• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Thagomizer said:
Not sure why you'd be against PC, but ok, your console fanboyism. You imply that going to PC would mean a decrease in gameplay quality, where I would like to see a Bungie game that smokes everything graphically in addition to being fun to play.
I don't think PC vs consoles had anything to do with what he said, but ok, your PC fanboyism.

Dirtbag

Thagomizer said:
Not sure why you'd be against PC, but ok, your console fanboyism. You imply that going to PC would mean a decrease in gameplay quality, where I would like to see a Bungie game that smokes everything graphically in addition to being fun to play.

Simply put, a pc title outside of a MMO isn't going to get the Bungie budget dumped into it since the sales will never come close to matching the comparable console sales.

I also don't really care to see the best console developer out there go pc-only. I'll follow bungie alot of places, but buying a 'Crysis rig' ain't one of them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dirtbag said:
It's hard for me to imagine a better quality halo game outside of the slip-up that was Halo2's campaign. If nothing else, you would have to admit the games are insanely polished.

I'm pretty much entirely convinced that the new IP will be a FPS. Honestly they make one of the best FPS's on the market, they've created a formula that makes millions of dollars. I don't actually expect them to stray very far from it. I'll stick my neck out and say they release a game that more akin to Halo then it is different.

I may be misreading or you may be misinterpreting my meaning.

I'm saying Bungie is awesome, I can only imagine not having to abide by what MS wants will only improve their quality.

I have no problem stating that no matter what Bungies next IP is it will be a day 1 purchase from me no matter what it is.

Dani said:
Wait, what? Are you seriously suggesting Microsoft is somehow restraining the quality of Bungie's games? Oh come on....

No I'm more getting to the point where it will be something fresh and new and not constrained to Halo. They don't have to just focus on 1 theme any more. That in itself could be a bit constraining in my opinion.

I'm not saying that the relationship with MS was bad, I've reaped the benefits as have we all. I'm just saying it's fantastic Bungie isn't being limited to what they can do or want to do now.

Hydranockz said:
I don't think PC vs consoles had anything to do with what he said, but ok, your PC fanboyism.

His objection was to me saying that, if Bungie went anywhere, I'd rather them go PC than PS3 , the only reason being the game would be prettier. That's it. He, in turn, reacted like I said something along the lines of graphics being the only thing that matter or something stupid like that. I'm not really sure why he got so hostile to that statement, but whatever floats your boat, dude.

There's quite a difference between saying "I want Bungie to be able to do whatever they want with the graphics" and " HALO GRAPHICS SUX WORST GAME EVER LOLOLOL."

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thagomizer said:

I think you are missing his point.

He doesn't care what platform the game is on, he isn't playing it for graphics.

That's what I took away from his post anyway.

Dirtbag

Thagomizer said:
His objection was to me saying that, if Bungie went anywhere, I'd rather them go PC than PS3 , the only reason being the game would be prettier. That's it. He, in turn, reacted like I said something along the lines of graphics being the only thing that matter or something stupid like that. I'm not really sure why he got so hostile to that statement, but whatever floats your boat, dude.

There's quite a difference between saying "I want Bungie to be able to do whatever they want with the graphics" and " HALO GRAPHICS SUX WORST GAME EVER LOLOLOL."

Hostile? :lol

Dirtbag said:
Simply put, a pc title outside of a MMO isn't going to get the Bungie budget dumped into it since the sales will never come close to matching the comparable console sales.

I also don't really care to see the best console developer out there go pc-only. I'll follow bungie alot of places, but buying a 'Crysis rig' ain't one of them.

Where did I say I wanted them to go PC-only, pray tell?

I wouldn't buy a Crisis rig either, BTW. I have never owned a computer that was able to play the games released in the year I bought the computer higher than Medium, and I haven't even played a non-browser PC game since... *checks Steam page* ...January.

I just wouldn't mind not seeing the "HALO GRAPHICS SUX WORST GAME EVER LOLOLOLOL" trolls.

Dirtbag said:
Hostile? :lol

Yes, because that post implied that I play games for graphics, which is stupid.

Merguson

Banned
I don't care what platforms they develop for as long they continue to support the 360. I don't ever buy a console for one game and even if I did, I stick to one console only.

EDIT: Another HaloGAF day I suppose?

Wolffen

Dani said:
Bungie's new partnership with Activision seems very similar to their relationship with Microsoft after Bungie regained their independence. Activision is fronting the development costs and handling the publishing and marketing costs whilst Bungie is doing what they do best, making new games. Just like the Microsoft agreement, Bungie are under contract "for ten years" and presumably have agreed to make X amount of games with X amount of support for each game within that time frame. The only difference is in relation to ownership of IP, which Bungie will now retain going forward. This means that they will fully control the license, they will have the final say on any games using this IP. If they decide they want branded underwear, it will be Bungie's call, not Activision's.

My biggest concern about the Bungie/Activision partnership is that no matter what, if you do not have a significant amount of capital packed away, the publisher always has the upper hand. I'm sure Bungie has it in their contract that Activision has no control over the content of the games and such, but because Activision controls the money bag, they can stall critical payments to Bungie in an attempt to control Bungie. I'm sure there's been a number of developers that have been bled to death by a publisher stalling or otherwise "losing" payments the developers needed to keep afloat.

I'm sure Bungie has protected themselves as much as possible in their partnership with Activision, but when they're dealing with the publisher equivalent of Lucifer, it's difficult to trust that Activision won't pull something at some point.

All that said, I'm very excited about Bungie's next IP and where they go with it. I'm anxious to see how they take some of the things that have set Halo apart (screenshots, rendered films, Forge, Bungie.net integration with games) and pull that into their next game, which will be multiplatform. I mean, so much of Halo is tied to Bungie.net and your Xbox Live account...It brings to mind the question of how will they offer Bungie.net to PSN accounts? I look forward to finding out.

Meanwhile, Reach is just over 90 days away.:D

I would try to steady this ship with something awesome I just watched (amazing Reach montage) but I think I'll save it for a proper meltdown. Also, Chapel is still hard at work on the Gaf one. I might spoil his fun.

Dirtbag

les papillons sexuels said:
I just hope sacrifices aren't made in their new game for the sake of the ps3.

We're kind of getting to that point where it's the other way around. PS3 exclusives are IMO looking better. Though particles and ess-plosions seem better on all 360 titles across the board.

zumphry

Banned
Letters said:
the heck is going on

Want me to make a chart visualizing Dani's explanation (that'll go unnoticed besides sai__kun) to explain it? :p

Oh, and I don't know what is worse: Pre-E3 ants in my pantsipation (wtf? stop trying to be funny, me), or During/Post-E3 meltdowns and trolls?

Dirtbag said:
We're kind of getting to that point where it's the other way around. PS3 exclusives are IMO looking better. Though particles and ess-plosions seem better on all 360 titles across the board.

There's a lot to be said about that comment... but I'm mainly referring to bungie's history on the 360, and the house engine they use.

The problem isn't the the strength of the ps3, is that the experience bungie has with the 360, and programming for it compared to the ps3. If you design an engine specifically for one platform, it's going to struggle when ported, even unreal has it's issues, you'll always have challenges in that regard, and I just want bungie to exploit the 360 to it's max in it's following games. So hopefully they don't dumb down the 360 version if they happen to play catch-up with the ps3, and they want to release a game that performs equally on both systems.

ZayneH said:
Want me to make a chart visualizing Dani's explanation (that'll go unnoticed besides sai__kun) to explain it? :p

Oh, and I don't know what is worse: Pre-E3 ants in my pantsipation (wtf? stop trying to be funny, me), or During/Post-E3 meltdowns and trolls?

I'll take during/post E3, that way at least I know all the juicy 'megatons'. I'll deal with the trolls. :lol :lol

Kapura

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
I just hope sacrifices aren't made in their new game for the sake of the ps3.
PS3 is assuredly a more powerful system. The only things it lacks compared to the 360 is an extensive catalogue of good games and install base. Both of these problems are diminishing as time goes on, however.

EDIT: I see what your saying in the most recent post, but I honestly don't think that will be problematic.

Dirtbag

I think my much bigger fear is that they develop games with the console with largest install base in mind..... That would be the real disaster.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A little off topic but what the hell, does anyone here use/like Kontrol Freaks?

I ordered some because people were raving about them, but I'm not quite sold that they are actually "better."

Dirtbag said:
I think my much bigger fear is that they develop games with the console with largest install base in mind..... That would be the real disaster.
I really don't see them leading on anything other than the 360 this generation just due to the fact that the 360 is what they know. Maybe next generation they would consider leading with the PS3 but I still really doubt it. I am definitely hoping they would stick with 360 because Live is light years ahead of PSN.

feel

ZayneH said:

lol your silly

Dirtbag

Captain Blood said:
I really don't see them leading on anything other than the 360 this generation just due to the fact that the 360 is what they know. Maybe next generation they would consider leading with the PS3 but I still really doubt it. I am definitely hoping they would stick with 360 because Live is light years ahead of PSN.

I think you knew what I meant, but just to re-iterate, I'm talking about the wii consideration.
For me its a mix of live > PSN and the 360 controller > Ps3 controller.

Dirtbag said:
I think you knew what I meant, but just to re-iterate, I'm talking about the wii consideration.
For me its a mix of live > PSN and the 360 controller > Ps3 controller.

I didn't even remotely consider the Wii as a possibility to be honest. I don't know how I didn't pick up on that. :lol I would buy a bungie game on Wii, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

EazyB

Banned
Really don't understand why people were jumping down Thagomizer's throat about wanting a PC port. It's easily the platform with the greatest potential and it would in no way lead to any feature being gimped. It'd really put Bungie to the test, PC gamers have always said that Halo was only considered a good franchise because console shooters have always been a generation behind PC FPS games so it'd be awesome if they could actually deliver something that impressed them and found a player base there. It's Activision though, we'll see a DS port before we see them support the PC :lol

Kapura said:
PS3 is assuredly a more powerful system. The only things it lacks compared to the 360 is an extensive catalogue of good games and install base. Both of these problems are diminishing as time goes on, however.
From a raw system resource standpoint I don't think Bungie will have any problem getting their multiplatform engine to the point where it's actually the 360 holding them back. What concern me most is the differences in the online infrastructure. With each game they've built more and more layers in their B.net integration and a lot of it has relied on the ms.net stuff. Things like queuing downloads, uploading straight to a fileshare, etc. Maybe it's just how foreign the subject of online website stuff is to me but it makes it seems like getting it to work feature-to-feature across 2 different online infrastructures could be troublesome and they might have to conform to the lowest common denominator.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Alienshogun said:
A little off topic but what the hell, does anyone here use/like Kontrol Freaks?

I ordered some because people were raving about them, but I'm not quite sold that they are actually "better."
I have some. I'm fairly certain that I'm actually no better with them, it does feel weird without them though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Thagomizer said:
Yes, because that post implied that I play games for graphics, which is stupid.

There are GAFers that do. I'm not one of them obviously...640p lolz bungle, halo 3 iz jaggy lawl!!!

Kapura

Banned
EazyB said:
From a raw system resource standpoint I don't think Bungie will have any problem getting their multiplatform engine to the point where it's actually the 360 holding them back. What concern me most is the differences in the online infrastructure. With each game they've built more and more layers in their B.net integration and a lot of it has relied on the ms.net stuff. Things like queuing downloads, uploading straight to a fileshare, etc. Maybe it's just how foreign the subject of online website stuff is to me but it makes it seems like getting it to work feature-to-feature across 2 different online infrastructures could be troublesome and they might have to conform to the lowest common denominator.
Good points. However, I don't think that Bungie will make decisions that would reduce features for cross-console parity. I don't know what kind of infrastructure the PS3 has for the online support Bungie is known for, but I can't imagine Bungie skipping out on the extended experience for the Xbox if the PS3 can't support it 100%.

EazyB said:
Really don't understand why people were jumping down Thagomizer's throat about wanting a PC port. It's easily the platform with the greatest potential and it would in no way lead to any feature being gimped. It'd really put Bungie to the test, PC gamers have always said that Halo was only considered a good franchise because console shooters have always been a generation behind PC FPS games so it'd be awesome if they could actually deliver something that impressed them and found a player base there. It's Activision though, we'll see a DS port before we see them support the PC :lol

To Be Fair, I was a little too eager to hoist myself on the cross there.

EazyB

Banned
Dani said:
If you've ever looked into Microsoft's quality controls and how they've worked with Bungie with focus groups and play testers, it's simply amazing the amount of work and polish that goes into the development from both parties. Bungie's games have greatly benefited from Microsoft as a publisher. To give one example, after what happened with Halo 2, Bungie could have easily been pressurised into rushing Halo 3 to market to launch beside the 360.
MS was relatively good to Bungie but the news of signing with Activision for an exclusive 10 years can in no way be treated as good news. At the very best it could be not worth getting to concerned about. Of course we don't know what that kind of 10 year IP publishing contract entails exactly but even though Bungie most definitely had a kick-ass place to negotiate from, knowing Activision, they have one thing on their mind and that's making as much profit from the deal and as fast as possible.

They're easily the very worst publisher in terms of good will and there's no way Bungie choose them for any reason other than their extremely deep pockets. Still, they'll be expecting plenty of deliverable with every cent they sink into Bungie. The most ideal situation would've been for Bungie to go the route of Valve and really obtain their freedom. If things looked like hell during Halo 2's development they could just say fuck it and delay the game for a year. Release things with the least amount of pressure as possible and deliver the most bad-ass and polished experience while pushing out new content as they see fit (time and cost).

Overall, as much as I loathe Activision, Bungie's probably in a better spot now then they were stuck making Halo games for MS but I can't help but find reason to worry about the situation and wish it had played out differently.

In my idea world Activision would've burnt out every franchise they've been annually shitting out and be non-existent in 10 years but instead Bungie will still be stuck with them and giving them my monies.

Kapura said:
I don't know what kind of infrastructure the PS3 has for the online support...
Last I checked they didn't have any. Believe they're working on adding in voice chat though.

FrankT

Dirtbag said:

Not when it comes to multiplat. It's the far exception actually and we're 5 years in. I pretty much agree with the IGN article not too long ago you can count the very few exclusives on one hand on the other side that outshine the 360. Still there is only one that I've actually played that I could say that even then it doesn't outshine all areas.

Dirtbag

EazyB said:

He wasn't asking for a PC port, but a pc exclusive to see how far they could push the graphics.
I just don't consider Bungie a graphics first developer and don't really see the point on lead-sku pc development.

I also won't buy a gaming pc that pushes the graphical boundaries to run the top of the line stuff (along with the majority of gamers out there - see Crysis). So I don't really want to see Bungie go pc dev. IMO the best argument to make for a PC game is the user created content, and not the graphical upgrades. Besides we're probably about 2 years out from the next round of consoles anyway, which will look better then top tier pc games upon release anyway.

Kapura

Banned
Not just through steam exclusively. I don't particularly like having to open steam client to open another game. I prefer a single exe.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
user_nat said:
I have some. I'm fairly certain that I'm actually no better with them, it does feel weird without them though.

Thanks, yeah I can't really tell. I haven't gone back and tried normal again either.

Ssparks said:
Hey if anyone wants to do some ODST campaign co-op, I'm on now, send me a message. GT-laszio

Adding you to my friend list if you don't mind.

I need some GAFers from the US to play with. :D

Lazslo

Alienshogun said:
Adding you to my friend list if you don't mind.

I need some GAFers from the US to play with. :D
No problem man, I haven't been on lately but I really want to do a play through of ODST and Halo 3 with some Gafers before Reach ships so shoot me an invite anytime.

Also, I was messing around with some video editing software and made a video of some clips I rendered from the Beta. There's not much talent in the video but It was fun making it. Most of the clips are from Gaf Customs so you might see yourself getting donged on, cheers.

Kapura said:
Not just through steam exclusively. I don't particularly like having to open steam client to open another game. I prefer a single exe.
Honestly that comes across as tinfoil-hat esc.
Of all the problems that Steam has, having it be client-based is not one of them.

I havent been here for a while, just thought i'd say, I love the idea of the changes. Some things were far more then i expected but they almost all put a smile on my face. THe massive ammo boost to the Needler was one of my favorite changes.

X-Frame

I loved using the Needler in the Reach beta this time. It's so satisfying when you kill people with it and watch pink spikes shred them to pieces. Mmmmm ..

Top Bottom