• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have any GAAS critics checked out Helldivers 2?

Have you played Helldivers 2?

• I'm critical of GAAS - I have 0 interest in Helldivers 2

• I'm critical of GAAS - I've played Helldivers 2 and dislike it

• I'm critical of GAAS - I've played Helldivers 2 and like it.

• I enjoy GAAS and I also enjoy participating in polls!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
What's wrong with you, my guy

o4ZmHzn.png
Gaas Propagandist at its finest

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Every forum needs a villain, at least MIB plays the part well. Broken clocks and all that.

On the subject, no, but it looks fun. I don't think any sane people here think GaaS games are all bad, I think people just don't want the entire industry to try and grab a slice of the pie because it's demonstrably never going to work. Suicide Squad may kill off Rocksteady entirely and Sony already cancelled several. There can only be a few handfuls of successful GaaS titles at a time.

Guilty_AI

One of my main theories about the growth of GAAS is that it will continue pulling in people who typically do not play them. IE "I don't like GAAS but I make an exception for this one game."

It's looking more and more like that theory is proving true.

Guilty_AI Guilty_AI you probably need to see this.
All i'm seeing is you slowly losing your mind as shown on the posts above

Last edited:

Yoboman

Im not big on GAAS except Rocket League but I'm enjoying it.

My stance will always be to let multiplayer devs have at it, but dont interfere with my single player devs

Killjoy-NL

Its predatory p2w garbage gaas. The worst of the worst in gaas.

But its fun and a sony game so im not complaining
You haven't played the game have you?

We only have to look at the Warbond sniper to see it's even P2L at times.
And that Warbond even comes for free.

Games with addons were GaaS before the term even existed. Games with MTX are GaaS. The term means basically nothing, just that the dev/pub plans to deliver some smaller or tiny bits until an eventual proper sequel. There are gamers who can afford any 9,99 horse armor and don't mind, while others want proper value/content for the same money. That's the point they have to find.
I don't know either game myself but HD2 sounds like it follows GT7s model, with core updates for everyone, but also having the option for extra gear by buying that. As long as it doesn't make it p2w, which is for PvE less relevant anyway it is probably fine for everyone. Some publishers struggle to find the perfect balance between being greedy and providing actual substantial service, but generally most games seem to get it kinda right, are not too obtrusive and or locking away essential content. Anyway failing games are mostly those which then are also critisized for even trying to make bank when they just not deserve it. No matter if already F2P or starting with regular price.

Pigenator

The GaaS concept isn't the issue - the issue is the obscene greed and money-chasing + FOMO schemes by the developers and publishers within those games.
AFAIK Helldivers 2 has a good approach with permanent season pass, and also said season pass doesn't have all that many incentives that make you feel screwed unless you buy it.

yurinka

No, multiplayer games have existed for years and years before the term GaaS was invented and these games had long post-launch support, I'll use Warhawk (PS3) as an example. The game remained popular for YEARS after release receiving free updates in addition to paid DLC. It was never called a GaaS, the term wasn't even invented.

The one thing that pretty much all GaaS have in common is the monetization aspect. If you look at the console/PC space all the popular GaaS are multiplayer focused (as opposed to mobile where you have stuff like Pokémon Go that are more solo endeavours). The one thing I appreciate about Helldivers is that I can enjoy it as a single player experience (I've clocked 50h total about 30h of which were solo play). Even when playing solo though you're still connected to the online world, it was fundamentally designed to be a multiplayer title.
As I said before, multiplayer games and GaaS are not the same thing.

Multiplayer games means multiple players can play the game. Single player games is when only one player can play it.

Game as a product is the traditional old school business model approach of shipping a game and moving on, maybe after launch making only a few paid DLCs, that maybe weren't even considered before releasing the game. They can be both single player or multiplayer.

Game as a Service, or live service games, means they are designed to be run during a long period of time getting new content or features, plus tweaks and fixes, a service that evolves over time depending on performance and feedback. Meaning, to have a meaningful post launch support. GaaS can be both single player or multiplayer. I'd say live service games started in the early '00s with the first MMOs and casual browser games (most of them SP games) that later evolved into mobile games.

Live service games often focus the monetization not in the sale of the game, but instead in post launch stuff, which can be of many types: micro transactions, dlcs/expansions, season or battle passes, subscriptions, or even in recent times via blockchain. But there are some who rely more (or only) in the game sales plus paid expansions/big dlc sales.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom