• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony mismanaged the Gran Turismo franchise? If so, why?

This thread makes no sense at all.

GT6 was probably choose a bad release time but GTS is looking good to archive success.

Turning a blind eye also makes no sense at all. This development team should not be immune from criticism just because the games still sell well. GT hasn't held the crown in such a competitive market for quite some time with so many other racers now out there, so we should stop treating them like royalty.

You cannot defend Sony and GT anymore. I understood with GT5 and even 6 given how I actually loved 5, flaws and all but now it's just taking the piss.

Sport isn't made for old school GT fans. They are trying to change up the franchise to appeal to new people and evolve it. Maybe it'll work, maybe it will crash but it's not made for people who loved the last 6 games in its core.

There's no defending their dev time any longer. Sport should've came out in 2015/2016. If anything, 6 should've gotten a remaster in 2015 to pad the time out.

It's a shame but I cancelled my Sport preorder after hearing about the travesty that is the campaign. I wish them the best but racing isn't a genre you get a playstation for anymore. Get yourself an Xbox or PC and you'll be much happier

Best wishes.

border

Yeah, I would have bet $100 that Gran Tursimo 6 was going to get remastered on PS4. Instead they were comfortable letting the franchise remain dormant for years.

Yoshida is the problem, the boss of worldwide studios and director of Polyphony Digital, first he destroyed Sony Europe and now he's going to work on Sony Japan by allowing them to do whatever the fuck they want.

GT will be a dead franchise in five years if somebody doesn't do something and relieve this guy of his duties.

Schnauzer

I honestly don't think the answer is cut and dry. If it still sells a ton, and makes a profit. How exactly is it mismanaged? We won't know until Sport releases.

That being said I have no interest in sport.

I have moved on to more open games. Forza Horizon is now my favorite racing series. I have moved on from just tracks.

I think the games have remained good, but I am also amazed at how much inroads Forza has been able to make onto GT's turf and some of that definitely falls at the feet of decisions Sony have made.

It's nuts that Sport will be the first GT on the PS4 and that there will have been two mainline Forza games on the Xbox One in that time, with major improvements between each one.

Can I also dink Sony for breaking support with so many great racing wheels that worked on PS3?

Auctopus

Like other SCEJ studios, they've given them too much rope because their initial games were such big hits. Now we're at the point where we're receiving an entry in the franchise 4 years later, on a new console that's not even a mainline sequel. I mean, I've played the beta extensively and some parts feel high-quality (some parts don't) but it's still a little disappointing.

In the sense that GT is not currently a competitive brand in the racing genre, perhaps?

Not that GT Sport won't do well, but I do not expect it to have a greater impact on the genre, influencing other developers to change their formulas or to design around/against it.

Top Bottom