• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix pushes out short survey about Rock Band

You do realize that the drumming aspect of Rock Band was huge right? Not including the full band now is a suicidal move.

Also, there will still be tough guitar songs. RB3 had Llama, 25 or 6 to 4, Free Bird, Roundabout, and many others. Plus all the tough songs from the other games and DLC.

The difficulty still suffers from choosing more rounded songs, instead of the guitar centric ones.

The Guitar hero 2 explorer for the xbox 360 is definitely the eptiome of the guitar hero controllers, but I think harmonix really knocked it out of the park with their Rock Band 2 guitars (let's not talk about the ones that came with RB1). Built in calibration, very solid strum bars with a nice grip, long battery life.

Bow to the king
GH5-Guitar.jpg

imo of course. Never did like the lack of clicking from RB guitars.

The Guitar hero 2 explorer for the xbox 360 is definitely the eptiome of the guitar hero controllers, but I think harmonix really knocked it out of the park with their Rock Band 2 guitars (let's not talk about the ones that came with RB1). Built in calibration, very solid strum bars with a nice grip, long battery life.

I love HMX and Rock Band but compared to Red Octaine their guitars don't do it for me. The World Tour guitar sucked but the redeemed themselves with Warriors of Rock's guitar. I luckily have two with one being a wired one from a demo unit that was rarely used.

I would kill for a current-Gen Rock Band. I think expecting the instruments to transfer over is expecting a lot and the casual market most likely tossed their old instruments.* DLC would be more likely but it would not be a deal breaker for me if it did not or if not all songs transferred.

*"Do you guys have Rock Band/Guitar Hero instruments?" Is a very frequent questions I get at GameStop.

Vlade

I want a new one, on new consoles, and I want new plastic instruments released as well as being able to use my old ones, and tons of new dlc.

also, more Blondie.

No more plastic guitars Harmonix, we now have Rocksmith. Perhaps a new Rockband that focuses on Drums\Mic\Keyboard would be ideal.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
A PS4/XB1/WiiU Rock Band please, and make my DLC compatible with it please! Along with the instruments!

And please do NOT use the shitty animation you used in RB3. such a step back from 1 and 2's animation and style.

cakely

I took the survey.

I just played Rock band with some friends last weekend. It's still pretty much karaoke with some fun toys to play with while someone sings.

I have bought literally every single piece of DLC that I was interested in (I have 500+ songs in my library). I have the pro keyboard, the crazy fender with the fretboard pickups and the midi adaptor, etc, all for the Xbox 360.

I'm just not interested in rebuying songs or instruments for a new generation of consoles at this point. I arranged my survey to reflect that.

This survey isn't very good. I want PC and f2p. I just want songs that I want and a f2p version would work. No need to charge $60 for songs you may or may not like.

_woLf

I'd buy a new game on PS4 or xbox one only if my current instruments would work on it.

EDIT: Also, all my DLC would need to transfer over.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't play much on PS3 anymore, but I still have the instruments taking up space.
I won't buy DLC anymore because PS3 is a dead end for me, I want to move on.
New game on new consoles (and PC if possible)
All my DLC needs to work or you can piss off
My instruments should work too, otherwise I won't rebuy drums and piano, but might buy a guitar
If they release on new consoles, it would encourage me to start buying DLC again.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Bow to the king
GH5-Guitar.jpg

Never used a gh guitar passed Gh3 (stupid les paul was bad). The lack of clicking is a little weird at first, but once you make that transition, it makes alt strumming much easier to keep rhythm and it's not as tiring.

It'd be interesting to see if they actually got older 360 controllers to work on the Xbox One...I wonder if it could be a loophole to getting other types of 360 controllers to work, lol.

edit: I'd probably be more interested in new plastic instruments if they had some type of easy to use trade-in program or something as well. I don't really mind paying for new instruments with new features (for example, maybe the new ones could have a switch built-in for cross compatibility, they're higher quality, etc.), but it'd be nice to not have to worry about selling shit on ebay or whatever. Send me a giant prepaid shipping box that allows me to get credit for my old instruments, or partner with Gamestop or something, lol.

That said, having the old instruments (and DLC!) work is definitely the ideal.

Ned

Neo Member
They need to release new instruments even if the old ones are compatible. It is a nightmare to find new product and the used items aren't always reliable.

Gimme a PS4 Rock Band Bundle (game and instruments for $200ish) and I am in.

I think they simply want you to rank the 5 options from most to least. They're trying to determine customer priorities, so they want to force people to choose the one choice listed that they're most excited for. So if that's true, it's working as intended - it's just set up awkwardly.

Yeah, I get it, but I could not express my utter disinterest for more than one aspect, when at least three of those options need to get hit with the disinterested hammer.

someday

Banned
I'd prefer if a new game was released on PS4/XB1 but only if my old instruments would work with it. I have an Ion drum kit and I still love it but there's no way I would buy another one. I can't see myself buying more plastic guitars either (I still have 3).

I was more into Rock Band when I didn't live in a duplex where the living room shares a wall with the neighbor's kitchen and they bitch about any loud noise. Kind of renders my favorite instrument (drums) useless.

I haven't turned on my half stack in about three months because of my neighbors. Bad times.

I swear it was yesterday or two days ago when someone posted an I'm ready for a new Guitar Hero game thread.

In it, someone said that a guy at Activision would see that thread and start frantically mashing his revamp/sequel button.

Looks like someone from EA or Harmonix beat him to the punch with their button.

Bow to the king
GH5-Guitar.jpg

That's not a picture of the king:

Mad-Catz-Rock-Band-Fender.jpg

Anyone who had the pleasure of using this wooden replica Rock Band guitar knows it was the king. It retailed for $299, but I picked up two of them for $60 at Amazon back in the day. It's an absolute pleasure to play, and it does have the clicking strum bar feedback.

The difficulty still suffers from choosing more rounded songs, instead of the guitar centric ones.

That's pretty much the point of DLC though and why they put so much emphasis on it. You get to expand your library to include the types of songs that appeal to you, whether you like hard drum songs, hard guitar songs, or you just want every Queen song in the store.

No more plastic guitars Harmonix, we now have Rocksmith. Perhaps a new Rockband that focuses on Drums\Mic\Keyboard would be ideal.

I really hope they don't listen to this advice. In fact, Rocksmith is a great reason for Harmonix to not use real guitars. I hear Rocksmith is great for learning guitars, and looking at the failure of Bandfuse, I'd say there's not a lot of room for competition in the "video games that teach guitar" niche market. Plus, not everyone wants to learn how to play a real guitar, especially at drunken Rock Band parties.

I swear it was yesterday or two days ago when someone posted an I'm ready for a new Guitar Hero game thread.

That was actually a thread from back in April or so that someone recently bumped.

Varna

I still have my pro-guitar. No audio feedback when learning an instrument was a really stupid idea.

I really hope they don't listen to this advice. In fact, Rocksmith is a great reason for Harmonix to not use real guitars. I hear Rocksmith is great for learning guitars, and looking at the failure of Bandfuse, I'd say there's not a lot of room for competition in the "video games that teach guitar" niche market. Plus, not everyone wants to learn how to play a real guitar, especially at drunken Rock Band parties.

Harmonix won't be the one that does it, but there is a huge potential for something Rocksmith 2014 started, session mode. Thing is amazing and I spend at least an hour a day in there. If someone could expand on the idea, while having much better tone designer system (stupid 3 tone limit) I think it could be pretty big. But it wouldn't be much of a video game I think.

Anyone who had the pleasure of using this wooden replica Rock Band guitar knows it was the king. It retailed for $299, but I picked up two of them for $60 at Amazon back in the day. It's an absolute pleasure to play, and it does have the clicking strum bar feedback.

That's pretty much the point of DLC though and why they put so much emphasis on it. You get to expand your library to include the types of songs that appeal to you, whether you like hard drum songs, hard guitar songs, or you just want every Queen song in the store.

That was actually a thread from back in April or so that someone recently bumped.
Forgot about this beast. Lovely guitar, but it doesn't work on the Wii does it? That's where I played my rhythm games.

I mostly just want a new Rock Band for PS4 and X1.

I would be excited for new peripherals if they were superior to my old ones, but mostly, I just want to be able to play on the new systems.

I also want my library to transfer over. If I have to pay a small fee, so be it. I would also love it if they got to re-look at some of the Bands activision blocked from the game, Tool, Metallica, Aerosmith.Mostly, I just want Tool, Pink Floyd, Led Zepelin etc. So many great bands and songs they can still look at.

Done and done. I'd definitely buy a new one if:

• It was on current gen.
  • DLC purchases carried over ala DC Spotlight.
  • Had new instruments (unless they could get the old ones to work).

I've said it before, but the only reason I can't see myself selling my 360 any time soon is because of all the Rock Band stuff I have tied to it. I'd love to be able to move on even if I take a hit to the library. The only thing I'd ask is that they get more varied/current songs. A lot of the DLC towards the end skewed towards older bands that were already in the game and there were SO many (not even really) indie bands that never showed up. I'm still amazed they never got any of Bloc Party's Silent Alarm. Those drums would have been amazingly fun.

Forgot about this beast. Lovely guitar, but it doesn't work on the Wii does it? That's where I played my rhythm games.

Unfortunately I believe it was only made for the 360. I wish the hardware makers for rhythm games could make them compatible across the different platforms, but I guess that's not how it works with first-party.

If my DLC could transfer, I'd be all over it. I've easily spent hundreds of dollars on RB DLC over the years and I'd hate to start fresh again.

GamerJM

Banned
I own this. I want to keep freaking using it.

EldkDng.jpg

I wanted to get this back in the day but never did because I told myself that it wasn't worth the high price.....I kind of regret not getting them now because the price for them used is insane and I can definitely tell that my stock RB3 kit is not going to last much longer.

I own this. I want to keep freaking using it.

EldkDng.jpg

I remember when I got mine. It was back in the day where Amazon had a ton of discounts.

There was a discount for using their toolbar, a discount for signing up for the ESA (I think), and a discount for trading in some games. (Along with CREDIT for the trade-ins, of course)

Stacked like a motherfucker.

I was able to get that for $75 new.

Fingers crossed something good comes of it. I went for -

A new game for PS4/XB1
New Instruments (something that can compete with Rocksmith please)
New DLC
DLC Sale
New game on last gen

Would love to be able to invite my Bros over to play either Pro Drums or Midi Drums while I rock out on a real Bass.

Or better still, the ability to do Drum-offs that the first two games allowed - THAT was fun.

Yup same order i did.

vg260

I'm not sure how I feel. I invested so much in DLC and peripherals for the 360, I don't want any of it to become obsolete. If they do make a new game for PS4/XBO, and DLC carries over, I guess I gotta get an XBO.

I'll never ditch my 360 because of RB.

Got those in the Amazon sale, but man the strumbar is stiff as heck.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm not sure how I feel. I invested so much in DLC and peripherals for the 360, I don't want any of it to become obsolete. If they do make a new game for PS4/XBO, and DLC carries over, I guess I gotta get an XBO.

I'll never ditch my 360 because of RB

Got those in the Amazon sale, but man the strumbar is stiff as heck.

It's the reason I invested in getting another 360.

And I have one of those guitars, it's heavy as hell, not comfortable to play imo.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I'd always wanted to get one of those but the cost was too high. I'm still impressed with how well my Beatles: Rock Band kit holds up but I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to those nice wood pieces.

CraZed

I'm encouraged by the recent "feelers" HMX has put out throughout the RB community. A new RB for current gen systems is a must. I saved all my instruments and peripherals etc. just in anticipation that HMX would bring out a new RB title for PS4/XB1.

I just hope they can get reacquire licensing for the current DLC. While I would still buy a new RB title I would be very disappointed if I had to rebuy the thousands of DLC songs I own.

Remark

Banned
I just want a new rock band on current gen with new instruments. I've been wanting to buy new instruments for a long ass time now but they're SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE.

Back in they're prime I could get a full band set for like $100-$150 but now just getting drums is almost $100 man what the fuck!?

AlexIIDX

New game for current gen would be great, especially if DLC carries over. My friend and I have a massive library of songs and i'd love to get back into it.

RPS37

I've been having the urge to play Rock Band for a while now. I grabbed my old wireless drum set out of my storage closet the other day and the insides were all messed up from the batteries leaking acid all over them. Now I'm considering picking up one of the Beatles limited edition sets off amazon for like $300.

With surveys like this coming out, I really don't know what to do.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
No DLC, thank you very much. I'm not interested in a game that costs me more than $60.

Just make a sequel or standalone edition with more songs on physical media I OWN and can RESELL.

DLC is for chumps and people with lots of money to burn like this man:

I have invested well over $1,300 in DLC and probably another $1,000 in pro instruments and lighting / effects for my living room.

Almost $2500 on a game. Jebus christ. I wish I had that kind of money in my gaming budget :/

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I would be totally cool with a new RB on last gen console being that my 2,000+ songs would transfer. I have invested well over $1,300 in DLC and probably another $1,000 in pro instruments and lighting / effects for my living room.

I have a strong fear that most of that would go to complete waste on X1 (the version I would have to buy) I will not migrate without my DLC at the very least.

I also want them to start DLC up again, but that's just because I loved having something to look forward to hearing about each week.

No more band stuff :(

Just do a guitar game, please!

No way. The beauty of RB's library is that you can build your own guitar centric game with the DLC / RBN. Out of my 2,000 songs I would say about 300 of those would probably fit the bill of "guitar game" songs.

And for my parties, the harmony vocals can NEVER leave as those are the real clincher for participation. Most people think of Rock Band / Karaoke as single person making a fool of themselves. Throw some wireless mics out into the crowd and you will instantly have the entire room singing and dancing around. Seriously people, try it.

Wozman23

My rankings:
New Game for PS4...
New DLC
New Game for PS3...
New Instruments
DLC sale

My history with the franchise:
I spent an ungodly amount of time and money behind the drums on PS3. For quite some time I owned all available DLC - until around the time the first country pack came out. Less free time and near-mastery of the drums lead me to spend a lot less on DLC, but I still purchased select tracks up until The Day the Music Died. Sadly the drums have just sat in my corner since the PS4 came out - abandoned due to the inconvenience of being on old hardware, the lack of new content, and less free time due to work.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a whole new bundle for PS4, and would prefer that option. Compatibility with hardware or DLC would be nice, but not a deal breaker. Ultimately I'd just love more Rock Band whether it's new DLC or a new last gen entry.

"Rock Band: Rush" would be a Sweet Miracle.

Top Bottom