• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Handy reference chart for your Nicolas Cage film needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Add me to the 8mm fan list.

I was hiding out from the family back my teen years, and went to it by myself one night in a budget theater. I figured I'd pick the shittiest looking movie and just sit in the back and play Gameboy while hiding from my douchebag stepfather at the time.

Ended up not turning on the Gameboy and actually loved it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
bengraven said:
If 8mm was made today, it would be called "MP4".
You never know:

UIZiol.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Nicholas cage is the greatest human being of our era. This is not debatable.

dyls

Moonstruck is way too low on the brilliant scale. Should be tucked just under Raising Arizona. I do approve of Wild at Heart being that high, although I'm sure others would disagree.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Blader5489 said:
Nicholas Cage is the worst actor on the planet. I'd rather watch a movie with Channing Tatum.

I'd half agree. He's the worst actor on the planet, however, his films are usually entertaining. Take Con-Air, one of the worst movies ever made. Terrible script, terrible acting, topped by Cage's doing the worst film accent ever.

I'd never turn down a chance to watch Con Air again.

HiResDes

Timber said:
Leaving Las Vegas is probably the worst movie ever made.

Unfathomable how a person can think Adaptation is less serious than Wild at Heart and Raising Arizona.

Nic Cage chart makers need to step up their game. This is important stuff.

WHAT? You're crazy man.I think it's mostly right.

Cage movies:

1. Wild At Heart
2. Adaptation
3. Raising Arizona
4. Leaving Las Vegas
5. 8MM? (A few movies could go here)

Aselith

Solo said:
Knowing rocks. Chart sucks.

That's what I was gonna say. Alex Proyas doesn't make bad movies.

polyh3dron said:
Bangkok Dangerous is not "Serious" and Honeymoon in Vegas was fucking good.

It's not about the style of movie. It's about the style of Nic Cage. If he's acting batshit, it's a crazy movie. If he's acting like a badass/ real person, it's a serious movie. Because this is the case though many of those movies should be moved left including all National Treasures and Ghost Rider.

WinFonda said:
There's something about Nic Cage. Even a bunch of his shit movies have a habit of being enjoyable.

I said it in the Nic Cage has gone to shit thread. Nic is great because he picks interesting movies without questioning "should I work with this director?" He's not interested in protecting some flawless legacy but just making cool shit on the screen. While this doesn't always work out in terms of quality, it does in terms of entertainment. That's why I think he's one of the greatest actors currently working. He goes into any role with both feet and has no problems at all hamming it up for off the wall but cool movies. He never gives you the impression EVER that he's slumming it or not committed to a role. He has the widest range of any actor I can think of and also he's consistent as shit about at least doing his part justice even if everything else is garbage.

Dead Man

Mostly about right. I would argue te positions of a few, and the interpretations of serious and crazy with a lot, but on the whole not too bad.

XiaNaphryz said:
Nicolas Cage losing his shit montage

1:20 - 1:25, purest example of the genius!
Thanks for the link. There's a very, ehm, interesting interview with Nicolas Cage in the description.

NC: The Wicker Man was more of a kind of black comedy of sorts, dealing with Neil Labute’s exploration of the relationships between men and women. It was just more of an extreme absurdist comedy dealing with that as opposed to any real kind of witchcraft if you will.

SJ: Is that why you put on a bear suit and beat up women?

NC: [Laughs] Yeah, clearly you don’t wear a bear suit and do something that off the wall and not know it’s ridiculous.

SJ: Have you seen the College Humor clip about your agent?

NC: No, that one I haven’t seen.

SJ: Would we laugh if we saw the real scripts that passed your desk?

NC: You know, the truth is I’m very selective about what I do. Even now, if you look at the characters I’m playing, I’m trying to cultivate a body of work that celebrates people like Christopher Lee or Vincent Price. I’m wanting to go into a kind of horror and supernatural world with the acting because it gives me something more abstract to do. I haven’t seen that particular site that you’re talking about but I don’t think you would laugh. The reality is you’ll see pretty much an eclectic mix of characters but I don’t think anything that extreme in terms of [comedy]. Well, I haven’t seen the site so I can’t really comment on it.
http://www.screenjunkies.com/movies/movie-news/awesome-interview-nicolas-cage/

HiResDes

Tristam said:
Lord of War should be higher on the quality axis. It was excellent.
It was pretty good, but here's the big detractor: Watch Blow, then the next day come and watch Lord of War...It seems almost like they're the same movie just re-skinned. And no I'm not just talking about vague plot details, like even specific character trait stuff. Seriously compare the two.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ShineALight said:
Peggy Sue Got Married and Valley Girl in the "rubbish" spectrum but WTC, Face-Off and Con-Air in the "brilliant"?
Trading Faces would be a great reality tv show. As well as a terrible one.

Dead Man

HiResDes said:
It was pretty good, but here's the big detractor: Watch Blow, then the next day come and watch Lord of War...It seems almost like they're the same movie just re-skinned. And no I'm not just talking about vague plot details, like even specific character trait stuff. Seriously compare the two.
Meh, both based on the rise and fall of a trafficker in illegal goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom