• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever forgot to stop auto-renew for a subscription? Were you able to refund?

Leonidas

This happened to me for the first time today. Accidentally signed up for 1-year of Humble Choice for $129.99 + tax. Luckily I didn't redeem any codes and I notified customer service well within two weeks of the charge so I was fully refunded.

Might re-up since there is a promo to get a year at $99.99, $30 less than the auto charge I had refunded.

Glad that Humble honored the refund, I heard people having issues when trying to get Sony to honor auto-renew sub refunds :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Tsaki

Yep literally 5 days ago. PS+ autorenewed at 72 euros. I specifically didn't buy the Black Friday deal, which was 20% off, because that's what I did last year and 2 weeks later the Christmas deal had it even lower, like 30% off. Anyway I called Sony support the next day and got an immediate refund. It helped that it was wallet funds though; the bank account would get the money back 1 or 2 days later. Also, I didn't download or played any PS+ games in the meantime; they can refuse the refund if you use the PS+ features.

kiphalfton

I'll tell you a sad story.

I had the $59.99 subscription for PS Premium. Was set to auto renew for the same price, BUT unfortunately my credit card on file was not up-to-date or something like that. Subscription did not renew, and if I wanted to renew it was full price.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Forgot to turn off auto-renewal on my PS+ subscription. I wanted to buy it cheaper somewhere else.

I contacted customer service and they wouldn't give me a refund. I called again the next day and the customer service rep said, "You tried contacting us earlier about a refund. We're unable to issue you a refund" and she exited the chat. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Aenima

For all my online shoppings, I always use pre-paid credit cards that expire in 1 month and have a fixed amount of cash on it, so by the time the auto renew kicks in, the card is already expired. And if it wasent expired, there was not enough money left on the card to renew anyway.

SenkiDala

Sony refunded my PS+ when I forgot to cancel. They said it was a one-time thing.
Lucky you, happened to me like 10 years ago, I called them within 2 minutes after the debit notification and they said "well but then you're using it since a couple of minutes so you cannot cancel it".

I remember it because it was at the end of PS3 era and I cancelled auto renewal in my PS3, in my PS4, but they said "YOU HAD TO ALSO CANCEL IT ON THE SONY OFFICIAL WEBSITE IN MY ACCOUNT SECTION". WHO THE FUCK KNOWS THAT ?

Anyway they didn't refund me and I am still salty about it.

Topher

Gold Member
Lucky you, happened to me like 10 years ago, I called them within 2 minutes after the debit notification and they said "well but then you're using it since a couple of minutes so you cannot cancel it".

I remember it because it was at the end of PS3 era and I cancelled auto renewal in my PS3, in my PS4, but they said "YOU HAD TO ALSO CANCEL IT ON THE SONY OFFICIAL WEBSITE IN MY ACCOUNT SECTION". WHO THE FUCK KNOWS THAT ?

Anyway they didn't refund me and I am still salty about it.
Jonah Hill Ok GIF

reinking

Gold Member
Never. Years ago I had an expired card on Xbox Live Gold. I did not want to renew at that time so I left the expired card on the account. I even got an email telling me the account expired. Some time later (weeks? Month maybe), I got an email telling me my Xbox Live Gold account had renewed. I called immediately thinking that someone was hacking the account. It turns out, I had made a transaction on the Microsoft store (not Xbox Live) and they updated my card with that information. I explained I did not want to update my Xbox Live account with that payment information and that I would like to refund the Live subscription. I was told that they would not refund my sub and that it was legal for them to update the Live account with my Microsoft account information. Pretty much a FU and leave us alone. I was kind of pissed but ended up letting it go. It's not like I was never going to sub to Live again but I was waiting a few months. Money was tight back then.

All of these companies seem to think once they get your information, you no longer own it and they do. Even if they grant a refund for an accidental transaction, we are supposed to be grateful that they did us the favor.

kiphalfton

For all my online shoppings, I always use pre-paid credit cards that expire in 1 month and have a fixed amount of cash on it, so by the time the auto renew kicks in, the card is already expired. And if it wasent expired, there was not enough money left on the card to renew anyway.

Honestly, I'm going to just start using privacy.com for subscriptions. Not like you can get a refund after you purchase it... so literally no point using a debit or credit card.

Tams

GeForce Now.

My carrier were offering a few free months. I tried it, but even over their network it was shit (couldn't even play Rayman Legends without severe blocking). I forgot about it for about 10 months.

Nobody would have anything to do with me. Not even a 'sorry but...'.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If you miss it IT’S YOUR FAILT, YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE . It’s nice if they will redact it but don’t complain that YOU can’t be responsible for YOURSELVES.

Celcius

°Temp. member
After I sign up for a monthly/yearly subscription the very first thing I do is immediately unsub and then remove my payment method.
Then for the rest of the time period I enjoy my sub - worry free.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Nope, I remove card info and stop auto renew right when I sign up for something every time. That was if I like it I can just add my card info and click auto-renew.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have a dedicated step for "CANCEL AUTO RENEW" in the mini guide I wrote for people to get cheap game pass lol.

Yes it was learned from experience, but I never forget it anymore.

StueyDuck

Nothing in gaming, but once Adobe got me a good one and those Fuckers do not like to give money back, I wasn't Even paying for the sub for me, a family member needed it for uni and it was meant to just be a one year thing

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's happened to me many times but I admit I've never tried to get a refund. Especially if they send an email ahead of time saying they're going to charge me, well it's my mistake, lesson learned stupid tax paid.

Now if I ran a business I would try to find people who cancel immediately after the renewal, especially if it is an annual thing over $100, and say, "hey did you really want this? If not let's talk", I feel like it's just good business practice, but who gives a shit anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom