• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the game you dreamed of as a kid been made?

I've been wanting the same kind of game for football (soccer). I never understood why nobody tries to capitalize more on the actual drama of the world's most popular sport, where teammates have an actual personality and there's dressing room dismay when someone gets injured before a game. That kind of thing.

Edit: Hahaha, okay whoops you said soccer not American football, my mistake. Replace NFL with FIFA then as I think it still applies, except the last one as PES/Winning Eleven has proven.

---

I don't know if you want a real answer but as a non-football-fan my guess is a few reasons:

NFL/NFLPA wouldn't want anything but glorification of the players, for the most part. I could be wrong. But they would probably be less keen.

EA would never make that game nowadays anyway, as it's not their style.

Nobody buys non-NFL-branded football games at all. Period. Who remembers All-Pro and Blitz the League? It's a miracle the second League got made IMO, and I'm pretty sure League 1 only sold because of the drugs/violence angle.

I used to think about a war game where lots of people could play at the same time and take different roles. Some people could fly the planes, some people could be the soldiers, some could drive tanks. So yeah, Battlefield. Which it turns out I don't actually like.

I'm still waiting for my game where I can take remote control of all my He-Man and other action figures and make them fight in big battles.

REmake perfected everything I wanted from Resident Evil.
MGS3 perfected everything I wanted from MGS1.
FEZ took what I loved from Mario and turned it into something else, surprising me. Hyper Light Drifter did the same for Zelda.
Metroid Prime took Metroid and actually made it beautiful, calmer, and 3D.
Super Mario Maker is exactly what I imagined when I played Mario Music on SNES lol

Maybe I'm easy to please but all those games fulfilled fantasies left to childhood dreams. The FF7 rebomination is surely destroying those same friendly dreams. :p

MK vs SF hasn't been announced yet, still have to wait for another E3 or two.

3D (third person camera controlled) open world mainline Pokémon on consoles, also yet to be announced until the S/M port gets released.

Also still waiting on a Sonic Adventure 3 that lives up to my nostalgia of the first game. The Utopia fangame demo looked great, but no official game that matches it is on the way.

BotW is a good ass version of OoT's 3D nature with the previous game's expansiveness and freedom, so that's one dream met.

aett

Super Mario Galaxy is, in a lot of ways, the Mario game I wanted as a kid (only it doesn't look exactly like Mario World but with space levels).

The game I dreamt of as a teen who loved FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound and was blown away by how "seamless" it felt to go from walking on the world map in FFVII to flying in the airship was, uh, kinda made. Not as a JRPG, but as No Man's Sky. I wanted an RPG in which you could get in your airship, then turn on various levels of rocket boosters to fly around to different planets and space stations within the same star system, and I wanted it to feel completely seamless and massive.

Dungeon Fighter Online is pretty much what I wanted as a kid - My favorite genres were fighting games and RPGs, I was mystified by MMOs like Lineage and Everquest and hoped for MMO games to adopt more genres. If DFO had a better story, it'd be exactly what I wanted. Streets of Rage+Street Fighter vs XMen+Grandia/Lunar+Everquest.

valeu

The game I've always wanted is to be stalked by a serial killer, and have to use my wits to survive. RE7 kind of gave me it, but not exactly. I want to be the main character in a game where I'm stalked throughout my town and can craft crazy weapons and set up elaborate traps to slow them down. Townspeople don't believe me and everywhere I go, people get hurt and die. So much so that the police begin to suspect me. Can Naughty Dog put a small team on this please?

lem0n

Horizon 3 was as close to it as I've seen, I just want that game mixed with the map scale and size of TDU and to include some more normal cars to fool around with.

When I was a kid I played Harpoon and Falcon a lot, and wanted a military strategy game like that, except where you could take over any unit in battle and suddenly be in a vehicle sim-action game. It probably would be unwieldy in practice, but it sure sounded cool at the time.

There was actually a 3D RTS game sort of like this in the 90's that I don't remember now. But it was very limited in scope and on a much smaller strategic scale.

I also wanted to play an third-person action game based on Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets) and still think that could be an amazing premise, but the IP is not well-known enough at this point to ever get attention.

When I played Soul Calibur II I actually dreamt that they made an action-adventure game with those characters... Never played the shovelware that end up being though

Other than that... probably some kind of polished Dragon Ball game that covered the whole story/wasn't a fighting game, gave up on that dream when I quickly learned that most licensed games were mediocre at best. I grew up with N64 stuff, while I'm pleased with most of Nintendo's recent console offerings I always wanted a Zelda game that would be bigger but still have a good balance of dungeon and non-dungeon gameplay, like OOT/MM/even WW did. I also wanted them to expand on the magic meter and giving it more uses instead of simply removing it. I like both Galaxy games but a worthy sequel to Mario 64 should be interesting, no actually I just want a good 3D platformer/adventure in the vein of Banjo Tooie tbh

Also Super Mario RPG 2 pls

Freddo

Around 1993 I started to think how cool it would be to have a fast-paced Mecha action game. Zone of the Enders comes close, but I would like to see larger levels and a more real city feel to it, like chasing another Mecha close to the ground by the streets of Manhattan.or something. On a sunny day, no doom and gloom here, except the destruction and dust clouds you and your enemies may leave behind.

A few laters, 1996 I believe, I started to think how awesome it would be with an open-world cyberpunk game. Needless to say, I'm extremely excited about Cyberpunk 2077 even though there is barely any information available at all.

Ushay

It's yet to come, although CDP came very close.

The best game I experienced (at the time) was Baldurs Gate 2 due to its great character relationships, romances and adventures and how they interact with each other, in some cases leading to them killing each other.

I'm hoping a modern equivalent to this will come in the form of an open world game fantasy setting, but none with the same writing chops and depth as Baldurs Gate 2 came. One day..

Mr.Fox

Nope, i'm still waiting for that 3D Action RPG where I can combo/combine my elemental spells to create new ones, with endless possibilities. A bunch of games actually tried to offer something of this sort before, they never go deep on it, it's always very limited, probably for the sake of balance. The one game that has gone farther into this concept was Magicka, but I didn't really like it.

Smash Bros. on a portable device.

I've wanted it for many, many years and it finally happened.

I do play Smash 4 more on Wii U, but I do play on the 3DS from time to time.

UO was the same for me and nothing has come close, though botw has a feeling for me that's reminiscent, I think mostly to how big and worldly things feel. I do hope someone tries a UO model again. It's a great social experiment to boot. I think while things would be bad they would be better balanced in regards to player relations.

Thanks for this response. I'm glad you said that, BOTW reminded me of UO too, but I couldn't really quantify why.

lumzi23

I think one game I wished for was a hyper realistic Mario game with ultra real characters. That of course is ridiculous, plus I imagine Mario was just a stand in, so given the ever increasing realism of games, that particular desire has been fulfilled partially.

w3bba

Smash 4 is damn close to a dream game i could have had as a child, especially all those guest characters so good.

Neolombax

Lost Planet 2 came pretty close. Say what you will about that game, but I played the shit out of it. Hell I even managed to finish the game solo before the devs decided to nerf the difficulty (pretty proud that I managed to solo that worm monster on chapter 3). Big ass guns, cool looking mechas with anime-ish action, giant monsters.

Titanfall. The original, not Titanfall 2. Super soldiers who run on walls, crossing rooftops and zipping across maps at high speeds? It was awesome. Throw in the giant robots and a dash of immersion with hopping into them, and I was in love.

There's too much that changed in the sequel that I wasn't a fan of, like the 3rd person Titan transitions and terminations. The maps overall were a lot worse, too. I still enjoy it, but some of the charm in the multiplayer was lost.

No, still waiting on a RPG fighting game with a Pokemon inspired overworld and gyms combined with a fighting engine like Tekken and RPG like stats and progression like something from a Wrestling/UFC game.

Is that too hard to do?
Probably yes.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
No, i thought that high quality hi res sprite based 80s-90s like 2d games would have been widespread, instead they aren't, also i still want a Might & Magic VI remake or sequel(X isn't like VI ).

One thing i got is a handheld pc(the gpd win).

Danneee

GTA 4+5

Used to play split screen and open world driving games with friend and we made our own police chases and stunts. There wasn't much to choose from though, Vette and Big Red Racing comes to mind.

Jedi knight 2 online multiplayer was that game for me. It was my dream come true when it came out. Pitch perfect strategic lightsaber combat and great shooting and force mechanics in extremely creative modes with an excellent clan and mod community. Nothing has come even close since, it's like chasing the dragon for me when it comes to online experiences.

Joohanh

Playing 90's RPG's, I always dreamed of a game where the combat would be based on immediate player input and skill. I thought it wasn't possible, but now we have boatloads of such games. <3

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Breath of the Wild is pretty much exactly the 3D Zelda I've been dreaming of since I first saw screenshots of OoT before it was released.

Other than that, I used to have crazy dreams about games where you could basically do anything. If you found a video game in the game you could play it, you could enter any house, etc, etc. Basically an Everything Simulator. The Matrix. Hasn't quite happened. Some games have done some parts of it though.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
City of Heroes

If you ever thought super heroes were cool or dreamed of being one as a kid, that is (was) the fucking game for you.

Top Bottom