• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony ever said why the PS4 doesn't play CDs?

I don't have CD Player but I have CDs. I rip them to FLAC though. I hate the shitty audio quality of Spotify and iTunes downloads. It might be fine for your latest shitty overly mastered pop tunes from Carly Rae Jepson, but for those of us l33t enough to appreciate quality music, we need a quality lossless audio format to hear it in perfect form.

CD was delivering this long, long ago.

Same. Unfortunately convenience trumps quality the majority of the time.

Wasnt it to push people towards their music streaming service they had available for the PS4?

Pushing people towards music streaming wasn't neccesary. The market was already headed in that direction. It was a cost cutting issue. Whatever cost would have been associated with getting audio CD compatibility, however small (and when you multiply it by the 100 million+ PS4 units Sony is likely to ship this generation, it becomes a lot less tiny) simply wasn't worth the completely non-existent marketshare or mindshare they would lose by not including it.

balohna

I'm thinking of a hypothetical future where I've made enough money to buy a decent sound system. Near future. I don't want to have to buy a CD player or hook up an old console when my PS4, my main media device, is right there. I could just not play CDs, but I like having the option.

I actually didn't know it couldn't play CDs until just now. Pretty lame for a thing with an optical drive in a family of devices with a history of support for the format.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh, I thought you tried it out and that’s how you found out.

What I am saying is this: who the fuck uses CDs anymore? And to make matters even worse: who uses their console as their primary audio player?

Because its not 1999 anymore

I still buy CDs, because I'm the sort of person who likes to own his own library of music and also support the bands I enjoy. Sure, after the first listen I rip and upload the album to Play Music, but I like having the CD there on the shelf.

If PS4 supported Play Music I wouldn't have any issue with this. But it doesn't, and Spotify is not my jam.

Dj Convoy

People can own or play their CD collections until the end of time, but that doesn't mean they should have the expectation that modern devices are going to support it. It's unreasonable.

I dunno. You make it sound unreasonable to expect an optical drive to play optical media. OP's not asking for his PS4 to play vinyl or 8-tracks or Sony mini discs; he's talking about a ubiquitous format standard that has been available for over 30 years and is still being manufactured today. CDs aren't quite dead yet.

As for using a console as a cd player, I do it sometimes on my PS3 when I have an album that has a Dolby 5.1 mix or something along those lines.

I dunno. You make it sound unreasonable to expect an optical drive to play optical media. OP's not asking for his PS4 to play vinyl or 8-tracks or Sony mini discs; he's talking about a ubiquitous format standard that has been available for over 30 years and is still being manufactured today. CDs aren't quite dead yet.

As for using a console as a cd player, I do it sometimes on my PS3 when I have an album that has a Dolby 5.1 mix or something along those lines.

Optical drives don't automatically play every kind of optical media.

I'd imagine they could be a bit mechanically wearing on drives, especially if they're old and covered in dirt or scratches.

I wonder if that's why the PS3 pretty much encouraged you to rip them to the hard drive when you put a CD in.

muteki

It's not like they really need it (see: PS2 support on PS4)

Reading DVDs is much more trivial to the process of making PS2 games playable on PS4. In comparison for PS1 they already have an emulator that they used in the past, that would just need to be ported to PS4 and have it read from the disc drive and suddenly everyone's old collection would be playable on a modern device again.

I don't think they stopped doing it so that they could sell you something like PS2-on-PS4 ports (as they have not been many "PS1-on-PS4-esque" titles) but rather they still have that mindset from early on in the PS3 cycle when PS3 game sales were poor and everyone was playing their old games. They took out PS2 support then so that people would be encouraged to buy new 60 dollar games, not so that they could sell you remasters (though that was nice too).

pswii60

Reading DVDs is much more trivial to the process of making PS2 games playable on PS4. In comparison for PS1 they already have an emulator that they used in the past, that would just need to be ported to PS4 and have it read from the disc drive and suddenly everyone's old collection would be playable on a modern device again.

I don't think they stopped doing it so that they could sell you something like PS2-on-PS4 ports (as they have not been many "PS1-on-PS4-esque" titles) but rather they still have that mindset from early on in the PS3 cycle when PS3 game sales were poor and everyone was playing their old games. They took out PS2 support then so that people would be encouraged to buy new 60 dollar games, not so that they could sell you remasters (though that was nice too).
They took out PS2 BC from PS3 because it was an expensive hardware based solution and they needed to get the BOM cost down on their ludicrously expensive over-engineered console. Nothing to do with software sales.

If you save 50¢ on each optical drive that adds up over time. Also, less complexity and one less point of failure.

When done at scale, I'd bet CD compatibility costs closer to 1¢. Yes, over millions of consoles those pennies add up, but that's a misleading way to look at numbers IMO. 0.001/100 and 10/100,000 are both nearly zero.

Optical drives don't automatically play every kind of optical media.

Perhaps not, I know I haven't tested every drive out there. But I'm pretty sure that the PS4 is the outlier vs. being the norm. And even more so on a high-end product.
But hey, they also sell you a 4K entertainment device that does not play 4K disks, nor do they offer the content in their store.

I think it's safe to say that Sony's ambitions for the PS4 family are a games machine first and foremost, everything else is nowhere near as important.

Freddo

They took out PS2 BC from PS3 because it was an expensive hardware based solution and they needed to get the BOM cost down on their ludicrously expensive over-engineered console. Nothing to do with software sales.
Wrong.
Mr. Tretton conceded that removing that capability, along with a few other features, isn't dramatically reducing Sony's cost of manufacturing the console but will instead encourage buyers of the entry-level PlayStation 3 to purchase more games designed specifically for the new system.

androvsky

not silly, laws of physics
1gY8IOg.png

The different colors aren't required for reading physical pits as long as the wavelength is shorter than the diffraction limit. In other words, a blu-ray laser can read DVD and CD pits perfectly fine, but a CD laser can only read CDs. The blu-ray laser does have the problem of having a much thinner layer on the actual discs so different optics are needed, but DVD and CD are much more similar.

The reason drives have all three lasers is the dyes in recordable discs do tend to be very frequency sensitive, so to read them all three are required. Obviously not a problem for pressed CDs and actual games.

And I'll mention again, the manual included with launch PS4s included a mention of a CD frequency laser.

PS Classics. They want you to buy your PS1 games again from a digital source because is money. Using your old PS1 disc is not business for Sony.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Can't you just rip the CDs and play them from a usb drive?

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/music/usbmusic.html

It's illegal to that in Britain and anyone trying will face the wrath of May and her strom troopers

Focus being strictly a game machine? Even blu-ray isn't really advertised as much with the PS4 as it was with the PS3.

Sony have never pushed their system as a pure gaming machine and that hasn't changed with the PS4.

The only reason why Blu-Ray isn't advertised with the PS4 is because Sony already did that with the PS3.

sibarraz

Banned
If you asked me why any product, from any company, can't play CDs in 2017, I'd give you the same answer: Because audio CDs are a dead format. Put them on the pile with cassette tapes, 8-tracks, laser discs, and yes, VHS tapes.

Yes, they'll continue to manufacture them for years. I understand that.

The last 5 PS4 games that I have bought came with a cd music

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If you asked me why any product, from any company, can't play CDs in 2017, I'd give you the same answer: Because audio CDs are a dead format. Put them on the pile with cassette tapes, 8-tracks, laser discs, and yes, VHS tapes.

Yes, they'll continue to manufacture them for years. I understand that.

It's weird that there's a big store just up the street from me that sells tons of brand new albums on this supposedly dead format. Sure, there are few stores left that do that, and those that do have replaced half (or more) of the CD shelf space with vinyl to ride that wave, but CD is not a dead format. Among music enthusiasts (especially fans of metal and its subgenres) it's alive and well. You really can't compare it with those other formats. There are no stores selling new laserdiscs or VHS tapes.

That said, I understand that the appeal of CD playback on the PS4 would be very limited. So I bought a BD player that does everything (including the even deader formats SACD and DVD-Audio).

People can own or play their CD collections until the end of time, but that doesn't mean they should have the expectation that modern devices are going to support it. It's unreasonable.

The PS3 played c.d.'s and the PS4 plays the same other media (DVD's/Blurays) as the PS3 did, so how is it unreasonable to expect them to play c.d.'s as well?

Some people will just blindly defend these companies no matter the reason. If this doesn't effect you then why would you even care enough to come in this thread and post? It's insane.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Sony's 4K BD player supports it, and I'd call that a modern device. But one that is intended for AV enthusiasts, of course. The PS4 is clearly not, what with it doing neither CD nor 4K BD (in the Pro's case).

Oemenia

Banned
The PS3 played c.d.'s and the PS4 plays the same other media (DVD's/Blurays) as the PS3 did, so how is it unreasonable to expect them to play c.d.'s as well?

Some people will just blindly defend these companies no matter the reason. If this doesn't effect you then why would you even care enough to come in this thread and post? It's insane.
Trust console warriors to tell you to throw away the best quality audio.

Coxy100

Banned
I can’t speak for Sony, but I am sure you’re literally the only person to have ever put an audio CD into a PS4.
Well I make 2 then - I put one having no idea that it wouldn’t play. It was a cd for my daughter. Not had to play a cd for years and then when I needed to I realised I had nothing at home that could play them (was expecting my PS4 to do it though)

Coxy100

Banned
Oh, I thought you tried it out and that’s how you found out.

What I am saying is this: who the fuck uses CDs anymore? And to make matters even worse: who uses their console as their primary audio player?
Can’t stand posts like this. It’s pretty obvious plenty of people still buy cds or else they wouldn’t exist. Stop trying to be all superior.

cakely

It's funny how things change. I remember when I got my Dreamcast and it seemed like everything in my house (my PC, my laptop, my stereo, my alarm clock
heh
, my boombox) could play an audio CD.

Now my MBP doesn't even have a slot for a disc.

AmuroChan

With this logic physical games are a dead format.

Oh wait they are but nobody wants to admit that yet.

It's not about logic. It's statistics. If you look at what percentage of music purchases are digital vs physical, it's a no-brainier why Sony wouldn't spend the extra dollars to support the format in a mass-produced product where every part costs money. Physical copies of games still account for a large chunk of game purchases in 2017. It's nowhere close to the ratio that the music industry is at today.

They took PS2 emulation out of PS3 because high manufacturing cost of PS3 and taking all possible options to make price cut for 2007 holidays. PS2 BC was based on hw emulation during early PS3 life. Launch US and Japan PS3 models had full hw BC (had both PS2 CPU and GPU on the motherboard). For European launch they took out PS2 CPU and so it was partially software based and then in fall 2007 they took that also out and abandoned PS2 BC.

Ieu

Does iTunes disable CD ripping functionality in the UK?

No it’s not.
I was actually going to correct the guy who said it was illegal but reading up on it apparently the UK government made it legal and then the high court made it illegal again. Bizarre. It’s seems like one of those daft old laws no takes notice of anymore, like being able to shoot a Welshman across the English border with a bow after midnight.

firelogic

Excuse me for getting on my soapbox a little bit, but I don't understand this trend in the technology industry where anything that's "old" or "legacy" is inherently bad or inefficient.

Yes, putting a VHS player into a PS4 would be stupid. It would take up too much space and probably increase the cost of the machine a decent amount. Similarly, putting a CD drive in a small, lightweight laptop doesn't make much sense and (in most cases) would clearly make the device worse.

But giving a console THAT ALREADY HAS AN OPTICAL DISC DRIVE the ability to play CD's? That would probably add pennies (or less) to the overall cost of the console. It would take up no additional space and would not make the console any more fragile. So why not support it? Just because CD's are "old"?

Y'know the nice thing about, say, books? I can buy a hardcover book, and I'll be able to read it for the rest of my life. Yes, I know, technology is a lot more complicated than that—but why cut off legacy support where we don't have to?

(Don't even get me started on the headphone jack.)

Adding pennies to an individual console is fine but when you're going to be making 100 million of them, those pennies add up and considering the marketplace even at the time the PS4 launched, who would even use it as an audio player? Of course there's always going to be a subset that do or want to, but it's not worth it.

autoduelist

But giving a console THAT ALREADY HAS AN OPTICAL DISC DRIVE the ability to play CD's? That would probably add pennies (or less) to the overall cost of the console. It would take up no additional space and would not make the console any more fragile. So why not support it? Just because CD's are "old"?

"Pennies or less". Let's call it... what, 2 pennies?

PS4 has sold... what, ~60 million units?

Those pennies add up to $1,200,000. Do you think it's worth over a million dollars so that an extremely small % of people might play a cd in their PS4? More importantly, do you think the -lack- of CD cost them a single sale? Even more importantly, do you think if they spent this additional 1.2 million dollars, do you think anyone who hasn't already bought one would have bought one?

I realize there is some room for 'good will' type additions to a device. But remember, there's always something else people want. You have to draw the line somewhere, and cutting costs like this allowed them to keep a $400 price tag at launch, allow them to drop the price sooner, etc, all of which benefits the end consumer. Sure, they could have included this, and a built in PS3, and a better mic, and.... eventually, the price needs to go up. All in all? I think cutting the ability to play CDs is pretty darn inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Top Bottom