• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have graphics or sound ever make you not wanna play a game that you like?

bjork

Phantasy Star III on the Genesis. The whole "play through generations"/"multiple endings" hook is cool and I can deal with the systems and everything about it, and I think it's an okay game. But the battle music is a deal-breaker. It's interesting because the music changes as the battle goes on, depending on your status in the fight, but any of the different battle tunes will give me a headache almost instantly. Haven't had it happen with any other game, and it's a bummer because I'd like to eventually play it to see every ending rather than the one or two that I've gotten on my own.

I was originally put off by Gears of War due to its dude-bro character design. But I greatly enjoyed the games when I played them on Xbox One last year.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Binding of Isaac is pretty disgusting to me. Visually it's extremely unappealing, and the gameplay isn't good enough to carry it. I've dropped that one.

dafodeu

Bad graphics don't bother me. The only thing that stops me from going back to old games I loved is the camera and controls on a lot of the early 3d games are terrible.

Rncewind

Several times actually

The most extreme case would be anything from studio key. I cant handle there character design. But i dont know if this exactly goes as "graphics".

Airola

Guacamelee.

I have always found the mexican wrestler thing something that just is not funny. It's more like anti-funny. And for some reason the whole thing puts me off completely. I could take it if it was made without the slightest attempt at humor, completely serious. And it should also be made without trying to look "artistic" in the way this game does.

I love games that can be labeled as 'metroidvania' so for a long time I wanted to try this game. But even when it was on sale the whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way and I never bought it.

However, I managed to try it later and luckily the game had another thing that I don't like in games: combo-based combat. Now I don't have to worry about missing out on this game just because I don't like its style, but now I can safely say the gameplay itself wouldn't be for my taste anyway.

KyleCross

Dragon Quest VIII is my favorite game of all time, but I refuse to pick it up on 3DS due to how ugly it is. Really sucks as I'd like to play my #1 game again and enjoy the new content, but they ruined the visuals far too much for me to do so.

Newk86

I stopped playing Rage on PS3 because the surround sound was all screwed up for some reason. Couldn't for the life of me figure out where shots were coming from.

Sounds from glitching doors in Dead Space 3 PC. They knew it was there before they released the game and EA didnt give a shit and released it anyway.

I had to refund black desert online because of the character attack sounds and the laughable grass pop-in.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no way to turn off the character attack sounds where they basically yell/scream for every attack they do. I couldn't handle it.

The grass pop-in was abysmal. No matter the setting, there was no way to fix it and for a more recent game it wasn't acceptable. I know I know, comparing it to Wow may be unfair, but I wanted something better than what I got.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'll be honest, it's kept me from really getting into New Super Mario Bros. I hate the visual design and, especially, the music. Just blah all around.

Same with Yoshi's New Island. The music is offensively bad.

big_z

I'll be honest, it's kept me from really getting into New Super Mario Bros. I hate the visual design and, especially, the music. Just blah all around.

I'm on the same page. I love the aesthetics of the 8-16bit Mario games but the new series is awful.

Honestly I kinda hate the overly cute noises the characters make in modern Mario games too. Sorry Charles.

Absolutely. I added Dust: An Elysian Tail to my wish list after I saw it highly regarded here. After seeing some screenshots with that art style I quickly removed it.

I've probably "bought" Dust at least twice now as a result of its frequent inclusion in Humble Bundles - I ain't ever redeeming that key. Just nah. Looks like your DeviantArt grab back fan bullshit. Also double whammy - the voices in the trailer are atrocious so, I guess it's perfect for this thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Absolutely. I added Dust: An Elysian Tail to my wish list after I saw it highly regarded here. After seeing some screenshots with that art style I quickly removed it. Also, I'm not buying the new Nidhogg because of the art style.

I can't play my 3DS anymore because of the resolution. This is after putting multiple hundreds of hours into it. When I think about it now I just have no interest. I'll be skipping Metroid, sadly.
Dust is an impressive production for one guy, though. I believe it was drawn, designed and programmed by one gaffer.

Galava

I clearly would haven gotten more into Fallout 4 if the graphics were better.

I think the graphics are good enough, it's the art style or lack-there-of that I can't stand. it's all grey and dull. I've seen more interesting mono-coloured worlds for sure.

Piers

Dragon Quest. Love JRPGs, hate that Toriyama art. Never gave the series a chance.

Similar. I like the art, but please stop reusing the Dragon Quest theme.
Anytime I hear it in any of the trailers, I rage. Then there's reusing NES menu styles and SFX because "That's just how it is!"

And same generic style of green hills and blue skies.

Dragon Quest VIII is my favorite game of all time, but I refuse to pick it up on 3DS due to how ugly it is. Really sucks as I'd like to play my #1 game again and enjoy the new content, but they ruined the visuals far too much for me to do so.
Likewise was going to but no orchestral score or voice acting = nope.

jett

D-Member
*insert random anime game with creepy-ass character designs*

Music-wise, Streets of Rage 3's soundtrack is painful to my ears. I cannot deal with it.

Rizific

the animation/audio mismatch in FFT war of the lions on PSP literally makes me like retarded. i was so excited for that game but just couldnt bring myself to play it. I just dont know who in their right mind thought that the game was ok to release in that state.

Bolivar687

Banned
I just realized the other day that Civ VI has officially become my favorite game in the series. It was IV for a while but I recently removed my graphics card to sell and tried going back but just couldn't get into it. It's still an incredibly charming game for it's time but the polish in VI is so supreme that the other games just don't draw me into the map the same way. I got burned out after my first session.

I get that it must have made SE a lot of easy money but I'm pretty bummed out it's such a downgrade. Feels like they don't appreciate their masterpieces the same way the fans do.

Dolobill

Art style can have this effect for me more so than graphics on a technical level. Despite loving both previous Xenoblade games, I don't think I can play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 because I think it's one of the ugliest games I've ever seen in my life.

Sweetloaf

I tried that Twin Peaks style detective thing on PS3 but the drone of the car's engine just wound me up!

Edit- Deadly Premonition, could cope with the shite visuals but that noise...

nkarafo

Yes. Anime aesthetis and obnoxious Japanese voice acting specifically. Cant stand those games.

Also indie games with cheap pixel art that looks like atari 2600 or stick figures.

Ogni-XR21

Started playing Final Fantasy 14 recently and I loathe some of the character designs of the story characters. Doesn't help that some of the voice acting is pretty bad too at times.

The papyrus texture and style of Okami on PS2 made me feel sick playing it. I've never understood why.

Someday I'll try the PS3 version that Hexadrive did. I've heard many good things.

Andvary

Yes, after playing several Telltale games I won't touch their games anymore because of that ugly, buggy engine they use.

PSqueak

Banned
Really REALLY avoided Skull Girls for a looooooooooong time because i couldn0t stand the over sexualized designs and panty shots and all the pervy shit.

It was so bad, when Lab Zero revealed Indivisible i was absolutely shocked at the lack of sexualization in the designs.

Also, Shantae games for the same reason.

Way Forward are so blatant with their sexualization that when 1/2 genie hero came out someone on tumblr made a screenshot edit of the giant mermaid to give her gigantic fetish grade breasts and 90% of the audience thought it was legit.

People looked at a giant mermaid with giant tits that were obviously edited and thought "yes, this is the kind of shit i expect from way forward, this is totally a legit screenshot of the game!"

RRockman

Banned
Really REALLY avoided Skull Girls for a looooooooooong time because i couldn0t stand the over sexualized designs and panty shots and all the pervy shit.

It was so bad when Lab Zero revealed Indivisible i was absolutely shock at the lack of sexualization in the designs.

Also, Shantae games for the same reason.

Way Forward are so blatant with their sexualization that when 1/2 genie hero came out someone on tumblr made a screenshot edit of the giant mermaid to give her gigantic fetish grade breasts and 90% of the audience thought it was legit.

People looked at a giant mermaid with giant tits that were obviously edited and thought "yes, this is the kind of shit i expect from way forward, this is totally a legit screenshot of the game!"

This is me too actually. When I buy a game I usually want to be able to play it in public or with company over and I just get extremely embarrassed. It's like the modern version of the "I read it for the articles" excuse and everyone else is like "yeah right". If there is a bunch of skin shown and there is no Skip button I probably won't be buying it.

Tyaren

I'm really enjoying Xenoblade on the 3DS at the moment. The resolution is just too low though and I almost stopped after a few hours in. This game deserves a proper HD remake, but I doubt we'll ever get one

This! A huge waste to cram a game like that onto the 3DS instead of remastering it in HD.
I have not replayed Xenoblade Chronicles, because it looks so bad on my HDTV. The poor IQ with all its jaggies and shimmering is literally headache inducing. :(

Degen

Street Fighter X Tekken

Not a bad game, especially after the updates but it's way too hard on the eyes

Now that you mention music, that was pretty low-quality too

Blurry15

Does the Super Meat Boy with the new soundtrack count? Because I can't play the game with the new soundtrack. It sounds so off to me and sounds terribly generic. I wish they could reach some understanding with Danny Baranowski so they could put the old soundtrack in future SMB releases.

Opa-Pa

Definitely not the worst I've experienced, but the first thing that came to mind is Bravely Second. The music is so depressingly mediocre and inferior to the original, incredible OST that I haven't gone back to it in months despite still enjoying the rest.

The combination of modern Mario's graphics and audio grates at my soul.

200px-Cat_Mario_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.png

Super Mario.... 3D WORLD!!! Meeeeoooow!

Nope. Can't deal.

It's so reassuring to see someone else complain about cat Mario lol, it's the worst. I can't decide if it creeps me out or just annoys me... And the final boss, my god. Still a great game so I endured it but Jesus.

Xenoblade Chronicles X. I managed to beat the game, but every time I think about going back to play some post-game content I remember the music and I can't make myself do it.

Godcannon

I really wanted to play through Okami HD, but the noises while characters are speaking in text boxes really annoyed me and made me stop... Graphics were beautiful, no problems there.

Bad graphics in general don't really bother me so long as the gameplay is on point.

Currently the Persona 5 UI keeps me from playing the game and I can't get used to it. That gigantic symbol moving up and down on at the end of each dialog line is something as annoying as an airplane warning blinking light on a building.

I can't say how many mid-tier japanese games I've dropped immediately over the last decade or so due to tonally inappropriate music

"hey I've got an idea
our composer just wrote up this insanely cheery track; it's bouncy and sweeter than molasses
so every single time
EVERY SINGLE TIME
something happens in this game
and there's any degree of levity to the situation
play that track
it won't get annoying"

~ rpg designer

Zubz

Banned
I love awful, digitized Mortal Kombat games for amusement purposes, but I refuse to even look at them if I'm around food or drink for some reason. I don't know why, but it makes me feel nauseous, only if there is food around.

Top Bottom