• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the game you dreamed of as a kid been made?

DiscoJer

My dream game as a kid was something like Elite set in the Star Wars universe. The X-wing/Tie fighter games nailed the flying experience, but not the open universe sandbox part.

I actually tried making this myself using a text adventure game language. You could fly around different worlds, buy/sell cargo and visit the starports. Only had about a dozen worlds, but I thought it was pretty neat.

JordanN

Banned
Starcraft Ghost

xBbapos.jpg

RedFury

Nope still waiting. It's a combination of Monster Hunter and Horizon:ZD. A good competent open LIVING world with good story, RPG choices, etc. but keep MH gameplay. The online multiplayer component can keep its mission structure.

Xenoblade Chronicles X with it's open world, no limits exploration in a mech was pretty damn close. Takes forever to get the flight module but once I did it was worth it. Otherwise not really.

As someone who grew up playing hard games like Ghost N Goblins Dark Souls did everything i ever wanted and more.

The feeling of finally making it through Sen's Fortress (including fighting off pesky invaders) or getting by the Silver Knight Archers in Anor Lando was as good as gaming gets.

VR MMO in the style of .hack or SAO.

Honestly, why did we never get a .hack MMO (outside of Japan)?

And I don't mean the neural-hijack kind of VR that's present in the shows. Just light-field tech-based VR is fine. Why isn't it a thing yet? I haven't even heard of one being in development.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but the industry apparently doesn't think so.

Not really, gta 5 online (at first) was somewhat going the right way but then the SHARKCARDS GIVE US MORE MONEY Rockstar mindset fucked it up.

IC5

Snake Eater. Having to sneak your way up to a base. And then sneak into and through the base. Lots of cool gameplay elements in the mix.

Bad Company 1 single player, toyed with that idea, too. Plus, it had the destruction aspect. Which I think most kids think about.

DirtyLarry

I have actually written about this very topic on these very forums...

It is very safe to say Uncharted is the game of my dreams as a kid, and this is entirely based on the fact that one of the first games I truly cite as me being enamored by video games are Pitfall on the Atari 2600. I actually beat it at the age of 5. That was pretty much all she wrote for me and my love affair with video games commenced.

So to play Uncharted for the first time, it was as if everything had came full circle, and I was playing Pitfall again, but this time Pitfall Harry was Nathan Drake.

psyfi

Banned
I've been dreaming about an open world 3D Zelda since I first saw screen shots of Ocarina of Time in like 1997. OOT was cool, but it didn't even come close to what I was imagining. It was too sectioned off and artificial feeling. BOTW is pretty much that dream game, the only thing it needs is
proper dungeons
hidden away discreetly across the land.

JustinBB7

Yes, The Witcher 3. While playing it I was struck by how much it was the game I always dreamed about playing ever since I first moved sprites across a screen in Ultima V and The Legend of Zelda - a massive, full-fledged fantasy world with an incredible story and a true sense of adventure and accomplishment.

Ocarina of Time gave me similar vibes when it came out, but The Witcher 3's excellent writing really solidified it in my head as "that" game I'd always wanted to play.

Exactly this. OoT was my fav game of all time, until the Witcher 3 came out.

Every time someone comes close my dreams it doesn't happen.

Armored Core has come close a few times.

Hawken is a dead game.

I got some more mech games coming...maybe.

Not yet, but when Shenmue 3 launches it will have.

As for games I didn't know existed but wanted to, SuperHot VR is probably that.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Jurassic Park VR or GTA where you could even run around and do shit in your own town.

Neither have been done but I think some kind of Jurassic Park type VR game is an eventuality

tootie923

The closest for me would be Mass Effect 2, in terms of Star Trek: TNG-type of subject matter. Uncharted 2 for ancient lost city/action adventure content.

orborborb

there were two dream games:

one was pretty much Risen

the other was Metroid NES in a 3d block world like Minecraft). Eldritch has some similarities.

Final Fantasy XI really came close. It felt just as magical as I had imaged for years up to its release, and for a long time, it felt like that dream of working together with a party of real people towards a goal actually worked. Until games like WoW fucked it up for all of us, and the mass market ruined MMOs for those who liked working with other people.

Trickster

Hopefully Cyperpunk 2077 will be it.

cyberpunk genre - check
rpg - check
Great story and sidequests - if they nail this. then its my dream game

mokeyjoe

No Man's Sky most probably. Although I still have a wishlist for the game and it's future updates, the basic planet-space-planet gameplay is definitely something I used to imagine being possible one day.

And, maybe not as a kid as much as a young adult, but both Red Dead Redemption and Doom 2016 were both games I used to daydream about but didn't think I'd see anyone make.

AmyS

I will say this.

The arcade that I often dreamed about as a teenager became a reality some years ago, and it hasn't stopped growing with more games being added all the time.
That arcade is the Galloping Ghost in Brookfield Illinois, just west of Chicago. Easily the best arcade I've ever been too, and surpasses all my dreams.

As for games, I would say that Pulstar on the Neo Geo is my dream R-Type remake.

Zukkoyaki

Not quite. I have two dream games that have yet to materialize:

Basically a samurai version of Red Dead Redemption with great melee combat

A truly amazing kaiju game. Something like a bigger and better version of War of the Monsters on PS2.

13ruce

Banned
Breath of the Wild and a few more Zelda games, Mario Galaxy games Metal Gear Solid 3, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Smash Bros., Bloodborne and the Castlevania/Metroid Metroidvania games and finally Kingdom Hearts the disney/rpg mix is just perfect and magical af.

Those are all my dream like games.

Why Zelda games (With Wind Waker TP and BotW, Minish Cap and MM at top)
They have such a magical charm and world it feels like you play a fairy tale/Legend instead of reading or watching it wich is so goooooood the games have such a good charm and the puzzles/dungeons/adventures/stories are amazing.
And i love folklore/fairytales/legends.
And then Breath of the Wild happened..... My dream Zelda game. Epic well crafted open world check, open adventure check, cool enemy design yup. I am nearing 150 hours and i still wanna play normaly i just beat the mean story in Zelda games when i 100%ed them but this game i just wanna explore and explore and create my own adventures day to day. Even with the whole map etc unlocked. And i can't wait for the story dlc + hard mode and cave of trials:)

Why Metal Gear Solid 3.
I always had something with James Bond and Soldiers Metal Gear Solid games feel like a perfect mix of serioisness and sillyness. I always wanted the perfect James Bond/Soldier mix game and MGS 3 delivers that the best. MGS 2 comes really close but that game is more of a mindfuckery but i loved it to death.

Why Kingdom Hearts games:
I always had a hard on for Disney as a kid films like the Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan etc melted my heart and the awesome movies like Pirates of the Caribean were just epic. A Disney like RPG with so mich charm is so good yes the story is lolworthy but the games are so magical and i always wanted a good disney rpg game.

Why the Mario Galaxy games.
Always loved playing Mario but since i got older i wanted more challenge the new super mario bros games were way too easy imo still good. So that's when i hoped that their would be a challenging and epic Mario game again like the older games and boy did the galaxy games deliver the even knock out Mario World and 64 out of the park for me. The level design is insane and the challenge is perfect.

Metroid Prime games:
Well these are just perfection i adore alien and space stuff and the isolation of being a lone bounty hunter on a planet infested with monsters and ofcourse the scary af metroids.
All three games are fantastic imo.

The Super Smash Bros games:
I always thought it would be cool to have a Nintendo fighting game(it already was there but i never knew). I was a kid a friend came over with Super Smash Bros Melee. He started it up and i choose my character then i saw it we fighted against each other with freaking Nintendo Characters omg that's awesome and something i always wanted. That moment was so awesome.

The Metroidvania games:
It's something i never knew i wanted but when i lended Castlevania Circle of the Moon from a friend as a kid, i had such a blast and wanted more to my amazement i found out later in live that there are a whole lot of them even ones in the Metroid franchise so yeah that pretty mich made me bery happy enjoyed them all.

Bloodborne:
While i loved Castlevania lords of shadow it still had some things missing imo it was a very good game yeah but not how i imagined modern Castlevania to be. Bloodborne filled that gap and more omg that game was so good i rocked the whip cane the whole game and had the blast of my life. The gothic setting the creepy bosses and heck castle cainhurst (if i spelled it right) awesome as fuck.

I think i explained them all:)

Kaizer

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn gets PRETTY close, always wanted a massive open-world game for the Zoids anime series, so it was a dream come true when it was initially unveiled.

Nope.

I still want a game in the Harry Potter universe where you create your own character and are able to go to Hogwarts through all 4 years with the classes taking the focus with maybe some side plots to mix things up a bit. End the game with graduation with how well you did determining what your future career will be. A fully explorable full sized hogwarts castle, maybe a bit of student drama here and there, reading about the world and learning about creatures, etc...

It's the only thing I've ever wanted. It's guaranteed to sale gangbusters if done right. Yet EA holds the rights if I recall, so fuck ever getting it.

Maxinas

Nope.

I still want a game in the Harry Potter universe where you create your own character and are able to go to Hogwarts through all 4 years with the classes taking the focus with maybe some side plots to mix things up a bit. End the game with graduation with how well you did determining what your future career will be. A fully explorable full sized hogwarts castle, maybe a bit of student drama here and there, reading about the world and learning about creatures, etc...

It's the only thing I've ever wanted. It's guaranteed to sale gangbusters if done right. Yet EA holds the rights if I recall, so fuck ever getting it.

Persona: You're a Wizard Edition?

Involves VR and requires a ridiculous budget visually so hasn't been made yet. Basically full body tracking+persistent online world+tons of dynamic interactions and deep crafting system. Give it 10 years and maybe something like this can be done, meaning if the market can support it. I basically want a Mass Effect style mmo, smooth planet to space transition a la NMS, but with a much more sophisticated implementation of procedural generation to make planets and exploring them with friends more interesting.

Actually kinda yes..

i used to dream of an open sandbox assassination kind of game and titled it 'Total Assassination'.

And then game got released last year as 'Hitman'.

Top Bottom