• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Review Thread

Yeah I'll probably get my copy tomorrow too, was hoping to get lucky with an early delivery but not happening.

I'll be on tomorrow though, have a day off. Message if I'm online and you want to play.

This month is a bit hectic in terms of work but I'm sure I'll be on for Sunday during the day. I might have to come to work on Monday :(

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's likely dipping below 80 with IGN weighing in and being pretty down on it.

And wih the utterly absent marketing for this title, i'm not expecting this to be a significant blip on the radar.

El Txou

These seem like some solid scores, I enjoyed a lot the Blitz Beta, great fun, so this is definitely welcomed news. Excited to play the campaign which has been described as a return to form for Halo, interesting considering it is an RTS. I am just happy that overall it seems to be a great game, once it unlocks I will be playing it tonight.

And wih the utterly absent marketing for this title, i'm not expecting this to be a significant blip on the radar.
Wut? It's had a hella big push online, including some big stuff on Twitter. I mean I'm still not expecting it to sell exceptionally well, saying it's had utterly absent marketing just isn't true

Somnia

I figured Dan reviewing it would make it score low, but Ryan on Xbox Unlocked is making it sound like he really enjoyed it at least.

OldRoutes

I'm wondering why some reviews mention bugs while other don't mention them at all...

Maybe it's an Xbox -- PC thing? I don't know...

But most reviews are pretty good! Read some bad reviews and I just didn't agree with what was written about RTS and how the game looked in general, so I guess that's that!

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not really.

I haven't seen anything at all indicating this game is about to launch, nor has there been much hype online from what i've seen.

If there has been a marketing push, it certainly managed to elude me thus far. But good that they aren't sending this out to die.

blakep267

Wut? It's had a hella big push online, including some big stuff on Twitter. I mean I'm still not expecting it to sell exceptionally well, saying it's had utterly absent marketing just isn't true
Yeah I'm not really understanding the no marketing or non awareness. They had a twitter campaign/game, a 10 day beta, a tab on the Xbox homepage that never leaves; 2 witty commercials that seemingly have good views. What more can they do

m23

I'm not too concerned about the length of the game. As long as it's comparable to the first game and pacing is good, I'll be happy.

Andodalf

Banned
I hate how a 4/5 is a "bad" score. It's pretty stupid that people correlate 80 meta with bad when most would independently call a 4/5 good.

Theorry

I haven't seen anything at all indicating this game is about to launch, nor has there been much hype online from what i've seen.

If there has been a marketing push, it certainly managed to elude me thus far. But good that they aren't sending this out to die.

Its all about intrest also. There are enough games for me that slipped through even there was a big marketing push going on. I didnt know Nioh for example was coming out until release. It it got streamed alot already before release and there were a couple of beta's i figured out later. Still slipped through the cracks for me. :)

I hate how a 4/5 is a "bad" score. It's pretty stupid that people correlate 80 meta with bad when most would independently call a 4/5 good.

I agree! It really just seems to be a weird interpretation on the part of online communities. The reality is that reviews don't drive as much online traffic as they used to, so sites are careful about the games they pick. Being careful about what games you pick means you're probably going to avoid games that are in the 1 through 5 (or 6) range.

It reminds me of the whole "MTV doesn't play music videos anymore!" argument. They stopped doing so because their viewers were more interested in reality TV crap.

Getting back on topic, 8 out of 10 for Halo Wars 2 makes it more than worth my time.

OldRoutes

Yeah I'm not really understanding the no marketing or non awareness. They had a twitter campaign/game, a 10 day beta, a tab on the Xbox homepage that never leaves; 2 witty commercials that seemingly have good views. What more can they do

Billboard on the moon!

Fuchsdh

They dont relate. Halo Wars is being reviewed in the sense of a strategy game on consoles, where this genre almost doesnt exist, never had good controls, has no history and no competition and no benchmark. By a gaming press that loves to play on consoles and controllers.

Company of Heroes 2 was being reviewed against the full might of the entire strategy genre in all its incarnations and decades of presence and evolution and against its ilustrous predecesor which is the highest rated RTS of all time.

They're different beasts.

Eh, looking at some of the reviews it looks like HW2 is getting benched against PC RTS as well. Which seems understandable, given that it's simultaneously releasing on PC this go around. I still approach it from a console RTS perspective since that's where I'll be spending the most time, but it's worth criticism from the other corner.

are the cinematic leaked online yet? i just want to know the story, ending and after credit scenes to see if they may play into the next halo mainline installment.

I'd wait until "official" release beginning of next week. By that point everyone who's played the Ultimate edition early will probably have full plot details and cinematics up for those who care.

RoKKeR

So its apparently pretty good, thats cool for Halo Wars fans, never tried the franchise but it seem like a decent time.

This is the main thing for me... HW2 is a "fan service" game through and through. The original game sold decently, but obviously the audience for RTS on consoles is fairly small. Neat to see a game like this get another chance, if anything just to bring the gameplay into a new generation and give the fans a fresh take on the game.

Still flip-flopping on the Ultimate Edition or not. Does that season pass seem like it'll be worth it?

GTSweet

Neo Member
I probably will buy this later on in it's life when it's cheaper to do so digitally for me.

I'm with you. I'm very interested in the campaign and some casual multiplayer but not enough to jump in full retail price. I'll jump in at first 50% sale most likely.

Theorry

I probably will buy this later on in it's life when it's cheaper to do so digitally for me.

I'm with you. I'm very interested in the campaign and some casual multiplayer but not enough to jump in full retail price. I'll jump in at first 50% sale most likely.

It was pretty cheap at cdkeys. $38. Its now abit higher tho. Should keep a eye on that site.

Pepin

8/10 - Xbox Achievements

'Halo Wars 2 is a worthy follow-up to one of the most underrated exclusives on the Xbox 360. The game makes a point of proving RTS games have a place on consoles with a smart, intuitive control system and a campaign that puts older RTS stories to shame. The Halo universe suits the units/base system so well, and if you’re a fan of the series we recommend this game to you - even if you’re not an RTS nut: it’s easy to pick up, it’s fun to play, and it gives a wonderful new perspective on the Halo universe.'

BondFancy

This is the main thing for me... HW2 is a "fan service" game through and through. The original game sold decently, but obviously the audience for RTS on consoles is fairly small. Neat to see a game like this get another chance, if anything just to bring the gameplay into a new generation and give the fans a fresh take on the game.

Still flip-flopping on the Ultimate Edition or not. Does that season pass seem like it'll be worth it?

What sold me is that we will be getting new campaign missions and leaders. If it was maps I would've skipped the ultimate edition, however that kind of DLC intrigues me.

tumblr_m934hfztvH1r1ang0o1_400.gif

Preloaded, now I just wait.

The last decent RTS came out almost a year ago (Total War: Warhammer) and guess who made that? Creative Assembly. They know what the fuck they are doing when it comes to strategy games.

Vitacat

I NEED HELP. :eek:)

I am so overwhelmed with games right now... and Switch coming in 2 weeks... ugh.

I do want this game, and am feeling pressured to pre-order the Ultimate Edition to also get the remastered Halo Wars 1.

What precedent is there to suggest this game will go on a decent sale in maybe a year or so? Perhaps for the holiday season?

Really looking for some sensible reason to hold off for now.

I am so overwhelmed with games right now... and Switch coming in 2 weeks... ugh.

I do want this game, and am feeling pressured to pre-order the Ultimate Edition to also get the remastered Halo Wars 1.

What precedent is there to suggest this game will go on a decent sale in maybe a year or so? Perhaps for the holiday season?

Usually MS first party games go on sale pretty quickly.

shandy706

I know that feel.

I still bought HW2 with how cheap it is/was on cdkeys site.

Get it on that Visa Checkout deal. $25 off an order over $100 at Best Buy.

I'm very pleased this is getting good scores. Congrats to 343 and Creative Assembly.

Lots of YouTube ads and a Twitter campaign.

Top Bottom