• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Birthday, Dreamcast!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
VanMardigan said:
Shenmue alone was worth the price of admission. What an experience. I would boot up that game long after I finished it just to soak in the atmosphere. It sounds weird, but the game really made me feel like I was in the environment, unlike any other game I've played. I literally felt like I was in Shenmue's world, with all the characters and their daily routines, etc.
That's what I had hoped the game would deliver, but in the end, I was disappointed with it. That was one game that I just flat out overhyped and it ruined the experience for me. I remember having a CDR full of Shenmue videos and everything. I was totally obessed with it for the longest time, but when I finally played it, the game failed to deliver what I wanted.

In particular, I stupidly assumed that the level of detail present in the first house of the game would be seen throughout the game. I also expected a city sized world. The fact that the game is broken up into so many tiny loading zones really killed the experience of existing within the world. I should have known that creating such a detailed environment and streaming all of that data would have been impossible on Dreamcast hardware, but I guess my faith was misplaced.

I still thought it was a good game (Shenmue II being even better), but I enjoyed it for different reasons than expected. It's just such a shame that the game was plagued by so many load screens (especially SMII). It was just too much.

Zapages

awesome system... Too many great memories.

I still am mad at myself that I was about to buy two copies of Record of Lodoss War for the Dreamcast at local EB for about 20 bucks each a few years back(Brand new and sealed). But I did not have enough money. It was gone by the end of the week. :(

I am still glad that I own Marvel vs Capcom 2. :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
dark10x said:
That's what I had hoped the game would deliver, but in the end, I was disappointed with it. That was one game that I just flat out overhyped and it ruined the experience for me. I remember having a CDR full of Shenmue videos and everything.

I guess it was a good thing then that I'd barely heard of the game when I bought it. I was FLOORED at the graphics and the amount of interaction. At how folks went about their business, and at the music. Oh man the music. To this day, I get very emotional wandering through town and listening to the music. For sure I wish there was more to do, but what's there created a mood for me. I really WISH I could be there, walking around, talking to these characters, buying items from the merchants, food from the restaurants, training in the dojo, hanging out with Tom, playing in the arcade, etc. Hell, even the job with the forklifts didn't seem all that bad.

Dave Long

Banned
This thread desperately needs pix. All of these are games I own personally so if anyone wants to add more pix, please do so in later posts. If you've never played it, just ask what it is!

armada4.jpg
2.jpg

4.jpg
chuchu3.jpg

cannonspike-2a.jpg

craz7.jpg
2.jpg

doa3.jpg
ferrari4.jpg

2.jpg
gauntlet3.jpg

8.jpg
grandia_5.jpg

3.jpg
rhydro3.jpg

jetgrind_2.jpg
3.jpg

maken7.jpg
5.jpg

GONNA TAKE YOU FOR A RIIIIIDE!
mvc3.jpg
metro2.jpg

2.jpg
4.jpg

power2.jpg
4.jpg

rayman4.jpg
2.jpg

re5.jpg
revolt5.jpg

samba2.jpg
nfl3.jpg

shenmue5.jpg
skies_2.jpg

sonic4.jpg
soulcal.jpg

space4.jpg
alpha2.jpg

bez4.jpg
tech2.jpg

lemans2.jpg
txr3.jpg

toy4.jpg
2.jpg

ufc3.jpg
vf35.jpg

tennis2.jpg
vo5.jpg

bg14_640w.jpg

I could go on for quite awhile, but that's a start. :)

Birbo

dark10x said:
I actually loaded (Sonic Adventure) up last night and played for a while. Yeah, I knew it was buggy and unpolished feeling back then, but holy crap, the game is beyond dated by todays standards. I still had some fun, I suppose, but the game is a mess.

I didn't realize how badly this game had aged until I fired it up over the weekend. Was trying to get my 5 year old jazzed about a "new" Sonic game, but he didn't dig it for too long. I can see why.

dark10x said:
Sonic Adventure 2, on the other hand, still feels incredible (also played it again). The visuals, while simple, are beautifully designed within the limits of the DC hardware while sporting a smooth framerate (60 fps unlike the ~30 fps with plenty of slowdown of SA1). The presenation, controls, and level design (for Sonic/Shadow stages) is so much better. It's main flaw remains the inclusion of less than enjoyable game types into the main story (Knuckles/Rouge). The core Sonic gameplay is the best we've ever had in 3D.

I bought this on a whim a year or so ago at EB for like $2 when they were getting rid of all their old stuff. Only put like 5 minutes into it. Maybe I should give it a proper play through. The video someone posted earlier with all the different gameplay clips looked pretty good.

VanMardigan said:
I remember I went down to TRU in Chicago on Ps2's launch day and was so pissed that I couldn't find a Ps2 (sold out), that I used the money to buy Majora's Mask for N64 and a Dreamcast instead. Best. Decision. Ever.

I went to design school right across the street from there! Bought my copy of Worms there on a whim for $10. Little did I know how awesome the game was.

Thanks to this thread and the Bombcast, I'm really on a Dreamcast high right now. Wishing I never got rid of my copy of Shenmue. Thinking of tracking a copy down. Still have my sealed copy of Shenmue 2 for Xbox sitting in my backlog too!

Nakasan

Winning the Sonic Speed Challenge sponsored by Reebok.

Stayed up alllllllllllllll night to make sure "marco" didn't improve his time by 0.07 seconds. When he didn't..... oh the joy. Oh. The. Joy.

dacuk

The first time I played Ikaruga with my DC connected to a VGA monitor convinced me that Dreamcast demise was one of the most tragic errors in Gaming history (next to 2600's E.T. and N64 without a CD drive)

An example of a cable like it (not the one I use; mute it if you want)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrJXGxEF8T0

dark10x

One thing that I've noticed during a lot of the retrospectives on Dreamcast (such as the 1up podcast, the stuff at Giant Bomb, and forum posts) is that Rez is often lumped into the pile of "things Sega did that were awesome during the DC era". Yet, Rez was released well after the DC was dead (2002) and never even hit the DC in the US at all. Furthermore, the PS2 version ran at double the framerate and was released at exactly the same time. People slam the post-DC Sega releases, but in reality, there were plenty of great Sega games released just after the DC (including the trio of Smilebit XBOX games, VF4, and Rez).

I bought this on a whim a year or so ago at EB for like $2 when they were getting rid of all their old stuff. Only put like 5 minutes into it. Maybe I should give it a proper play through. The video someone posted earlier with all the different gameplay clips looked pretty good.
You should give it another shot as it's pretty fun. Be warned, however, that the Knuckles/Rouge gameplay segments integrated into the story are quite horrible. If you can get past them, however, there is some really enjoyable gameplay in there.

HAOHMARU

Playing Crazy Taxi with my roomates to see who could get the highest score. Also playing Soul Calibur and DOA2 until the wee hours of the morning.

Sonic Adventure
Crazy Taxi
Shenmue
Shenmue II
Soul Calibur (best arcade to home port in history!)

So many others...

Dave Long

Banned
Rez was November 2001 and was most definitely being developed for Dreamcast only before the news hit that they were calling it off. If you're not going to count that in the Dreamcast era, then you should take Shenmue II and Headhunter out of there too.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Whatever happened to Yu Suzuki? The Interwebs say he left Sega to form his own company called AM+ but I can't find anything on what AM+ is doing, let alone any other information about the company.

dark10x

Dave Long said:
Rez was November 2001 and was most definitely being developed for Dreamcast only before the news hit that they were calling it off. If you're not going to count that in the Dreamcast era, then you should take Shenmue II and Headhunter out of there too.
It was released for PS2 and Dreamcast in Japan on November 21st 2001. It was then released only on PS2 in NA in 2002 (I remember as I bought it day 1). Even looking at November 21st, that was still pretty much post-DC era. I suppose it kind of came right at the tail end of DC support and the beginning of multi-console support. Regardless, the PS2 version was superior.

Foil

It's a shame the system died so early. There were a good amount of games that were either canned or moved to other platforms. Half-Life, System Shock 2, Soul Reaver 2, House Of The Dead 3, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gunvalkyrie, Buffy, Max Payne, etc.

dark10x said:
People slam the post-DC Sega releases, but in reality, there were plenty of great Sega games released just after the DC (including the trio of Smilebit XBOX games, VF4, and Rez).

They did make a decent amount of quality games after the Dreamcast died. Lots of the Xbox exclusives were really good, Orta, JSRF, Gunvalkyrie, Crazy Taxi 3, etc. Some of the other games like VF4, Shinobi, Outrun, and Super Monkey Ball were great as well. Give them credit for F-Zero GX as well.

Danthrax said:
Whatever happened to Yu Suzuki? The Interwebs say he left Sega to form his own company called AM+ but I can't find anything on what AM+ is doing, let alone any other information about the company.

The rumors were not true.

Tsubaki

dark10x said:
Even looking at November 21st, that was still pretty much post-DC era.

When are you defining "DC Era"? You mean prior to when Sega went boom in Jan 01?

Shouldn't the entirety of the Dreamcast library be evaluated when discussing the DC?

After Sega's historical announcement came some pretty high profile games including:

Sakura Taisen 3 (March 01)
Sega Gaga (March 01)
Culdcept II (July 01)
Rez (November 01)
Space Channel 5 Part 2 (February 14 <3 02)
Sakura Taisen 4 (March 02)
Ikaruga (September 02)
Border Down (September 03)
Under Defeat (March 06)

These games are nothing to sneeze at and actually... encompass my top 3 Dreamcast games (Sakura 3, Culdcept II and SC5pt2).

For the record, Rez PS2 has trance-vibrator and 60fps. Rez DC has (some have said..) better audio and VGA-support.

Alphahawk

I remember renting Sonic Adventure from Hollywood Video about two months before it was released via a special promotion. Funny thing is they'd rent you the system but not a VMU, so you baisicly had to restart from the beginning every time you played, still I got pretty far in the game, and probobly beat a little more than half of Sonic's story. Boy was that machine hot when I was done with it.

Another cool memory I have of DC was playing Phantasy Star Online with the dudes from the Cloudchaser forums, it was a pretty big forum so you could just pop into Titania 14 any time of day and you'd have friends willing to quest with you. We were playing on a primitive 56k connection, but it never really fealt slow or anything like that, I guess it's just because we never knew better things existed.

Also Crazy Taxi was a pretty big treat back in the day. Although it was probobly the most bare bones game I owned (seriously their were 2 courses and no career mode whatsoever) but I still got a lot of play time out of it.

One thing that people probobly forget is that the DC was notoriously bad at reading discs, I remember having to take my copy of ODCM back to the bookstore more than once because out of the box it wouldn't read the discs...

Gagaman

Tsubaki said:
Did somebody say Dreamcast?

snip
Ooh, very nice. Quite a few games I need to eventually bite the bullet and blow the money on like Gigawing 2, Napple Tale, Under Defeat amongst others. Darn, you even have Cleopatra Fortune! Is the DC version much different from the arcade one (played it on one of the PS2 Taito collections): better graphics etc, or is it a direct port?

Dave Long said:
This thread desperately needs pix. All of these are games I own personally so if anyone wants to add more pix, please do so in later posts. If you've never played it, just ask what it is!

I posted a video but most people probably ignored it (that one's clearer, the Youtube had all sorts of artifacting problems in HQ mode).

Gagaman

Sega1991 said:
I posted a video but most people probably ignored it (that one's clearer, the Youtube had all sorts of artifacting problems in HQ mode).
I saw it. Impressive how that's all emulated off a PC too, shows how good the emulators for it have got.

I could go ahead and plug the shit out of my Dreamcast youtube channel, but I won't.

Oh hang on, I did. My bad.

Daigoro

i <3 Dreamcast. seriously. one of the finest systems and library's ever.

some highlights for me:

-first time playing Sonic Adventure. The whale crashing through the bridge.

-tons of PSO 1/2

-tons of Quake 3 Arena.

-Bangaio

-Ferarri F355

-Crazy Taxi

-and Under Defeat! such a fantastic game. i love it to bits.

and much more. too much to list, i could go on for awhile here. happy birthday DC!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking hilarious seeing the ad for SOAP in Sonic.

Undubbed

Funny I didn't realize that it was Dreamcast anniversary and just a few days ago I brought my dreamcast after it's one year of hiatus to play Code Veronica for the first time. It's like... it's a sign.........

Gwanatu T

nincompoop said:
Truth hurts, doesn't it

Touche.

GamerGeorge said:
I still, to this day, prefer the Dreamcast's games lineup to the PS2's.

For serious. I own considerably more games for my Dreamcast than I own for any system, much less my PS2 (which no longer exists).

Also, great to see others with Illbleed. That was one of my favorite Dreamcast games and one that I put a considerable amount of time in to with friends. Somehow it's just more enjoyable playing a survival horror game in a dark room with other people, that way when someone screams like a little girl it usually makes everyone else do it :lol

undrtakr900

Mariner said:
Lots of great memories but nothing tops ...

pso-logo.jpg

:D :D :D
My all time best moment was playing with 3 players in DIFFERENT countries, using the universal in-game text-chat that translates your message to different languages. It was awesome:D

Blueblur1

Nakasan said:
Winning the Sonic Speed Challenge sponsored by Reebok.

Stayed up alllllllllllllll night to make sure "marco" didn't improve his time by 0.07 seconds. When he didn't..... oh the joy. Oh. The. Joy.
Dude, I always got my ass kicked on those! Especially with people spindash jumping from on side of Speed Highway to the other side!

I remember staying up one night to see if the Chao Black Market would finally materialize and didn't (happened 4 months later) :(

Tsubaki

Gagaman said:
Ooh, very nice. Quite a few games I need to eventually bite the bullet and blow the money on like Gigawing 2, Napple Tale, Under Defeat amongst others.
Yeah, those three are fun games. Gigawing 2 is completely silly with 4p, but I think that's also part of it's charm. Napple Tale: Kanno music... Maaya voice... and classic platforming. Good stuff. I think Border Down is a overally a better game than Under Defeat, but UD is very charming. The explosions are especially amusing.

Darn, you even have Cleopatra Fortune! Is the DC version much different from the arcade one (played it on one of the PS2 Taito collections): better graphics etc, or is it a direct port?
I wish i could give you a response, but I imagine it's just a direct port. Never tried the arcade game, and only played my copy once. It didn't really make an impression :/

Tsubaki said:
For the record, Rez PS2 has trance-vibrator and 60fps. Rez DC has (some have said..) better audio and VGA-support.

The VGA support alone makes the DC version of Rez leagues ahead of the PS2 version. The Dreamcast is arguably the first console to make the step to HD.

A list of DC games worth a damn IMO

Crazy Taxi
Bangai-Oh
Shenmue 2
Zero Gunner 2
Alien Front Online
Armada
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Border Down
Capcom Vs SNK 2
Chu Chu Rocket
Space Channel 5 Two
D2
Dynamite Cop
Record of Lodoss War
Ecco The Dolphin
Skies of Arcadia
F355 Challenge
Napple Tale
Frame Gride
Fatal Fury: MOTW
Sega Marine/Bass Fishing
Gigawing
Mars Matrix
Grandia 2
Gunbird 2
House of the Dead 2
Confidential Mission
Rush 2046
Hydro Thunder
Ikaruga
Jet Grind Radio
Illbleed
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Last Blade 2
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
MDK2
Project Justice
OutTrigger
Phantasy Star Online v2
Powerstone
Rayman 2
Rez
Samba De Amigo
Seaman
Sonic Adventure 2
Segagaga
Tokyo Xtreme Racer
Soul Calibur
Starlancer
Super Magnetic Neo
Berserk
Tech Romancer
Toy Commander
Typing of the Dead
Twinkle Star Sprites
Vampire Chronicle
Unreal Tournament
Virtua Tennis 2
Virtua Fighter 3TB
Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram
Zombie Revenge
Third Strike
Cosmic Smash
Mr Driller
Metropolis Street Racer

Some games that probably won't ever make my "best-of" list but I like 'em anyway.

Seventh Cross Evolution
Time Stalkers
Blue Stinger
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand
Death Crimson 2/OX
Sonic Adventure 1
Sega GT
Fighting Vipers 2
Cannon Spike
Rippin' Riders
Dead or Alive 2
Demolition Racer: No Exit
Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm
Elemental Gimmick Gear
Evolution 1 & 2
Gauntlet Legends
Coaster Works
Plasma Sword
King of Fighters Dream Match/Evolution
Looney Tunes: Space Racer
Maken X
Psychic Force 2012
Powerstone 2
Shenmue 1
Vanishing Point

Yeah I'm a fan of nearly every DC game ever made. Oh well.

dark10x

That's an awesome list of DC games. I was expecting some crap in there, but really, most of the games listed there really are awesome.

In all honesty, the only game in that top list that I would exclude would be Unreal Tournament (which is a terrible port on the DC). Everything else is solid.

I'm missing some of those games in my collection. I really should go back and hunt down some of them.

The VGA support alone makes the DC version of Rez leagues ahead of the PS2 version. The Dreamcast is arguably the first console to make the step to HD.
Ha ha, leagues ahead? 480p isn't exactly impressive and certainly not HD. If the DC version had been 60 fps, I would declare it superior, but that's NOT the case. 60 fps is more important to a game like Rez than 480p support.

dark10x said:
Ha ha, leagues ahead? 480p isn't exactly impressive and certainly not HD. If the DC version had been 60 fps, I would declare it superior, but that's NOT the case. 60 fps is more important to a game like Rez than 480p support.

Yes, you are right 480p is not HD, and a more accurate comment would be that the DC is the first console to take the first step towards our current HD era. I did hit the submit reply a little too quickly on that one! :)

Regardless, 480p may not impressive now, but for a console back then it was like the dawning of a new age... I remember buying games for the DC just to bask in the technicolor glow of pure, uncut, VGA clarity, and progressive visuals godliness.

Yeah 60fps would make Rez the perfect version, but for me Rez was more of an audiovisual experience rather than a twitchy shoot-em up, so image quality is more important than frame rate. (Good thing we have the XBLA version with both the resolution and framerate, but is it just me or does the XBLA version sound over-compressed?)

I'm pretty sure SEGA could've found a way to run Rez at 60fps if they interlaced it like the PS2 version... but tech-talk aside, Rez made videogame history on the DC, and that is reason enough for me to consider it the bestest version of Rez ever.

dark10x

OK, random Dreamcast question...

I was playing around with some DC games yesterday and I noticed that my launch copy of Blue Stinger no longer works. I know there were bad discs floating around at that time, but it was always playable. I did notice that, when I lent it out, other folks DCs were unable to read the game but mine always did. Now, it simply won't read it. The DC just clicks for a while and then reports that there is no game inserted. The disc is in perfect condition. I just don't understand why it would have worked at one time but no longer does when every other DC game I own runs without a hitch.

I'm pretty sure SEGA could've found a way to run Rez at 60fps if they interlaced it like the PS2 version... but tech-talk aside, Rez made videogame history on the DC, and that is reason enough for me to consider it the bestest version of Rez ever.
Again, I don't see why it made history on the Dreamcast when it was released simultaneously on both DC and PS2 (in Japan) and never released on DC in North America.

Also, for a game like this, I really do think framerate is more important as it really enhances the visual experience. The difference in image quality was not all that great. It's not like comparing 480p to 720p or anything. It's obviously a matter of opinion, though.

dark10x said:
Again, I don't see why it made history on the Dreamcast when it was released simultaneously on both DC and PS2 (in Japan) and never released on DC in North America.

Also, for a game like this, I really do think framerate is more important as it really enhances the visual experience. The difference in image quality was not all that great. It's not like comparing 480p to 720p or anything. It's obviously a matter of opinion, though.

Aww Dark you're ruining my rose-tinted DC moment, but you're right again, Rez was released on both platforms simultaneously in Japan. But somehow I remember playing the hell out of the DC version before double-dipping for the PS2 version with trance vibrator.

It was hard for me to decide which was the better version, but VGA output's color, clarity, and non-interlaced progressive visuals eventually won me over. You have tried the DC version on a VGA monitor before right? I'm telling you man, back in 2001, with the lights out, headphones on, basking in the slightly irradiated glow of your computer monitor playing Rez was one of the most Cyberpunk moments I've ever had... and that's reason enough for me to consider the DC version of Rez the bestest version ever. (take 2 :D )

dark10x said:
It was released for PS2 and Dreamcast in Japan on November 21st 2001. It was then released only on PS2 in NA in 2002 (I remember as I bought it day 1). Even looking at November 21st, that was still pretty much post-DC era. I suppose it kind of came right at the tail end of DC support and the beginning of multi-console support. Regardless, the PS2 version was superior.

dark10x said:
One thing that I've noticed during a lot of the retrospectives on Dreamcast (such as the 1up podcast, the stuff at Giant Bomb, and forum posts) is that Rez is often lumped into the pile of "things Sega did that were awesome during the DC era". Yet, Rez was released well after the DC was dead (2002) and never even hit the DC in the US at all. Furthermore, the PS2 version ran at double the framerate and was released at exactly the same time. People slam the post-DC Sega releases, but in reality, there were plenty of great Sega games released just after the DC (including the trio of Smilebit XBOX games, VF4, and Rez).

It depends on how you define the DC era, obviously. If you say that it only means "when the DC was Sega's only console", then the DC era started in 12/98 (Japan) and 9/99 (US), and ended in 1/01, when Sega announced the impending death of the console.

If, however, you say that the DC era includes everything developed or in development for the system, it extends on a lot longer... so just because it was released on PS2 also it shouldn't count as a DC game, though it was initially going to be a DC exclusive? I don't think so.

Of course, there were three phases, really. First, with the DC as the only console. Second, with both the DC and other consoles. And third, other consoles only. Many late titles originally meant for Dreamcast ended up in that third category... these games obviously can't count as DC games, but should they sort of count as "DC-era Sega" stuff because they started on the platform? I could see the argument...

dark10x

memecomplex said:
Aww Dark you're ruining my rose-tinted DC moment, but you're right again, Rez was released on both platforms simultaneously in Japan. But somehow I remember playing the hell out of the DC version before double-dipping for the PS2 version with trance vibrator.

It was hard for me to decide which was the better version, but VGA output's color, clarity, and non-interlaced progressive visuals eventually won me over. You have tried the DC version on a VGA monitor before right? I'm telling you man, back in 2001, with the lights out, headphones on, basking in the slightly irradiated glow of your computer monitor playing Rez was one of the most Cyberpunk moments I've ever had... and that's reason enough for me to consider the DC version of Rez the bestest version ever. (take 2 :D )
Outside of the first few months (where I didn't have a VGA cable) I ONLY used the VGA cable on a monitor. In fact, I actually found that I preferred using an SDTV with s-video but didn't have a choice. You see, the VGA adapter WAS sharp, but it also revealed all of the visuals flaws in games that were otherwise hidden when viewed on an SDTV. So, I had mixed feelings about the VGA adapter. That said, Rez did look really sweet on a VGA monitor due to its visual style (things like dithering were not obvious with the game). However, the quality of the colors wasn't all that different from the PS2 when using component on that system. The image quality was obviously better, but again, I'm a framerate whore and I never found the interlaced appearance of PS2 games to be all that unattractive at the time anyways.

You wouldn't know it, but back then, I was actually a hardcore Sega fan. I really hated the PS2 for a while after its release. It wasn't until I saw some of the more advanced PS2 software that I started to accept it and become impressed by it. I remember holding up shots of Shenmue against the MGS2 trailer in 2000, but I couldn't deny it, when I played the MGS2 demo at 60 fps with those visuals, I knew the DC just couldn't stand up. I don't think I've ever been as impressed with a game as that. It literally felt like something from the future (and it still holds up beautifully to this day).

DC was the machine that brought 60 fps into the home and PS2 took it even further. It's a shame that things started to change over time, though, and this generation is so devoid of high framerate titles.

Favorite Dreamcast moments:

-Booting it up for the first time, best splash music ever.
-Beating Jet Grind Radio for the first time, hearing that music.
-Beating my friends ass at Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.
-Playing Street Fighter 3 Third Strike and all it's awesomeness for the very first time.

Memories...thanks Sega.

If you ever make another console I'll buy it day one.

Zoc

I was just reading the Sega entry on Wikipedia. Very interesting. Apparently the company was founded in Hawaii by Westerners, and later merged with another company that was founded in Tokyo by an American... and here I thought it was the paradigm of a Japanese game maker.

The name is a shortening of "Service Games," because the company originally made coin-operated machines for US military bases.

dark10x

camineet said:
And yet, Soul Calibur was merely a beefed-up PS1 game in the arcade!
That's the point. They didn't just port the game over, they made it look significantly better while also adding tons of features. While I much prefer the Soul Calibur series, I'd say that Tekken Tag on PS2 was a port of the same quality (massively enhanced visuals + lots of new features). Namco did a great job bringing those games home.

Future installments would be based on hardware similar to what you found in the homes, however. Soul Calibur 2 in the arcade was System 246 (basically a PS2) as was Tekken 4 and Tekken 5, for instance.

Top Bottom