• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix pushes out short survey about Rock Band

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
No DLC, thank you very much. I'm not interested in a game that costs me more than $60.

Just make a sequel or standalone edition with more songs on physical media I OWN and can RESELL.

DLC is for chumps and people with lots of money to burn like this man:

Almost $2500 on a game. Jebus christ. I wish I had that kind of money in my gaming budget :/

Rock Band has over 4221 songs. This does not include importing from other games. To imply that they should release a track pack for every song they've put out for dlc is just plain moronic. DLC expands the game and allows you to play songs they could not necessarily fit into one release, it gives people the option of expanding their library with songs that they like. Rock Band DLC is a lot like expanding your music library, with the addition of guitar + bass + drums + karaoke (mic).

It's ok to have an opinion but you're wrong to call someone names because they support a game that they love. I have invested a good amount of money into rock band dlc + instruments myself and I do not regret it for a second, Rock Band is one of the greatest video games of all time, and DLC just helps expand that experience. No one spent that much money overnight , Harmonix used to release songs as dlc weekly (SINCE LAUNCH) for 7 straight years, of course it adds up.

No DLC, thank you very much. I'm not interested in a game that costs me more than $60.

Just make a sequel or standalone edition with more songs on physical media I OWN and can RESELL.

Almost $2500 on a game. Jebus christ. I wish I had that kind of money in my gaming budget :/

I've over 1,000 Rock Band songs, guess I must be a chump! I've also had countless parties and memories associated with this game. My friends and I even played in front of Harmonix and the Giantbomb guys before PAX a few years back and that was the highlight of my year. I'm glad great games have options to make them last longer.

I basically want Rock Band 3 HD on new gen. As much dlc to transfer as possible and as much new dlc as possible. Rock Band 3 was perfect for me. Old instruments working would be great, but a fresh batch would be useful too. Hopefully the guitars are closer to Guitar Hero guitars, though. RB had the dlc, but I much preferred the clicky GH guitars to the mushy RB ones.

espher

Additionally, the old gen actually had a 2,000 song limit, I believe. After that, items failed to load.

Just being on a beefier device will help things go smoothly.

2,952. I believe it's coded as 3,000, but 48 songs are reserved for menus/tutorials/whatever.

Let me carry my library forward or release on legacy consoles and I will be super happy. I'll miss customs and my harmony upgrades but I can accept that.

FyreWulff

You know I put that current-gen Rock Band as number one. God, this practically confirms they're actually considering it.

It wouldn't hurt the game at all. Going next gen mostly allows longer songs due to more RAM, and loading more DLC at once.

People probably forget Rock Band 2 released onto PS2. Rock Band has already been cross-gen.

My ranking went new dlc, new instruments, new rb for 360, sale, new rb for new consoles

FyreWulff

The Wii version of the games couldn't have songs over certain lengths due to ram limitations. (Also other fuck ups, too)

In those cases the Wii didn't hold the 360 or PS3 back, the song was simply omitted on the store for the Wii. The only two songs long enough to matter was the Abbey Road Medley for Beatles and 2112 for RB3

edit: whoops doublepost

I just want to chime in that you're a crazy person. DLC was the best thing to happen to these types of games. Imagine if in order to get all the individual songs you wanted, you had to buy a bunch that you didn't. Other than the fact that you can't resell it (something I would never do with the DLC songs that I hand picked anyway), it's the most consumer friendly model.

Enthus

The Beatles: Rock Band II with a more complete catalogue, pro instruments, and keyboard. Why isn't that an option on this survey?

Xyber

I basically want Rock Band 3 HD on new gen.

Pretty much.

The only complaint I have with RB3 is the online mode. Playing with random people in RB2 was really fun and there was kind of unwritten rules on how you were to behave. The guitar players usually took turns on guitar unless someone actually wanted to play bass all the time. You didn't make long playlists that forced one player to be stuck on bass for 6 songs. And you didn't pick songs that sucked for one of the players, like no vocals or drums.

In RB3 most of this just fell apart. Everyone was allowed to add songs to a playlist and only the host could decide when it was enough and start the game (which some people really didn't know how to do at the start since you had to hold down Start on the controller).

Everyone added a bunch of songs, both guitar players selected guitar and prayed you got it, people left halfway through the setlist, the bass player was stuck on bass for 30-45 minutes if unlucky. It was just a bad experience overall.

I really enjoyed playing with random people for the most part in RB2. Those times when you found a group of people that had pretty much the same DLC, all played great on expert and gold stared every song was perfection. I barely touched the online mode in RB3 because of how poor it was for me. The people I had on my friendlist from RB2 had mostly stopped playing when RB3 was released, so that sucked a lot of the fun out of the game when I couldn't even do some online band quickplay by myself.

Band quickplay in RB3 worked great for local multiplayer though (apart from not being able to activate breakneck speed for individual players..), but that experience did not translate well to online.

This turned into a bit of a rant. But I really think they mostly had the online experience nailed down in RB2 and made it so much worse in RB3.

If anyone from Harmonix reads this and you ever make a RB4, please don't mess up online band quickplay again. :( You had something great that just needed a few improvements, but fucked it up.

Amaya

Banned
I can't find a cheap rockband drum set anywhere. Please rerelease it at a reasonable price. I can get real drums for what people are asking. Wasn't it 150 for the set?!

I don't really like the way the survey was set up. Sure, I don't play Rock Band currently, but they offered no way to express how many hours of my life it consumed in the past and how much money I spent on DLC. The survey's options just make me sound like some asshole who doesn't play Rock Band.

FyreWulff

I don't really like the way the survey was set up. Sure, I don't play Rock Band currently, but they offered no way to express how many hours of my life it consumed in the past and how much money I spent on DLC. The survey's options just make me sound like some asshole who doesn't play Rock Band.

If they didn't make people rank the decisions, every Rock Band player would have put everything at 1, making the survey useless :p

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Rock Band has over 4221 songs. This does not include importing from other games. To imply that they should release a track pack for every song they've put out for dlc is just plain moronic. DLC expands the game and allows you to play songs they could not necessarily fit into one release, it gives people the option of expanding their library with songs that they like. Rock Band DLC is a lot like expanding your music library, with the addition of guitar + bass + drums + karaoke (mic).

It's ok to have an opinion but you're wrong to call someone names because they support a game that they love. I have invested a good amount of money into rock band dlc + instruments myself and I do not regret it for a second, Rock Band is one of the greatest video games of all time, and DLC just helps expand that experience. No one spent that much money overnight , Harmonix used to release songs as dlc weekly (SINCE LAUNCH) for 7 straight years, of course it adds up.

I'd like to point out that I didn't call anybody names. I said "DLC is for chumps or people who have a lot of money to burn and I provided an example of someone who has/had a lot of money to burn, aka, people with lots of disposable income, something that most americans aspire to be.

You're the one who used the word "moronic" instead of any number of less insulting words, such as "misguided" or "shortsighted" to name a couple.

Rockband DLC was always grossly overpriced in my opinion, and because of that, I never bought any. You clearly disagree and that's ok. People value things differently.

I just want to chime in that you're a crazy person. DLC was the best thing to happen to these types of games. Imagine if in order to get all the individual songs you wanted, you had to buy a bunch that you didn't. Other than the fact that you can't resell it (something I would never do with the DLC songs that I hand picked anyway), it's the most consumer friendly model.

So, according to the bolded part, other than the part that's not consumer-friendly, it's the most consumer friendly model?

I agree with you, with the caveat that the songs also need to be reasonably priced, like, say, $1/song or, alternatively, the same amount as if you took the main game's price and divided it by the number of songs it contains, disregarding the cost of all other, non-song software it contains.

$2500 over 7 years = ~$350 a year. For something that you really love that is NOTHING.

You want to call me a chump? That's fine. Chances are you have never been to a Rock Band party like mine either. A party where I can keep 10 - 15 people entertained for 8 hours straight just utilizing what I have created over the last 7 years. Free of charge for them.

I didn't call you a chump, I said you had a lot of money to burn and expressed envy because I would've loved to be able to afford all that stuff. I'm not sure why you felt the need to defend yourself...people on this forum routinely spend twice that amount on PC rigs. There is nothing weird about it. If you've got the disposable income, you can spend it however you like.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR

$2500 over 7 years = ~$350 a year. For something that you really love that is NOTHING.

To defend myself here, The Rock Band series over the years has been a great passion of mine that you can go back to the very first Rock Band thread here on GAF (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204875) and find that I was there championing the game even before release. I don't think I ever missed a Friday of announcements and for 6 straight years bought at least 1 song a week (most often times more) to support what really was the greatest download content streak to be released for a video game.

I made some genuine internet friends from this very forum thanks to DLC. You can ask anybody that was part of that group back then and they will likely tell you the same thing. Some weeks we celebrated, some weeks we bitched, other weeks Yngwie came out. The best weeks were when Starship and other 80's cheese came out....but to be serious and digress, that was all part of the fun.

For the games side in my personal life, it earned me countless hours of competitive and cooperative fun, tons of awesome memories with friends (still does actually), and most importantly, got me into buying my own REAL instruments for my personal enjoyment / recording.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j52/Sp3eD/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse3c20a71.jpg

(None of this stuff existed for me 3 or 4 years ago all thanks to rock band.)

Please do not get me wrong here, this is not meant as some "look at all the shit I have" brag post. I love every bit of what I have invested in RB. I have a lot of pride showing my setup to friends and co-workers. You want to call me a chump? That's fine. Chances are you have never been to a Rock Band party like mine either. A party where I can keep 10 - 15 people entertained for 8 hours straight just utilizing what I have created over the last 7 years. Free of charge for them.

So I guess to wrap this up, the reason this game and all the money I invested into it is worth it to me, comes from something a friend told me about a month ago after coming to my RB party for the first time. To sum it up, they told me that at first they were apprehensive to come due to the "nerdyness" of it but ultimately came and had a blast. Their quote at the end "Awesome party, you out karaoked most dedicated karaoke bars bro, whens the next one?". Yep, that felt good, worth it for that alone.

FyreWulff

It's not really up to Harmonix to allow resell though. You can technically sell your songs on a USB stick, it's just that nobody else's PS3/360 will decrypt it.

And the price doesn't mean much, especially if that's how you buy songs. Rock Band was pretty much the way I bought new and old songs I didn't own yet; not only could I play them, but Harmonix's mastering work is vastly superior to the CD releases.

So, according to the bolded part, other than the part that's not consumer-friendly, it's the most consumer friendly model?
When your alternative is having to buy another $60 disc even if there are only a handful of new songs on it you want? Yeah, it's the more consumer friendly option. But I'm the type of person who stopped buying physical music a LONG time ago so I guess I see it differently. I don't expect to be able to resell my MP3s
I agree with you, with the caveat that the songs also need to be reasonably priced, like, say, $1/song or, alternatively, the same amount as if you took the main game's price and divided it by the number of songs it contains, disregarding the cost of all other, non-song software it contains.

As someone who has attempted to make songs for RBN, they are VERY fairly priced. Putting those songs together is a labor intensive process and when you factor in the cut the artist is going to get, Harmonix (or the publisher (not really sure who actually gets the money there)) aren't making a lot of money off that $2. Considering a normal MP3 song usually goes for $1 on it's own, adding another $1 on top of that to cover labor, the artist's cut, the publisher's cut, and the console manufacturer's cut is more than fair. It's not like they didn't have bundle discounts all the time either.

It'd be cool if they could transfer 360 DLC to PS4, kind of like how GTAV's saves are supposed to transfer. I guess you would sync it with their site, then it would allow you to download them on PS4.

EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

Xyber

Rockband DLC was always grossly overpriced in my opinion, and because of that, I never bought any. You clearly disagree and that's ok. People value things differently.

I guess you haven't really thought about how much work goes in to making just a single song for the game?

I've made quite a lot of custom songs for Rocksmith and the process is similar in a lot of ways. On average I'd say it takes me maybe 6 hours in total to finish a song. But I can import tabs and making difficulties is automated, if I had to do more of that stuff manually it would take way longer. They have to beatmap the song, place notes for all the plastic instruments by hand, they make the Pro versions for real guitars and keys. Then there's playtesting. This does not include all the time they had to spend on actually getting the rights to use a song.

I'd say 2 bucks is reasonable for all the work that goes in to making a song. People don't work for free and money needs to come from somewhere.

Grossly overpriced is certainly not something I've ever heard about Rock Band DLC. If you want to see overpriced and anti-consumer, check out the $6.25 DLC three-packs Activision offered where you only had guitar/bass playable and you couldn't even buy the songs individually. Harmonix is the company that made DLC cheaper and forced Activision to eventually change their pricing and DLC strategy to be competitive.

I agree with you, with the caveat that the songs also need to be reasonably priced, like, say, $1/song

Lucky for you, about 1,100 DLC songs are priced at $1 and have been for some time now since the RB1/RB2-era DLC price drop. Not that I agree with your premise about $2 being unreasonably priced. Harmonix does a ton of production work in-house on each song and they also have to split the revenue with record labels/artists/first-party.

Also, I wanted to add that it's fine if you don't like that you can't resell DLC. But that's not on Harmonix. If you'd prefer buying expansion packs full of songs you don't want just so you can perhaps sell it one day, more power to you. Harmonix even made some of those (I believe they did quite poorly compared to DLC). But I'm glad Harmonix is one of the few companies that did DLC right last generation and let people tailor their song library to their tastes.

cakely

That's not a picture of the king:

Mad-Catz-Rock-Band-Fender.jpg

Anyone who had the pleasure of using this wooden replica Rock Band guitar knows it was the king. It retailed for $299, but I picked up two of them for $60 at Amazon back in the day. It's an absolute pleasure to play, and it does have the clicking strum bar feedback.

I have one of those and I love it. I think I bought it on the same sale that you did. It is the perfect 5-button toy guitar. :)

Wozman23

Using the term currently was a poor choice. I hope they realize the poor wording that excludes the hardcore fans who have sadly moved on. I'd assume there are a lot of us with other priorities and failing hardware.

I felt bad putting none, but I haven't played - nor do I intend to play - since moving to the PS4, and hadn't quite some time before that either - probably around the time DLC ended.

There was a time a few years ago - when DLC was in full swing - where I played for at least a couple hours every single day. On days off - or during my brief stint of unemployment - I could easily spend the greater part of the day behind the drums.

FyreWulff

This is the first I've heard of people feeling newer music game DLC being overpriced. Unless you think charting a song was free.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was more into Rock Band when I didn't live in a duplex where the living room shares a wall with the neighbor's kitchen and they bitch about any loud noise. Kind of renders my favorite instrument (drums) useless.

Get mesh heads. They play a lot better in addition to being very quiet. Dat rebound.

zsidane

do they know that a thing called Rocksmith happened in the mean time?

i was a huge fan of GH/RB but since October 2013 i can't go back to plastic gears.
it was fun while it lasted :)

More Rock Band is always welcome. I'm fine with paying for new instruments considering my old stuff is Wii-only, I only have one guitar, and they're all worn down.

tbh I'm not surprised they're trying to get data whether to develop a new RB. I'm sure MS dropping the Kinect and that they have had to go back and redesign Chroma has meant that Harmonix needs to reevaluate their outlooks. RB is big IP and Hmx already has a lot of the backend work completed, so it makes sense to revisit it.

That being said though, I think legacy instrument support would have to be mandatory for this to succeed, because it seems a bit much to expect consumers to fill their living rooms with a new load of plastic crap and especially retailers to fill their stores with giant boxes considering how hard it was to move music game bundles after the genre's bubble burst.

Also, I wanted to add that it's fine if you don't like that you can't resell DLC. But that's not on Harmonix. If you'd prefer buying expansion packs full of songs you don't want just so you can perhaps sell it one day, more power to you. Harmonix even made some of those (I believe they did quite poorly compared to DLC). But I'm glad Harmonix is one of the few companies that did DLC right last generation and let people tailor their song library to their tastes.
Not to mention how impractical it would be to sell the DLC physically if you wanted to do that for the entire library. How do you separate those out? Do you release a pack of 3 songs? 10? 30? What if they could only get one song from an artist and have to pack it with two other ones and you don't like those other bands? Now you're stuck paying for songs you don't want from bands you don't like. What if a band stipulates that you can only sell a physical version that includes the whole album (much like ACDC did), but you only want one of the songs? So now your only option is to buy the whole thing. In the meantime, what retailer is going to stock these hundreds of discs? Are you really going to hold on to all of them and store them in the hopes that you can sell a 3 song disc some day down the line for 75 cents? It just doesn't make sense.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

i was a huge fan of GH/RB but since October 2013 i can't go back to plastic gears.

You can't pick up and play so it's useless for local multi, which is Rock Band's bread and butter.

And the vocal interface in RB is easily the best implementation of karaoke ever, and the tracks are cheap for karaoke, AND they're not covers.

Lady Gaia

I agree with you and the person who replied. I wish there was an successful combination of Rocksmith + Rock Band casual instruments. Those who have dedicated time and energy to the craft could play real instruments while others could join in at whatever skill level they have. Presumably that's where they were headed with Rock Band 3.

Of course part of the reason I've largely moved to Rocksmith is that my axe of choice is a bass, and they never did wind up with a pro bass. The tracks are there, just no adequate way to play them ... and now that I've invested in a decent bass I have a hard time imagining playing with a mass market instrument.

Remark

Banned
I personally thought all the DLC weekly releases at the time were priced just right. At the time of Rock Band 2 I was getting paid by my job weekly (and I was still living at home) so I could buy the weekly DLC every week and it wouldn't effect me. Couldn't really do the same with Rock Band 3 though and only choose to buy the songs I really like.

Still though the DLC in Rock Band was amazing and one of the few correct uses of DLC imo.

vg260

I also think the idea that $2 songs is grossly overpriced is ridiculous, and hardly anyone would agree with that notion.
$2 was a completely fair price considering they had to obtain masters, split out all the instruments parts, remix the sound, etc. The didn't even up the price after adding keys and harmonies. As was said, Activision was trying to charge more initially for just guitar and bass. It's also cheaper than Rocksmith DLC, which is essentially an mp3 song, with guitar charts mapped over it and none of the master track hassle. Again, the key here is Harmonix was dealing with separated master tracks, and there was way more involved on the licensing and dev side. When they listed the price as $2, after seeing GH's initial DLC pricing I was stoked. They did DLC right all around, from the pricing to long term support.

I basically want Rock Band 3 HD on new gen. As much dlc to transfer as possible and as much new dlc as possible. Rock Band 3 was perfect for me. Old instruments working would be great, but a fresh batch would be useful too. Hopefully the guitars are closer to Guitar Hero guitars, though. RB had the dlc, but I much preferred the clicky GH guitars to the mushy RB ones.

^This is pretty close on the best HMX can do.

The story mode needs stripping out and tutorials need rethinking a little for new players. I can't see why they can't get a BandFuse/RockSmith style cable to work in place of the old Pro Guitars. The only other change I'd like to see is the silly limit that stopped two of the same instrument playing at the same time.

I can live without old DLC even though I spend £100's (possibly £1000's) on it. That said it should only be licencing and MS/Sony restrictions that stop old DLC working on a new game, even with changes in Pro Guitar. There shouldn't really be any technical restrictions in reading a data file.

web01

A new Rockband for current gen makes the most sense in the immediate future tons of people already invested in the platform owning all the instruments and tons of DLC. Of course a next gen game would be great but they have to launch it with massive marketing / hype backing to make it a success (need install base to drive dlc sales make sequels worthwhile and make manufacturing instruments cost effective) and I do not think think Harmonix is capable of that right now. Christmas 2015 would make most sense but no time sooner.

They also made many bad decision through out the Rockband series life they really need to address and not screw up if they start fresh on a new platform. Some exmaple: Cutting off a huge player base buying DLC on the transition to making DLC RB3 exclusive. (was obvious in leaderboard stats.) Removing competitive modes in RB3 encouraged people to not to come across and made it feel like an inferior product, not leveraging the advantage over games like Singstar and Lips of having a massive song library but no proper two player competitive / scored karaoke mode. Also not allowing multiple people on the same instruments. Just make it easy for people to play the game how they like without any impediments. If I ask can I play x and y together the answer should always be yes.

SFenton

I can't see why they can't get a BandFuse/RockSmith style cable to work in place of the old Pro Guitars.

Audio output limitations on next-gen consoles- same reason we didn't have Rocksmith launch for either platform. Digital-only out while BandFuse and Rocksmith could 100% rely on analog audio out being available.

I'm sure all 12 Rocksmith fans agree with you.

I hope this is a joke, for real. You're aware that Rocksmith has been doing weekly DLC that costs more than RB DLC, right? That they announced an iOS version? That a Mac version of the game exists?

Rocksmith is the one Ubisoft game that I'm honestly not sure I could take any argument of Ubi meddling with seriously, and the fanbase is there to back it up.

That's not a picture of the king:

Mad-Catz-Rock-Band-Fender.jpg

Anyone who had the pleasure of using this wooden replica Rock Band guitar knows it was the king. It retailed for $299, but I picked up two of them for $60 at Amazon back in the day. It's an absolute pleasure to play, and it does have the clicking strum bar feedback.

I got one of those cheap on Amazon as well, and it's fantastic. The weight took some time to get used to, but it feels so much better than the plastic guitars. I want a current gen Rock Band, but support for this guitar is an absolute must for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd be ok with a RB3 on PS4, but I want the option to have auto kick on the drums, like in lego rock band. I love the drums but I'm just too crap with the pedal

My order:

A new game for PS4/XB1
New Instruments (something that can compete with Rocksmith please)
New DLC
DLC Sale
New game on last gen

I played RB religiously. Not a day went by, from its initial release until my instruments finally died, that I did not play it. I had a total of about 1300 tracks.

I would insta-buy a current gen RB game without thought, even if the previous DLC is not compatible (though compatibility would be a HUGE plus).

I only have four suggestions:

1) Instead of a weekly offering, set up a library of songs that is ever growing (sort of like iTunes, as one poster said), possibly on an EA/HMX server so you don't have to wait for when XBL or PSN updates. Just throw them up when they are done.

2) Release the disc with the engine and Indies only. Put everything else in the Library.

3) Continue with the RBN, but get the labels more involved.

4) A bit controversial, but I would love the implementation of a Band Manager (similar to the old PC games). Building a band from scratch, hiring and managing your members, getting signed, setting up shows (set-lists, lighting, pyrotechnics, etc), merchandising and advertising, and going from nobody to mega-stars based on your performances. Because the only flaw in the genre is high score chasing with no real reward besides gold stars. I think this would add another dimension to the game.

InsuRn

jQjVSf9.gif

I like Rocksmith and I like Rock Band. Rocksmith is good if you want to learn a song on guitar or bass while Rock Band is good if you want to have fun with other peoples, if you want to sing or if you want to play drums like there's no tomorrow.

zsidane

jQjVSf9.gif

I like Rocksmith and I like Rock Band. Rocksmith is good if you want to learn a song on guitar or bass while Rock Band is good if you want to have fun with other peoples, if you want to sing or if you want to play drums like there's no tomorrow.

Well, I still have both!
What I mean is that I don't see myself investing more money because I have enough GH/RB songs among all the games released so far, and they are there whenever a throw a party with my friends. Nothing new happened and I can't justify for myself to invest in new song bcause as someone who likes electric guitar, i still have fun while trying to learn to play the song in a real guitar.

Not my intention to start a fake war between GH/RB and rocksmith fans since I do both; just giving my opinion :)

Amir0x

Banned
Beatles Rock Band is one of the most respectful, fantastic tributes in gaming. Just wanted to put that out there. An utter joy to play.

yeah i'm glad Rock Band existed so this could be made. So much unbelievable fan service within the game too, a wealth of information about the band could be unlocked, stuff I genuinely hadn't seen anywhere else. Lovely stuff.

Top Bottom