• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anything wowed you yet this generation?

unlurkified

I know there have been a few similar threads recently, but I guess with this one I’m looking for people’s specific high moments for this gen (to get recommendations) rather than general complaining which is absolutely called for. This gen definitely hasn’t hit as high as previous ones (can anything ever top moments like the MGS2 tanker or Bioshock’s intro?) but there have been a few specific ‘wow’ moments for me:

-A few updates of last gen games have been really impressive. Playing Fallout 4 at 4K60ish with PC ultra settings and a 100 fov on Series X was great. Gears 5 at 4K60 was also awesome. Finally being able to experience open world games like Days Gone at 60fps felt like a new experience for me.

-For current-gen games the list is admittedly short. Moments of Ratchet and Clank (certain vistas like the first main city area of course the era swapping level) and Horizon FW and a lot of Burning Shores were jaw dropping for me.

Anything else I’m missing?

Kupfer

Mostly the Steam Deck.
Wowed me to see how efficient I can play my older games with better performance than on my desktop-computers back then.
Wowed me to see how Valve turned Linux into a console'esque gaming experience.
Wowed me to realize how many great games I would have missed without this device since I would never have played them on a desktop-computer.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The fact that the new iPhone chip can play a resi4 remake game. Though I don’t have a new iPhone.

Also while it isn’t next gen the switch has wowed me a few times. Luigi’s mansion 3, Mario kart 8 Mario wonder and a few of the Nintendo games have wowed me as being able to play them handheld was a wow moment for my me thinking back to in the day with the nes etc to this.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The physics-based mechanics of TotK absolutely wowed me. Not just because it’s somehow running on a decade-old mobile chip, but the fact that you can have limitless modular interactions with virtually no bugs or jank. It’s insane.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
A few updates of last gen games have been really impressive. Playing Fallout 4 at 4K60ish with PC ultra settings and a 100 fov on Series X was great. Gears 5 at 4K60 was also awesome

4k60 on bad looking games:
VWMSPEH.png

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The physics-based mechanics of TotK absolutely wowed me. Not just because it’s somehow running on a decade-old mobile chip, but the fact that you can have limitless modular interactions with virtually no bugs or jank. It’s insane.
Yeah this too. Actually ToTK does have some amazing sunsets in game and a high map.

Speaking of physics doesn’t it also have some insane level of freedom that is putting other AAA devs to shame ?

Last edited:
For me, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart was a real showcase for next-gen visuals, particularly with the ray-tracing and it really felt like a substantial upgrade from what I was seeing on my PC at the time when I still had my NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti. It also helped that the game was an absolute blast to play.

Oddly, since then and with my upgraded PC with a RTX 4080 I have not come across any other game that comes close to the wow-factor of that classic PS5 game although Cyberpunk 2077 v2 with path-tracing comes close, I guess, visually at least.

KàIRóS

Only the boss battles in FFXVI.

But to be fair I kinda knew it would be a super slow start to the gen due to all the cross gen games and insane development costs of modern AAA games and I also know it's only going to get worse.

At least the indie scene keeps the creativity alive in the industry.

I came from PS4 amateur, so anything in 4k looks nice. Possibly in Ratchet&Clank the best since there is a lot going on on screen but also any other game that just looks sharp. I never missed 60fps in the past but with 4k it seems I can't play anymore in 30fps. I always come to select performance mode, since it barely looks different and just feels a lot better.

Proper wow though? I don't know. Metro Exodus, RDR2 on PS4 felt comparatively more impressive than anything I've seen so far on PS5. 4k just eats up a lot, 60 fps as well and RT is a waste of hw budget, the wiggle room for much more seems just to not be there, even though it is a lot better on paper.

Many things improved slightly, probably more than I really notice, but much in the core designs also became more safe and kinda stale.

Last edited:

makaveli60

The only nextgen feeling games to me are Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and Cyberpunk 2077. Despite CP2077 being crossgen, it still feels next. I had a similar feeling with Destiny back then.

Dazraell

A few things:
  • Boss fights in FFXVI, especially the Titan and Omega fights
  • Cyberpunk 2077 after patch 2.0 / Lizzy Wizzy's concert during Phantom Liberty expansion
  • The scale of FFVII Rebirth
  • Exploring Hogwarts castle in Hogwarts Legacy
  • "We Sing" segment in Alan Wake II

Cyberpunk 2077 no loading interiors and next gen dialogue system in first person.
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart portal gameplay.
The sheer amount of content in Final Fantasy Vii Rebirth and Baldurs Gate 3.

Zheph

BG3 and the two FF are deffo pretty sweet picks as mentioned by others
FFXVI is very beautiful and the boss battles are wild rides that are above what GoW could offer imo

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Hearing about a Tropical Storm on the News.
Cutting the broadcast short to boot up Flight Simulator '20.
Using my highschool level geography to hunt down the bitch.
Seeing a bunch of like minded people all doing the same thing.
Actually finding it:

microsoft_flight_simulator_hurricane_laura_01_petri_levalahti_2560.0.jpg

RKP7OKYWCFFCFOXULVWBITEMQI.jpg

BxSte2nL5NzAAp7w6dwwqH.jpg

g68jmpMAHjuCqNvGsV2fTV.jpg

The first time it actually worked I was like wow, thats really really cool.
Its such a meta thing to do.
A storm is happening in real life, so i boot up a digital game to go see a digital representation of whats happeniing in real life.

Last edited:

Holammer

I am easy to please, because I'm still impressed by Switch games (or even pixel art games). The recent Side Order DLC for Splatoon 3 is amazing and puts Returnal to shame. The slick presentation and Agent 8 running back to the elevator after a completed stage gives a satifying spurt of dopamine every time.

Replaying Breath of the Wild right now with CEMU and I still find it more visually satisfying than most recent games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hearing about a Tropical Storm on the news.
Using highschool geography to hunt down the bitch.
Actually finding it:

A storm is happening in real life, so i boot up a digital game to go see a digital representation of whats happeniing in real life.

That is nuts!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hearing about a Tropical Storm on the news.
Using highschool geography to hunt down the bitch.
Actually finding it:

I’m impressed that’s fucking amazing

Elden Ring for game world. Its gaming perfection.

Starfield for space exploration. Need some work in other areas.

Diablo 4 for making build variety work. I am puzzled how this thing works without breaking apart.

Haven’t played a bunch of other games mentioned. Already have TOTK and BG3 which will be playing shortly.

Last edited:

tommib

At the very start of the generation, Demon’s Souls, Returnal and Days Gone with the PS5 patch gave me next-gen butterflies.

But at the end of the day, that Metroid Prime Remaster on Switch is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Hudo

Tears of the Kingdom
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Cyberpunk 2.0
Baldur's Gate III

so pretty much in line with many other wise men in this thread.

Edit: Also Half-Life Alyx, if you count that as this gen.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Cyberpunk 2.0 the lightning makes most games feel last gen.
Valheim, such a amazing looking game and so tiny file size.

Cyberpunkd

Mostly the Steam Deck.
Wowed me to see how efficient I can play my older games with better performance than on my desktop-computers back then.
Wowed me to see how Valve turned Linux into a console'esque gaming experience.
Wowed me to realize how many great games I would have missed without this device since I would never have played them on a desktop-computer.
This.

Steam Deck is a game changer. Valve did more for handheld acceptance and adoption than Nintendo ever did. I play 90% of my time on the SD.

IAmRei

ToTK and Dragon Dogma
Both are open world with different approach. One is wide 3 big verticalityesque open world. And one is surpriseful random event and non linear possibilities approach.

Diddy X

Jump to a better PC + oled Tv is what wowed me, everything looks so pretty and the smoothness I enjoy it a lot.

For example I'm playing Horizon ZD now and runs and looks so good it's such a pleasant experience.

Shifty1897

This. People always complain about buggy games but no one wants to bring up how Tears of the Kingdom pushed gameplay mechanics with basically zero bugs.

Also Final Fantasy 16 (another game with zero bugs) has some of the craziest set pieces I've ever played in a video game. My jaw was on the floor at least 8 times while playing it.

Last edited:

Hudo

Biggest disappointment this gen is that the quality of ERP in MMOs has gone down significantly.

Top Bottom