• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvard Study: Mainstream Media Acted as Trump’s Mouthpiece, Clinton’s Foe

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
The media wanted Trump as President because he would be best for ratings. Full stop.

The rest is history.

I don't think they quite wanted him to win. I think they - like most of America - was quite sure that he didn't stand a chance and so were willing to give him all the airtime he would suck up to boost ratings.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't think they quite wanted him to win. I think they - like most of America - was quite sure that he didn't stand a chance and so were willing to give him all the airtime he would suck up to boost ratings.

This is probably the most correct reading, from the point of view of actual (semi) serious journalists and editors. However, I'd imagine the executives at these media companies were perfectly happy for him to become president. Dipshits like Zucker, who are actually friends with Trump.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Not surprising and such bullshit.

There was that ceo that said covering Trump was bad for country but good for ratings.

This is the dangers of media as corporate profit seeking entity and not focused on education.

The media wanted Trump as President because he would be best for ratings. Full stop.

The rest is history.

They wanted a "horse race". They wanted it to be close but since Trump was such a monster, they put all their time and effort into pumping him up and bringing Clinton down. It backfired on them and now we're all stuck in this hell.

rjinaz

Y'all responding to somebody that just said Trump is still better than Clinton. Not even worth the time. Either politics don't touch him, willfully ignorant, only cares about himself, or trolling, either way there is no discussion there to be had.

Trump definitely got a lot of free press and Clinton was dragged through the mud. The Press wanted Trump from a business perspective, and they are a business. Hell even now from a business perspective they benefit from President Trump. Even Trump calling CNN FAKE NEWS is advertising at the highest level.

The election coverage was the final straw for me. I haven't watched a second of cable news coverage in months. Good riddance, I hope they all go out of business.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

The rest is history.
No, they tried to boost him up during the primaries so he could knock out other Republicans and some just used him for ratings. They tried very hard to stop him during the general, they absolutely hate him. The media might want ratings but most of them except Fox News actually prefer Democrats. Trump's xenophobic talk is extremely bad for business. More people means more ratings. Fox has their own dedicated base so they don't really care right now. This is just my interpretation of the media behaviour during the last election. I really doubt anyone wanted him to be the president.

MogCakes

Media only cares about their bottom line, and I have no doubt there are a good amount of Trump sympathisers who ran those stories.

kmfdmpig

The media being driven by ratings rather than news has been a problem for a long time, and this is one awful side-effect of that.
The media also set the seeds for people to feel that things were so bad that they needed a change. That's something Trump exploited by playing on people's fear of crime even though crime rates were down. The more news media people consume the less informed they are about crime rates, with those who consume the most news being most likely to believe "crime rates are soaring".

I mean, this shouldn't be shocking. Even when Clinton talked policy or had it out there, it was rarely ever picked up. It was emails. For Trump, he was given unlimited airtime and discussion on everything.

The media exists to drum up ratings and confrontation - See: Jeff Zucker at CNN, who treats this as a sports situation. They were not interested in actual responsible policy debate and analysis. They wanted fireworks. Places like CNN were rewarded highly for it. Their ratings went through the roof and money poured in.

The discourse of the US electorate does not allow for responsible and measured policy debate. They want fights and excitement - along with the usual racism, etc.

Instro

We know all this, at least if we had our eyes open during the campaign. The question is, will they do it again.

It's not like they have somehow lost by Trump winning. Ratings for these networks/shows are probably up due to the constant turmoil.

It's not like they have somehow lost by Trump winning. Ratings for these networks/shows are probably up due to the constant turmoil.

Isn't MSNBC competing with Fox News now? Like some of their shows have overtaken Fox primetime. They were a non-factor just a year ago.

MogCakes

They love it. They might act like they're morally conscious amd concerned now that it's convenient to rally against a common foe, but at the end of the day they are thriving off the theatrics of our politicians. They're money grubbing assholes who don't stand for anything but their pockets, just like the rest of big business.

Joni

People who didn't give a shit about US politics knew about Trump. They also knew his slogan "MAGA". They wouldn't know about Clinton.
We knew about Clinton, we aren't idiots so the world's biggest election is covered quite well. And we almost all preferred her, it is why Trump only was preferred by one country.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Oh yeah, the media helped Trump during the campaign, no doubt about it.

Watching CNN play up the email "scandal" and run the video of Hillary almost fainting when she was sick was truly disgusting.

CNN fucking hired people who were still part of Trump's campaign. It was insane.

Lunar15

I said this constantly throughout the election. Trump absolutely dominated headlines. It doesn't really matter if journalists are liberal or not: sensation, not sensibility, sells.

Every time I was in the gym, every TV was showing something about something Trump said. Any time they even MENTIONED Hillary it was in relation to something Trump said or something about her email scandal.

This is how Trump won the primaries as well, it was Trump city and every candidate was cast in the light of how he or she reacted to Trump, never the other way around.

No, they tried to boost him up during the primaries so he could knock out other Republicans and some just used him for ratings. They tried very hard to stop him during the general, they absolutely hate him. The media might want ratings but most of them except Fox News actually prefer Democrats. Trump's xenophobic talk is extremely bad for business. More people means more ratings. Fox has their own dedicated base so they don't really care right now. This is just my interpretation of the media behaviour during the last election. I really doubt anyone wanted him to be the president.

He was xenophobic from day one. He was the same guy as he was early in the primary as he was in the GE.

You can't elevate someone to help them beat a crowded field in a primary then turn around and try and stop it. If someone wins a primary it's a coin flip on whether or not they can win because they'll be one of only two people who can become president at that point.

If they actually have any sort of ethical backbone, they won't boost someone crazy during a primary because everyone else is boring and it's good for ratings. It doesn't matter what they do after that, the damage will already be done

If the media continues to reward crazy candidates with extra coverage we will have a lot more Trump like presidents in the future.

BigDug13

Oh yeah, the media helped Trump during the campaign, no doubt about it.

Watching CNN play up the email "scandal" and run the video of Hillary almost fainting when she was sick was truly disgusting.

This is the timeline CNN wants though. Aren't they cleaning Fox News' clock now in ratings?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
We knew about Clinton, we aren't idiots so the world's biggest election is covered quite well. And we almost all preferred her, it is why Trump only was preferred by one country.

Which is absolutely crazy since the rest of the world was able to see through his bullshit and recognize that Clinton was the vastly superior choice instead of, you know, the actual country he was running for president in.

It drives me maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Ithil

This is all blatantly true, and what's more it makes it even more annoying that Trump and his wretched base pound that "Da mainstream media was against us!" drum nonstop, it was actually a huge part of how he won.

VariantX

Clinton? Of course she will make a better president than Trump. Now what did she say she's going to do again? - Regular people
To add on, if it's Trump, most people knows what he promised, even though it's not very popular. Trump said he's going to build a wall, tear down ACA.
They may not be popular policies, but it's something everyone knows.

Reply to above and below: Well maybe not knowing isn't the right word. Of course everyone would know about the two candidates. But I'm saying, with no evidence, that most regular people wouldn't know what things Clinton promised.

Of course they wouldn't know. Policy was never on the media's agenda as far as 24hr news networks were concerned, scandals and cage matches between pundits on both sides were. It just so happens that the shit Trump promised was scandalous in itself. Building a wall and making another country pay for it?? Extreme vetting? Stupid shit like that will get and fit on headlines way more than a 10 point plan to do anything at all will.

Fury451

Banned
Of course, the guy is a carny at heart and knows how to play up to the cameras, and the media went along with it because everybody thought it was so funny and great for ratings to see such a high profile shit talker running for president, until he started being taken seriously and it stopped being a joke.

By then it was way too late and he had the platform amd the audience that he needed. Funny that he's at war with the media when they are a huge reason for why he's even in office in the first place.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
If there's one thing Trump's good at it's bringing attention to himself. In that regard Clinton didn't stand a chance.

She brought attention to herself just by merely existing. The republican propaganda machine was in full force for decades and ramped up during the primaries and election. To say that the media spotlight wasn't on her, whether it was by her doing or not, is disingenuous. She was covered for all the wrong and right reasons.

Clinton wasn't a victim of the media. C'mon.

The media coverage of Trump was mostly negative.

The "republican smear machine" is the biggest boogeyman there is.

psyfi

Banned
For profit media wants to exploit us as much as any other corporation. Even if it means electing an anti-media white nationalist.

RinsFury

The media coverage of the emails bullshit helped solidify the image of Hillary as corrupt across the country and paved the way for Trump to waltz into the White House. Billions in free coverage for an orange piece of shit that should have been left to just fade away. Fuck the media.

Top Bottom