• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever felt uncomfortable playing a character of a different skin color?

nOoblet16

If you are Indian then you are Asian, regardless if that doesn't agree with the common conception of how a Asian person is supposed to look to some.

Not particularly, you are talking geography while I am talking ethnicity.

If I am Indian then I am an Asian in the geographical sense but the term "Asian" that Americans use is for an ethnicity and that ethnicity happens to be different from North Indians. On the other hand "Asian" in UK actually only means Indian/Pakistani, but formally they are just called Indian/Pakistani/Chinese and other east asians grouped under one category Asian.

The trouble is, if you play a game as a character with a different skin color and have a difficult time with it, dying a lot, then you have to wonder if you might be subconsciously racist and that you might be watching that character die over and over again on purpose.

Hahaha, pretty funny.

Snakebee

Neo Member
As an asian person irl, if possible I always try to play as a black person. I'm not trying to be funny, but you can go ahead and laugh at the obvious trap I've set up for myself.

I'm a white guy and if I have to make a character I will make one that looks like me.

Recently I picked up the latest COD and in that MP you get assigned a random generic soldier guy who you can change if you so choose. My guy started off black but I soon changed him over to white guy who was closer approximation of myself.

But if the game is one where the characters are pre-defined and they happen to be black or female or gay (?) then it doesn't cross my mind that I find it uncomfortable. I'm happy to play that way.

No, but I'm a black dude, so I'm pretty much used to it.

I didn't realize how much people had a problem with this until internet message boards started to pop up. Stuff like the GTA: San Andreas freak out or even, when it comes to movies, people (inaccurately) freaking out over the casting in The Hunger Games. I don't really care if I'm playing as a woman or someone who is LGBT, for an analogous example, so I guess I just didn't really understand that it would be a thing that people would care about. Maybe it's that I'm used to playing as someone who is cosmetically different in the first place.

I could only imagine being a black woman gamer. I'm neither, but unless it's create a character game, you're not getting much representation sadly.
It's lonely in these streets.

I bought and beat tomb raider on ps4, but honestly can't get hyped for a game where the female is the main character. For example the game with robot dinosaurs looks amazing, my hype would be through the roof if it was a bad ass looking male character.

Are you for real?

Chariot

As an asian person irl, if possible I always try to play as a black person. I'm not trying to be funny, but you can go ahead and laugh at the obvious trap I've set up for myself.
Eh, preference of certain traits isn't that problem. Lack of acceptance of the others is. It's one thing to like playing white characters and another to hate playing non-white characters.

Same for gender of course.

Top Bottom