• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the game you dreamed of as a kid been made?

sn00zer

I always wanted an action game with monsters and settings that were a cool as JRPGs. It was the sole reason I was so excited for Versus 13 when it was announced. I flipped through so many FF guides looking at the awesome monsters and cities and was disappointed fighting fairly generic enemies in generic settings in action games (DMC1 not withstanding). While I havent played FFXV yet, Bloodborne took that title quite easily. Some badass monsters and some damn decent action mechanics.

I still want that FF game with action combat, but the kid in me is pretty satisfied.

So did the game you always wanted as a kid come out?

egocrata

Banned
Quite a few times.

Infinite Space for the DS.
X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, PC
Grand Theft Auto III
Transport Tycoon Deluxe (or even better, Open TTD)
Combat Mission (the whole series)

Talha

A remake of Crash Bandicoot, can't believe it's happening, also a sequel to the series in the same Style of the first Three would be amazing.

YaBish

No. The game I wanted as a kid was a basketball Sim with an offcourt story with actual depth that tackled being a celebrity, a season cycle where every day matters and you can choose to do a bunch of stuff with your time, and rpg elements.

So think Persona (minus the supernatural/high school aspect) meets NBA 2K.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Still waiting on a Pokémon MMO :(

Opa-Pa

"Smash but with Mega Man in it" yup, thanks a lot Ninty!

I also dreamed with a bigger, 3D River City Ransom and recently discovered that it's been out there for a while. Yakuza series is a blessing and a treasure.

I think Persona is that for me. A JRPG with meaningful choice in a real-world, down-to-earth setting. As a kid, I would fleetingly imagine my friends were NPCs in the game of my life. Persona nails that, and what happens when friends are faced with extraordinary circumstances.

Kashin

Neo Member
No. The game I wanted as a kid was a basketball Sim with an offcourt story with actual depth that tackled being a celebrity, a season cycle where every day matters and you can choose to do a bunch of stuff with your time, and rpg elements.

So think Persona (minus the supernatural/high school aspect) meets NBA 2K.

I've been wanting the same kind of game for football (soccer). I never understood why nobody tries to capitalize more on the actual drama of the world's most popular sport, where teammates have an actual personality and there's dressing room dismay when someone gets injured before a game. That kind of thing.

BRYCKER

Odd one out here, but the Prototype games are my answer. I remember the 1st game with all its "quirks" being pretty damn fun.

Stopdoor

Nah, not really, because as a kid it seemed silly to limit my imagination to anything less than multiple planets with the level of detail of GTA-like worlds.

Undertale is a decent effort at some fourth-wall breaking ideas though.

Nintenleo

Breath of the Wild and the first half of Final Fantasy XV is totally what I was dreaming about the Zelda and FF series when I was a kid.

Link fighting enemies in many cool ways in a huge Hyrule and a cool kid in search of a crystal in a modern vast world.

I wanted a game that looks like a cartoon. Not been made yet, though Wind Waker got some of the expressiveness and Wario Land: The Shake Dimension did characters really well.

Cuphead looks like it'll come close.

Crayon

hqdefault.jpg

I think maybe. I haven't got around to playing it yet.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
In many ways Witcher 3 I guess. Although it's just one of my "dream games" and of course between reality and imagination it's not a 100% but the core of that game came incredibly close to what I would want out of my fantasy RPGs.

It's not quite there yet. But Breath of the Wild is the closest any game ever came to my childhood dreams. In terms of gameplay and narrative coming together, it's probably the most emotionally diverse single player game I've gotten the pleasure of experiencing.

Horizon comes pretty close, but it's not quite Thundercats.

No Man's Sky definitely got REALLY close but needs jobs/objectives.

And my dream "be a dinosaur in their natural environment" game is coming in the form of Saurian which I've backed on kickstarter but is held back by not being on consoles and being limited scope-wise because of the nature of its development (crowd-funding, non AAA etc).

We're getting close.

Maniel

Banned
Nope, and it will has only gotten more difficult to achieve over time. My dream game as a child was a pokemon game with all of the regions in one cart. Pokemon G/S/C did do this, but this dream started when I was playing Ruby and Sapphire.

Yes, The Witcher 3. While playing it I was struck by how much it was the game I always dreamed about playing ever since I first moved sprites across a screen in Ultima V and The Legend of Zelda - a massive, full-fledged fantasy world with an incredible story and a true sense of adventure and accomplishment.

Ocarina of Time gave me similar vibes when it came out, but The Witcher 3's excellent writing really solidified it in my head as "that" game I'd always wanted to play.

most likely, bloodborne, a victorian, lovecraftian nightmare. read tons of pulp as a kid, &, from the moment you first overlook yharnam, it was, for me, everything i'd ever wanted in a game. still makes me smile to think of it :) ...

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Mostly yes, Killer Instinct 3. Though some of what I wanted from the game didn't exactly pan out how I wanted but there's always updates/sequels.

Top Bottom