• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Auto-Renew bulls*it

Most of you probably know about this feature but I'm so pissed right now that I have to write it off my chest, please bear with me.

I'm only using PS Plus sporadically for a couple of months every year, when there's some multiplayer game I want to try out. I save the "free" games in the library but never really play them.

Earlier today i was checking the store and noticed that I only had $17 left in my wallet, which I found odd because I knew I had added about $40 earlier this year. My first thoughts was that my account had been compromised or that there was some purchase that I had totally forgot about.

No. It was Sony who had taken the liberty to auto-renew my Plus-subscription. I didn't tick any box, I didn't see any "Do you want to auto-renew?" question when I subscribed for three months. I didn't even know they had an auto-renewal function! It's f-king theft despite what their TOS says and they f-king know it!

It's not about the damn money, I have been their customer since the late 90's and probably bought games worth thousands of dollars. But that wasn't enough for Sony. No, those greedy c-nts just had to steal a couple of bucks more. There's no chance in hell I will ever use that service again.

So if you didn't know about this function, please manage your Plus-options or they will take the money straight from the wallet, no questions and no warnings. Also, please spread the word around so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Thanks for listening.

Is this your first time subscribing to some sort of digital service? They all do this, they warn you they do this. It's on you to uncheck auto renew.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I have this same issue. I stopped my auto pay and they recently still took out a 3 month subscription. I'm just gonna remove my credit card info. If it happens again I'll consider more serious action.

I can't say I've had this issue on Xbox...but I've always wanted to stay subscribed to Xbox, as that's where I play most my multiplayer games. Every once in a while I feel like firing up Bloodborne or a fighting game like Tekken or Blazblue (which I prefer on PS4 or PC) and I'll get a PS+ subscription for that

Others do it too so it is your fault OP.

HURRRRR

They tell you auto renew is on, they then tell you where to turn it off if you don't like it. It's a basic process. They literally tell you. If you don't pay enough attention or you forget to turn it off who's fault is that?

PSYGN

Just like with GDPR and making the "Subscribe to _____" unchecked, there needs to be a law to keep auto-renew unchecked during signup as well. I've had that bite me in the ass before, but now I immediately uncheck auto-renew which is often tucked in some hard to find area (and Microsoft even fooled me before with their wording [basically had to confirm twice LOL]). It's a shameful standard today and is a dark pattern.

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned
Just assume everything is on auto renewal. After it happening to me a few times I finally learned and cancel stuff as soon as I pay for it. I got charged for a years amazon prime or something like that after the free month(maybe 6?) ran out. I managed to get it cancelled thank god!

I keep a zero balance and no credit card on file.

My mother cut up my first credit card when the bank sent it out years ago and I've never had one since. It's served me well!

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You know what is weird about the auto renew too is that you can turn it off from the web store. But, even though it’s officially off, it still says it’s on when you check from the console itself. It always made me paranoid that I have to turn it off from both sources.

That’s weird, I turned it off via store and it says off on the console too. Maybe it takes a bit to refresh?

Your contribution to this discussion is zero. I'm playing on a PS since 1997, love the brand and really like what Sony is doing in general.

Why do people get so damn defensive when I point out one negative thing? Almost like they have a financial stake in the business themselves.

That would be one of the Sonys elite AAA roster of warriors..defence mode activated 24/7 , their duty is: to protect and serve 🤣..you shouldn't be surprised by now..buuut, there are a few level headed folks where you can have a productive conversation.

Top Bottom