reach, the better. It's too soon, and E3 should be all about Reach, huge blowout. I suspect whatever Aerospace is, it will be revealed as well. The Bungie Aerospace site has said "Coming Soon" for a while now.

Merguson

Banned
Heh, I forgot about the wildlife during the E3 2000 demo. On that note, has Bungie said anything about wildlife in Halo Reach? I don't remember.

EazyB

Banned
Merguson said:
Heh, I forgot about the wildlife during the E3 2000 demo. On that note, has Bungie said anything about wildlife in Halo Reach? I don't remember.
Tomorrelo said there was definitely wildlife to be fought on Reach. Expect to see it at E3 since he only played early missions so it probably won't be held off as a surprise. Whether or not you can ride them, that's what I expect everyone's waiting to find out.

Link

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Domino Theory said:

Sony Press Conference...Believe

Merguson

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Wildlife is in.

EazyB said:
Tomorrelo said there was definitely wildlife to be fought on Reach. Expect to see it at E3 since he only played early missions so it probably won't be held off as a surprise. Whether or not you can ride them, that's what I expect everyone's waiting to find out.

Link

Sounds interesting. I now remember posting in one of the Reach threads I wanted to ride wildlife. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dani said:
..Bah!

Master-Chief.jpg

It's a Spartan BOOMER!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
EazyB said:

Link

Thanks for linking to that, I just realised that one of those early leaked screenshots shows a familiar level.

11537_324581430726_540780726_9650155_7522683_n.jpg

Remember this? Look familar? Yeah, it's one of the lower floors in Swordbase.

Judging by the earlier spoilers he gave, going to take a guess about the Campaign. Spoilered in guess anyone wants to keep virgin fresh.

Look at the level descriptions Morello gave, this must take place during the third level he described.

Tom Morello said:
The third stage is very similar to Truth and Reconciliation (the 3rd stage on Halo 1). You and another spartan have snipers. You have to get into the enemy base from the cliffs (you start out on the cliffs). While you go in the base, your spartan friend covers you from the cliffs above. At the end of this level, you save a bunch of scientists or marines (not really sure who they are actually). They are humans who refused to leave their site even though they ordered everyone to get out. At the end of the level you save them and get picked up by a pelican.

Seems like Swordbase when seen in the Campaign will be
changed to a night setting (not difficult since there's just one window and ceiling window most people don't even bother looking out for).

This ads up to since if you looked out of Swordbase's windows you'd notice it's perched on top of a cliff overlooking an airfield.

It also makes sense that it being an ONI base that certain scientists or personnel don't want to leave - obvious there's some projects or whatever they need to secure.

And speaking about wildlife...

Tom Morello said:
I found something really extraordinary. In the middle of mission 3, you encounter a bunch of covenant fighting this big ass monster (it had tusks, it seemed like some sort of prehistoric animal)

When you see the covenant fighting the monster, you are told not to engage combat, but to just go by unnoticed. You stand and watch the covenant fighting the monster, only to see the covenant get owned.

Look's like we'll be seeing it during the same mission as night time Swordbase. If that level really has a Truth and Reconciliation feel and beast messing up the Covenant and the Swordbase cameo, it should be really spectacular.

big ander

Dani said:
Thanks for linking to that, I just realised that one of those early leaked screenshots shows a familiar level.

11537_324581430726_540780726_9650155_7522683_n.jpg

Remember this? Look familar? Yeah, it's one of the lower floors in Swordbase.

Judging by the earlier spoilers he gave, going to take a guess about the Campaign. Spoilered in guess anyone wants to keep virgin fresh.

Look at the level descriptions Morello gave, this must take place during the third level he described.

Seems like Swordbase when seen in the Campaign will be
changed to a night setting (not difficult since there's just one window and ceiling window most people don't even bother looking out for).

This ads up to since if you looked out of Swordbase's windows you'd notice it's perched on top of a cliff overlooking an airfield.

It also makes sense that it being an ONI base that certain scientists or personnel don't want to leave - obvious there's some projects or whatever they need to secure.

And speaking about wildlife...

Look's like we'll be seeing it during the same mission as night time Swordbase. If that level really has a Truth and Reconciliation feel and beast messing up the Covenant and the Swordbase cameo, it should be really spectacular.
Nice catches.

zumphry

Banned
I'm going to be surprised if Aerospace turns out to not be a stat-tracking service (like Bungie.net) or their next game's/Halo Reach's engine. Though, I'd love to see it be their game engine. Would follow with what they did with Marathon: Infinity and gave people Forge and Anvil and when they released Marathon's source code for free after being bought by Microsoft.

Or it could be a trampoline/bouncy house company for all we know. I dunno.

EazyB

Banned
ZayneH said:
I'm going to be surprised if Aerospace turns out to not be a stat-tracking service (like Bungie.net) or their next game's/Halo Reach's engine. Though, I'd love to see it be their game engine. Would follow with what they did with Marathon: Infinity and gave people Forge and Anvil and when they released Marathon's source code for free after being bought by Microsoft.
Well their next IP is going to be multiplatform so I'd be willing to bet its a modified Reach engine that will work across on the PS3 as well. Doubt it'd be a brand new platform seeing as they've been pouring everything into this one for the last 3 years and even then Reach is built off their previous engines.

It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their level of visual, performance, and feature set while working within both system's constraints.

Captain Blood said:
This statement makes me haggard.
I turned that shit up loud expecting/hoping my girlfriend would mock me for listening to it but then she just started dancing...

Alienshogun said:
Why? They aren't going anywhere. It isn't like their partnership with MS made them awesome. Now they can make multiplatform games for everyone to enjoy without restriction.

Ya but im a huge Halo fan and i liked it when Bungie made the Halo games. :(

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, well all 343 or whomever takes over may do just fine by it. Now we get to see what Bungie can do without being stifled.

If u ask me, Activision doesn't exactly inspire confidence after how they treated IW.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Silly.Mikey said:
If u ask me, Activision doesn't exactly inspire confidence after how they treated IW.

It isn't the same deal here.

The relationship between IW and Activision is not the same as Bungie and it's relation to Activision.

Activision owned/owns IW, they do not own Bungie. It's simply a partnership.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Alienshogun said:

The relationship between IW and Activision is not the same as Bungie and it's relation to Activision.

You're spot on mate :p

Alienshogun said:

Ya i think ur right, but it still scares me considering IW made their biggest game and they didnt seem to give a shit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hydranockz said:
You're spot on mate :p

Much obliged!

Silly.Mikey said:
Ya i think ur right, but it still scares me considering IW made their biggest game and they didnt seem to give a shit.

I have faith in Bungie, they are one of the few developers I feel the way I do about.

They are right up there with Valve in my opinion.

zumphry

Banned
EazyB said:
Well their next IP is going to be multiplatform so I'd be willing to bet its a modified Reach engine that will work across on the PS3 as well. Doubt it'd be a brand new platform seeing as they've been pouring everything into this one for the last 3 years and even then Reach is built off their previous engines.

It'll be interesting to see if they can maintain their level of visual, performance, and feature set while working within both system's constraints.

I suppose you're right about it not being a new engine. Just hope it doesn't feel too much like Halo, but a evolution of it if the new IP uses a modified engine of it, and is a FPS. If you know what I mean.

Though, I definitely agree with you on seeing if they can keep their high bar going on more platforms. I trust that they do, but you never know.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ZayneH said:
I suppose you're right about it not being a new engine. Just hope it doesn't feel too much like Halo, but a evolution of it if the new IP uses a modified engine of it, and is a FPS. If you know what I mean.

Though, I definitely agree with you on seeing if they can keep their high bar going on more platforms. I trust that they do, but you never know.

I don't see why they wouldn't. If anything being away from MS frees them up more. I would expect better quality games personally.

Dirtbag

Alienshogun said:
I don't see why they wouldn't. If anything being away from MS frees them up more. I would expect better quality games personally.

It's hard for me to imagine a better quality halo game outside of the slip-up that was Halo2's campaign. If nothing else, you would have to admit the games are insanely polished.

ZayneH said:

I'm pretty much entirely convinced that the new IP will be a FPS. Honestly they make one of the best FPS's on the market, they've created a formula that makes millions of dollars. I don't actually expect them to stray very far from it. I'll stick my neck out and say they release a game that more akin to Halo then it is different.

ZayneH said:

I'd rather they go PC than PS3, solely so I can see how pretty a game they can really make.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I tried Honey BBQ Spicy Chicken for the first time today.

I have a bag of Chex Mix next to me.

E3 is next week with Halo: Reach and Gears of War 3 goodness.

2n6g0m.png

I'm surprised about all the Gears of War 3 love going on in this thread. I'm glad to see it though. I've been loving all the Gears 3 announcements so far.

Halo Reach and Gears 3 at E3 should be awesome! :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Alienshogun said:

Wait, what? Are you seriously suggesting Microsoft is somehow restraining the quality of Bungie's games? Oh come on.

Obviously Bungie has split from Microsoft and pursued their own destiny as a separate entity and the reasons and intentions are not for folks like us to know about. But have a quiet think about it.

It's more than likely Bungie got fed up developing Halo after Halo title. It's understandable, repetition breeds contempt eventually. Whilst I don't think Bungie will ever reach (!) that point, it's clear they wanted to move on and do their own thing. Which has happened.

If you've ever looked into Microsoft's quality controls and how they've worked with Bungie with focus groups and play testers, it's simply amazing the amount of work and polish that goes into the development from both parties. Bungie's games have greatly benefited from Microsoft as a publisher. To give one example, after what happened with Halo 2, Bungie could have easily been pressurised into rushing Halo 3 to market to launch beside the 360.

Obviously the relationship wasn't perfect, but Microsoft did great things for Bungie such as keeping them separate from the rest of Microsoft Game Studios and giving them their own studio building (which they'll be moving out of very soon).

Bungie's new partnership with Activision seems very similar to their relationship with Microsoft after Bungie regained their independence. Activision is fronting the development costs and handling the publishing and marketing costs whilst Bungie is doing what they do best, making new games. Just like the Microsoft agreement, Bungie are under contract "for ten years" and presumably have agreed to make X amount of games with X amount of support for each game within that time frame. The only difference is in relation to ownership of IP, which Bungie will now retain going forward. This means that they will fully control the license, they will have the final say on any games using this IP. If they decide they want branded underwear, it will be Bungie's call, not Activision's.

I honestly think Bungie will have learned enough from their relationship with Microsoft to retain their high standards that they set. Just take a look at Reach, the final Halo game that presumably Bungie is "forced" to make. Yeah, Bungie want to move on from Halo but Reach isn't less of a game because of it.

Dirtbag said:
I don't.
I'm not playing Bungie titles for the graphics.

Not sure why you'd be against PC, but ok, your console fanboyism. You imply that going to PC would mean a decrease in gameplay quality, where I would like to see a Bungie game that smokes everything graphically in addition to being fun to play.

Top Bottom