• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands on the dashboard. PS4 30fps

bud

yesterday was the first time i played a 30fps game since mgsv, which i've been playing for over a month.

i played driveclub.

my heart was broken.

it's very difficult to go back to 30fps games.

Malcolm9

30fps games as long as they don't drop below that if possible. 60fps is ideal but I'm quite happy for the developers to choose what they think is best.

If you want higher framerates then you need a PC, quite obvious really.

Hoje0308

Banned
No GAF. Not drunk. Just amused at stutter in bloodborne after a time out.

Hence the thread and why we moan when a few extra quid over 4 years is peanuts.

We'd still be playing games at 30 fps if the consoles cost another $100. Maybe fewer dips into the 20s. Maybe.

Kinthalis

Banned
Agreed PC is where performance lies.... But mass market appeal lies with the console market.

Really? This is an actual thing for you?

When you go out to a movie, do you ask yourself: "does this movie I'm going to watch appeal to the average Joe, 'cause if it don't then I ain't watching it!"

When you go out to dinnner: "I hope the mass market appeal of this restaurant is throught he roof!" Your SO: "I'd rather the french food here is good" you: "Wait, what? FRENCH FOOD? That's not what the mass market eats!! I need me some burgers and dogs baby!"

When you watch TV: "Let me check the nealson ratings on this TV show I find fiscinating... oh no, only a few million viewers, let me go watch American Idol instead".

When you listen to music: "MAN, I hate me some Beiber, but you can't argue with the masses!".

Hoje0308

Banned
OP isn't drunk. It was all a ruse to get attention.

8hRPtbc.gif

Hi folks. Am booting up the PS4 after a month or 3 off line and..... Honestly 30fps is gank.

Love bloodborne and on NG+2 but after months off games and streaming TV with the better half.... 30fps is pants.

Totally adore the fact that consoles are sub £300 but HONESTLY. With such a low price bracket.... Were lucky to play such great titles at 30fps. Just.

But it's crap. Uncharted 4 30 fps confirmed. Don't give me life cycle improvement crap. Devs are pushing to the max.

It's a sad lament when tech exists which can demolish our expectations but will cost £100 more over 5 years yet we clamour for sub £300 pound consoles cos fuck you the man.

Makes me wonder over the steam machine... Yet more tosh or a shining beacon....

Oh well back to NG+2 and with luck the better half will have another wine.

X

Comments welcome....

Would the public destroy a PC console?

Would you buy one if supported by devs?

someday, i'll be this cool... someday...

Yeah dude you really can't expect these consoles to compete with PC... My friend just bought an Xbox One for $350 with 2 new games on it.

But if you really want a 60fps experience, try Call of Duty or Halo 5 this year. They are looking pretty nice and seem to be running well from the let's plays thus far

yesterday was the first time i played a 30fps game since mgsv, which i've been playing for over a month.

i played driveclub.

my heart was broken.

it's very difficult to go back to 30fps games.

30 fps in driveclub really bothers me. I know that they still sample user input at 60 fps but I still can't get used to that frame rate at high speeds.

Yudoken

Oh really?

Well, you need at least a GTX 980 to play The Witcher 3 at max settings. That's your entire budget blown there.

We'll, let's see what's wrong with this comment.
First at all, a 980 is a bad choice.
A 970 basically delivers the same performance for a much lower price (at least in europe).
And a 970 is still highend, you don't really think that a console comes anything near that card, are you?
AMD cards especially have great price/performance rates and even an i5 2500k is not bottlenecking a pc.
People who go to pc gaming get a better running and looking game than console (unless they intentionally port the last gen version of the game (Pro evo 16, Dead or alive 5) or did not put similar effort to the pc version than the console version (Batman AK but it looks like it's going to be fixed soon).
But something like that happens rare.
Also, pc gaming is about choice.
If you want to run 60 you can't always max out everthing but that's not the point.
Lowering settings to get the resolution and framerate you desire even on ok pc's is possible.
It still looks better than on console.
I know people with low budget rigs and they still play most of their games with 1080p 60.
There are good sites like like on reddit which have great guides which parts to get and where to look for good priced parts.
I personally was not afraid getting almost everything second hand (in good shape) and saved a lot of money over the years.

The frame pacing really annoys me. I can't even watch Youtube videos of that game anymore and that's coming from a guy who platinumed it.

We'll, let's see what's wrong with this comment.
First at all, a 980 is a bad choice.
A 970 basically delivers the same performance for a much lower price (at least in europe).
And a 970 is still highend, you don't really think that a console comes anything near that card, are you?
AMD cards especially have great price/performance rates and even an i5 2500k is not bottlenecking a pc.
People who go to pc gaming get a better running and looking game than console (unless they intentionally port the last gen version of the game (Pro evo 16, Dead or alive 5) or did not put similar effort to the pc version than the console version (Batman AK but it looks like it's going to be fixed soon).
But something like that happens rare.
Also, pc gaming is about choice.
If you want to run 60 you can't always max out everthing but that's not the point.
Lowering settings to get the resolution and framerate you desire even on ok pc's is possible.
It still looks better than on console.
I know people with low budget rigs and they still play most of their games with 1080p 60.
There are good sites like like on reddit which have great guides which parts to get and where to look for good priced parts.
I personally was not afraid getting almost everything second hand (in good shape) and saved a lot of money over the years.

That's all very nice but that doesn't change The Witcher 3 needing a 980 to play at 1080/60 on Ultra.

I got no problem with 30 FPS on consoles and I own a pretty high-end PC.

*shrugs* I generally don't mind and leave it up to developer intentions so long as the FPS is stable.

Really? This is an actual thing for you?

When you go out to a movie, do you ask yourself: "does this movie I'm going to watch appeal to the average Joe, 'cause if it don't then I ain't watching it!"

When you go out to dinnner: "I hope the mass market appeal of this restaurant is throught he roof!" Your SO: "I'd rather the french food here is good" you: "Wait, what? FRENCH FOOD? That's not what the mass market eats!! I need me some burgers and dogs baby!"

When you watch TV: "Let me check the nealson ratings on this TV show I find fiscinating... oh no, only a few million viewers, let me go watch American Idol instead".

When you listen to music: "MAN, I hate me some Beiber, but you can't argue with the masses!".

This sounds like the ravings of a madman.

LilJoka

That's all very nice but that doesn't change The Witcher 3 needing a 980 to play at 1080/60 on Ultra.

No it doesn't, but only a fool would do that. If you look at the nvidia comparison most of the ultra settings have inconceivable differences which are even harder to spot in motion.

It's harder to market high framerates than flashy visuals. It's a design decision like everything else.

Solid, 33.3ms frametime is playable as fuck, even on some PC games.
I understand this, but it's crazy how the PS2/GC/Xbox/DC era was one of pretty much constant 60fps games that also pushed visuals hard (for their time), and the gens after that have been very, very lopsided on 30fps experiences.

What was so different about that era of 3D consoles that got pretty much all games silky-smooth 60 that isn't being seen today? It has to be about more than just design decisions.

DeaviL

Banned
Yep, the issue was patched mid beta. The game never drops now, even with 50+ adds and tons of particles in a single room in the Black Spindle challenge.

Eeeeh, i had a drop once.
Ain't complaining though, once isn't bad.

It was a defense mission and enemies were dying so fast that there was literally a new dropship every 10 seconds.

virtualS

Good question OP, I think.

This generation of consoles has seen two things happen:

1. Sony and Microsoft refused to lose money subsidising cutting edge hardware that melt in closed entertainment centres everywhere.

2. Gamers will only buy in at say $399 when they're happy to spend double that on a mobile goddamn phone.

Considering the above, the PS4 (in particular) is miraculous.

Manu

I understand this, but it's crazy how the PS2/GC/Xbox/DC era was one of pretty much constant 60fps games that also pushed visuals hard (for their time), and the gens after that have been very, very lopsided on 30fps experiences.

What was so different about that era of 3D consoles that got pretty much all games silky-smooth 60 that isn't being seen today? It has to be about more than just design decisions.

I might be going crazy, but I remember lots of PS1 games being 30 fps. Currently replaying Mega Man Legends and it's 30 fps during the game, 60 on menus.

I have no idea what the hell the OP is about, but I approach it like this:

- First party games (Sony, Nintendo) I obviously get on the console
- Third party games that use a unique or cool feature of a console (Gamepad, for example), I buy on that console
- Third party games that have trash PC ports (e.g., Arkham Knight), I buy on consoles
- Everything else I buy on PC. That way I don't have to worry about graphics or framerates.

If 30fps, even for exclusives, bothers you, then... don't play them. Nobody is forcing you to.

texore

Good question OP, I think.

This generation of consoles has seen two things happen:

1. Sony and Microsoft refused to lose money subsidising cutting edge hardware that melt in closed entertainment centres everywhere.

2. Gamers will only buy in at say $399 when they're happy to spend double that on a mobile goddamn phone.

Considering the above, the PS4 (in particular) is miraculous.
Even if Sony and Microsoft went with cutting edge hardware we would still see 30fps games. More powerful hardware will just encourage developers to boost the graphical effects. Graphics first then performance seems the mentality for many developers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You also have to take how fast the market is moving now with visual tech compared to back then. Those consoles were around in a stagnant PC market visually, so they were able to have the "best of both worlds" since they were the measure of visuals.

Now the graphics market is moving at such a high rate, developers have to make decisions to the frame-rate versus visuals to "keep up with the Jone's".

texore

I might be going crazy, but I remember lots of PS1 games being 30 fps. Currently replaying Mega Man Legends and it's 30 fps during the game, 60 on menus.
Shadow of the Colossus ran at a constant sub-20fps.

Edit: I guess I was a little off, but the game ran at 20fps often, especially during boss battles. I tried playing again and it was rough.

Gold_Loot

Huh.

I'm completely enjoying my 60fps games like Forza 6, MGS V, Warframe and others, while also enjoying my 30fps games like DriveClub and Horizon and Destiny and GTA V and Bloodborne and plenty of others. Its a mix.

Wait, whats the problem again?
I think the problem is , some people get way too hung up on numbers when most of them will make the smallest of differences.

Majority of people don't give the slightest of shits if a strong pc can render a few more blades of grass or has a shadow that's slightly sharper 60 feet away.

It's pretty damn juvenile and I'm glad I'm grown out of that crap.

Top Bottom