• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony ever said why the PS4 doesn't play CDs?

Lady Gaia

I'm sure they have reliable data regarding how many people played CDs in their PS3, and how much that usage declined over time. I'd be willing to bet it was an easy decision.

Syntsui

Sony needs to get their shit together and focus on getting CD support back on PS5. Fuck retro compatibility, this is unacceptable.

dracula_x

they still sell vinyl records foh
I loved ripping cd's to my ps3's hard drive, it would be cool if I could do that to an external drive on the ps4.

even more – https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jun/29/sony-to-open-vinyl-pressing-factory-in-japan-records :)

What's a CD?

CD + Vinyl – still about >30% of sales.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F840ceff4-4a39-11e7-919a-1e14ce4af89b

→ https://www.ft.com/content/94c5cdb0-4a26-11e7-a3f4-c742b9791d43

pixelation

I miss being able to play CD's on my console of choice (along with a snazzy visualizer... say... what is keeping them from implementing a visualizer for MP3 music?).

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PS3 was a media beast slash baby super computer

PS4 is babbys first console with cheap tablet internals

emag

They don't want to pay the licensing fees for something that a tiny proportion of users would use.

There are no licensing fees for audio CDs. Moreover, all patents related to standard audio CDs expired decades ago.

In short, there's no legal or licensing limitation here, just marketing vs. the [small] technology implementation cost.

Why is it I feel like androvsky is the only person not talking out their ass in here?

Example:

And this was after all of androvsky's posts.

So where's the CD support then? The evidence is that something is required which the PS4 doesn't have to play back CDs.

The point is largely moot anyways. All the soundtracks sold by Square Enix are on Blu-ray Music now.

tsundoku

Why are there always answers like these when someone asks/criticizes something about Sony missing simple stuff?

Games' OST for Sony's own games are released in CD (because the quality is way better than what they sell you in the PS Store) and you can't even play them on their console.

Also I don't get this comment.

You can play the game on the console though.

kyser73

I don't have CD Player but I have CDs. I rip them to FLAC though. I hate the shitty audio quality of Spotify and iTunes downloads. It might be fine for your latest shitty overly mastered pop tunes from Carly Rae Jepson, but for those of us l33t enough to appreciate quality music, we need a quality lossless audio format to hear it in perfect form.

CD was delivering this long, long ago.

As a l33t I assume you’re on valve amps & vinyl then.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Every PS3 will rip your audio CD's to its HDD if you want and run PS1 CD-ROMs from disc. I know it's not a perfect solution, but you should be able to find a brand new PS3 Super Slim for not too much money, perhaps?

PS1 games were coded onto CD's, that's why any PS3 could play a PS1 game regardless whether or not it was backwards compatible or not. Having CD compatibility with the PS4 would allow PS1 games to work on the PS4.

The bolded makes no sense...I assume you mean backwards compatible as in with PS2 games as well, as Sony never removed the PS1 backwards compatibility, it's in every PS3 model.

That doesn't precisely work like that.You'd still need either the hardware (CPU,SPU,etc) of a PS1 or an emulator to play the software (or a mix of both).

There's no PS1 hardware in a PS3, the physical backwards compatibility of PS1 games is all done via emulation, and it's a great feature.

Is the PS4 drive physically capable of reading CD's?

(Believe it or not, BluRay/DVD drive hardware is not inherently backwards compatible.)

I'm no expert but I think a DVD and CD use the same lasers at least, do they not?

The main issue is probably the CD licensing fee, not the disc drive's hardware. Sony obviously does not want to pay such a fee.

RedSwirl

PS3 was a media beast slash baby super computer

PS4 is babbys first console with cheap tablet internals

I agree that the PS3 was and still is a surprisingly great living room media computer. It even has a CD ripper. Most importantly though the PS4 and Xbox One don't even let you store media files on their hard drives. Only advantage the new consoles have is they can play MKVs.

DR2K

Banned
Probably because they don’t want to, not a requested feature, not necessary to be the number one console, would be barely used, could be used to exploit the hardware, not worth the price to license it, no one really uses cds, superior streaming service options, etc...

Lady Gaia

In short, there's no legal or licensing limitation here, just marketing vs. the [small] technology implementation cost.

Even seemingly trivial features take time and resources away from other work. Implementing playback is almost certainly straightforward. Documenting it, testing it, and rounding it out into a useful feature (CDDB support, ripping, the corresponding library management and playlists, playback in game, adding to the test requirements of every game that supports it, etc.) Or they can just realize that it’s going to be used by a tiny minority of their customers and bypass the whole issue.

Honestly, this criticism is just another way to say “lazy developers” the the usual lack of meaningful insight into what shipping a mass-market product looks like.

UncleMeat

Xbox one cd player app sucks though, btw. No screen saver and it doesn't work with the official xbox one media remote which is impressively shitty.

Paragon

#1 backed up my CDs to 320kbps mp3 like 10+ years ago and chucked almost all of them.

#2 There is very, very little evidence that people can identify the difference between a 320k mp3 and Redbook CD, and that isn't even touching AAC or FLAC. I'd stake a large sum of money everyone posting here would fail a double blind test between them - because every time they do a scientific study on it, almost no one can, and when they can (the downsampled hirez audio vs CD study), it is only at ridiculously high decibel levels.
MP3 is lossy and has certain distortions at any bitrate. Another problem with lossy codecs is that most encoders do not reduce the input level before encoding, which can overload the codec and cause further distortions.
If you know what to listen out for, it's absolutely possible to pass blind listening tests comparing 320k MP3 against lossless CD-quality audio.
Basically anything telling you that MP3 or AAC is indistinguishable from CD is marketing sourced from someone trying to sell it to you.

"High resolution audio" vs CD-quality audio is another matter entirely.
The only time you will have statistically significant results is when the test was not set up correctly.
High resolution formats matter for audio production, but not distribution. Audiophiles seem to think that studios are holding something back from them, rather than understanding the reasons why you would use higher bit-depths and sample rates for capture and production than distribution.
There is maybe a case to be made for 24-bit audio files rather than 16-bit in certain audio setups, but there's no need for high sample rates or formats like DSD.

Sony got with the times, now we just need to send the message to all the JRPG devs (and Nintendo) that include a fucking music CD but no MP3 download code with their Collector's Editions. I'm surprised that doesn't piss more people off. I don't think I even have a way to play CDs in my apartment.

MP3s? Sounds like YOU need to get with the time my friend. MP3 is dead.

Glass Joe

Maybe I'm weird but I still buy CDs when the option is there. I don't purchase a ton of music, though. But if the CD album is the same price as iTunes, why not get the physical product and make your own mp3s? I am a collector though, so I enjoy having books/games/music on shelves.

If the PS3 did it, I'm surprised the PS4 doesn't. I've never tried but the option would be nice.

Marakh101

Neo Member
Sony got with the times, now we just need to send the message to all the JRPG devs (and Nintendo) that include a fucking music CD but no MP3 download code with their Collector's Editions. I'm surprised that doesn't piss more people off. I don't think I even have a way to play CDs in my apartment.

To each his own. I couldn't give a crap about Mp3s but I would buy any good OST on CD.

devonodev

I don't have CD Player but I have CDs. I rip them to FLAC though. I hate the shitty audio quality of Spotify and iTunes downloads. It might be fine for your latest shitty overly mastered pop tunes from Carly Rae Jepson, but for those of us l33t enough to appreciate quality music, we need a quality lossless audio format to hear it in perfect form.

CD was delivering this long, long ago.
Lol is this copypasta

Is this the worst first post ever?

For fun I checked the first CD album release date, and VHS tape.

On October 1 1982, Joel's sixth studio album, 52nd Street, was the first commercially released CD album. Which was 35 years ago.

The first theatrical film ever released to the public on VHS was the South Korean drama, The Young Teacher, in 1976. Which was 41 years ago.

Freddo

When the PS5 is released the games and films will have timestamps on them and it will refuse to play stuff that is older than a week. If you try to do it anyway, it will just display a "get on with the times" message. And people will defend it, and think it's a good idea.

Van Bur3n

Seems like a pretty basic standard the product should feature. As someone who still uses CDs for music, I'd appreciate such a feature.

GLAMr

People shitting on CDs are incredibly ignorant. CDs present the greatest combination of audio quality and durability ever offered in a consumer audio format. Ripping your library to MP3 is fine (I have done this too), but unless your library is stored in some kind of redundant array, it is at risk of data degredation or outright loss due to hardware failure. Holding onto those CDs is a great option for backup, portability and is also a legal requirement for enjoying your ripped digital collection.

Yeah, if it reads DVDs fine then the only reason it doesn't work with CDs is Sony won't take a few days to make an app to play them back. Really is kind of bullshit even if you don't care about it. It's the only DVD player I know of that won't play CDs, just really damn strange.

SoulFinger74

Neo Member
The fact that this is an unrecognizable disc in my PS4 is absurd. If the CD is such a dead technology, this should've been a download code. I recognize that it isn't a first-party product (and perhaps CD Project RED simply has a soft spot for the medium), but still ...

witcherCD.JPG

Cheerilee

Same reason cars don't have tape decks anymore

Because I changed my own battery, and the brief power loss tripped the DRM in my tape deck, declaring my tape deck "potentially stolen" and locking it up, requiring me to go into the dealership and pay $50 for them to one-time unlock my tape deck?

Because that's why my car's stereo receiver now plays CDs, and MP3/FLAC through USB memory sticks or my Android phone, but it can no longer play cassette tapes.

When the PS5 is released the games and films will have timestamps on them and it will refuse to play stuff that is older than a week. If you try to do it anyway, it will just display a "get on with the times" message. And people will defend it, and think it's a good idea.

most of these people don't even remember what they wrote 5 minutes ago. it's do whatever and forget. nothing is worth keeping. get with the times. what kind of topic is this anyway? gotta post fast.

Serious question, the PS4 can't play PS1 games bought from the PS store?
I mean the PSP, Vita, PS2 (not sure if hardware or software) and PS3 can...

it can. but rather than turn on the software emulation, they decided to go with the up-res & trophy support that they can sell again. shitty business decision. b/c they can easily do both, same with ps2 classics. ppl have asked for both PS2/PS1 classics repeatedly, because there's more support there as it's just porting the ROMs to work on the software emulation. but it's also not a priority for them whereas the re-releases are. hence why we got FFVII & FFIX.

Cheerilee

Maybe a better question is why would anyone want to play a CD on ones PS4?.

Because the PS4 is hooked up to the living room TV, which is hooked up to the stereo, and (due to the infrequent need to play CDs) the PS4 has the only optical drive currently hooked up to that TV/stereo?

Laughing at how many music enthusiasts here are playing their music collection through their console and TV. What a terrible way to listen to music.

danthefan

Because the PS4 is hooked up to the living room TV, which is hooked up to the stereo, and (due to the infrequent need to play CDs) the PS4 has the only optical drive currently hooked up to that TV/stereo?

Ok. So you can rip all your CDs to a hard drive and play then all from your PS4 without ever having to change disk, or remove the CD to play a game. You have options.

kyser73

Just get over yourselves and buy a cheap $50 CD player if it's that important to you.

Hell, Amazon has 5 disc carousel systems for $150.

Top Bottom