• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harebrained (Shadowrun, DragonFall) bringing back BattleTech to PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

I wonder how much this will possibly end up accruing. Probably 2-3 million, I guess.

But then again, Mechwarrior Online got 5 million in crowd funding when it had the whole Founders package going on. But that might be a wider audience (action sim) and people being thirsty as fuck after 8 years of no mechwarrior.

Still, people wiling to buy those 500 dollar gold mechs in mechwarrior online gives me hope.

I hope commanding a lance does not mean it's gonna be lance vs. lance all the way.. Because even though it's fun it's the most boring fight you can get in battletech..

Dynamic warfront with hunders/thousands of soldiers tens/hundreds of tanks and vtols and such and few/dozens of lances accompanied with a dropship(s). Your lance would be one of those would be my dream come true...

Oh well not necessary my dream come true, but sufficient to satisfy my needs.

My dream come true would be a whole dynamic universe, but I can't see that coming true in the near future :)

I hope commanding a lance does not mean it's gonna be lance vs. lance all the way.. Because even though it's fun it's the most boring fight you can get in battletech..

Dynamic warfront with hunders/thousands of soldiers tens/hundreds of tanks and vtols and such and few/dozens of lances accompanied with a dropship(s). Your lance would be one of those would be my dream come true...

Oh well not necessary my dream come true, but sufficient to satisfy my needs.

My dream come true would be a whole dynamic universe, but I can't see that coming true in the near future :)

Yeah, hoping for larger battles as well. Even (especially) if you're not in control of the whole thing. Being only one part of a larger AI controlled ally force could be super cool :)

Zaptruder

Banned
Definetly hoping for company scale combat at least... Revenge of the Crescent Hawks was such a great strat game.

The strategy of positioning units on the field and engaging with multiple arms with multiple roles can only really be opened up at that scale. Lance combat is just... not nearly as interesting.

Plus, most battlefield action in the Btech universe happens at the company scale anyway.

4Tran

I wonder how much this will possibly end up accruing. Probably 2-3 million, I guess.

But then again, Mechwarrior Online got 5 million in crowd funding when it had the whole Founders package going on. But that might be a wider audience (action sim) and people being thirsty as fuck after 8 years of no mechwarrior.

Still, people wiling to buy those 500 dollar gold mechs in mechwarrior online gives me hope.
This game probably won't appeal to all of the Mechwarrior crowd and it's not as flashy as Mechwarrior Online so I think that your estimates sound pretty good.

Battletech was originally designed as a lance on lance game. And if Harebrained does a good job in increasing the detail (increasing the importance of individual Mechwarrior skills) and incorporating lots of non-battlefield role-playing, the game can be very good. A smaller scale can also increase the importance of a lot of elements that most Battletech/Mechwarrior games don't really touch.

The game takes place in 3025 and there won't be any large scale battles until the Fourth Succession War. I think that the first major battle is Misery; it takes place in 3028 and wouldn't be within the scope of this game. The order of the day is probably going to be objective raids, garrison duty and cadre missions.

This game probably won't appeal to all of the Mechwarrior crowd and it's not as flashy as Mechwarrior Online so I think that your estimates sound pretty good.

Battletech was originally designed as a lance on lance game. And if Harebrained does a good job in increasing the detail (increasing the importance of individual Mechwarrior skills) and incorporating lots of non-battlefield role-playing, the game can be very good. A smaller scale can also increase the importance of a lot of elements that most Battletech/Mechwarrior games don't really touch.

The game takes place in 3025 and there won't be any large scale battles until the Fourth Succession War. I think that the first major battle is Misery; it takes place in 3028 and wouldn't be within the scope of this game. The order of the day is probably going to be objective raids, garrison duty and cadre missions.

The game starts in 3025, no? If it really is an open-ended campaign, I could easily see them incorporating the passage of time into things.

That is true. But the original game was really a bare-bone release. The real meat for me (and I think for many) are the technical readouts and the world they build, the in-depth factions and the development of the battletech universe in general, plus the work catalyst has made is so kosher that we have a new messiah amongst us, it can do no wrong!

Anyway, I don't see why bringing more depth to the "individual controlling of the units" (if you may) that it would not be even more rewarding supplemented by varied and more complex strategical environment and a large variety of different units and circumstances. We do want the best game we can have, am i rite?

You are right, but battles don't have to be that large to be large. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Succession wars we are talking about full scale war on the scale of the whole battletech universe. Compared to that, I don't think dealing with a planet in far corners of an empire, that has gone rogue and has "an army" of several lances of run-down mechs and few hundred tanks would even necessary get more than a sidenote on the history books, but would be more than enough for a dynamic campaing,

Lime

Another bump for a new interview with MMORPG. Still kind of the same information except that HBS wants to do more units than just mechs (tanks, aerospace craft, infantry presumably):

You’ll command a lance of four mechs. Now it’s probably not going to be just mechs on the battlefield. You’ll see in other mech games there are support craft on the battlefield. Tanks and things like that. We would really like to do that as well. We are still looking into it. I’m trying not to promise too much. Som, four mechs on the battle field and you’ll be customizing the mech warriors and their load out before you go into the battlefield. We are still dong some prototyping on how the actual combat will play out. We know it will be turn based. We want a lot of tactical depth there of how you use your mechs on the battlefield. Mechs will fall into several different roles on the battlefield. It will be important to have an advance scout. There will be support units, assault mechs, mechs have typically fallen into four categories.

Probably a stretch goal.

Also, some vague info on budgetting

MMORPG: Is development dependent upon the success of the Kickstarter?

MM: We have some budget. We are still so early that we are trying to make sure that we scope it right. The Kickstarter is going to be a big part of making sure we do scope it correctly. So we are still working out the full budget and where that lies as far as it pertains to Kickstarter.

They also namedrop X-com so that might be an inspiration. I hope they do buliding/landscape destruction, it adds so much to a Mech game.

soco

Yes!!!! I've been hoping HBS would do this! I hope they have a physical tier in the Kickstarter. I still have my physical copies of Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception (ST) and The Crescent Hawk's Revenge (PC). Loved those RPGs!

chi8.jpg

The Battletech universe will make such an awesome modern RPG!

Man I loved those games!

Damerman

hairbrained schemes are one of the only devs taking good advantage of kickstarter and delivering. I can see this working out as a life long business model. They are building their pedigree very well.

The timing of this KS is pretty slimey if you ask me. Its launching 1pm est the day before Divinity 2 ks ends at 9am the next day.

That's going to help them maximize eyeballs on their own project from people coming to Kickstarter specifically to back Divinity and almost certainly not take anything away from Larian, so... doesn't seem like a problem to me?

There's an implication that the new Marauder might get a mini that could show up in the Alpha Strike box set. Hoping that the Warhammer isn't the only reseen we get in TT form soon. Otherwise the 3D printing extravaganza will continue. (And boy howdy are there some good results.)

I wonder if anything like a mini is going to be available in the KS. I can see SOMETHING being a pack in at a 200 dollar collector's edition tier or something. Maybe one of those improved plastics that the revision of the box set got the other year.

Or maybe I'm dreaming, who knows. First KS I've been legit excited for in a while though.

Stream info:
-There are 4 stages
-Stage 1 is skirmish mode, which is completely funded.
-Stage 2 is the first KS funded stage and is a single-player mode
-Stage 3 is an expanded single-player mode with side-missions and procedural map generation
-Stage 4 is PvP multiplayer

Stream info:
-There are 4 stages
-Stage 3 is an expanded single-player mode with side-missions and procedural map generation

Tanks comfirmed?

Stream info:
-There are 4 stages
making me wet :X

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea as long as it hits stage 3 I'm good. Couldn't care less about multiplayer, at least PVP multiplayer.

Co-op on the other hand...

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Stream info:
-There are 4 stages

Sogood.jpg

I honestly don't care at all about Stage 4, but Stage 3 is awesome sounding. The procedural map stuff sounds like a really awesome way to make a "quick match" mode fun to play. Doubly so if it hits Stage 4, where you would hope all the maps are procedural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom