• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Spartan Assault |OT| Feels Like Halo

Caayn

Xbox One version is just released, weighs around the 2.53GB and costs $14.99 or $4.99 if you bought either one of the WP8 or W8 versions. Time to update the OP Tashi?

Save game from the WP8/W8 version carry over. Thus the Xbox One version supports cross-saves.

Edit:
So a short impression after playing the Xbox One version compared to the W8 version.

Graphically it doesn't look very different. The colors look much more vibrant making the overall picture look better.
Gameplay wise the controller works better than it does on the W8 version. Auto-aim works better, in a positive way. Still the strange bug were you keep aiming, while you clearly aren't is still present. A quick hit in any random direction on the right analog stick fixes this.
Halo 4 achievements give you (one time) acces to weapons/AA in the Xbox One version that you normally need to buy with the XP(or micro-transactions) you earned.

Xbox One version is just released, weighs around the 2.53GB and costs $14.99 or $4.99 if you bought either one of the WP8 or W8 versions. Time to update the OP Tashi?

Save game from the WP8/W8 version carry over. Thus the Xbox One version supports cross-saves.

Did not know this. Should be free, but that's still cool. I'll wait to see how the 360 version runs. No chance that any of the new content comes to the Windows versions?

Mistel

Banned
Is 360 pricing most likely going to be the same as the One's? I'll find the UK price and edit it in if I can find it.

Edit: apparently it is £11.99 according to this review

Caayn

So there's this weird thing going on when you've played either the W8/WP8 version before and use that save-file. The stats transfer correctly, all my mission completion/stars are transfered over and the same goes for my XP/earned medals. But the stats for achievements aren't. Which makes some achievements confusing. For example for the achievement that require you to operation are unlocked after you've replayed every mission, unlike the cross-save between WP8 and W8 were you only need to complete the last mission of every operation for the achievement to unlock. Same goes for every achievement in the game.

I don't really mind getting all the achievements from scratch again. But I can't see my achievement progress as I see my total stats and not only the stats of my Xbox One progress.

Little impression on the Flood mode:
Flood mode is challenging and contains 5 mission, only played the first two so far both ask you to survive for a set period of time. You get new AAs to help you fight the Flood and the Battle Rifle makes a return(don't remember seeing this in the campaign). Downside is that you can't play it solo.

Timu

I just checked and I'm surprised it's already out.

Xander51

I bought this on Windows 8 and didn't play a ton of it. I wish that they had added more for the console release, but at 5 bucks I guess I'll try it.

Xander51

So there's this weird thing going on when you've played either the W8/WP8 version before and use that save-file. The stats transfer correctly, all my mission completion/stars are transfered over and the same goes for my XP/earned medals. But the stats for achievements aren't. Which makes some achievements confusing. For example for the achievement that require you to operation are unlocked after you've replayed every mission, unlike the cross-save between WP8 and W8 were you only need to complete the last mission of every operation for the achievement to unlock. Same goes for every achievement in the game.

I don't really mind getting all the achievements from scratch again. But I can't see my achievement progress as I see my total stats and not only the stats of my Xbox One progress.

Little impression on the Flood mode:
Flood mode is challenging and contains 5 mission, only played the first two so far both ask you to survive for a set period of time. You get new AAs to help you fight the Flood and the Battle Rifle makes a return(don't remember seeing this in the campaign). Downside is that you can't play it solo.

Does this game officially support save sharing or are you copying it over somehow? I didn't see any way to transfer my save file over from the Windows 8 version.

EDIT: Also, I just finished the tutorial on the Xbox One and the game froze when going back to the menu. Yay!

Caayn

Does this game officially support save sharing or are you copying it over somehow? I didn't see any way to transfer my save file over from the Windows 8 version.

EDIT: Also, I just finished the tutorial on the Xbox One and the game froze when going back to the menu. Yay!
It is automatically synced between the different versions of the game. Only problem is that it is impossible to track your achievements once you've played either W8/WP8 versions before playing the Xbox One version >.>

When syncing between the WP8 and W8 versions achievement stats are carried over. For example if I have every medal on the W8 version I only need to trigger the achievement on the WP8 version by unlocking a random medal. This doesn't work with the XB1 and on top of that all medals in this case are shown as unlocked, so I've got absolutely no clue about what medals I need to earn on the XB1 version.

This goes for every other achievement in the game. Hope that 343i patches this very soon.

Caayn

Seems like I was to soon with the achievements. The only progress that isn't transfered is if you beat the mission yes/no. My gold stars/medals appear correct now, strange but it works so I'm happy :D
Apologies for any confusion/misinformation I caused/spread.
Having problems with the X1 version crashing to the dash every 20 mins or so, bloody annoying!
Strange it hasn't crashed on me yet. Are you using snap while playing?

Having problems with the X1 version crashing to the dash every 20 mins or so, bloody annoying!

Crashed for me too, which is a problem I have with Peggle 2 a lot. Xbox support told me to do a full turn off of my console (hold power button for 10 seconds) then unplug power button for 3 minutes then try again. Its not crashed on me yet tbf, although i've only done the first 3 missions.

Game is fun, very bite sized in terms of the single player levels (which isn't a surprise as its made for mobile devices). Going to play co-op with a friend later, which should be fun.

Spades

Halo 4 achievements give you (one time) acces to weapons/AA in the Xbox One version that you normally need to buy with the XP(or micro-transactions) you earned.

Can you tell me more about the Halo 4 achievement bonuses please?

Can anyone confirm if this has online co-op on Xbox One? If so, just 2 players, or 4?

EDIT: My bad, it does say 1-2 players on XBL in the store on the console, so I guess it's 2 player co-op.

Caayn

Can you tell me more about the Halo 4 achievement bonuses please?
I don't know which achievements are necessary for the unlocks in SA. I just got a pop-up saying that I unlocked power weapons as I have some Halo 4 achievements. I've got all Halo 4 achievements so I've got absolutely no clue which ones are necessary or that all are necessary
You get a one time free use of one the two most expensive options of each class. So you can get one free weapon, boost and AA. Just like every other item these too are one time only, so you need to purchases them again, with XP or cash, if you want to use them again.

Also don't be scared by the micro-transactions. They are there, but you can easily skip them as missions mostly give you XP in the range of 500~1500. Which is enough to buy new items. So there's not really a grind involved in this game
Can anyone confirm if this has online co-op on Xbox One? If so, just 2 players, or 4?

EDIT: My bad, it does say 1-2 players on XBL in the store on the console, so I guess it's 2 player co-op.
Jup it's 2 player co-op only, either via matchmaking or invites. There's currently no way for you to play those maps without a second player.

Spades

I don't know which achievements are necessary for the unlocks in SA. I just got a pop-up saying that I unlocked power weapons as I have some Halo 4 achievements. I've got all Halo 4 achievements so I've got absolutely no clue which ones are necessary or that all are necessary
You get a one time free use of one the two most expensive options of each class. So you can get one free weapon, boost and AA. Just like every other item these too are one time only, so you need to purchases them again, with XP or cash, if you want to use them again.

Thanks. I have over 1300 GS in Halo 4 and I had no such pop-up. Perhaps you need them all?

Caayn

Mission are still the same but the scores required for bronze, silver and gold stars are slightly different in the Xbox One version compared to the W8/WP8 versions.

Spades

Mission are still the same but the scores required for bronze, silver and gold stars are slightly different in the Xbox One version compared to the W8/WP8 versions.

The game is great fun - especially for fans of the Halo universe - but I wish the missions were a little longer.

Caayn

The game is great fun - especially for fans of the Halo universe - but I wish the missions were a little longer.
We can't really blame 343i for that. The game was originally intended for a mobile platform. We asked for a console version of the game and 343i gave us one with extra content.

I'm not complaining I'm enjoying this game (again).

Spades

We can't really blame 343i for that. The game was originally intended for a mobile platform. We asked for a console version of the game and 343i gave us one with extra content.

I'm not complaining I'm enjoying this game (again).

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining at all - as a huge Halo fan, I'm loving it. Going to enjoy getting all golds and all of the medals.

Going to make this my first Xbox One 1k I think.

Caayn

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining at all - as a huge Halo fan, I'm loving it. Going to enjoy getting all golds and all of the medals.

Going to make this my first Xbox One 1k I think.
Sorry if it sounded like that you to :( Wasn't meant that way.

If you need help with the co-op achievements, or just wanna play a few games, hit me up on XBL. My gamertag is on my profile page.

So I just saw footage of this game on XB1, and it has a ridiculous amount of aim assist...

And then i got into an argument with a friend about it, in which he claims "Aim assist defines the feel of Halo" to which I disagreed.

Does everyone here feel like Aim Assist is what defines the Halo franchise, in such a way that is is required to be used in a top down twin stick shooter?

Spades

If you need help with the co-op achievements, or just wanna play a few games, hit me up on XBL. My gamertag is on my profile page.

Thanks, I just followed you! I'm Block Mate.

Mistel

Banned

Can I also take you up on this offer? before I get the 360 version of it, I'd rather have stuff if I can get from achievements than none at all.

Caayn

Can I also take you up on this offer? before I get the 360 version of it, I'd rather have stuff if I can get from achievements than none at all.
Yeah sure, just send me a message on XBL whenever you want to go.

Edit:
There's a weird thing going on in co-op. When I'm in a party with someone from Australia it doesn't allow us to play together. We can't find each other in matchmaking and we can't sent invites to each other. The game give us an error that player cannot be found. While I have no problems playing with someone from the US.

My NAT is open btw, I've put my Xbox One in a DMZ.

Caayn

The border is a bit weird. The pc version also has those.

Just got my last achievement :D Well... except for "extra credit" which is glitched for people who've played the WP8/W8 version before :(

Hmmmm.... I have the WP8/W8 versions but still did not begin playing them. Should I start with those versions or is it safe to start on Xbox One and later continue on WP8/W8?

Caayn

Some tips for newcomers: Don't fear to use the Plasma Pistol it's stronger than you think and ammo is always available.
And if you start on the achievement for completing every challange, do the challenges in operation D first. Those are the worst, so it will only get better in the other operations.

Need quick XP? Go play the first mission with the hollow and black eye skull. Or do mission A-4 with the same skulls. It's incredibly easy to get a gold star on those missions and you can complete them in just over a minute. Earning you 900XP every two minutes.

Looking for something to spend that hard earned XP on, go and buy the rocket launcher/spartan laser.
Hmmmm.... I have the WP8/W8 versions but still did not begin playing them. Should I start with those versions or is it safe to start on Xbox One and later continue on WP8/W8?
The games are cross-save compatible across all the current platforms. It works perfect for me between my WP8, W8 and XB1 versions. There's only one bug related to cross-save that glitches the "extra credit" achievement on the XB1 versions :(

Keep in mind that the game might need a few seconds to sync its save-file after you've just booted it up.

Spades

Need quick XP? Go play the first mission with the hollow and black eye skull. Or do mission A-4 with the same skulls. It's incredibly easy to get a gold star on those missions and you can complete them in just over a minute. Earning you 900XP every two minutes.

Very helpful, thanks!

Do you have any tips on what mission/technique is best to go for the Unfrigginbelievable medal?

Caayn

Very helpful, thanks!

Do you have any tips on what mission/technique is best to go for the Unfrigginbelievable medal?
Unfrigginbelievable is a co-op medal. And is incredibly easy to earn. But the easiest method by far would be the last co-op mission. When you start you'll see two flood dens, one to the left and one to the right of the light bridge. Go stand in front of one of them so that flood will spawn from there, when they spawn simply throw a incendiary grenade. And let the kills rack up. Since it is the beginning of the level it will mostly spawn infection forms. Alternatively the second co-op mission is also very easy to do this on. Just throw a incendiary grenade over at the barrier in the north. This is where the flood will spawn first and once again mostly infection forms which are instantly killed by the fire.

Spades

Unfrigginbelievable is a co-op medal. And is incredibly easy to earn. But the easiest method by far would be the last co-op mission. When you start you'll see two flood dens, one to the left and one to the right of the light bridge. Go stand in front of one of them so that flood will spawn from there, when they spawn simply throw a incendiary grenade. And let the kills rack up. Since it is the beginning of the level it will mostly spawn infection forms. Alternatively the second co-op mission is also very easy to do this on. Just throw a incendiary grenade over at the barrier in the north. This is where the flood will spawn first and once again mostly infection forms which are instantly killed by the fire.

Ah, that explains it as I haven't tried co-op yet! Been working my way through the campaign and getting all gold medals as I go and so have just finished Op D.

Loving the game so far. As a huge Halo fan, it's a great perspective on the universe. Feels so familiar.

Caayn

Any tips for gold star on E5? I'm just barely getting silver on that one.
Take your time and kill as many jackals as necessary for the gold star. Make sure you've got the Sprint AA so you can easily run away from
Marge Vol
when he's about to attack you.

aaaaa0

If anyone is still playing, it looks like Halo Spartan Assault was updated for 8" Baytrail tablets like the Dell Venue 8 Pro. Seems to work properly now.

Grisby

So I bought this because of the new price drop on the Xbox One but its been crashing on me a lot. I'm on Mission D and I've probably had a good 8 or 9 crashes to the dash, all at random points. Never had this problem with any other Xbox One game and it's really pissing me off.

Even gave me my first error code, "Game took too long to launch". I mean, lol, what the hell is that about?

Any of you had this issue or is there a patch coming?

PS- I don't think it's a power saving reset deal as I always have my X1 set to turn completely off every time I play.

So I bought this because of the new price drop on the Xbox One but its been crashing on me a lot. I'm on Mission D and I've probably had a good 8 or 9 crashes to the dash, all at random points. Never had this problem with any other Xbox One game and it's really pissing me off.

Even gave me my first error code, "Game took too long to launch". I mean, lol, what the hell is that about?

Any of you had this issue or is there a patch coming?

PS- I don't think it's a power saving reset deal as I always have my X1 set to turn completely off every time I play.

Try reinstalling maybe.

Grisby

Try reinstalling maybe.
Yeah, I might give that a shot. Thing is, I played for about 40 or so minutes and it worked fine. No crashes.

A lot of times it seems like it only does it when you complete a mission, which is the absolute worst time for that to happen.

gonna cross post this:

how the hell do you play co-op in Halo: Spartan Assault with someone in your party? we tried it last night but we couldn't figure it out. whenever I got an invite it would just bring me to the main menu. wtf

So, we get a sequel
but not on Xbox One
?

While Halo fans are looking forward to Halo: Master Chief Collection releasing on November 11th, there's another game to be excited about later this year. 343 Industries and Microsoft Studios are going to release Halo: Spartan Strike. This top-down shooter will be available in December for Windows, Windows Phone, and Steam.
Halo: Spartan Strike looks similar to Halo: Spartan Assault, which was released in June last year. We're digging for more details, but here is what we know so far:

Universal Windows App. Buy it once, and play on both Windows and Windows Phone.
Supports Windows Phone devices with 512MB RAM.
All-new Halo adventure and new Promethean foes
Similar controls and gameplay to Halo: Spartan Assault
Progress earned in one device transfers to other devices.
You can drive the iconic warthog and the new Kestrel VTOL.
Check back tomorrow for even more details!
http://www.wpcentral.com/halo-spartan-strike-coming-december-2014

Top Bottom