• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands on the dashboard. PS4 30fps

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This doesn't make much sense.

Its fairly simple to me.

Call of Duty Black ops 2(a 60fps game) could run at 30fps with potentially better graphics, but at its base, its already at 60fps game by design and thus the gains are fairly small.

Conversely, Halo 3 on 360(a 30fps game) could never run at 60fps because the amount of polygons and objects in the environment, including the sheer amount and scale of large areas would make it impossible to ship as the same game, regardless of how big the graphics cuts were.

The GPU as well as the CPU and RAM are all taken into account with these sacrifices.

It's too bad games can't be fun at 30 fps and everyone who thinks so needs to turn in their gamer badge. PC gaming truly is the only choice.

It's too bad games can't be fun at 30 fps and everyone who thinks so needs to turn in their gamer badge. PC gaming truly is the only choice.

What's the point of simplifying and misrepresenting his argument? Just to have something to post in this thread?

He straight out says after stating his point in the OP that he's going back to playing his second new game plus in Bloodborne.

vareon

I'm very, very bitter at myself for not being able to play some great 15fps games from PS1 era today just because I'm used to 30+ fps. They remain some of the very best games in existence, so I should be able to play them without being spoiled with today's technology.

That's why don't understand people who proudly claim they can't play 30fps games anymore. Why so proud at not being able to play more games?

nib95

Banned
This doesn't make much sense.

I think what he's trying to say is that the argument about certain console games being better at 60fps is a somewhat reductive one, because unlike with PC gaming, it's not necessarily just a case of turning down a load of graphical settings in order to attain double the frame rate. These games are generally designed from the ground up to take advantage of that target.

Taking his example, Shadow of the Colossus. We don't really know if simply reducing the graphics a bit would have been enough to allow them to hit 60fps. For all we know the massive scale and size of some of the titans and levels, the scale of which are integral to the gameplay and core game design, may have restricted how far the frame rate could be pushed whilst trying to retain some semblance of decent visuals. Bare in mind, graphics are still important in their own right, as it's the visuals that motivate, communicate and influence our inputs in the first place.

Inuhanyou

I think what he's trying to say is that the argument about certain console games being better at 60fps is a somewhat reductive one, because unlike with PC gaming, it's not necessarily just a case of turning down a load of graphical settings in order to attain double the frame rate. These games are generally designed from the ground up to take advantage of that target.

Taking his example, Shadow of the Colossus. We don't really know if simply reducing the graphics a bit would have been enough to allow them to hit 60fps. For all we know the massive scale and size of some of the titans and levels, the scale of which are integral to the gameplay and core game design, may have restricted how far the frame rate could be pushed whilst trying to retain some semblance of decent visuals. Bare in mind, graphics are still important in their own right, as it's the visuals that motivate, communicate and influence our inputs in the first place.

As simply as i can:

GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas would not have been possible on PS2 at 60fps. Period.

PS2 was obviously the lead platform, but from the looks of the graphics even then, they could not have squeezed any more from the visuals to go above the barely 30fps target Rockstar had even then.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's more the case that the 30fps console exclusives usually have at least one recent game in the same genre that's just as good and runs at a full 60+fps. AAA gaming lacks genre diversity in general, and the more innovative indies usually run at 60 or have a PC port.

Inuhanyou

It's more the case that the 30fps console exclusives usually have at least one recent game in the same genre that's just as good and runs at a full 60+fps. AAA gaming lacks genre diversity in general, and the more innovative indies usually run at 60 or have a PC port.

I don't think that's true at all.

farmerboy

Locked frame rates and v sync are way more important than overall framerate. In my opinion.

Fluctuations in frames and tearing are a lot harder to put up with than a constant 30 fps.

What's the point of simplifying and misrepresenting his argument? Just to have something to post in this thread?

He straight out says after stating his point in the OP that he's going back to playing his second new game plus in Bloodborne.

It's not necessarily a response to OP, even though he said about 30 fps "it's crap."

I just don't care about fps as long as it's locked and the game is fun.

Oppo

indies can't typically afford to push the state of the art in 3D realtime rendering so this is essentially a moot point as it's not attempted.

I work on indie stuff too, but trust me, no one in this space is trying to compete with Naughty Dog on a graphical level, it requires a firehose of cash and nigh-unpoachable programming talent

Alo0oy

Banned
I understand this, but it's crazy how the PS2/GC/Xbox/DC era was one of pretty much constant 60fps games that also pushed visuals hard (for their time), and the gens after that have been very, very lopsided on 30fps experiences.

What was so different about that era of 3D consoles that got pretty much all games silky-smooth 60 that isn't being seen today? It has to be about more than just design decisions.

You're under the wrong impression that most games right now aren't 60fps.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't think that's true at all.
Browsing the meta review sites make me think it's mostly true, because most of the top 100 franchises are either 60fps to begin with, or have a 60fps PC port or a 60fps remake. It's actually kind of fascinating to see how many 60fps games end up high on those lists.

Nobody is saying that at all. Is it so difficult to believe that some people would just much prefer to have a higher framerate and don't like 30fps very much?

Errrr did you read the OP?

That's who I was replying to no one else.

Of course a 60fps framerate for every single game released would be the ideal scenario but OP makes it out like people playing anything at 30 fps are lepers.

Errrr did you read the OP?

That's who I was replying to no one else.

Of course a 60fps framerate for every single game released would be the ideal scenario but OP makes it out like people playing anything at 30 fps are lepers.

I don't really see that but fair enough since the OP is very much open to interpretation. I don't think he means to say people who don't mind 30fps are idiots though.

omonimo

Banned
Wasn't it the same on ps360? And console were even more expensive. I mean a 60 fps console at 399 bucks will never happens. Blame the customers taste. They not want to spend more for a better console. It's the market.

Got to say frame rate isn't a massive deal breaker to me - as long as it's consistant I can absolutely adjust to and happily play 30fps games

60 fps is nice but a lot of games hit that even on console

Top Bottom