• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S3 |OT| Great Minds Don't Always Think Alike - Tuesdays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.
S2 spoiler anachronisms
Joe wearing suit with rolled up sleeves at an oil company in Texas in the 1980s. Mutiny and Gordon inventing EVERYTHING (viruses and anti-virus software, chatrooms, Habitat, first person online shooters, etc). The cheesy prescience of everyone knowing the NES was going to be a huge hit. But the best one was "ring up all of our dial-up subscribers and tell them to log-off." How?

Well,

The concept of multiple people coming to the same ideas isn't particularly unusual. The silicon valley is filled with stories of companies rushing to market with similar ideas. That Gordon invented a virus is not that novel, he's really smart but given the melting pot of technology at the time it wasn't like nobody else could come to the same conclusion. If anything what is so charming about the show is how they hit on that very same melting pot of a dozen new ideas all sort of hitting the world at the same time.

And not sure if you lived through the era but it was very common for people to have multiple telephone lines. Your billing and dialing number weren't necessarily the same thing, and if you were a kid there was often a second line just because the parents got so annoyed at kids using one line so often (first for friends, then as this era dawned, for dialup).

KodaRuss

I missed the OT earlier I guess. Maybe a little early for it?

Anyway, 2-hour season premier is awesome. This is starting at the perfect time right after The Night Of is going to end. Really excited one and it one of my wife's favorites.

TheOddOne

Two back to back episode season premiere today:
Season 3: episode 1 "Valley of the Heart's Delight"

In the third-season premiere, Donna and Cameron explore their options to expand beyond chat. Meanwhile, Gordon settles in at Mutiny; and Joe launches his latest product.
Season 3: episode 2 "One Way or Another"

While Cameron and Donna struggle to find venture capital, Joe hires a key coder, leaving the rest of the team at a loss.
- Promo for this week's episode.

Well,

The concept of multiple people coming to the same ideas isn't particularly unusual. The silicon valley is filled with stories of companies rushing to market with similar ideas. That Gordon invented a virus is not that novel, he's really smart but given the melting pot of technology at the time it wasn't like nobody else could come to the same conclusion. If anything what is so charming about the show is how they hit on that very same melting pot of a dozen new ideas all sort of hitting the world at the same time.

And not sure if you lived through the era but it was very common for people to have multiple telephone lines. Your billing and dialing number weren't necessarily the same thing, and if you were a kid there was often a second line just because the parents got so annoyed at kids using one line so often (first for friends, then as this era dawned, for dialup).

if you say so.
i was a teen in the 80's and never came across anyone with two phone lines at home, hence why I found that hilarious

So glad this is back! I also grew up in the 80's and remember second lines in people's homes, either dedicated for faxes or dial up. It is so cool to see the genesis of all this tech but it is funny that it is all concentrated at Mutiny. In episode one, did someone make a reference to
the Amiga
? If so, awesome and radical!

if you say so.
i was a teen in the 80's and never came across anyone with two phone lines at home, hence why I found that hilarious
We had two at home specifically for the internet.

First episode was solid but not great. Not sure I really like Joe's angle this season, and it took too long for him to show up.

jerry113

Banned
the first episode is out, so are they airing it again and a second tonight or two new ones?

Airing it again followed by the 2nd hour. I don't think we're quite at that point yet where a network could confidently air something solely online lol.

KingKong

Airing it again followed by the 2nd hour. I don't think we're quite at that point yet where a network could confidently air something solely online lol.

oh I didn't realize it only aired online

I can see why they're doing two episodes though, this first one doesn't really feel like a premiere. Lee Pace was looking like an offbrand Jon Hamm at the end there

This episode is making me nostalgic for a decade I never experienced.

I get crazy amounts of nostalgia watching it. I remember actually mailing cash to some local dial up BBS to be a member so I could play this text D&D adventure, just like Mutiny. It was just surreal, at the time, to be able to text chat with people over your computer. This was around 1984 for me and my radio Shack TRS-80 color computer!

RS4-

Solid second ep too! What's up with the end, Gordon's notebook and such. I didn't catch what he had written. I'm guessing they're just instances where he had...well, not a nervous breakdown. Trying to think of the word.

Solid second ep too! What's up with the end, Gordon's notebook and such. I didn't catch what he had written. I'm guessing they're just instances where he had...well, not a nervous breakdown. Trying to think of the word.
Was he hallucinating? I think he was counting them.

Sober

Scale of 1 to 10. He wrote a 6.

Good episodes. Even though I love Lee Pace, the show grinds to a halt every time Joe is on screen. I wish his character could be written out of the show.

Good episodes. Even though I love Lee Pace, the show grinds to a halt every time Joe is on screen. I wish his character could be written out of the show.
Agreed, though I want him more integrated with the other main characters. I don't like him as the villain, I like him bouncing off of Cam and Gordon with them all working towards a shared goal.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Season 1:

Episode 1: 1.19 million
Episode 2: 970K
Episode 3: 765K
Episode 4: 844K
Episode 5: 575K
Episode 6: 717K
Episode 7: ??
Episode 8: 627K
Episode 9: 549K
Episode 10: 574K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 659K
Episode 2: 494K
Episode 3: 452K
Episode 4: 451K
Episode 5: 543K
Episode 6: 558K
Episode 7: 499K
Episode 8: 497K
Episode 9: 588K
Episode 10: 485K

Season 3:

Episodes 1 & 2: 339K

(the sneak preview of the first episode of the season 3 premiere that AMC tried to trick Fear the Walking Dead fans into watching on Sunday netted 367K viewers)

KodaRuss

Why did they move the show off Sundays, is Fear the Walking Dead doing really well? I think that is a big reason we are seeing the drop off. I will likely never be able to watch a show during its slotted time during the week. Watching last nights episode hopefully tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom