• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there ever been a better lineup in the first half of a year?

lawnchair

Banned
2010:

Bayonetta
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Nier
Super Street Fighter IV
Mega Man 10
Transformers: War for Cybertron
Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing
Red Dead Redemption
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Heavy Rain
Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver

I don't know if there's ever been a bad year for games. Games are fun and come out of the wazoo like clockwork. There's always something for everyone, all the time.

if this list is accurate then yeah, there you go.

Bl@de

It has Persona, Resident Evil and Dark Souls (DLC, but still...). That's all I need for a fantastic year. And that's just up to April.

HotHamBoy

2010:

Bayonetta
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Nier
Super Street Fighter IV
Mega Man 10

Red Dead Redemption
Heavy Rain

I don't know if there's ever been a bad year for games. Games are fun and come out of the wazoo like clockwork. There's always something for everyone, all the time.

The bolded stuff is pretty meh but otherwise this list is pretty strong.

More for first half of 2017:

Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ys Origin
Fire Emblem Echoes
South Park the Fractured But Whole
Mario Sports Superstars (im personally hyped)
Injustice 2
Tekken 7 (June 2, close enough)

2010:

Bayonetta
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Nier
Super Street Fighter IV
Mega Man 10
Red Dead Redemption
Heavy Rain

Very strong list.

2012 wasn't super good...

I'm actually wondering what there's going to be for the end of the year. Super Mario Odyssey, and I suppose Shadow of Wardor has just been announced, but I don't know what else there'll be. RDR2's going to slip to 2018, of course, so maybe the end of 2017 will be a nice quiet time to finish all the games from earlier in the year :p

Davide

Can't judge Zelda, Horizon, or Mass Effect yet but while this year looks like it will be great I doubt this is the best.

2010 had Mass Effect 2, Super Mario Galaxy, and Red Dead Redemption, all games deserving of the GOTY that year.

2015 had Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, as well as Splatoon.

And just last year had Uncharted 4, Doom, and Dark Souls III. For now I'd say the best lineup for the first half goes to 2010 if not 2015.

2012 wasn't super good...

I mean I can't speak at all for AAA but there were a ton of amazing games I loved or had real cult followings from 2012.

Kid Icarus: Uprising
Gravity Rush

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Dragon's Dogma
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Asura's Wrath
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Persona 4 Golden
Skullgirls
Pokemon Black 2 and White 2
New Super Mario Bros. U (from pure gameplay, it really is amazing - really got dragged down by its proximity to NSMB2 and not being different enough aesthetically, tonally, etc.)

Three great Japanese games that don't often get counted due to their delayed localizations so I'm just throwing them in as bonuses:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Yakuza 5

The bolded are games I wouldn't hesitate at all to put in my personal favourites of all time.

EDIT: There were some nice re-releases for cult games too...

NiGHTs HD
Okami HD
Zone of the Enders HD Collection

Shame Sega had a bunch of PSN re-releases they didn't localize. I was bummed Virtual On was Japan-only since I'd have loved to try it, but hey, we still got Virtua Fighter 2, Sonic the Fighters, and Fighters Megamix.

Compbros

Resident Evil 7
Gravity Rush 2
Nioh
Yakuza 0
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Ghost Recon Wildlands
Persona 5
PREY
Nier Automata
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
For Honor
Mass Effect Andromeda
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Halo Wars 2
Digimon World Next Order

Injustice 2, Tales of Berseria, Danganronpa 1+2 reload, Parappa, Crash, Dirt 4, Yookah-Laylee, Dragon Quest Heroes II.

jambo

1999 son

Might and Magic VII
Super Smash Bros
Silent Hill
SimCity 3000
Final Fantasy VIII
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
Need for Speed: High Stakes
EverQuest
Pokémon Snap
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Team Fortress Classic
Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast
Aliens versus Predator
Midtown Madness
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Ape Escape
Counter-Strike
Descent 3
Driver
Dungeon Keeper 2

1998 was pretty great too

Marvel vs. Capcom
Resident Evil 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Gex: Enter the Gecko
Xenogears
Yoshi's Story
Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War
StarCraft
1080° Snowboarding
Gran Turismo
Unreal
Banjo-Kazooie

AniHawk

1998 is the goat year, but i think 2017 may actually be its first real contender.

2010 was close though. it was a year that kind of petered off in the second half where 2017 still has big stuff landing throughout. 2017 is fucking crazy.

Safe to say this is the best year of gaming for this current gen already?

I feel like there's too much we don't know about the second half of the year which gives me pause. I keep getting worried this year might be more front-loaded, but it seems like publishers have been starting to catch onto the shorter announce -> release cycle so maybe there are just plenty of secrets still in the sleeve. So far I'd say 2016 has been the best in terms of sheer quantity AND quality, but if Q3/Q4 goes well then yeah, it'd be a tight competition.

A bad first half? There probably was somewhere.

At risk of getting lynched, now that I refresh my memory I really didn't care for H1 2013 at all. Almost nothing to my personal taste. Metal Gear Rising and Lego City are the only things that jump out at me.

Haven't played Last of Us for myself yet, but looking over the list on Wikipedia, maaaaaaaan is it weak. Second half wasn't great either but at least I could name an decent handful of games I liked.

Can't judge Zelda, Horizon, or Mass Effect yet but while this year looks like it will be great I doubt this is the best.

2010 had Mass Effect 2, Super Mario Galaxy, and Red Dead Redemption, all games deserving of the GOTY that year.

2015 had Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, as well as Splatoon.

And just last year had Uncharted 4, Doom, and Dark Souls III. For now I'd say the best lineup for the first half goes to 2010 if not 2015.

Exactly. 2010 is easily better IMO due to 3 absolutely incredible, generation defining games.

2015 was incredible with Bloodborne and Witcher 3 (one of the best ever games)

2016 was super strong with Uncharted 4, DOOM, Ratchet & Clank, etc.

I totally agree that we're off to a very strong start. But January through June has been very strong for many years now. People still seem surprised every year.

I'm not into 90% of Japanese games so that probably takes away from the start of this year for me compared to others.

Mandoric

Banned
There was some amazing stuff back before the business cycle solidified so far.

'90, say: Adventures of Lolo 2, Super C, Dragon Warrior IV, Ninja Gaiden 2, Crystalis, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy III, After Burner II, Assault Suit Leynos, Phantasy Star III, Columns, Gargoyle's Quest, and Splatterhouse by Japanese release; A Boy and His Blob, Clash at Demonhead, Double Dragon II, River City Ransom, NES Batman, Super Mario Brothers 3, Adventures of Lolo 2, Snake's Revenge, Super C, Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden II, Chip 'n' Dale, Solstice, After Burner II, Columns, Klax, and Splatterhouse by US.

Or maybe 1995? By Japanese dates, Toshinden, Kileak, Tekken, Ace Combat, Arc the Lad, Mario's Picross, Kirby's Dream Land 2, Ristar, Knuckles Chaotix, Front Mission, Lufia II, Chrono Trigger, Mega Man 7, the Megami Tensei remake, Super Bomberman 3, Simcity 2000, Langrisser, Panzer Dragoon, Daytona USA, Fatal Fury III, Puzzle Bobble, and D, plus Darkstalkers, Street Fighter Alpha, and Virtua Fighter Remix in arcades.

2000? A global look this time because release date recordkeeping finally existed in the west by this point; Kirby 64, F-Zero X Expansion Kit, Majora's Mask, Vagrant Story, Mega Man Legends 2, Breath of Fire IV, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, MediEvil 2, Resident Evil Survivor, Ridge Racer V, Tekken Tag Tournament, Dead or Alive 2, Crazy Taxi, Code: Veronica, Typing of the Dead, KoF '99 Evo, MvC2, Power Stone 2, Samba de Amigo, SFIII 3rd Strike, Jet Set Radio, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Rayman 2, Mark of the Wolves, Metal Slug 3, Wario Land 3, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, Shogun: Total War, Thief II, and Icewind Dale.

2005? Forza, Jade Empire, Doom 3, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Metal Slug 4, Metal Slug 5, Resident Evil 4, Star Fox: Assault, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Killer 7, Chibi-Robo, Another Century's Episode, Radiata Stories, Devil May Cry 3, Taiko Drum Master, Shining Force Neo, Wild Arms 4, Tekken 5, Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, Namco x Capcom, Drakengard 2, God of War, Digital Devil Saga 2, Meteos, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Nintendogs, Trauma Center, Advance Wars: Dual Strike, Brain Age、Battlefield 2, and Guild Wars.

And those are fairly closely-trimmed lists, not counting late ports like P5, MK8, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Yakuza 0 or many licenced games like Digimon.

Lagamorph

The bolded stuff is pretty meh but otherwise this list is pretty strong.

More for first half of 2017:

Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ys Origin
Fire Emblem Echoes
South Park the Fractured But Whole
Mario Sports Superstars (im personally hyped)
Injustice 2
Tekken 7 (June 2, close enough)
South Park has been delayed.
Now coming "before April 2018"

RossoneR

Banned
2010:

Bayonetta
Mass Effect 2
Bioshock 2
Final Fantasy XIII
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Tatsunoko VS Capcom
Nier
Super Street Fighter IV
Mega Man 10
Red Dead Redemption
Heavy Rain

Also God of war 3 was relesed in march of 2010. 2017 is great i just hope second part ll be great.

Dont remember release dates but overall 2007:
Uncharted
Bioshock
Portal
Cod4
Mass effect
A. Creed
Mario galaxy
the Witcher
Crysis
Team fortress 2
Hald life 2 ep.2
World in conflict
Company of heroes
Burning crusade
Medieval 2 kingdoms
Stalker chernobyl
Halo 3
Metro prime 3
God of war 2
GR advanced war.2
ratchet: tools of destr.

Exactly. 2010 is easily better IMO due to 3 absolutely incredible, generation defining games.

2015 was incredible with Bloodborne and Witcher 3 (one of the best ever games)

2016 was super strong with Uncharted 4, DOOM, Ratchet & Clank, etc.

I totally agree that we're off to a very strong start. But January through June has been very strong for many years now. People still seem surprised every year.

I'm not into 90% of Japanese games so that probably takes away from the start of this year for me compared to others.

I agree that this gen is going strong for three years now, but not sure I agree that 2010 is better. At least not if Zelda is as good as EDGE and others are saying. Add Horizon, Resi 7, Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Persona 5 and Nioh, and you have one hell of a line-up. Mass Effect is a bit of a wildcard at the moment.

As for the rest of a year as a whole, I'm curious to see what the 2nd half of the year has to offer. Will RDR2 come out this year? Will Mario be as spectacular as Zelda? Are there surprises on the horizon?

sfried

Nintendo is killing it.
Fix'd for ya bud.

In any case, it looks like it's going to be a full year in terms of releases, although would appreciate if there were one or two surprise new announcements at E3 that say a game is coming later this year. That barely happens anymore with titles being announced years in advance.

Rob2K19

Nope. Because there's two Kingdom Hearts collections releasing 2 months apart from each other. KH 2.8 (All hail 0.2 BBS) and 1.5+2.5.

I agree it's a pretty packed lineup. The best ever? Who knows, some of the biggest games on that list arent out and we haven't got our hands on yet. Also, I kind of feel hindsight and nostalgia tend to play a big part in best evers. Will need to see in a few years. In the moment though, it definitely is an exciting time to be gaming.

Gotta give MS some love. Heard it was quite good. Better than the first?

I'm enjoying the campaign more than the first one, but it's honestly been years since I looked at the first game. Yet to delve into the Mp!

Floody

Fix'd for ya bud.

In any case, it looks like it's going to be a full year in terms of releases, although would appreciate if there were one or two surprise new announcements at E3 that say a game is coming later this year. That barely happens anymore with titles being announced years in advance.

How did you fix it for him? Sony are absolutely killing, looking at the list you'd think they were the one releasing the new console.

Fix'd for ya bud.

Killing what... my wallet just to play Zelda. Lol

Seriously. I am, it did.

Desmond

I've said this in a few threads, but I think it's cheating a bit to include games that have been released for some time(Yakuza and P5).

For example, if older classics like RE4 got ported to the Switch, would we be including it too?

Easily the best in terms of how far back I can remember. You know it's good when your skipping great games because there's too many. Will get to Nioh re7 gr2 and zelda in the future.

Fbh

Not for me.

Can't remember another time where within so little time there were so many games I wanted to play.

Playing NiOH right now, still have to get Horizon, Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 , by the time I'm done with only one of those Nier Automata and Persona 5 will also be out.
And if I end getting a Switch you also have to add Zelda.

Cloukyo

Banned
2017 reminded me why I liked gaming. I was getting tired of it and mostly playing older games and japanese games on my Vita. Then I played FFXV and again decided I was done with caring about games because of how boring it was.

Then I played Yakuza 0, and played the Nier demo, and saw the Zelda trailer.

Yakuza is genuinely one of the best gaming experiences I've had in ages, platinum is one of my favourite developers, and Zelda is one of my favourite franchises. It's a good time to be into games.

ramparter

Banned
While these threads happen every year because people buy into whatever short term hype I'm more relieved this isn't a Switch lineup thread.
Maybe but, even though I've bought nothing released in 2017 yet, it seems to me that it's the strongest start I've witnessed.

Zedark

Why is everyone sleeping on Tales of Berseria? It's great! :(

OT: It really is an amazing half year. I am absolutely drowning in games to play!

SomTervo

First half of 2015 was pretty insane for me.

Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Dying Light alone were GOAT-tier for me. And I'm deffo forgetting some other stuff.

Honestly, for me. The outfit.

*doesn't know what you're talking about*

*googles Tales of Bersaria*

"Riiiight"

*decides never to buy the game*

HeatBoost

My gaming taste has gotten withered and pointy in my old age and even I'm kind of at a loss for all these good games coming out

Is there going to be anything left for holiday? I can't think of a single Q4 release I give a toot about other than Mario and Red Dead 2/3. Meanwhile, I'm at a genuine loss as to what I'll buy after I finish Zelda (probably Nier) and then after that there's Horizon and then after that there's probably Tekken...

thank god i imported persona 5

febLey

2015 was pretty good:

Undertale
Bloodborne
The Witcher 3
Captain Toad
Life is Strange
Grow Home
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Majoras Mask 3D
Hotline Miami 2
Ori and the Blind Forest
Pillars of Eternity

Pretty Sure I forgot some good titles and also Q3 and Q4 were really good.

Safe to say this is the best year of gaming for this current gen already?

It's subjective. 2015 was fantastic as well, with Bloodborne, TPP, TW3, Ori, Splatoon, Rainbow Six Siege and Rocket League. 2016 had Overwatch, Inside, Doom, The Witness, Hitman, Dishonored 2, Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4, Forza Horizon 3, The Last Guardian, Titanfall 2 and more.

But this year certainly looks like a contender, especially if games like Andromeda, RDR2 (if it comes out), Uncharted The Lost Legacy and Super Mario Odyssey deliver. I hope there are some nice surprises as well.

It's a good time to be a gamer.

Strictly

You know a year is fantastic when you don't even care you have missed some stellar games (Nioh; Horizon; Halo Wars 2) because there's so many great options. It reminds me of the glorious PS2 days!

Top Bottom