• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Sai-kun

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Great games guys. That game of Speedpile on Hemorrhage was unbelievable. Down 8-24 we come back to win 50-47. Sniping dudes out of the Warthog carrying the three pointer, Sai's controller dying on a crucial end-game run back, scoring the winning points a few seconds before they scored theirs...so good.

Gotta work for eight hours tomorrow, but that game ends today on a high note. Thanks for helping me get the assist challenge to boot.

It died TWICE on me. :lol Once when I was trying score like 3 of the flags, and Jironmo was like "Dude what are you DOING", sitting in front of me with a mongoose, and then the second time when it was 46-47. Haha, that was so tense and awesome. I'm glad we won that!

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Top 5 new junior posters of OT3:

No. 5 - ncsuDuncan (168 posts)
No. 4 - Hitmonchan107 (246 posts)
No. 3 - A27_StarWolf (255 posts)
No. 2 - Steelyuhas (262 posts)
No. 1 - A27 Tawpgun (334 posts)
Q5mXx.png

I'm okay with 3rd
Edit: I guess this makes me second lol

Hypertrooper said:
Finally checked out the Action sack playlist. I only played Speedpile, but it was fun. I'm going to try out later again.
This feels more like a tweet than a forum post.

P.S. Trying a new toothpaste tonight, wish me luck!

Hitmonchan107 said:

Oh shit! Didn't realize I was posting so much haha.

Striker said:
When I think of Halo CTF or Halo Assault, I think of 4v4. Maps like Beaver Creek, Warlock, Midship, and Sanctuary, the prime objective maps from Halo 2, were sublime for 8 people. Any more and it becomes crammed.

Halo 2's 6v6 Team Battle played great, as well, but you have to put them on appropriate maps. You can't use every symmetrical maps sans BTB because, quiet frankly, 12 people on a map the size of Midship makes no god damn sense. That's why you use them specifically for large maps, or the smaller BTB-type maps, ala Terminal and Relic.

Yeah, it's going to be ridiculous when you already have:

SLAYER ONLY Team Arena (4v4)
SLAYER ONLY Team Slayer (4v4)
SLAYER ONLY Squad Battle (5v5)

What's the sense of this?

Yeah I don't understand the point of a 5v5 slayer playlist, let alone a 5v5 playlist in general. I certainly understand the want for a general 6v6 playlist (not just DLC), but 5v5 seems pointless.

ncsuDuncan said:
COMMUNITY BTB (Available 4.05.11)

Just noticed this on the Active Playlists page. Not sure if it's been mentioned yet.

General Playlist thoughts:
- Combine Defiant DLC and Noble DLC into one 6v6 DLC playlist (as mentioned already)
- Put Grifball in Action Sack. The wonderful, friendly people at GrifballHub would hate me for this, so maybe make it easy for them to Rock the Vote and choose Grifball.
- Remove Living Dead, Team Snipers, and Team Swat. Replace them with the Weekly Playlist

Weekly Playlist lasts seven (7!) days and rotates between:
- Living Dead
- Team Snipers
- Team Swat
- Team Flag

Hmm, that's all I have for now, aside from the obvious tweaks to Objective. I still think it's ridiculous that they're trying to cater to every possible party size. I think teams of 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8 are all that is needed. 3 and 5 don't require their own playlists (or 7, I guess :p).

Why would you remove Living Dead, Team Snipers, and Team Swat as permanent playlists? They all have significant population support, and in fact, SWAT is one of the most popular playlists in the game.

Nuborn

Heres a quick question for those who forge, what do you have your rotation snap set to? I always seem to have it at 45.

JonCha

equil said:
4SK in classic slayer is awesome.

Honestly, this gametype feels way too restricted for me. You don't have any grenades and just unlimited ammo. The paceis slowed right down.

To be honest I'd also like the 'novelty' playlists - Living Dead, especially - to be combined somehow. There should be a core base of competitive playlist that have good population numbers, and then follow the Halo 3 model of featuring them on a weekly basis.

Congrats on OT4, I guess.

I agree with the people saying there need to be less playlist in Reach.
There is a too great spreath of players and whenever I say that Living death and griffball are two of the most active playlists, I cringe.
There should be a rotating playlist, with maybe a higher gamefinish bonus to make players actually play it.
This playlist could be the new home of living death, griffball and firefight versus, which is grosly underused.

I don't know any other examples for this playlist, maybe action sack but I'm sure there are enough creative minds in the Halo community to make it a great playlist

MrBig

Dax01 said:
There's no group on NeoGAF like HaloGAF.
Ya'll are just hater's. Forgegaf is no where near a second OT

I won't be a good host for forgegaf today, so hopefully Nokyard is here or someone else can take over; I'm still sick as fuck and can't stand looking at a screen for that long right now.

And I have GAF bookmarked via subscriptions so I thought it was still down today :(

equil

JonCha said:
Honestly, this gametype feels way too restricted for me. You don't have any grenades and just unlimited ammo. The paceis slowed right down.

Not having grenades seems to balance it out, because you die so much quicker.

Hey You

ncsuDuncan said:

Just noticed this on the Active Playlists page. Not sure if it's been mentioned yet.

- Combine Defiant DLC and Noble DLC into one 6v6 DLC playlist (as mentioned already)
- Put Grifball in Action Sack. The wonderful, friendly people at GrifballHub would hate me for this, so maybe make it easy for them to Rock the Vote and choose Grifball.
- Remove Living Dead, Team Snipers, and Team Swat. Replace them with the Weekly Playlist

- Living Dead
- Team Snipers
- Team Swat
- Team Flag

Hmm, that's all I have for now, aside from the obvious tweaks to Objective. I still think it's ridiculous that they're trying to cater to every possible party size. I think teams of 1, 2, 4, 6, and 8 are all that is needed. 3 and 5 don't require their own playlists (or 7, I guess :p).
I see no reason to remove playlists that are usually 2000+ such as Living Dead. During the day (PST) most playlists have 1000+ atleast, the lowest usually being Arena and Co-op Campaign.

This is my first Halo game. The campaign is pretty good so far, I'm up to mission 8
where the hell was mission 1?

Still getting accustomed to dual stick shooting. I felt painfully inept for the first few hours, now I seem to be doing ok haha

My GT is WearYourHat. I'm still struggling online so I could use a decent squadmate to follow around.

JonCha

toasty_T said:
This is my first Halo game. The campaign is pretty good so far, I'm up to mission 8

Still getting accustomed to dual stick shooting. I felt painfully inept for the first few hours, now I seem to be doing ok haha

My GT is WearYourHat. I'm still struggling online so I could use a decent squadmate to follow around.

The first mission is the cutscene.

O D I N

Karl2177 said:
Not a junior anymore(Congrats, if I didn't say it in the last thread). ODIN is the 5th one.

/flex

Grats on Member ncsuDuncan

Hitmonchan107 said:
That's why I said "new" junior posters. Those were the highest posters from the new junior wave that happened in OT3.

But what the Hell. Congrats, ODIN? lol

A thank you, sir.

Tawpgun

Hitmonchan107 said:

I should have gotten 343 posts. I have failed you HaloGAF....

ncsuDuncan said:

- Living Dead
- Team Snipers
- Team Swat
- Team Flag

HOLY HELL BAD IDEAS.

Putting Grifball in Action Sack only means that Action Sack turns into Grifball. It will be the Rocket Hog Race of Action Sack.

Removing popular playlists like SWAT and Snipers seems like a terrible idea as well. I personally don't care for them, but I REALLY want them to keep my living dead.... as soon as they fix some of the more BS map set ups (ascension....) maybe even add some custom infection maps.

Team Flag is cool though.

MrBig

There needs to be a weekly or weekend playlist or something. There's so much to choose from right now that they're all going stale. Maybe introduce a new community gametype each month with their fancy gametpe scripting tools
toasty_T said:

FR sent. You'll fit in to my friends list right next to SomeOneInAHat :lol

I'll send you an invite later and joining GAF customs tonight will show you the decent side of the multiplayer if matchmaking isn't your thing

e: so yeah, the posts that Mr Lake was making in HaloGAF were just jokes :lol
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26866312&postcount=8565

Kujo

Keep:
RUMBLE PIT
DOUBLE TEAM
TEAM SLAYER
TEAM OBJECTIVE (Remove Headhunter and Stockpile)
BIG TEAM BATTLE
MLG
FIREFIGHT ARCADE
SCORE ATTACK
INVASION

Temp (2 each week):
ACTION SACK
TEAM CLASSIC (Or merge with Slayer)
GRIFBALL (Catch the latency)
LIVING DEAD
TEAM SWAT (Go play CoD)
TEAM SNIPERS (Zzzz)
MULTI TEAM
COMMUNITY BTB

Throw out:
THE ARENA
DEFIANT MAP PACK (Add DLC priority search)
NOBLE MAP PACK
UNCAGED
FIREFIGHT LIMITED (lol)
CO-OP CAMPAIGN

I downloaded Chess from some dudes fileshare, but its called something like "so bored" - is there a more official version to download?

Also - does anyone fancy a game? :p

Is it just me or do daily challenge payouts seem to be dropping, im sure we had the 'complete 15 games of matchmaking' challenge before for much more? Same with a few other challenges actually.

Oh snap, we're on OT4 already.

We're like, the only community that has like, gotten to OT4 right?

By the way, Customs need to happen tonight no battles. I will actually be able to make it.

O D I N

Mojo said:
Keep:
RUMBLE PIT
DOUBLE TEAM
TEAM SLAYER
TEAM OBJECTIVE (Remove Headhunter and Stockpile)
BIG TEAM BATTLE
MLG
FIREFIGHT ARCADE
SCORE ATTACK
INVASION

Agree

Temp (2 each week):
ACTION SACK
TEAM CLASSIC (Or merge with Slayer)
GRIFBALL (Catch the latency)
LIVING DEAD
TEAM SWAT (Go play CoD)
TEAM SNIPERS (Zzzz)
MULTI TEAM
COMMUNITY BTB

It's such a different game with those settings. I think a permanent list is in order. Action Sack should stay, for those of us who like those 'custom' games in MM. If having Living Dead on a rotation means more community maps and gametypes, then yes please.

Throw out:
THE ARENA
DEFIANT MAP PACK (Add DLC priority search)
NOBLE MAP PACK
UNCAGED
FIREFIGHT LIMITED (lol)
CO-OP CAMPAIGN

NO. Some of us like longer games of FF. Granted, we also want more of a challenge out of FF (see Ghaleon's suggestion thread), but until then, I think Limited should stay

Replies in Quotes. For the most part I agree. I've been playing Reach off/on for the last couple of weeks, but once I get back into it all of the time, that's all I can really comment on.

Kujo

O D I N said:
Replies in Quotes. For the most part I agree. I've been playing Halo off/on for the last couple of weeks, but once I get back into it all of the time, that's all I can really comment on.
Keep Classic as permanent, but port all the original maps dammit (I am not a fan of Forge's look).

And I guess Limited could stay if you're into that kinda thing, I'm not one to judge

ohai OT4. Ruined my weekly last night by going to see Chris Cornell play at the Paramount here in Austin. Totally worth it.

Carry on.

zlatko

Banned
I present to you Halo: Reach's net code:

Consumption-of-Feces.jpg

If I pick to find same region/good connection, etc I'll NEVER find a game. If I go for quick games here's the end result----connections where you can tell someone(host) has a clear as fuck advantage. How do I know? I was playing Grifball, and if I'm 2093843029 feet away and he swings and hits the ground on my screen, but he gets a kill and I had full health... yeah come the hell on now. I played Grifball in order to get the 15/15 games played quickly as I'll be busy the rest of the day now. Of the 13ish or so games of it I played about 90% had people with no headsets, 80% had people quit early or just not play and sit in their spawn, and 100% of the games had constant inconsistency with hammer swings...oh and 100% of the games gave me fuck awful team mates. People who literally spawn and swing, people who will let the ball carrier just walk by, people who run around betraying on purpose, people who try to kill opponents through me... in short retards almost every last game, although some had redeeming players.

Can someone explain to me why in the year 2010 Bungie decided dedicated servers was a bad idea? Come the fuck on! Poorer studios muster it up because hosting and peer to peer junk dog shit should be banned at this point.

Sorry to go on a rage, but you'd think stuidos like Bungie and Infinityward/Treyarch could stop living in the past with this hosting dog shit already. Or is there a legit reason why hosting would be 100% better than dedicated servers for Halo other than herp derp we save money to not give you dedicated servers?

MrBig

zlatko said:
Can someone explain to me why in the year 2010 Bungie decided dedicated servers was a bad idea? Come the fuck on! Poorer studios muster it up because hosting and peer to peer junk dog shit should be banned at this point.

Halo's system at least would not work on dedis. The matchmaking-arena style gameplay is based around standard, complete player matches (though it only ever actually works like that half the time) that you can't do with dedis. I have no idea why CoD doesn't have it though, I actually thought that was how it worked. Haven't played it since CoD4 though.

In any case it's not in Bungie's hands. MS owns Halo. Halo is 343's baby now. It would be their job to maintain and build all of that.

zlatko

Banned
Gui_PT said:
The hell's wrong with you?

I'm frustrated. :/

Thanks for the clarification Mr Big. I hope 343 with the next Halo game looks into some way to ditch hosting and find a better route. I'd also like them to introduce playlists where if my team mates quit it cycles and lets someone join mid game.

Kujo

Reach's net code is pretty decent.

But Grifball is awful if you aren't host or have a very low ping. I had a match on a yellow bar and it wouldn't register any of my hammer swings. Next game I got host and get a running riot. I don't bother with it anymore.

zlatko

Banned
Mojo said:
Reach's net code is pretty decent.

But Grifball is awful if you aren't host or have a very low ping. I had a match on a yellow bar and it wouldn't register any of my hammer hits. I got host and get a running riot. I don't bother with it anymore.

Today sealed the deal for me not to touch the game type anymore. I tend to stay away from it and zombies for this very reason, but I was 19/24 challenges for the week, and so I had to get the 15/15 games played today before I would be too busy----fastest way is Grifball. :(

Kujo

zlatko said:
Today sealed the deal for me not to touch the game type anymore. I tend to stay away from it and zombies for this very reason, but I was 19/24 challenges for the week, and so I had to get the 15/15 games played today before I would be too busy----fastest way is Grifball. :(
I also stopped bothering with time consuming weekly challenges :p

JMizzlin

Is there any form of Tug of War gametype in Reach Matchmaking? That was seriously my favourite Halo 3 gametype, and I was totally devastated when they cut it :(

Mojo said:
<...playlist suggestions..>

Arena really is the more enjoyable variant to normal Reach Slayer. And if you threw out the DLC playlists, there'd be little point in buying maps, since I can count on one hand the amount of times I've encountered DLC maps in non DLC playlists. Implementing DLC Priority search is much more difficult than many seem to make out.

Detox

MrBig said:
Halo's system at least would not work on dedis. The matchmaking-arena style gameplay is based around standard, complete player matches (though it only ever actually works like that half the time) that you can't do with dedis. I have no idea why CoD doesn't have it though, I actually thought that was how it worked. Haven't played it since CoD4 though.

In any case it's not in Bungie's hands. MS owns Halo. Halo is 343's baby now. It would be their job to maintain and build all of that.

Halo's system would work with dedicated servers. I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at but Gears 3 will have dedicated servers and some of these are used in Gears 2 right now. Gears like Halo works around playlists and matchmaking and dedicated servers have no impact on this.

Here's how dedicated servers would work on Halo, search match, players found, set up game and assign server to those players.

Hopefully 343 can convince MS to give them dedicated servers it took Epic two games with horrible netcode and Gears 2 not really setting the Live charts on fire to get servers for Gears 3.

EDIT: @zero the netcode is great but the difference between dedicated and p2p is massive.

Willeth

So there's a weird thing going on with my Commendations. When I view them in game, the highest I have is a Silver and I have a ton of not-earneds. On bnet I have a bunch of Golds and the lowest I have is Iron.

Is it because I was in the Co-op Campaign lobby?

Reach's netcode is pretty great.
I say this as someone for who it is now largely unplayable, but only due to my current living arrangements (where I've been since January).
At release, sure, there was such a proliferation of black screens, but I would daresay Reach has the best console netcode for a video game.

BlueScrote said:
Arena really is the more enjoyable variant to normal Reach Slayer.
Population says otherwise. One can really argue that Arena hasn't been taken on by the Reach community considering how much work (appeared to have) went into it.

Ghaleons Multi-Person Firefight But Not Matchmaking Idea is a fantastic one, if one that I would fear would have too small a population.

MrBig

Detox said:
Halo's system would work with dedicated servers. I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at but Gears 3 will have dedicated servers and some of these are used in Gears 2 right now. Gears like Halo works around playlists and matchmaking and dedicated servers have no impact on this.

Here's how dedicated servers would work on Halo, search match, players found, set up game and assign server to those players.

Hopefully 343 can convince MS to give them dedicated servers it took Epic two games with horrible netcode and Gears 2 not really setting the Live charts on fire to get servers for Gears 3.
Yes I suppose it could work like that. I was only considering the always up dedicated server system of server list style games.
But then you couldn't have your entire matchmaking system dedicated to it, since your player base would be limited to how much you spend on hosting hardware.
Gear's comparatively small player-base (after gears 2 :lol) is more conducive to that system.

Are you from HM btw?

zlatko

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
Reach's netcode is pretty great.
I say this as someone for who it is now largely unplayable, but only due to my current living arrangements (where I've been since January).
At release, sure, there was such a proliferation of black screens, but I would daresay Reach has the best console netcode for a video game.

Population says otherwise. One can really argue that Arena hasn't been taken on by the Reach community considering how much work (appeared to have) went into it.

I'm wondering if I didn't care enough years ago to notice lag issues with games, but in the past 2 years it's become something that can turn me right off from games. I'm almost gearing myself to not even bother buying hosted games anymore in the future since there has been better ways to go about it (dedi servers) and there MUST be better ways other than just that to go about it, but too many developers seem to not be looking to push forward in that space as much as worrying about pre-order DLC and other stupid shit.

For me it seems Call of Duty 4 was the best console shooter experience I had. The worst was easily Gears of War 2. If we start to take in PS3 console shooters then Uncharted 2 had the best net code that wasn't dedi servers, and the best with dedi is a tie between Resistance and Killzone 2.

Detox

Hosting is not an issue at all. Gears 3 will easily top Reach on the live charts at launch and there will be enough servers for everyone. Both Left 4 Dead games also use this system and they have no problem, I assume they scale their servers accordingly but if the Gears franchise can afford servers so can Halo.

I'm not sure what HM is, if it's a forum then no.

zlatko said:
I present to you Halo: Reach's net code:
Reach's net code is fantastic. The best out there not including dedicated servers.
(The fuck is with that picture dude? I don't care if your "frustrated", that's nasty and you need to take that down).

Top Bottom