• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Review Thread

pitchfork

Attempt to be funny actually

350.gif

iFirez

3 Day weekend to spend with Halo Wars 2, I'm avoiding spoilers and such but do we know how long the single player is on average? I'm quite excited to jump into some MP vs AI and Blitz Firefight too.

Lifeline

Another early 2017 game that ended up being surprisingly good. Has any retail game released this year with bad reviews?

Seeing a lot of positivity around the 2017 games so far.

I'd wait until "official" release beginning of next week. By that point everyone who's played the Ultimate edition early will probably have full plot details and cinematics up for those who care.

okay thank you :)
i still love my rts, so i will most likely pick it up down the road and play on pc, but i still want to see how the story is because im impatient. lol

thelastword

Banned
Why are people surprised by the scores, the first Halo Wars got an 82 on MC, I dont think this one will reach as high though....The first one came out when the Halo name alone would net it some good reviews........don't think the halo name is as loaded as it used to be, so this one will be graded moreso on how good it is against the competiton...

Theorry

Why are people surprised by the scores, the first Halo Wars got an 82 on MC, I dont think this one will reach as high though....The first one came out when the Halo name alone would net it some good reviews........don't think the halo name is as loaded as it used to be, so this one will be graded moreso on how good it is against the competiton...

Reviewers are also abit more strict then 8 years ago. So it being close to the first one is pretty good. :)

Not seeing *anything* about coop campaign, which is the way I plan on playing through the game. Not sure if it makes the game easier, harder, changes things, etc.

Oh well, pretty thrilled as a Halo fan here. And the scores are about what I expected!

Theorry

9/10

Final Thoughts

Halo Wars 2 is a game I thoroughly enjoyed while reviewing it and will continue appreciating as long as the servers are active. Campaign felt slightly shorter than I previously expected, though with a campaign expansion imminent, that might scratch the eagerness I have for more single-player experience. As for multiplayer, I extremely encourage everyone reading the review to get the game and experience it, as it’s perhaps going to be the finest RTS experience available on a console system. The User Interface is clean, good-looking, and easy to navigate, something we haven’t seen in a while. I dare say Microsoft is going to replicate the success of its predecessor in 2009 once again with Halo Wars 2. I expect a third installment is just a matter of time.

http://rectifygaming.com/review-halo-wars-2-xbox-one/

Theorry

9/10
I know I've mentioned Starcraft II a couple of times in this review, but it's certainly the yardstick by which most RTS games are measured and this one is no different. There are obvious comparisons to be drawn between both games and Creative Assembly certainly wears its influences proudly, but Halo Wars 2 never strays into clone territory. It stands well on its own, creating an experience that combines cinematic storytelling with varied and interesting strategic gameplay, as well as throwing in a few explosions for which Halo is often known. And best of all, it manages to be accessible enough that even a blunt object like myself can finish the campaign.

http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/halo-wars-2-review/

Metacritic looks up also.

82 on Metacritic right now. IGN review will possibly lower the meta by a point though.

Putting aside the scores for a moment and actually reading the reviews, it is apparent this is about as good a console focused rts game gets.

CyReN

Here's our review

Conclusion

Halo Wars 2 is a capable successor to the original Halo Wars, and a sturdy addition to the Halo franchise. It introduces new fluidity and flexibility to gameplay throughout singleplayer and multiplayer, and features a well-written overarching story and well-rounded cast of characters. A lack of character development for Atriox and The Banished was unfortunate to see, and the story isn't without its fair share of plot holes and missing information, but there is a strong foundation to build upon as 343 Industries prepares for Halo 6 and future Halo installments. Perhaps if the game was marketed/advertised differently, my expectations for the characters and story would have been in a different place.

Not mentioned in this review is Halo Wars 2's new card-based Blitz multiplayer mode, which didn't entice me too much, but adds a new department to spend more time with the game's well-refined gameplay in both a PvP and PvE setting. This mode seems to me as more of an ‘icing on the cake' addition rather than a forceful micro-transaction gaming environment, so I don't think it creates too much reason to be concerned.

Creative Assembly and 343 Industries have created a multiplayer suite that offers variety and depth, new metagame and strategy potential, and a strong focus on player creativity and individuality. I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with Halo Wars 2's multiplayer and I have a feeling it will be seeing a lot more playtime on my console in the years to come.

3.5/5

gow3isben

If it gets 60+ reviews probably will end up 79/80 which isn't bad. However, I get the feeling no one will buy this game.

SpartanN92

Banned
So far almost every 6-7 score rates it that way because they want to compare it to StarCraft 2... that seems a poor way of rating a game.

Are they going to rate the next FPS Halo game against Counter Strike now?

Games Journalism :p

TheXbox

Same score and similar sentiments from the HW1 review. Can't speak for HW2 but I know the first game ultimately proved to have a high skill ceiling and considerable depth in the upper ranks. HW isn't as robust as most PC RTS games but I think it's carved out its own niche.

Yeah, similar. GameSpot gave the first one 6.5 compared to 6 for Halo Wars 2. But IGN gave the first one an 8.4. Halo Wars 2 seems poised for a 7 or 7.5 from them based on the reviewer's comments (he said an 8 would be generous when someone predicted that score).

That said, an 81 MC is solid and the game will appeal to fans of the genre I suspect.

Tecnniqe

Banned
So far almost every 6-7 score rates it that way because they want to compare it to StarCraft 2... that seems a poor way of rating a game.

Are they going to rate the next FPS Halo game against Counter Strike now?

Games Journalism :p
I see why they do it, it's one of the few PC RTS still alive, but it's also a different type of RTS if you ask me.

That's not to say Halo Wars can't become something like StarCraft, but it won't if it have to support controllers.

My biggest question is how the PC reviews will hold up to the X1 reviews as I have a feeling it'll be easier to play on PC but the PC players might also be looking for more depth. That's not to say there isn't any depth in 2, but if you compared it to StarCraft there are some shortcomings for those looking for the micro and "min-max" type of gameplay.

High end 1v1 on PC will be interesting to see tho, as we might be completely off the mark and there is a lot of hidden high end play depth here.

Top Bottom