• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatred - Reveal & Gameplay Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendero

Interested on finding out what will be the end of it.
How the game ends, and what impact (if any) will have among journalists and specially players.

Not going to give them free promotion until its release, though.

Not sure how to feel about this one, was legit disturbed by those execution animations in the trailer, however I like the visual style they've achieved with UE4, plus I enjoyed the original Postal. Isometric action games that are non turn based are a rare thing nowadays. I'll probably check it out when it's released but won't be surprised in the least if it makes me feel queasy at a certain point and make me want to not touch it again.

ak1276

Banned
What if the twist is, halfway through the game, you pick up as the detective investigating the spree killing?

That is A) the only redeeming quality it may have, and B) probably way over the current level of the writing quality.

Corpekata

Banned
What if the twist is, halfway through the game, you pick up as the detective investigating the spree killing?

That is A) the only redeeming quality it may have, and B) probably way over the current level of the writing quality.

I hope it is, but the game changes genres to like a point and click adventure game, just to frustrate those that want to get their bloodlust on.

The twist is that the detective is Sebastian Castellanos from The Evil Within.

I'm into the concept a lot but I'm not a fan of the isometric perspective. I'm also disappointed that he's billed as a villain and looks like a psychopath. Why can't he just be a normal everyday assuming person who holds a grudge against humans? It's like the low-hanging fruit. Long hair. Trench coat. Played out.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
The cringe I got from the amount of edginess is off the charts. And I don't like twin stick shooters. Nor do I support murder simulators where the only point is to randomly mow down innocent civilians. So this game gets a no from me.

Vidpixel

Top comment on YT

A big thank you to this guy.

This YouTube comment seems to have missed the entire point of why people are upset over this game. Whether people want to admit it or not, context and tone do matter when it comes to violence in games or any other piece of entertainment media out there. Utilizing the concept of being an exploitative murder simulator as a selling point is what people are having issues with.

Sou Da

"The Death comes 2015"

More and more this sounds like something that would be used as parody on episode of Metalocalypse

RawNuts

Simply put, this is not a game, this is a murder simulator. In games like Hotline: Miami or Call of Duty, there is a purpose behind pulling that trigger. You are told why, with context and reasoning, and so your brain can process it as a storyline to understand the purpose of shooting that person.
Killing is killing; rationalizing violence against a group of people is some serious brainwashing shit. Having a character contextualize violence is sometimes scarier and more sinister to me than just random violence; even the character in this game uses terms like "vengeance" in his monologue and that is disturbing.

There is also no way to know that every one of your enemies deserves to be shot in games like Call of Duty; they can't contextualize everything and most game enemies are only guilty of your reticule turning red when you aim at them.

However, this being said, I don't like the way this game is presented in the trailer; it glorifies this kind of character by giving him this muscular, badass-in-a-trenchcoat appearance and gruff voice. I also don't think I could handle being a developer on something like this; the references you would have to look to would be disturbing.

Much too brilliant of a concept to expect from this I think; would be an amazing way to reflect on your actions in the first half of the game though. It would be great to go through the same areas as a detective and piece together the kind of flawed logic or warped world perspective that the killer was using to justify their actions to the player through the first half.

hoola

Neo Member
Looks pretty good. I might get it when its on sale.

It is a bit tasteless considering the random acts of violence committed in real life over the last few years, but a good game is a good game, regardless of what the content is - and this is looking like a good game. I especially want to see more environmental destruction.

Postal at least had a sense of humor. This trash seems to take the concept of mass murder of innocent civilians too seriously. The whole thing really grosses me out.

dolabla

Lol, that's kind of crazy. But I guess it's really no different than mowing down people in GTA.

I can't wait to see what the dumbass media has to say. This game will get the blame for something. It's almost guaranteed.

ak1276

Banned
Killing is killing; rationalizing violence against a group of people is some serious brainwashing shit. Having a character contextualize violence is sometimes scarier and more sinister to me than just random violence; even the character in this game uses terms like "vengeance" in his monologue and that is disturbing.

There is also no way to know that every one of your enemies deserves to be shot in games like Call of Duty; they can't contextualize everything and most game enemies are only guilty of your reticule turning red when you aim at them.

However, this being said, I don't like the way this game is presented in the trailer; it glorifies this kind of character by giving him this muscular, badass-in-a-trenchcoat appearance and gruff voice. I also don't think I could handle being a developer on something like this; the references you would have to look to would be disturbing.

Much too brilliant of a concept to expect from this I think; would be an amazing way to reflect on your actions in the first half of the game though. It would be great to go through the same areas as a detective and piece together the kind of flawed logic or warped world perspective that the killer was using to justify their actions to the player through the first half.
Yeah. I had initially meant it in jest, but now I feel like I REALLY want that game.

This game still looks like dogshit, by the way.

RawNuts

They're holding a gun and will use it to kill you if they can?
A lot of fighters in terrorist groups are not a part of it because they want to be, but because these groups threaten to kill them or their families if they don't comply. Should they be treated the same as those terrorists? How would you know the difference?

I'm into the concept a lot but I'm not a fan of the isometric perspective. I'm also disappointed that he's billed as a villain and looks like a psychopath. Why can't he just be a normal everyday assuming person who holds a grudge against humans? It's like the low-hanging fruit. Long hair. Trench coat. Played out.

That made me think. We should get Falling Down (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/) the game. DEFENDS!!!

Nuke Soda

All I have to say is this: NOPE. NOPE. NOPE.
It is perfectly within their rights to make this game, but I shant be having anything to do with it.

Mooreberg

I hope there are mechanics behind the veneer and it is not another Postal 3. Trench coat makes it seem like something that spilled out of the 90's. I commend their ability to read the current climate surrounding things, though. The usual suspects will lose their minds over it, and sanctimonious editorials and YouTube rants will only help to sell the game. Clever, while somehow concurrently a bit obvious.

JDSN

Banned
This is gonna be a big piece of shit and the director is gonna say a couple of years later that it was a parody, like Tommy Wisseau and The Room.

Spoo

I'm not really convinced that this is doing anything that hasn't arrived on my doorstep in the form of a better game. Killing people who can't defend themselves seems like it is incompatible with 'fun', but we manage to do it all the time in GTA without really construing it as anything more than it is.

Not really a defense of the game: it's not original. Think about that, and then realize how many games you might retroactively like to call out on their masturbatory violence.

This YouTube comment seems to have missed the entire point of why people are upset over this game. Whether people want to admit it or not, context and tone do matter when it comes to violence in games or any other piece of entertainment media out there. Utilizing the concept of being an exploitative murder simulator as a selling point is what people are having issues with.

I fully understand why people don't like. It's definitely a disturbing premise for a game. What I don't understand is the stance from those that feel that it shouldn't even be released. Going into other forms of entertainment, you had the Slim Shady LP in which many songs were about Eminem (as Slim Shady) murdering people including his ex-wife. You have movies like Human Centipede or the Guinea Pig series. They're both just about watching people being tortured. But that music and those movies are allowed to exist and be released. They obviously received quite a bit of criticism, which is perfectly fine. But there's a big difference between criticism and wanting something to never see the light of day.

Ahasverus

This is clearly parody (or at least self aware) and I like it. There are shock flims, there should be shock games. Also, yay for non-2D indie games.

Come on, we've done this on GTA far too many times.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
So what are the chances for this game to get an AO rating?

I still have my Direct2Drive installation of AO Manhunt 2. Didn't really play it, it was barely a shadow of its predecessor.

...but tell ME you're going to censor a game so I can't buy it, and I will be interested in buying it. Matter of principal.

I don't know if I'll play this. I didn't really like Dead Nation. You guys know that zombies are just an allegory for the overwhelming press of mindless other people around you, right?

Is the contextual pretext of a game wherein you slaughter dozens of human targets so crucial?

What if the Dead Nation zombies "got better" at the end of the game?

God damn that was dark, caught me off guard. I like the fact that it's got a dark, kind of grindcore metal vibe going for it, something I haven't seen in a long time in games. Funny thing is, the first thing that popped into my head while watching was the feeling I had the first time I played Doom. And it even has a similar logo.

I'm surprised that the trailer put me off a bit (guess I'm still human) but I'm leaning more towards liking this. More precisely, there are dark, nihilistic elements and whole genres in other media and forms of art, so I'm all for diversity. Even though they might be going for shock value just for the sake of it, it still looks like it might have something to offer just by crystallizing all of the violence we're used to and embracing it instead of tiptoeing around the idea.

Reebot

Well that looks thoroughly unpleasant and disgusting. Sadly I suppose anything and everything has some kind of audience.

lewisgone

Disgusting in my opinion...not for me. This is coming from someone who played and enjoyed GTA and Hotline Miami...context is important. In GTA the game is humorous, killing people isn't some serious, dark event unless you make it that way. this is especially true of GTA V, which I think made a fantastic choice in making the main characters so detached from being "normal" (see Michael's therapy sessions, Trevor's pure insanity, Franklin's attempts at making his ridiculous crimes seem like legitimate careers) that they couldn't be seen as cool, only comically sociopathic. Franklin is a bit of an exception to this since he sort of plays the straight man, more similar to previous GTA protagonists. But I also think the story leaves his character undeveloped in general. I've never been a fan of just causing chaos in GTA games, I prefer driving around and exploring. But GTA V is the first game in the series for me that provided a backdrop that made me comfortable enough to do some pretty chaotic things, because it didn't attempt to be a serious game.

Hotline Miami isn't comedic, but it has a purpose behind the killing...murder is deliberately horrifying and also satisfying in the game because you're supposed to reflect on what you're doing and not feel right about it, but still find the game fun. Despite 100%ing Hotline Miami though, I'm not certain I am entirely fine even with that game...it is open to interpretation, probably intentionally. I could be reading it wrong, and the developers may actually have just wanted to make a fun killing simulator, and lines of dialogue were not considered very important. But I'm fairly certain the game was intended to cause self-reflection, and cause both horror and entertainment from the incredibly gory kills, which are very easy to stop noticing after a minute or two. The game is also 2D pixel art...it's never too real to be disturbing. But HM is probably on the edge of what I feel ok playing, it does make me uneasy.

At the same time the game does share similarities with this one, and I know many people will be considering be a hypocrite for enjoying HM and hating the look of Hatred. Don't have an answer for that beyond what I've said though, I believe one goes too far and that one is Hatred. I don't think the game shouldn't be allowed to get made, but I think it's being made for the wrong reasons and probably won't have any compelling context for gameplay actions. That opening monologue is fucked up, straight out. And I have a bad feeling the next child school shooter will have this game on their hard drive. if the developers want to send a message, the main character shouldn't be being portrayed like some sort of badass.

From the gameplay bits, looks like an average top down shooters with "enemies" who can hardly fight back. Doesn't look fun at all.

But technically it looks surprising solid. As some have mentioned, it's very impressive that the main character is lifting people up by their clothing and you can actually see the fabric stretching. That's not really something you'd expect to see in such a small indie game. I can't even really think of many AAA games that have that detail.

This is what parents in the '90s thought anyone who played DOOM was like.

Sounds like such a fucking joy to play. Postal without the biting (lol jk) satire.

Exactly. It's just a game and not so different from the Hostel movies if we talk about gore and such. This one's got my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom