• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardcore History |OT| New episode: Painfotainment

I tried buying a classic podcast today but the checkout step 3 just redirected me back to step 2 infinitely. Rage inducing.

I already bought 3 things before, so...

Shawsie64

Banned
Any idea how I can download the Ghosts of the Ostfront? I bought it a while ago but cant seem to find where to 'log in' or what not..

Any idea how I can download the Ghosts of the Ostfront? I bought it a while ago but cant seem to find where to 'log in' or what not..

From the dancarlin homepage if you go to the "web store" or whatever, there will be a thing that says "Returning customers log in here". Once you are there, you go "my account" and then look at the detailed info on the orders to get the download links.

Socreges

Banned
Listening to The American Peril right now. I love the comparison of America's foreign policy (and its image of itself) to Smeagol/Gollum. I'll definitely be using that in the future.

Sibylus

Banned
Recently have started listening to Common Sense (wonder why there's no thread, incidentally), and it's kind of surreal because one has to step back and think, "oh, here's another portion of my brain that I share in common with Dan Carlin". I should really throw some dollars his way sometime.

Not a big fan of the most recent episode, though I loved his characterisation of Roosevelt. Enjoy a mix of the more speculative episodes (under the influence etc) and the longer epics (Punic Wars, Ostfront, Khans etc.).

Coreda

Just finished listening to the Wrath of the Khans series and I have to say it was so thoroughly entertaining and engaging. Highly recommended, audio book quality, research, recording and delivery.

Seeing as how he offers older episodes for purchase it's now understandable that the quality is larger in filesize than most podcasts. Can't wait to check out some more.

MjFrancis

I don't have a problem with the file sizes. The history shows are entertaining enough that I keep them on my iPod year-round, too. Listening to all the podcasts this year that I already listened to last year and I'm still finding them completely fascinating.

Has anyone else heard his stints on the Joe Rogan podcast? I'm hoping he can become a semi-regular guest on that show. I would have never given that podcast a second chance if Dan Carlin wasn't on there. You can really tell how much respect Rogan has for him, while at the same time providing an entertaining counterweight to Carlin's delivery.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Has anyone else heard his stints on the Joe Rogan podcast? I'm hoping he can become a semi-regular guest on that show. I would have never given that podcast a second chance if Dan Carlin wasn't on there. You can really tell how much respect Rogan has for him, while at the same time providing an entertaining counterweight to Carlin's delivery.

I've enjoyed both of Dan's appearances on Rogan's pod. You can tell Rogan is a huge fan, and his enthusiasm for the show is easy to hear. Whatever expands DC audience is fine by me. He deserves it.

It doesn't hurt that I enjoy Rogan as well. I could see some people hating the appearances tho if they can't stand Rogan.

I like Rogan. And I love DC. But for me, they just dont work well together. Over the course of both the podcasts, most of the time they are both trying to talk over each other (actually DC is more guilty of this than JR), their points often go in completely different directions and their personas just dont mesh.

But at least this time Rogan had heard HH and actually gotten into it so there were some interesting points to talk over. First time DC was on I was absolutely sure Rogan hadnt listened to anything by him. :p

TCRS

Banned
I thoroughly enjoyed the Wrath of the Khans series. Next I'll listen to the Roman Republic podcasts (last episode is over five hours long lol).

DKehoe

But at least this time Rogan had heard HH and actually gotten into it so there were some interesting points to talk over. First time DC was on I was absolutely sure Rogan hadnt listened to anything by him. :p

I'm pretty sure that in previous episodes Rogan had spoken before about how he was a huge fan of the podcast.

Started off with the episode about the atomic bomb, then the episode about the anabaptists, recently finished the show telling Magellan's story. Fascinating food for thought, been raving about it to family and friends. Love the context around issues that give it meaning.

MjFrancis

It doesn't hurt that I enjoy Rogan as well. I could see some people hating the appearances tho if they can't stand Rogan.
I could see that too. I like Rogan most of the time, but if his guests are in the entertainment industry I often find the show dull, and that's most of them.

I undestand what ebullientprism means about about their conflicting views and personalities, but that's another part of what makes the appearances fun. Rogan can't back up his assertions anywhere near as well as Dan can, and unintentional comedy hits in those awkward disagreements. See Rogan's stance on pot in the first podcast and his utopian optimism in the second one.

I want to go back to the episode where he was rambling on to another one of his guests about the Mongols. That sounds like it could be amusing, too. I imagine it's like a student learning something fucking amazing and awesome and just can't wait to tell anyone willing to listen.

DKehoe

I could see that too. I like Rogan most of the time, but if his guests aren't anyone of any appreciable intelligence the show gets boring.

The quality of the guests really do change how the show is. I just listen to ones where the guest sounds interesting.

I remember a while back, I believe it was not long after the last US Presidential election, he had Eddie Bravo, a frequent guest, and friend of his, on and he was talking about how he doesn't trust mainstream news media to give him accurate information. A bit later Rogan is talking about something to do with Paul Ryan and Eddie Bravo has no clue who that is. How is that even possible?

marrec

Banned
Haha, I wonder if this is a common problem for friends and family of people who listen to this podcast. I've done the same. :p

Yep, featheredkitten is pretty much sick of hearing about Dan Carlin and the historical events he features. Don't get me wrong, she's into history, I just tell her about every episode.

:lol

falastini

Just started listening recently. I wish there was more multi-part podcasts like the Mongols and Rome. I don't know how I'm gonna deal with months between new casts... I got used to consuming them one after another.

p.s. goes great with Civ 5

I want to go back to the episode where he was rambling on to another one of his guests about the Mongols. That sounds like it could be amusing, too. I imagine it's like a student learning something fucking amazing and awesome and just can't wait to tell anyone willing to listen.

Yeah lol does anyone know which one was this?

Kinda OT but Rogan can have a really good show when he has guests that can either drive the conversation better (I though N D Tyson did that very well) or are more like him, eg Shane Smith from Vice in the last two appearances was really fun to listen to.

Time to find a new gf.

nUsgyfx.gif

LCfiner

After a week of listening to the “Seath Throes of the Republic” series, I finally finished it today. Spent a bit of yesterday and most of today listening to the epic FIVE AND A HALF HOUR long finale and loved it.

The descriptions of the relationships and complex motivations of all the characters was very nicely done. I particularly enjoyed the last half detailing the creation and dissolution of the Crassus, Pompey and Caesar triumvirate.

As I kept listening to the episode, I was impressed by how Dan kept up an engaging pacing for such a long show. I took a few breaks today but I never felt bored listening to it.

I’ll definitely be paying for some of the older episodes. Probably the Ghost of the Ostfront episodes first

Finished Death throes of the Republic the other day. Every single episode was 10/10. That final episode was amazing.

Then I listened to the episode about the Red Scare and didn't care for it too much. Maybe a 6/10.

I'm listening to Thor's Angels right now and it's pretty damn good too. At least as good as any episode of Death Throes of the Republic

Necrovex

I'm listening to the Prophets of Doom right now, and it might be my favorite thus far. I am only an hour in, so I am just getting to the meat of the story.

I have also been raving about this show to my friends. Actually this has been a gateway for me to listen to some more non-gaming podcasts.

Actually this has been a gateway for me to listen to some more non-gaming podcasts.

Right. I don't remember what I started with originally, but I've been through HH, History of Rome, History of Byzantium, Binge Thinking History, and now I'm going through History of WWII. Actually I also branched out to other avenues to satiate my thirst and listened to three or four subjects from various universities offered on history. Stanford, Yale, something else maybe. There was a late middle ages, early middle ages, world since 1945, and history of France since XXXX date.

Thanks so much GAF for introducing me to this podcast. I'm a minor history buff (in terms of knowledge) and I can't believe this show could have passed me by. The guy really is a great storyteller and I've been just sucked in to the show. Thanks GAF and thanks Dan Carlin! I will definitely be buying some older episodes once I finish the current series I'm on, Death Throes of the Roman Republic.

Just finished Prophets of Doom. Of all the episodes I've listened to, this was perhaps one of the most brutal. That ending was horrific. He wasn't joking about "gratuitous violence."

Another 10/10 episode from him. Talk about a clusterfuck of a situation in Munster

He wasn't joking about there not being much in English on those events though. The Wiki article on the Munster rebellion is small and lacking in a lot of the finer details.

Love this podcast. My favorite episodes are the ones on the Punic Wars. Some of the things he describes in them are chilling. Like when he's describing what it must have been like to be in the center of the Roman legion as Hannibal's troops were cutting their way through all those men. Scary stuff.

Shawsie64

Banned
From the dancarlin homepage if you go to the "web store" or whatever, there will be a thing that says "Returning customers log in here". Once you are there, you go "my account" and then look at the detailed info on the orders to get the download links.

Fantastic, thank you.

Finished the Wrath of Khan series today. Was fantastic. Although I do wish he went into more detail about how and why they eventually fell. They were so dominating it's surprising that a little civil disorder could have brought the whole empire down.

p.s. goes great with Civ 5

So I wasn't the only one playing a game of Civ in my mind the whole time? LOL

ST2K

Finished the Wrath of Khan series today. Was fantastic. Although I do wish he went into more detail about how and why they eventually fell. They were so dominating it's surprising that a little civil disorder could have brought the whole empire down.

He touched on the themes of strife post-Genghis quite a bit, I think. Actually, I thought he was telegraphing the inevitable split of the empire rather strongly.

and add me to the civ 5 playing listener list

Coreda

Picked up the Ghosts of the Ostfront series, well worth it. Apart from the Punic war series anyone have recommendations for single episode purchases, or are they all just as good?

I only recently stumbled across this podcast by accident - and wow, it's quite enjoyable. I like that (at least in the 2 most recent podcasts) Carlin attempts to give an balanced account of each history, and for the most part is successful.

RJT

Picked up the Ghosts of the Ostfront series, well worth it. Apart from the Punic war series anyone have recommendations for single episode purchases, or are they all just as good?

Never listened to a bad episode, but there are some merely decent ones. Loved the Globalization podcast about Magellan's circumnavigation and the Age of Discovery. But I'm portuguese, so I could be biased (even though Dan, as usual, destroys our National Heroes)

Link: http://dancarlin.com/dccart/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=1&products_id=219

I've now listened to every free episode.

The whole series absolutely fantastic. Dan is an excellent speaker. His voice is equal parts engaging, entertaining, but also in a weird way comforting

Necrovex

I finished listening to Prophets of Doom the other day. Easily my favorite episode thus far (and it's funny that he wasn't a fan of it).

It was definitely the most "out there" episode.

Ghosts is still my favorite.

As far as single episodes go, Prophets is probably his best to date. In a series, I'm more partial the Fall of the Roman Republic, if only cause listening to it start to finish feels like that scene in The Matrix where Neo gets uploaded with all martial arts. When you're done with FotRR, it's all like, "Whoa, I know Rome."

Top Bottom