• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

equil

4SK fixes the grenade problem because there are no grenades.
Theres also no power weapons or weapon pickups, just straight up DMR and pistol with infinite ammo. It seriously needs a higher weighting in the classic playlist.

alerus

Neo Member
MrBig said:
Black screen would break it like it breaks everything else. I t wouldn't be hard if there was a pointer to weapon values in the gametype settings. I don't know if there is.

What black screen? And I guess the point I was making, is when you're designing the game, why would it be difficult to design it such that the values are modifiable in the configurations?

Ramirez

I feel like an old man telling kids to get off my lawn, but it's seriously depressing when aside from Team Slayer, the most popular playlists are stuff like Swat, Snipers, Living Dead, and Grifball. None of that stuff is Halo to me, I guess I blame it on people wanting instant satisfaction and easy kills compared to actually using team work in something like Objective. I know there are some awful gametypes in TO, but even if you removed them I don't think the population would go up, people just want mindless instant satisfaction these days, definitely the reason why CoD is the monster that it is, even though games like Bad Company 2 offer such a better experience, meh.

I would like to see Team Slayer adjusted to 5v5 instead of a new playlist, Social Slayer in Halo 3 was definitely the best playlist out of the stuff Bungie put out, should work on most of the maps, aside from maybe Sword Base or something.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
alerus said:
What black screen? And I guess the point I was making, is when you're designing the game, why would it be difficult to design it such that the values are modifiable in the configurations?

Reach often locks you in a black screen. When that happens everything repops regardless of what has already been picked up.

Ramirez said:
I feel like an old man telling kids to get off my lawn, but it's seriously depressing when aside from Team Slayer, the most popular playlists are stuff like Swat, Snipers, Living Dead, and Grifball. None of that stuff is Halo to me, I guess I blame it on people wanting instant satisfaction and easy kills compared to actually using team work in something like Objective. I know there are some awful gametypes in TO, but even if you removed them I don't think the population would go up, people just want mindless instant satisfaction these days, definitely the reason why CoD is the monster that it is, even though games like Bad Company 2 offer such a better experience, meh.

I would like to see Team Slayer adjusted to 5v5 instead of a new playlist, Social Slayer in Halo 3 was definitely the best playlist out of the stuff Bungie put out, should work on most of the maps, aside from maybe Sword Base or something.

I prefer OBJ gametypes, but the low populations ALWAYS result in shitty games and matchmaking. Same with MLG and anything else with 2k or less in the playlist.

MrBig

equil said:
4SK fixes the grenade problem because there are no grenades.
Theres also no power weapons or weapon pickups, just straight up DMR and pistol with infinite ammo. It seriously needs a higher weighting in the classic playlist.
That's in classic? I've never seen it

Lingitiz

Ramirez said:

While social slayer was a pretty good playlist some of the maps were way to small for 5v5. I specifically remember guardian being impossible to play with 5v5. That's not to say it couldn't work in Reach though.

see5harp

zlatko said:
They completely could. How many players are on in the busiest day of the week for Reach?

Msoft is stinky rich, and I think people have this big misconception that dedicated servers are expensive when it's completely not true in the slightest.

I'm not an internet wizard, but from what I gather the game could do exactly what it does now to match you up and find opponents, then once the 8 people are there in the lobby it sets them up on the dedi server instead of picking a host like it does now, then they go into the game for a lag free experience. :) (Unless of course your own internet is dial up in which case dedicated servers will have no barring on your awful internet. lol)

They could obviously do it. It's completely doable...but is it necessary? Not in the slightest. You are going to pretend that Reach's netcode is inferior to a whole bunch of garbage online games because of one shitty Griffball game? At that one moment any number of things could have happened with the connection. Complain about armor lock...I'm with you there.

EDIT for hilarious quote: " I don't think Uncharted 2 had them though, but it was easily the smoothest hosting experience I had in any console game this generation"

Lingitiz

zlatko said:
They completely could. How many players are on in the busiest day of the week for Reach?

Msoft is stinky rich, and I think people have this big misconception that dedicated servers are expensive when it's completely not true in the slightest.

I'm not an internet wizard, but from what I gather the game could do exactly what it does now to match you up and find opponents, then once the 8 people are there in the lobby it sets them up on the dedi server instead of picking a host like it does now, then they go into the game for a lag free experience. :) (Unless of course your own internet is dial up in which case dedicated servers will have no barring on your awful internet. lol)
I'm really hoping Gears 3's MP side takes off. Hopefully it will make MS realize that dedicated servers are really important, especially if you want to make a statement with your internally published games.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lingitiz said:
I'm really hoping Gears 3's MP side takes off. Hopefully it will make MS realize that dedicated servers are really important, especially if you want to make a statement with your internally published games.

While I think Dedicated servers are always a good thing. Reach netcode is awesome for everything but firefight.

Havok

Ramirez said:
I agree with this. I couldn't name a better experience than a great CTF game with a 4 man team all communicating and working together (except maybe an 8v8 in the same situation, but that's incredibly hard to set up). And it's pretty trivial to vote away the bad gametypes in Objective now, as long as the party can agree what to go with. I do think that a lot of the people that would be playing objective moved on to the MLG playlist, though.

It's a sign of the times. People don't like to be frustrated and they don't like to work together anymore because they've been spoonfed +100s for every step they take in the last few years. It's unfortunate.

Dedis would be a huge move on whoever does the next Halo's part. It would definitely bring a whole new pool of players back to Halo and give it some real teeth in competing with all the other games. Something Halo seriously needs after ODST and Reach kinda trashed Halo's name (not to us here at HaloGAF, but to other peoples)

It would be a blunt way of saying "We have faith in this game and you all should too"

It shouldn't be out of the question and should definitely be considered for some time.

alerus

Neo Member
Alienshogun said:
Reach often locks you in a black screen. When that happens everything repops regardless of what has already been picked up.

I realize you didn't make the original statement, but how then would that break per weapon damage values? Keeping track of what's been taken off the map through a game has nothing to do with the configuration of the game.

Thermite

Ramirez said:

Amen.

Havok

alerus said:
I realize you didn't make the original statement, but how then would that break per weapon damage values? Keeping track on what's been taken off the map through a game has nothing to do with the configuration for the game.
Tell that to Classic Slayer. Set to spawn without armor abilities, it goes into black screen, and now one person on the map has sprint and totally destroys everyone else, until they randomly spawn with sprint too.

see5harp

For firefight and campaign sure, there is a lot of work that needs to be done with netcode. If they could get firefight working like competitive by simply switching to dedicated servers then I'm on board.

alerus

Neo Member
Havok said:
Tell that to Classic Slayer. Set to spawn without armor abilities, it goes into black screen, and now one person on the map has sprint and totally destroys everyone else, until they randomly spawn with sprint too.

Sounds like an odd bug more than a design challenge in providing per weapon damage values. Perahps you can elaborate (I haven't played Reach a while), but if it randomly spawns on people then it's not some consistent reset of the configuration. Further, if other configuration properties retain just fine, it does indeed sound like a bug specific to AA, rather than a design issue.

Havok

alerus said:
Sounds like an odd bug more than a design challenge in providing per weapon damage values. Perahps you can elaborate (I haven't played Reach a while), but if it randomly spawns on people then it's not some consistent reset of the configuration. Further, if other configuration properties retain just fine, it does indeed sound like a bug specific to AA, rather than a design issue.
I honestly don't know what the problem actually is. It appears to be random, but it presents the possibility that any setting within the gametype might experience the issue (but isn't really testable in that gametype because everything else is default settings). It's really bizarre. I'm not saying they shouldn't try, because it would probably help fix a lot of problems.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
zlatko said:
The hammer doesn't work out that well online, it doesn't help that the bulk of the damage comes from the shockwave it sends out instead of the actual beatdown. I mean it's fine if there is only one hammer, but if you're playing a game of hammers then it's going to suck.

MrBig

alerus said:
Black screen fucks shit up. There's not much more to it. It's the worst it's been in any of the games, and it happens at least once every game. It resets everything on the map and can occasionally screw up the gametype.

alerus

Neo Member
Havok said:
I honestly don't know what the problem actually is. It appears to be random, but it presents the possibility that any setting within the gametype might experience the issue (but isn't really testable in that gametype because everything else is default settings). It's really bizarre. I'm not saying they shouldn't try, because it would probably help fix a lot of problems.

It might not be random (i.e., there might be some conditions in the game that cause you to spawn with it), but if it doesn't happen from there on out for the rest of the game, it definitely seems like an AA specific bug (similar to how in the beta you might spawn as an elite with a spartan AA) rather than a challenge with using configuration files and the host dropping out.

Tunavi

Banned
MrBig said:
so yeah, the posts that Mr Lake was making in HaloGAF were just jokes :lol
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26866312&postcount=8565
trolled-hard.jpg

alerus

Neo Member
MrBig said:
Black screen fucks shit up. There's not much more to it. It's the worst it's been in any of the games, and it happens at least once every game. It resets everything on the map and can occasionally screw up the gametype.

If Bungie has problems to the point that it screws up the game type (I can't recall ever actually having that, only map resets, though I accept that it might happen from time to time) then this is just a general challenge with host dropping. Therefore, including more configuration options isn't going to be more broken/harder to implement than things are already. The problem to overcome would be universal and already exist.

Ramirez said:

Agreed, the majority of shooter fans now has that COD conditioning. They don't want something complex to do, they don't want to have to communicate/work with teammates, they just want to shoot shit.

Doesn't matter how great Jeremiah could make Team Objective, the population would still probably be extremely low.

Willeth

You've all played Halo chess, right? How about Space Chess?

Fyrewulff @ HBO said:
Alright, I may have accidentally misinformed people with my previous post on how Chess is only playable on Forge World. It is not.
I was like "wait, Tempest has the FW pieces. It should be able to do chess."

It can!

HSoRol.jpg

Well, that's not really that earth shattering, is it?

But I was curious. For a laugh, I decided to try and forge Chess onto another map. Anchor 9 was the first one I tried, being at the top of the map list of course.

You should have seen my face when it didn't tell me "This variant is incompatible with this map".

So I loaded it up, spent about 20 minutes finding the most usable spot (doing this made me realize how freaking small Anchor 9 actually is).

Tada:

V5aZUl.jpg

Yup. Hidden in Anchor 9's .map is the Forge World 1x1 Flat piece! Meaning that you can play chess in FREAKING SPACE.

Download the map variant right now to your Xbox

Now, there might be a couple of other spots you can fit the board in, but I wanted to have it entirely in space.

This is the only other map besides Tempest and Forge World that Chess works with. It's not compatible with any other disc map or DLC map.

Also something interesting:

A sweet spot for spawning the board so it's entirely in space but also not inside a hard baked soft kill?

Y: 7.0
X: 9.2
Z: 6.1 (although my variant puts it lower due to personal preference)

In other words, you can get 777 out of the board's optimal placement. Probably just a happy alignment of the stars there, but I wouldn't put it past Bungie to have planned.

I wonder if we'll see a later DLC map that has a chess board hidden off to the side somewhere? :)
Reposted by request for Fyre because his GAF registration has been pending for about five years.

Kibbles

omg I love Classic Slayer on Team Classic. The pistol is exactly how it should be. I love it. 12 kills with it out of 17, +12 last 2 games. 8) Feels good man.

[edit] +12 again, getting Killing Frenzys a lot, pretty consistent :p Lovin Classic Slayer. Classic Rifles sucks though, although the game I had with it on midship was pretty good. I wish they would just name the maps what they are, because nobody knows what they are half the time.

Louis Wu

Ramirez said:
I'm finding that more than half my games in the Defiant list are CTF games - and they're great even when we lose. (Sure, there are annoyances... but for the most part, I'm having a blast. :) )

xxjuicesxx said:
Dedis would be a huge move on whoever does the next Halo's part. It would definitely bring a whole new pool of players back to Halo and give it some real teeth in competing with all the other games. Something Halo seriously needs after ODST and Reach kinda trashed Halo's name (not to us here at HaloGAF, but to other peoples)

It would be a blunt way of saying "We have faith in this game and you all should too"

It shouldn't be out of the question and should definitely be considered for some time.

What I think should help to get more people to buy a new Halo game is a demo. Maybe just half a campaign mission but enough to give people an impression of what's new in the game.
Or you could do it as Dead Rising 2, making small campain missions, which you pay a small amount of Microsoft points for, and explaining a little bit of backstory about the campaign in the full game.

I think a beta is great for testing new stuff but only a limited portion of potentional buyers will be able to play this and things are still subject to change.

I've always wondered why Bungie never released a demo for Halo 3/Reach, anyone knows why?

blamite

equil said:
Yea, Ive only seen it come up like twice out of around 20 games.
I've played about 50 games of Classic, and I've never even seen it in the lobby. It's also not listed on the Active Playlists page. I've never even heard it mentioned until today. Bizarre.

I'm in love with Team Classic. Things I'd change would be to have the Nerfle as a pick up rather than starting the game with it, spawning with just one grenade and of course tweaking the respawns. I too would be very upset if it didn't remain as a permanent playlist.

Remakes of maps I would like to see added:

Prisoner
Chill out
Boarding Action
The Pit
Guardian
Citadel

Played a game on Highlands earlier today. Definitely like it more now, though I wish the sniper would still be removed.

Had a pretty spectacular game of Neutral Bomb on Condemned right after. Tons of fun. Very close and got a pretty high K/D spread.

Tawpgun

My proposed fixes to Classic

General: 1 nade starts. MAYBE no nades on map. Or just make one spawn on the map in their spots. Instead of 2.

OS needs 2 layers. You know. Like the CLASSIC OS? I always thought the Also, anyway to make camo consistent despite speed?

More maps. Tempest ones welcomed.

Specific: Fix Elbow to S2 Jump. Make it more fluid. It's clunky as hell and you always fall off.

Ramirez

Man the Falcon is an awesome vehicle, I did absolutely terrible in that Breakpoint game, but I was racking up the Falcon assists! :p

GhaleonEB

So who's gotten the weekly Challenge already? I'll probably get all but the 15 games in, leaving me one to knock off tomorrow (and only due to lack of time - lots I want to do tonight, including customs).

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ramirez said:
Man the Falcon is an awesome vehicle, I did absolutely terrible in that Breakpoint game, but I was racking up the Falcon assists! :p

I take it Breakpoint is better of with the Banshee replacements?

GhaleonEB said:
So who's gotten the weekly Challenge already? I'll probably get all but the 15 games in, leaving me one to knock off tomorrow (and only due to lack of time - lots I want to do tonight, including customs).

I might get it later. Just need five games, one FF and a backstab. Simples.

Can that falcon blow up rockets coming at it? I swear I nailed the rocket with turret fire 2 out of the 3 times I saw rockets flying at me but it did nothing...

and just got the weekly!

Dax01 said:
Played a game on Highlands earlier today. Definitely like it more now, though I wish the sniper would still be removed.

Had a pretty spectacular game of Neutral Bomb on Condemned right after. Tons of fun. Very close and got a pretty high K/D spread.

Condemned really shines for Neutral Bomb. The set ups to plant because of the room layouts on that map are very cool.

Zee-V70 said:
If we ever end up getting an all covvies/Elite Slayer playlist, it needs to be called Team Plasma.

Haha, I support that name.

Willeth

GhaleonEB said:
I'm three dailies away. Looking forward to putting it to bed.

MrBig said:
Posting this here since subs are down and most people won't check it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26868584#post26868584

Nokyard is going to be submitting some Forgegaf maps to cartographers and we need some good players to be in the testing for them
Need 10 players.
...and yet I was invited anyway. :)

GG guys. Really enjoyed Reactor and Truss. One Bomb on Crossroads was a blast, if you'll excuse the appropriate pun.

Prophet needs to have team sides, they shouldn't spawn underneath you if you are on your base level 2. Thats not how Midship Slayer worked in H2 or H3.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:

I'm in the same boat.

Have to get 1 challenge tomorrow and its done.

Ramirez said:

5v5 was aweful. Halo works best at 4v4, Halo 3 social slayer is a terrible experience with chaotic assualt rifle rushes, theres no flanking, no tactics, just running at eachother. Sure thats fun, but so is the tactical game.

I would be playing a lot more Halo 3 right now if Social Slayer wasnt 5v5 :(

Anyone want a game of Chess by the way?
Thats right 1v1 me at chess you noobs :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A27 Tawpgun said:
My proposed fixes to Classic

General: 1 nade starts. MAYBE no nades on map. Or just make one spawn on the map in their spots. Instead of 2.

OS needs 2 layers. You know. Like the CLASSIC OS? I always thought the Also, anyway to make camo consistent despite speed?

More maps. Tempest ones welcomed.

Specific: Fix Elbow to S2 Jump. Make it more fluid. It's clunky as hell and you always fall off.

Grenades need to be on the map in some capacity for the sheer fact that you need them to flush out campers (sword and shotgun especially).

xxjuicesxx said:
Can that falcon blow up rockets coming at it? I swear I nailed the rocket with turret fire 2 out of the 3 times I saw rockets flying at me but it did nothing...

and just got the weekly!

You can detonate grenades, I'm pretty sure you can detonate rockets by hitting them too.

Top Bottom