• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter games

adj_noun

As a huge HP fan, I consider this to be one of the most untapped properties in all of gaming. So much potential for more. An MMO for this world could be insanely awesome if someone gave it the proper care.

Right now I'm imagining a kind of Potter/Bully hybrid.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
FLIPENDO!

Really enjoyed the first three games and the absurd differences in their releases (like, the console HP1 was different from the PC and Gameboy, etc.).

Kinda fell on quality afterwards, especially when they decided to stick to movie aesthetics, but it picked up in 5 and 6. 7 however fell terribly in quality.

How was the Quidditch game?

Wanderer5

The original on PS1 was a great Zelda ripoff that followed the book very well. The second and third games were great Zelda ripoff's as well albeit extremely short, (3rd being about 4 hours long if you just go through the missions in haste). I also played the 2nd on the GBA and it was a fun and long adventure game.

That being said, the games became abysmal after the 4th. I did hear that the 5th game was fairly decent but by then the quality had dipped severely and the quality of AAA games last generation was significantly higher at the same price.

But if you really want to play the games, I'd suggest playing the first three on PS2.

Best wishes.

The 5th game was baaaaaad. Exploring Hogwarts could have been neat and using the wiimote was cool to cast spells, except the game ended up being a chore sim. You mostly just fixing, cleaning things and do fetch quests galore. It got really dull and repetitive fast. The 6th game seem to be similar, but I haven't played it.

Herry+popper+source+of+gif+https+wwwyoutubecom+watch+v+krehhrm4ary_f572f9_5118281.gif

Pedersen

Played the hell out of Chamber of Secrets. Loved the exploration and I remember some intense and scary sneaking sections. Also I foolishly lent the game to my neighbour before finishing it, and of course he scratched the disk which made it unplayable. Threw a sharp stone in his ugly face because of it. He needed a couple stitches, but fuck him.

Linkark07

Banned
Played the PC version of the first two and the GC version of the next two. Loved the first three since I could travel through the school, something the 4th one lacked.

After that, stopped playing the games.

oti

Banned
1: OHMAGOD it's Harry Potter this game is amazing
2: OHMAGOD it's Harry Potter this game is pretty cool
3: This is a surprisingly great game, I really enjoy it
4: Utter garbage
5: Open world HOGWARTS LIKE WHAT BEST GAME EVA- wait all I'm doing is collecting members for the order
6: STILL OPEN WORLD HELL YES oh wait I'm colourblind this portions minigame breaks the game for me
7.1: Gears of Garbage
7.2: Gears of Garbage Part Deux

I have Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire on Xbox. I only really played the latter. It reminded me of the Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and Return of the King games, which I really like, and I thought it was fun. I didn't know that they actually made anything after that besides the LEGO games, though. Huh. Then again, my younger brother was always the big Harry Potter fan, not so much me. He read all of the books a few times, I just watched the movies.

Herne

I liked HBP on the Wii, despite the frame rate dips. And how we haven't had a full, proper sequel to Quidditch World Cup is beyond me. That's a game that would sell.

Played the first two on PS1 when I was real young. Once I got a PS2 and realized they were completely different games on it I played through those two on there, then went on to play the third game. Didn't care for the fourth or the seventh game all that much, but I remember loving exploring through Hogwarts in OotP. I so want CD Projekt Red to make a Harry Potter game.

will0wis

I LOVED these games as a kid, I had all of them for PC, up until the sixth game and the second and third games for the PS2 as well.

The first 3 games are simply amazing, both on PC and consoles, though the PC versions were always simpler, even graphically, and much easier games. Prisoner of Azkaban on PS2, I remember, was one of the best games I've ever played. Flying around Hogwarts with my Nimbus or Buckbeak was just awesome, not to mention the finding secret areas and collectibles. They really made Hogwarts feel like a magical place and full of secrets to explore. The soundtracks were also amazing, with wonderful pieces by Jeremy Soule (The Elder Scrolls' composer since Morrowind).

When the fourth game came they changed the formula considerably to appeal to the movie crowd and I honestly hated it. They started using the actors as models you couldn't explore anything anymore, there were just these "story levels" where each one had different challenges according to what happened in the movie at that point.

In the fifth game they changed it again, returned with heavy exploration and more freedom in the use/effect of spells in the environment, which was really nice. The sixth game followed the same standard and both were good games.

I never actually played the last one because it looked so boring watching videos, but I might do it someday, just to close the series so many years later.

I always thought that a great game could be made in the Harry Potter universe about Wizards during the time of the Hogwarts house wizards. It could be completely divorced of the Harry Potter story and you could have your wizard be the one to discover some of the spells that the book characters use throughout the story.

For licensed games, they've always been a bit above-average. I especially enjoyed HP1 and HP2 on PS1, HP1 on PC, the GBC sprite-based role-playing games, and Prisoner of Azkaban's open-world spin on PS2.

I think my age had a lot to do with it, though, and being a batsh**-crazy HP fan. I grew out of being diehard around the time the games started to drop in quality and were all over the board, genre-wise.

pbsapeer

Banned
Pretty solid games. Had them originally on psone (well the first 2) and then re bought them about 18 months ago for 99p off eBay. Replayed them and they're surprisingly still good. My fave thing was the sounds. Sometimes when I burp like the chocolate frog noise I tell people but they don't get it haha
Also the squeaking of the floors round hog warts haha

LuuKyK

For the main series of games the first four are the only ones I really enjoyed playing. They were REALLY good games.

The rest is decent to trash tier, the last two being the worst. They just suck.

From the spin-offs, the LEGO games are pretty damn awesome, they recreated the Hogwarts Castle perfectly including areas we've never seen anywhere else, even in the books (barely) like some common houses and such. Very faithful.

The Quidditch game was also a lot of fun, I wish they made a sequel. Played countless hours of that when I was younger.

Overall I do think there is still so much wasted potential in the HP IP. They could have done so much more with it. It still has such a big fan-base it would not be late to bring something new to the table, so hopefully they do, I am not holding my breath though. :(

Karu

Played Part 2 on my GBA. I liked it a lot. Franchise always seemed ripe for an semi-open world game (think Arkham City).

I thought turning Goblet into a co-op party game was pretty bad (though fun), but then they turned the last two into Gears of War... absolutely no concept or clue of what makes the series interesting.

I won't rest until I get my WRPG set during the First Wizarding War where you go through all seven years of Hogwarts and have to either join the Order of the Phoenix or the Death Eaters at the end...

Played the gameboy RPG as well as the first one on PC, HP5 on PS360 was surprisingly okay too and I loved the Quidditch game on gameboy.

I always tried getting a lead big enough the snitch can't fuck me over.

It is something that I've never played a Harry Potter game when I spent so much time reading the books.

Damn shame we never got an Open World RPG set in Hogwarts.

Shit we need this or either the Hogwarts Bully game that another member suggested. I can only imagine the fuckery involved in doing various missions to appease the houses. I'll make sure life is hell for the Slytherins.

I have a nostalgic memory of the first PS1 title (which was also creepy as hell), but the best game is still the Lego one. Which is true of way too many properties, and that's just sad.

Symphonia

Banned
I loved the shit out of PS and CoS due to the art style, so it kind of irked me that EA made the choice to go with a more realistic design. Every game post-CoS would be perfect with the original style, even OotP, which was shit gameplay wise.

Roi

gba_harry_potter_and_the_sorcerers_stone_2.jpg

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on GBA

I was 12 when this was released, loved it then!

Cody_D165

Banned
If you haven't, play Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets on Game Boy Color. Seriously, those two versions are goddamn incredible turn-based RPGs that actually technically push the hardware to its limits and their version of Hogwarts is an absolute treat to explore.

Prisoner of Azkaban on GBA is nearly as good as these two but falls slightly short imo.

I remember playing one on PC, and another one on gameboy. Cant remember what they were, but I loved them as a kid lol. I think they were both sorcerrors stone, but cant remember for sure.

Good to see I'm not alone! Some parts used to kinda freak me out.

Due to the nature of the tech I suppose, Hogwarts was very quiet and isolated. It works to it's advantage though. I can't find a screen, but the parts where the hooded Quirrel/Voldemort just randomly showed up on a high up, out of reach balcony were nightmare fuel.

Also.... dem character models

tumblr_inline_n3bpou2TLc1r95s0o.jpg

Ah this one too! I remember it being very short, but must have played it over a dozen times.

Santiako

I loved that it had voice samples for the spells, I still remember the "Flipendo", "Alohomora", "Aviforce" and "Wingardium Leviosa". It was pretty good IIRC.

Due to the nature of the tech I suppose, Hogwarts was very quiet and isolated. It works to it's advantage though. I can't find a screen, but the parts where the hooded Quirrel/Voldemort just randomly showed up on a high up, out of reach balcony were nightmare fuel.

Also.... dem character models

tumblr_inline_n3bpou2TLc1r95s0o.jpg
Yeesh.

I remember that hooded Quirell part! I think it's where you learn Flipendo and have to move the jinx blocks.

FtXGyHV.png

Look what you've done, GAF. I'm installing the first game. Hope it will run on modern PC, although my Windows 98 machine is up and ready too.

EDIT: Damn, unsupported DirectX version. I will try to install 9.0c redistributables, although I don't think it will work. Time to dust off my trusty IBM NetVista.

Murugo

The first couple Harry Potter games for PC were amazing. You can't go wrong with Jeremy Soule.

Happy Hogwarts

Story Book

Flying

Playful 2

SPONGIFY!

Edit: I always found the premise for the Bean Bonus Room to be strange. The entire house achieves the highest number of points, but only Harry is special enough to go in while the others watch.

- Philosopher's Stone PC
- Philosopher's Stone Console (Different from PC one iirc)
- Philosopher's Stone GBC (RPG)
- Philosopher's Stone GBA
- Chamber of Secret PC
- Chamber of Secret Console
- Chamber of Secret GBC (RPG)
- Chamber of Secret GBA
- Prisoner of Azkaban Console
- Goblet of Fire
- Quidditch World Cup

Lol i never counted them. RPGs ones (game boy color) were good imho. Console ones were ok until the third, Goblet of Fire was not good. Corridors and mandatory content (you had to grind to progress through levels) were terrible.
Never tried lego ones unfortunately.

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Harry potter games for GameCube were amazing. Flying on Buckbeak was pretty cool.

Played the crap out of World Cup.

Vashetti

Banned
Seriously I would re-buy them all on PSN if they were available. Is this ever likely to happen or has the license ran out?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Prisoner of Azkaban (for PC) was where the series peaked.
Unsurprisingly the same could be said about both books and movies.

And then they turned the games into a TPS.

Ahhh that's the one! Yeah that creeped me out. Also the part where you had to run away from the troll. Geez what was it about PS1 games and having levels where you ran away from a big enemy towards the camera?
The beginning of that video just reminded me how much I hated sneaking past Filch in the library. I also used to get really nervous when sneaking around the sleeping troll (in the dungeons, I think?).

Gringotts was an absolute nightmare to play through.

SparkTR

FtXGyHV.png

Look what you've done, GAF. I'm installing the first game. Hope it will run on modern PC, although my Windows 98 machine is up and ready too.

EDIT: Damn, unsupported DirectX version. I will try to install 9.0c redistributables, although I don't think it will work. Time to dust off my trusty IBM NetVista.

Try DGVoodoo2. Copy the DirectX .dll files (which is in the 'MS' folder) to the games .exe folder.

Played Part 2 on my GBA. I liked it a lot. Franchise always seemed ripe for an semi-open world game (think Arkham City).
Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban are open-world on PC and consoles, and so is the PS1 version of Philosopher's Stone.

Then they made some kind of dumb action game out of Goblet of Fire and I never played these ever again.

Top Bottom