• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has McDonalds aesthetic become too "sterile"

Jubenhimer

When it comes to quick-serving fast food, McDonalds is the name synonymous with the industry. It may not have been the first, but it was the first to make the quickly made, assembly-line meal of burgers and fries a staple of American culture. But over the years, I've noticed that the general presentation of McDonalds, from the branding style, menu design, and interior of the stores has started to feel less and less like a restaurant, and more akin to an Apple store.

The slick, iPhone-y presentation McDonalds has now just feels jarring clashed against a menu full of Burgers and McNuggets. And in a way, it makes McDonalds' food look less appetizing. I know fast food isn't supposed to be fancy cuisine, but at least when you walk into other chains like Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's, etc., they at least still look and feel like restaurants.

But when I look at McDonalds now, it just doesn't feel like I'm going to a place to eat. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just crazy?

Last edited:

Burnttips

McDonald's has been closed to indoor dinning for over a year now where I'm at. I thought it was like that at all McDonald's. The only thing that seemed to change the last time I was in one was they had the self order kiosks.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
McDonald's is a machine. If it looks like a clean and modern machine, I'm cool with it. I've only stopped by once for breakfast in the last 15 years or so. Looks about the same as usual, but with some TV monitor menus, and a little more stainless steel.

JayK47

Wendy's is the same way. It just doesn't feel very inviting. In the end, I am pretty sure it simply makes it easier to clean everything. I think Culver's still has that inviting feel with padded seating.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Everything has clean lines and modern looks. Those touch screens aren’t really sterile though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
After this I would like to talk about Sears aesthetic. I think they're making a lot of design mistakes as well.

Kenpachii

It changes with time, if they would be the greezy fast food place today they would be bankrupt. They focus now more on hipsters.

Last edited:

Tschumi

You might just live in a good neighbourhood. I've seen plenty of macDs around the world and i wouldn't exactly describe them a "iPhone esque" by and large..

I think MacDonalds is about what it needs to be - extremely robust and hygienic (read: easy to clean/hard for bacteria to gain a foothold in)

xrnzaaas

I don't visit fast food joints, but for me that would be a dealbreaker. I like places with cosy atmosphere to make you feel at home or places with some cool theme.

Prison Mike

Banned
You certainly have to steralise the toilet after eating there.

loop poop GIF by Mauro Gatti

my local mcdonalds hasn't drastically changed over the last 20-30 years. the biggest difference is there are self servce kiosks and a table with tablets for kids. of course it's been updated to look more modern but it's no so offensive to stop me going there. well, i haven't been in a McDonalds for about 2 years now but still go to the drive through.

still the best fast food place to go to. burger king + kfc are trash.

Cyberpunkd

But when I look at McDonalds now, it just doesn't feel like I'm going to a place to eat. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I just crazy?
Hate to break it to you but McDonalds was never a place to eat - they offer a standardised, hygienic food - they sell certainty and certain level of service, in all countries throughout the world you know exactly what you will get if you walk into McDonalds.

GeekyDad

Don't think I've been inside a Micky D's since my kids were little, but it makes sense, at least here in the States. They know most customers still want to consume shit but don't want to feel bad about doing it. Cleaning it up and presenting it like that almost makes it pass as...healthy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That’s the area of McDonald’s that has to improve, terrific food but they got to get some character.
Here’s a beautiful Tbell

taco-bell.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
All the McDonald's out here are relatively fancy. Not going as far to say sterile but the one downtown is three stories with an all glass terrace and garden. Then again, this isn't the U.S.
It's a nice treat every 3 months or so to visit one. Otherwise, I'm not so into fast food.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Thats just modern design I think. Kind of boring
That bbq sauce though. Seriously. That's some great shit. I ordered a 40 nuggets last week when I got high af and drenched those bitches.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I haven't been inside a McDonalds in 15 months. Because they've all been closed here since COVID started.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Heard you guys were talking shit about me...

We used to have neat trains you could sit in, play-parks, proper toys in your happy meals with moving parts. But you idiots vandalised or chocked to death on it all.
I remember a kid at school inviting all of us to a bday at a caboose in grade 2. Not this one, but looks pretty close I thin to the one I was in.

539ca22d20a0a2133e3edba5157f5409.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don’t really follow the OP

About once per month or so I’ll go there and get a couple Big Macs (or 10 piece nugget and Big Mac) and a small fry and it tastes and looks the same as it ever did. They have a super fancy menu where your order pops up on the actual drive thru menu but that’s it.

They used to say “We Love to see you Smile!” but now nobody really smiles at McDonalds. That’s the issue to me.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any pics? I literally haven't seen the inside of a McDonalds in 15 years(not joking).

There's probably a bunch of old-style buildings out there in the world, but this is my experience with McDonald's. They used to be fun and colorful, recognizable and obviously pandering to children and families. Somewhere in the mid to late 2000's they shifted to a new image and look. Modern McDonald's restaurants are boring and proffessional looking, like an office building that's barely trying to look modern and classy. I don't like it. They should bring back the red color scheme, and the Mcdonaldland characters like Ronald and Grimace as well.

Top Bottom