• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

Dirtbag

Wiggum2007 said:
But there's at least 5 maps from the Forge World palette at launch. Yeah they'll have the same aesthetics but they'll play as differently from each other as any other maps.

AND THEY'LL BE IN MATCHMAKING FROM DAY 1.

That's the thing that seems to be missing here. They won't need to be custom games, they will supported right out the gates. That's the highest map count on release yet.

ManCannon said:
Oops that's right I forgot, we're showing two different campaign sections.

We're doing campaign demos behind closed doors of one of the missions from the recent preview visit, "Tip of the Spear", and then once a day I'll be doing a short demo on stage in the booth of the opening cinematic and first mission of the game. (the caveat for the booth demo is that due to hardcore ratings boards in Germany, the demo can't contain ANY shooting :lol ) It was amusing hearing the German version of Noble Team today.
wtfoeeg.gif

Wiggum2007

Dirtbag said:
AND THEY'LL BE IN MATCHMAKING FROM DAY 1.

That's the thing that seems to be missing here. They won't need to be custom games, they will supported right out the gates. That's the highest map count on release yet.

Exactly! High Five!!

1fz413.jpg

Arnie

Shake Appeal said:
I am presuming Luke's favourite map is either Boardwalk or Countdown. Truth is, urk was very quick to pipe up when we jumped the gun on the number of Firefight maps, but no one from Bungie has said a word in response to all the 'only 8 maps + Forge World' posts.
I agree. I can't wait for this map reveal though, if Luke says it's the best map in the game then it is surely going to be a 4v4 Slayer oriented map, and considering the stable already contains Ivory Tower, that praise comes with lots of hope.
Wiggum2007 said:
But there's at least 5 maps from the Forge World palette at launch. Yeah they'll have the same aesthetics but they'll play as differently from each other as any other maps.
I know and I've responded to this before, I imagine a lot of people will get burnt out with the repeated aesthetic. It won't take away from how the map plays but it will make it feel like you are repeatedly playing the same map over and over. Especially considering each map will contain the same Forge World picture in MM. I just think the new car smell will be gone with all the Forge World variants much faster than the other maps because of the frequency in which you play in them.

I'm not trying to complain, I'll play Reach more than any other game this year and potentially next (I'm still playing Halo 3 daily now, 3 years from launch). But I just hoped there would be slightly more maps at launch, however considering Luke's comments the quantity may not matter. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if there's a map on par with The Pit in Reach then it doesn't matter how many maps they include.

Cynar

Major Williams said:
This might be super LTTP, but I can't seem to remember:

Is there drop in/out of Firefight, campaign, and/or MM matches?

probably just for customs and no for campaign like halo 3, I have no idea and I'm just assuming so a better answer would be great

Kibbles

ManCannon said:
Oops that's right I forgot, we're showing two different campaign sections.

We're doing campaign demos behind closed doors of one of the missions from the recent preview visit, "Tip of the Spear", and then once a day I'll be doing a short demo on stage in the booth of the opening cinematic and first mission of the game. (the caveat for the booth demo is that due to hardcore ratings boards in Germany, the demo can't contain ANY shooting :lol ) It was amusing hearing the German version of Noble Team today.
Ann so we might see the booth demo then at least?

No shooting? :lol That should be interesting.

EazyB said:
Yeah, that's the argument I made when Urk mentioned that there were more FF maps on the way. I still hold onto the slight possibility that they're so proud of how many maps they've fit into the game that they're just keeping silent to blow us away at a later date.
Me too, and I hope they're able to hold off as long as possible on the reveal. There's plenty of things to keep the hype level at maximum, everything else will just be an unexpected surprise.

edit: nice pic, but too many ARs in the second one. :D

Hypertrooper said:
Sorry bro. These pics are the pics from the Microsoft event today. Not from the public area.

Ha, I knew it! :lol

Well, let's hope there will be something playable.

That's virtually the only reason I go up there :lol

I've been reading through the whole and, as others have stated, I'm surprised at the amount of FireFight backlash. I loved FireFight in ODST and I almost shat myself when FireFight 2.0 was announced with matchmaking.

In regards to the MP map count, you can guarantee the MS, Bungie & 343i will have several DLC packs planned to support Reach. Plus there's ForgeWorld. No need to worry, my fellow Halo-GAFers.

Quick question that's unrelated to today's news, wasn't it announced that Noble 6 can be customized as a female Spartan? My wife is dying for confirmation of this. And if it's true, can the female Noble 6 model be used in MP & Firefight?

Reluctant-Hero said:
Quick question that's unrelated to today's news, wasn't it announced that Noble 6 can be customized as a female Spartan? My wife is dying for confirmation of this. And if it's true, can the female Noble 6 model be used in MP & Firefight?
Yes on all counts, your wife can be a female Noble 6 and her Spartan will carry throughout Campaign, FF & MP.

Zeouterlimits said:
FF is playable for the public yes, Brian said so himself. Considering it was at SDCC and will be at PAX it'd be crazy otherwise.

Thank you. Now let's hope the german nation holiday won't prevent me from staying glued to the demo :lol

feel

I was waiting to be disappointed by her eventual appearance in a game, but I think they nailed it, she looks just as she should look imo.

RCXVN.jpg

1hZYb.jpg

Grey-haired and wrinkled, yet still good looking.

I was gonna mention that ManCannon saying "some remaining competitive MP maps" seemed like more than 2, but then I realized he's probably including unrevealed Forge World maps.

Wiggum2007

Zeouterlimits said:
Yes on all counts, your wife can be a female Noble 6 and her Spartan will carry throughout Campaign, FF & MP.

I wish we could get a glimpse of the male/female VA for Noble 6 sometime before launch.

Zeouterlimits said:
Sweet, she'll be stoked. But that makes me wonder if playing as a female Spartan may be more advantageous in MP.

Kat obviously has a smaller frame than the rest of Noble Team. So any other female Spartan should have a smaller frame and therefore will be a smaller target to hit.

But then again we already know that Elites are larger than Spartans and are a much bigger physical target.

Striker

Reluctant-Hero said:
Sweet, she'll be stoked. But that makes me wonder if playing as a female Spartan may be more advantageous in MP.

Kat obviously has a smaller frame than the rest of Noble Team. So any other female Spartan should have a smaller frame and therefore will be a smaller target to hit.

But then again we already know that Elites are larger than Spartans and are a much bigger physical target.
The hit-boxes have been said not to be altered.

EazyB

Banned
Reluctant-Hero said:

The real question is if the user can be a female elite.

17zj1e.jpg

EazyB said:
The real question is if the user can be a female elite.

http://i35.tinypic.com/17zj1[/QUOTE]
:lol

eyeroll.gif

Seriously if that giggly little school girl makes it in, I'll be disappoint. As I came to understand it from the Halo Legends thread, Frankie said the females took a more traditional domestic role.

Hypertrooper said:
My brother's iPhone 4 is ready to shoot some gameplay videos! Lets hope I'm allowed to play Reach.

Rock on! Hopefully you guys can get some decent footage. I'll put it in the OP if you upload it. :)

I'm also really hoping Gamersyde records some stuff. They always have brilliant quality...

DancingJesus said:
Rock on! Hopefully you guys can get some decent footage. I'll put it in the OP if you upload it. :)

I'm also really hoping Gamersyde records some stuff. They always have brilliant quality...
We will see, i need to sneak into the Reach area of the Microsoft booth. But you can expect, that you'll see the public campaign presentation.

DrBo42

I love the truth and reconciliation (Into the belly of the beast) vibe I get from the new firefight map. It's going to be awesome.

Oozer3993

2iqnvih.jpg

I haven't seen this mentioned, and this may have been in previous campaign footage and I just missed it, but there are 5 plus signs next to the radar in this shot. Maybe the health indicators for the rest of Noble Team that T0m M0rello mentioned what now seems like years ago?

Lakitu

st5fu
A theory on the new firefight map (Corvette) and multiplayer map (Zealot) on how it fits into the campaign. I reckon
they're both based on The Long Night of Solace. Reasons are, The Long Night of Solace sounds like a Covenant ship in the same way The Truth and Reconciliation did and the second is it would seem logical after the space combat segment to board the corvette.
I wonder how far off I am.

Oozer3993 said:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2iqnvih.j

I haven't seen this mentioned, and this may have been in previous campaign footage and I just missed it, but there are 5 plus signs next to the radar in this shot. Maybe the health indicators for the rest of Noble Team that T0m M0rello mentioned what now seems like years ago?[/QUOTE]
Yup. Saw that and immediately thought of the same thing. Good catch!

duk

Banned
omggggggggggggggggggggg the vidoc is soooooooooo sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

i want the legendary edition nowww

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Major Williams said:
:lol

eyeroll.gif

Seriously if that giggly little school girl makes it in, I'll be disappoint. As I came to understand it from the Halo Legends thread, Frankie said the females took a more traditional domestic role.

To fit all that extra giggling audio in it would need Blu Ray.

Wiggum2007

szaromir said:
I am going to soooo hate this sequence, I hated them in GRAW and I don't think they fit Halo either.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could choose to pilot the Falcon in those sections.

Wiggum2007 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if you could choose to pilot the Falcon in those sections.
I hope so. What makes on-rails shooter segments suck even worse is playing them on ultra hard difficulties. It can turn the game into repetitious trial and error that you long to just get past and never play again.

Gears of War 2 Derrick sections say hello.

Top Bottom