• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have any GAAS critics checked out Helldivers 2?

Have you played Helldivers 2?

• I'm critical of GAAS - I have 0 interest in Helldivers 2

• I'm critical of GAAS - I've played Helldivers 2 and dislike it

• I'm critical of GAAS - I've played Helldivers 2 and like it.

• I enjoy GAAS and I also enjoy participating in polls!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
There's a lot of hostility towards Live Service/GAAS on NeoGAF. There's not much hostility towards Helldivers 2 here so this poll was created to sus out the reason.

Has Helldivers 2 made you question your position on GAAS / Live Service games?

BugAssaultSTEAM.gif

(The bugs represent GAAS. Get it?)

GooseMan69

I haven’t played a multiplayer/co-op shooter in years. Not since Gears 3. If I see GAAS, I usually ignore its existence.

I played Helldivers 2 with a friend for 4 hours straight last night and absolutely loved it. We’re playing again tonight. I have been a strictly single player only guy for years and this game brought me back to my high school days when I used to be a much more social gamer.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To me GAAS does not automatically mean good or bad. Some games like cod and Diablo are gaas and I like them. But then something like suicide squad or a F2P deck builder I won’t like.

I pay zero mtx money into gaas too. So in a way all games aren’t even pay to play to me. I have enough fun and content playing vanilla.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm starting to think you're on the take with these companies. You're never going to convince me GAAS are good for me or the industry. Give it a rest.
One of my main theories about the growth of GAAS is that it will continue pulling in people who typically do not play them. IE "I don't like GAAS but I make an exception for this one game."

It's looking more and more like that theory is proving true.

Guilty_AI Guilty_AI you probably need to see this.

bitbydeath

One of my main theories about the growth of GAAS is that it will continue pulling in people who typically do not play them. IE "I don't like GAAS but I make an exception for this one game."

It's looking more and more like that theory is proving true.

Guilty_AI Guilty_AI you probably need to see this.
In fairness there are only a few GAAS games that aren’t filled with shady practices.

One of my main theories about the growth of GAAS is that it will continue pulling in people who typically do not play them.
It's because there are more and more developers finally starting to do them the right way. I feel like you need to wait a bit longer and see how things go in the next few years rather than clinging on to a few games though.

Too many threads too soon. The more threads you make the more it feels like you're force feeding everyone the idea that gaas is good.

algorithm-terminator.gif

Let them come to that conclusion naturally if they do.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's because there are more and more developers finally starting to do them the right way. I feel like you need to wait a bit longer and see how things go in the next few years rather than clinging on to a few games though.

Too many threads too soon. The more threads you make the more it feels like you're force feeding everyone the idea that gaas is good.

algorithm-terminator.gif

Let them come to that conclusion naturally if they do.

I don't think people want to be babied. Learning about yourself is fascinating. The reason why I'm jumping for joy about what's going on right now is that it's challenging everyone's notions about this topic. That should fascinate everyone. I predicted this happening not very long ago because human nature is predictable to a large extent.

Kacho

Nah, I stay away from always online games like this. Not being able to play a game I bought due to sever issues is no bueno.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Haven't played it, don't intend to... but from everything I read on here it seems Helldivers 2 is a game that was cheap to buy, offers a huge amount of content for free, and has a decent gameplay loop.

So if a game has to be GaaS, this is probably the way to do it.

Not that Suicide Squad shit.

Helldivers is like GAAS lite to be fair.

What makes it GAAS lite?

You progress in a battlepass more you play.

This is Fortnite gameplay loop.

You are not playing it to finish a story, like Suicide Squad or Redfall.

Enjoying Helldivers 2 and disliking GaaS are not mutually exclusive tho. I mean Helldivers 2 isn't really a GaaS game since you get all the content for the 40$
Fortnite gives you way more content and is absolutely free.

Haven't played it, don't intend to... but from everything I read on here it seems Helldivers 2 is a game that was cheap to buy, offers a huge amount of content for free, and has a decent gameplay loop.

So if a game has to be GaaS, this is probably the way to do it.

Not that Suicide Squad shit.
The more i read here, the more i am realising people have no idea what GAAS games are.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The more i read here, the more i am realising people have no idea what GAAS games are.

Please. We've all got a pretty good of what 'games as a service' means. It's right there in the title :pie_unamused:

You might want to ascribe your own set of specifics to suit whatever argument you're having a hard time making, but for the rest of us, a GaaS is pretty easy to spot.

Please. We've all got a pretty good of what 'games as a service' means. It's right there in the title :pie_unamused:

You might want to ascribe your own set of specifics to suit whatever argument you're having a hard time making, but for the rest of us, a GaaS is pretty easy to spot.
I mean, you advocated for more games to be made like this, so lemme clarify.

Premium battlepass in this game offers actual weapons and armour sets. You have option to buy that with actual money.

It has long been established that only cosmetic items should be buyable in games like this. This is going backwards.

Back in the day we would just call this a multiplayer game, not "GaaS" so that's how I regard it. GaaS element comes in with the monetization aspect which - for HD2 specifically - is a non-factor as the game is generous with the 'super credits' it gives out (for now) through natural play that then allow you to buy premium skins from the store, I already have half a dozen with zero inclination or desire to spend an additional red cent.

I understand you've become absurdly obsessed with this topic but a new thread a day is a touch excessive.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
No. The only GAAS trash I would even consider supporting was TLOU online, which thankfully got cancelled.

Sakura

I haven't checked it out because it isn't free to play. I'm not really interested in GAAS that have an upfront cost.

Paasei

I still haven’t looked it up. Then again, loads of games get content added later in its cycle from big to small. When does the term GaaS apply at the moment? Seems the term is rapidly changing in definition.

ToadMan

I mean, you advocated for more games to be made like this, so lemme clarify.

Premium battlepass in this game offers actual weapons and armour sets. You have option to buy that with actual money.

It has long been established that only cosmetic items should be buyable in games like this. This is going backwards.

Its predatory p2w garbage gaas. The worst of the worst in gaas.

But its fun and a sony game so im not complaining

Incorrect.

yurinka

I'm critical with GaaS because they have a lot of crap that isn't present at all in Helldivers 2.

Helldivers 2 fixed GaaS:
  • You can play it single player: there's no main story and the game is better played in coop with random people or specially with friends, but it's ok to play it solo (the difficulty doesn't adapt to the number of players, so will be more challenging).
  • No PvP or competitive stuff: everthing is coop and other players can only help you, so there's no frustration of PvP getting too dificult or needing to gring a ton to do something decent, or toxic players
  • No FOMO: battle passes won't expire once new ones get released, they'll continue there so you can take your time to complete them
  • No important content locked in premium battle pass: Premium battle pass isn't better or longer than the free one, its mostly cosmetics and weapons or armor with minor stats change. The best basic weapons and armor are in the free battle pass
  • Important progression isn't tied to the battle pass: the important unlocks (stratagems and ship upgrades) aren't in the the battle pass, they are unlocked with a separate currency you can only unlocked by playing
  • No Pay to win: there isn't competitive modes, and even in the missions all players get the same reward. Plus even in the battle passes there isn't a paid way to complete it faster
  • No lootboxes and no content locked behind microtransactions: everything in the game including to get the battlepss can be unlocked by playing with currency you earn by playing the game
  • No greedy pricing: In every mission or two missions you get enough currency to unlock some cool stuff, no need to grind to get cool unlocks
  • Fun gameplay as retention or monetization hooks: you keep playing and playing because the game is very fun and rewarding, you go back to play because the game is fun to play, not because of the rewards or progression
Its predatory p2w garbage gaas.

There's abosulutely nothing p2w in Helldivers 2.

First, there isn't competitive in the game, so there's nothing to 'win'. Even if you perform better than the other players you don't get a better reward or MVP: all players get the same.

By paying you can only gets cosmetics or the premium battle pass, which is shorter than the free one and only has cosmetics and weapons with worse stats that the ones included in the free battle pass. You don't need to pay real money for the premium battle pass: you can unlock by playing, you find the currency needed to get the paid battle pass as collectable exploring the game. Once you get the battle pass, its progress is only made by playing and completing missions: you can't pay real money to progress faster.

And the most important unlocks, the stratagems and ship upgrades aren't included in the battle passes: they are only unlocked by playing, you can't buy the currency needed to unlock them by paying real money.

Back in the day we would just call this a multiplayer game, not "GaaS" so that's how I regard it. GaaS element comes in with the monetization aspect which - for HD2 specifically - is a non-factor as the game is generous with the 'super credits' it gives out (for now) through natural play that then allow you to buy premium skins from the store, I already have half a dozen with zero inclination or desire to spend an additional red cent.

I understand you've become absurdly obsessed with this topic but a new thread a day is a touch excessive.
Game as a Service refers to the game being designed to have a long post launch support (often partly free, partly paid) of new content. No need to feature weird monetization, even often they have aggresive one. No need to be MP, even if they often are.

Helldivers 2 is a GaaS, but you can play it only solo and unlock all the content of the game without needing to pay any money, only supercredits and other currencies by playing the game normally.

Last edited:
Game as a Service refers to the game being designed to have a long post launch support (often partly free, partly paid) of new content. No need to feature weird monetization, even often they have aggresive one. No need to be MP, even if they often are.

Helldivers 2 is a GaaS, but you can play it only solo and unlock all the content of the game without needing to pay any money, only supercredits and other currencies by playing the game normally.

No, multiplayer games have existed for years and years before the term GaaS was invented and these games had long post-launch support, I'll use Warhawk (PS3) as an example. The game remained popular for YEARS after release receiving free updates in addition to paid DLC. It was never called a GaaS, the term wasn't even invented.

The one thing that pretty much all GaaS have in common is the monetization aspect. If you look at the console/PC space all the popular GaaS are multiplayer focused (as opposed to mobile where you have stuff like Pokémon Go that are more solo endeavours). The one thing I appreciate about Helldivers is that I can enjoy it as a single player experience (I've clocked 50h total about 30h of which were solo play). Even when playing solo though you're still connected to the online world, it was fundamentally designed to be a multiplayer title.

No, multiplayer games have existed for years and years before the term GaaS was invented and these games had long post-launch support, I'll use Warhawk (PS3) as an example. The game remained popular for YEARS after release receiving free updates in addition to paid DLC. It was never called a GaaS, the term wasn't even invented.

The one thing that pretty much all GaaS have in common is the monetization aspect. If you look at the console/PC space all the popular GaaS are multiplayer focused (as opposed to mobile where you have stuff like Pokémon Go that are more solo endeavours). The one thing I appreciate about Helldivers is that I can enjoy it as a single player experience (I've clocked 50h total about 30h of which were solo play). Even when playing solo though you're still connected to the online world, it was fundamentally designed to be a multiplayer title.

Nothing wrong with accepting you like GAAS titles.

There is no need for mental gymnastics. 😂

I don't think people want to be babied. Learning about yourself is fascinating. The reason why I'm jumping for joy about what's going on right now is that it's challenging everyone's notions about this topic. That should fascinate everyone. I predicted this happening not very long ago because human nature is predictable to a large extent.

It’s kind of an easy win on your part, based on your definition of GAAS, which is way more all-encompassing than what most people consider GAAS to be.

Eventually both you and them have to settle and agree on what GAAS by definition actually covers, because it can even be stretched to the existence of expansions, based on a wording technicality.

Nothing wrong with accepting you like GAAS titles.

There is no need for mental gymnastics. 😂

You equate facts with mental gymnastics? Fascinating! There isn't any need for you to beg me to slap the dog shit out of you but you seem keen on doing so anyway, doubly fascinating!

PeteBull

Dont give a fuck about
- Gaas
- Multiplayer

Never have and never will.
Add to that shooters and basically is me, with exception of diablo series which wasnt gas till d4, and it got so terrible i couldnt even get 1 char to max lvl there, being diablo maniac with tousands of hours spent in the series, hell even d2r(remaster of d2 lod) i spent solid 3k hours by now, and still playing it(both online with buddy and offline/mods).
GAAS destroyed each and every game series it touched that i liked, including diablo, forza, halo.

unlurkified

The game’s good but still way too grindy. Unless you do targeted farming, doing the battlepass and unlocking everything takes way too long.

dummydecoy

I'd be playing this game if it was titled simply Helldivers. The 2 in it triggers my OC and I can't play sequels without playing the prequels. I wish the industry would move to using current year instead, like Helldivers 2024.

Gojiira

Helldivers 2 is exactly how a GaaS should be done.
For one the game itself is very fun to play and levelling unlocks a ton of the cool stuff to play with.
Second you can find premium currency in game just by exploring.
Third the free Warbond unlocks enough premium currency to buy the Premium Warbond
Cash shop is entirely cosmetic and is surprisingly cheap if you do choose to buy anything.
Its exactly how it should be done, one of the loading screen tips also says that theres no rush to unlock Warbond stuff either because they dont go anywhere,meaning seasons or whatever wont remove previous content which perfect.
Honestly as long as they keep adding new mission types,new enemies, new cosmetics, new features (mechs are coming btw) then it will be the perfect GaaS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom