• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
I hope so. What makes on-rails shooter segments suck even worse is playing them on ultra hard difficulties. It can turn the game into repetitious trial and error that you long to just get past and never play again.

Gears of War 2 Derrick sections say hello.
I'd wager it's similar to the Hornet section from Halo 3 or the big Banshee sections of the previous games. Looks like he's just gunning instead of flying. I really don't see an on-rails shooting sequence in Halo, it runs counter to the entire combat design philosophy.

(The Gears 2 Derrick sections made me return the game after two days.)

Prediction: the unrevealed Firefight maps are Forerunner themed.
Self Induced said:
needs moar bewbs
If only she were designed by Capcom, that winter coat would be low cut and Halsey would be wearing a push-up bra.

Letters said:
I don't mind a bit of on rail gunner sequences, I just hope they don't become extremely annoying on Legendary and Mythic.

I don't think the AI will drive us along, although all the talk about the improvements they made to it could lead us in believing it.

Take Halo 3's The Covenant. When you fly the Hornet, it's as if the game was on-rail, but you're able to freely roam the given playground.

The same is said to be happening in the space-combat mission in Reach, though the scale of the environment is much bigger.

So, I hope and think those Falcon segments will play in the same fashion.

EDIT: beaten by Ghaleon.

well, yeah, great minds do think alike

.la1n

Reluctant-Hero said:
Sweet, she'll be stoked. But that makes me wonder if playing as a female Spartan may be more advantageous in MP.

Kat obviously has a smaller frame than the rest of Noble Team. So any other female Spartan should have a smaller frame and therefore will be a smaller target to hit.

But then again we already know that Elites are larger than Spartans and are a much bigger physical target.

Bungie already stated that regardless of gender all models retain the same hitbox.

Hypertrooper said:
We will see, i need to sneak into the Reach area of the Microsoft booth.
Because you're too young?
If so, I doubt you'll be able to get in.
They're SUPER strict and careful about things like this, I found that out myself last year.

Only way you could get in is with forged ID. :p

Sibylus

Banned
If it's anything like The Covenant's Hornet run, it'll be a blast indeed. I'm guessing you can choose to drive if you absolutely don't want to man the turret.

Lakitu said:
A theory on the new firefight map (Corvette) and multiplayer map (Zealot) on how it fits into the campaign. I reckon
they're both based on The Long Night of Solace. Reasons are, The Long Night of Solace sounds like a Covenant ship in the same way The Truth and Reconciliation did and the second is it would seem logical after the space combat segment to board the corvette.
I wonder how far off I am.
I'd say
you're pretty much on the money, even if this Covenant boarding section doesn't take place right after space combat (though I'm inclined to believe it will). A FF map and a multi map both using extensive Covenant assets is a pretty big hint imo that Bungie generated a boatload of art assets. It would make sense to see an entire chapter in campaign using the same assets to flesh out a large interior portion of a Covenant vessel.

Did we get any idea as to the length of the SP Campaign yet?

I believe Halo 3 clocked in on average right around 8 hours. And it still felt a bit short (by an hour or so)

Major Williams said:

I believe Halo 3 clocked in on average right around 8 hours. And it still felt a bit short (by an hour or so)
One quote says it'll be the same as Halo 3, one says it will be a bit longer.

Gui_PT

Major Williams said:

They always dodge that question by saying it depends on the difficulty.

I think I did hear 9 hours or so in an interview.

Hope it's longer than Halo 3's campaign though. It did feel rather short.

I wouldn't mind a shorter campaign if it was built for replayability. Especially considering how many times I'd like to go through it, and the various challenges.

And yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if Reach had true on-rails segments. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing Bungie would do unless they felt they really nailed it.

Gui_PT said:
They always dodge that question by saying it depends on the difficulty.

I think I did hear 9 hours or so in an interview.

Hope it's longer than Halo 3's campaign though. It did feel rather short.
Which really is largely true - An easy run for HaloGAF would take significantly shorter than a Legendary run no doubt. But there is still an average time for an average player on Heroic difficulty.

Is there anything anyone wants to know about the new Reach stuff since I'm going to fiddle with some of it tomorrow?

(Bungie people: Will you be on the floor during the press day, or on the public day?)

EazyB

Banned
NullPointer said:
I wouldn't mind a shorter campaign if it was built for replayability. Especially considering how many times I'd like to go through it, and the various challenges.

And yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if Reach had true on-rails segments. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing Bungie would do unless they felt they really nailed it.
Yeah, the time it takes to go through a campaign is really not a concern that crosses my mind. What adds value is how differently each play-through of a level is. They've stated that they're pushing really open levels and a lot of that can be seen in some of the footage. But then you have things like the space-combat level and maybe even some turret sequences that will play out the same way time in time again. I really hope they limit this sort of stuff because while it may be spectacular and fresh the first time through, it'll only make the campaign less compelling as time goes on.

Gui_PT

Major Williams said:
Which really is largely true - An easy run for HaloGAF would take significantly shorter than a Legendary run no doubt. But there is still an average time for an average player on Heroic difficulty.

That's right. That's why I said they avoid the question. Even though it depends on the difficulty, there's still an average time.

At least in all of the interviews I've seen, "It depends on the difficulty" is the answer they gave.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I've been very reluctant to get excited by Firefight 2.0 or any of the Firefight related maps. The netcode in ODST pretty much limited by selection of fellow players to game with online. I know that from the Beta that the netcode has been improved for Firefight, and that was a stress test using six players rather than the traditional four as found in ODST and Reach's final build, but to be honest, I'm keeping my expectations in check until I get the game in hand and can test it out in the wild myself.

Corvette looks great and the smaller environment dynamic makes it stand out as something interesting and refreshing. I really do want to see how it plays out.

If the netcode really does hold up with the final product, in the wild, across the average distances between myself and the folks on my Friend's List, I will be very happy. It will be like receiving an additional bundle of enjoyment in the overall Reach package. Until then, I'm limiting my hype and my anticipation to the Campaign, Forge and traditional multiplayer.

I really hope going in with low expectations pays off.

Vinterbird said:
Is there anything anyone wants to know about the new Reach stuff since I'm going to fiddle with some of it tomorrow?

(Bungie people: Will you be on the floor during the press day, or on the public day?)
- Is there an average length of campaign for an average player on heroic difficulty?

- Is Lucille Bluth the voice of Auntie Dot?

Hey guys I need some help..
So I just pre-ordered Halo Reach limited edition at Gamestop. And they are supposed to have a armor code on the receipt correct? Well it's not there..and I payed in full for $84.79. Will it come via email or will they give me a new receipt when I pick it up?

Thank you very much.

Lazslo said:
All this campaign talk got to me; would anyone like to join KyleJ, Cuban and me in Co Op H3?
If your looking for someone you know then thats cool, but I would love to. Legendary run through?
GT: Game2Death

Deadly

Lazslo said:
All this campaign talk got to me; would anyone like to join KyleJ, Cuban and me in Co Op H3?
Holy crap I'm down! GT is lalabou. I might suck if we're playing legendary though :lol

Doodis

Game2Death said:
So I just pre-ordered Halo Reach limited edition at Gamestop. And they are supposed to have a armor code on the receipt correct? Well it's not there..and I payed in full for $84.79. Will it come via email or will they give me a new receipt when I pick it up?

Thank you very much.
They'll have a card when you pick the game up. They don't put those codes on the receipt. They receive a bundle to give along with the actual game.

cazosozey

Game2Death said:

Thank you very much.

They will most likely be in the game case, least that's how it was for ME2; gamestop preorder bonus.

Wizman23

Banned
Major Williams said:

8 hours is fine as long as the missions are outstanding. Bungie said they started with 150 mission ideas and dwindled that number down to 10 missions. That tells me each mission should be epic with no throw away missions like Floodgate and Cortona. Also in one of the weekly updates the lead campaign designer said the missions in Reach were longer than those in Halo 3

zumphry

Banned
riceandbeans said:
That's Dr. Halsey, the person who Cortana is based on right?

Yep. I can see the similarities between the two.

Blueblur1 said:

Hopefully Bungie saves something like that for Kat or female Noble Six.
emot-pervert.gif

jk?

Dani said:
I've been very reluctant to get excited by Firefight 2.0 or any of the Firefight related maps. The netcode in ODST pretty much limited by selection of fellow players to game with online. I know that from the Beta that the netcode has been improved for Firefight, and that was a stress test using six players rather than the traditional four as found in ODST and Reach's final build, but to be honest, I'm keeping my expectations in check until I get the game in hand and can test it out in the wild myself.
Agree. Every single one of my matchmade Firefight games in the beta had like a second of latency on every action. That's a massive improvement over some games I played with Americans in ODST (that simply froze ten seconds in), but it's still not pleasant to play.

May need to go further and form IrishHaloGAF. There are four or five of us now, I think.

Doodis said:
They'll have a card when you pick the game up. They don't put those codes on the receipt. They receive a bundle to give along with the actual game.

cazosozey said:
They will most likely be in the game case, least that's how it was for ME2; gamestop preorder bonus.

Oh. Ok. :D
Thanks guys. I was just kind of bummed it wasn't there is all. First time I've ever pre-ordered a game.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Shake Appeal said:
May need to go further and form IrishHaloGAF. There are four or five of us now, I think.

Yep and more seem to pop up every now and then. We'll outnumber the Americans soon enough. :lol

Wizman23 said:
8 hours is fine as long as the missions are outstanding. Bungie said they started with 150 mission ideas and dwindled that number down to 10 missions. That tells me each mission should be epic with no throw away missions like Floodgate and Cortona. Also in one of the weekly updates the lead campaign designer said the missions in Reach were longer than those in Halo 3

And the lead campaign designer is the one responsible for Tsawo's Highway.

So, the campaign has to be the best in the series, given they don't have canon intricacies to solve/think about; they basically had the possibility to do whatever they liked with this campaign.

Hype beyond belief.

Lakitu

st5fu
Botolf said:
If it's anything like The Covenant's Hornet run, it'll be a blast indeed. I'm guessing you can choose to drive if you absolutely don't want to man the turret.

I'd say
you're pretty much on the money, even if this Covenant boarding section doesn't take place right after space combat (though I'm inclined to believe it will). A FF map and a multi map both using extensive Covenant assets is a pretty big hint imo that Bungie generated a boatload of art assets. It would make sense to see an entire chapter in campaign using the same assets to flesh out a large interior portion of a Covenant vessel.

Yeah that's what I think as well. It's great to see a location like that in a Halo game again.

As for the campaign length, I'm really hoping for Halo: CE length but I'll only be let down. It'll be more like Halo 3's. I can't remember first time through but I done it in 4:30 in my recent playthrough and I hadn't played it in a year.

Merguson

Banned
Who wants to create a mute co-op group.. we execute strategies by observing the environment and our teammates actions! More hardcore stuff MLG-like stuff dudes.

(or just fling yourself against the enemy until you progress!)

Dani said:
Yep and more seem to pop up every now and then. We'll outnumber the Americans soon enough. :lol
Customs lately have had a sizeable Irish contingent :p Cáca milis ar an mbord!!! :lol
You should all be so offended right now :p

~Kinggi~

Banned
That vidoc didnt really do much for me. Nice to see the characters but looked a little 'meh' as far as the hype is concerned.

Merguson said:
Who wants to create a mute co-op group.. we execute strategies by observing the environment and our teammates actions! More hardcore stuff MLG-like stuff dudes.

(or just fling yourself against the enemy until you progress!)
I'm up for any Halo 3 campaign Legendary run through.

as above GT: Game2Death

PusherT

I know this thread is about halo reach. But is there anyone else out there that needs to do the Halo 3 ODST vidmaster Deja VU achievement? If so I'm going to try it now just hit me up.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
ManCannon's post about the open invitation for GAFfers to pass by the Bungie booth hit me again, especially since I missed Frankie coming to Amsterdam by a day for the Halo 3 pre-release days, and now I miss another opportunity to meet more Bungie dudes at Gamescon...

Crap.

MrBig

Game2Death said:
Oh. Ok. :D
Thanks guys. I was just kind of bummed it wasn't there is all. First time I've ever pre-ordered a game.
Make sure you ask them about it, if its not in the case they might not give it to you unless you ask. It's happened to me before.

Hydranockz said:
Customs lately have had a sizeable Irish contingent :p Cáca milis ar an mbord!!! :lol
You should all be so offended right now :p

If you're going to insult people, do it right ;)

An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithreas

DancingJesus said:
It's amazing how bad the press is at their job.

Their job isn't being headshot masters....

snoopeasystreet said:
If you're going to insult people, do it right ;)

An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithris

Their job isn't being headshot masters....

I'm not asking for much, just steady aim and not looking at the ground for over 10 seconds. Playing video games is a necessary requirement to accurately report on them.

Top Bottom