• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting a refund from Sony… or perhaps I should just shoot myself in the face?

down 2 orth

Bear with me GAF, I needs ta rant.

Here's what happened last month. After cancelling the auto-renew for PS Plus I thought I was in the clear for my big shift to PC gaming. But after playing a PC game with my Sony controller, and forgetting to turn the PS4 off, all that button mashing resulted in me purchasing a year subscription, like three days after it lapsed. Bummer.

Well, we all know Sony is tight with the funds, so I wasn't expecting this to be a cakewalk. And it most certainly wasn't.

I went to their website to get a refund from the Refund Bot. The system was down, probably because of the COVID stuff. Tried again a few times throughout the next week, and I also tried to call their US customer service. Nothing worked.

Finally, today I finally got through to a human representative through their website. After a long, but civil back and forth with a representative, I finally got my case through that I wanted a refund, but couldn't request it within the 14 day refund period as Sony's services were shut down due to the COVID problem. The employee apologized, said he/she understood, but according to company policy no refund could be offered.

FINE. I ask to talk with the supervisor, because I understand that's the person who is authorized to act like a human being from time to time.

I talk with the supervisor, explain my case, and I think I'm finally getting somewhere, but then the supervisor says that a refund can't be granted because I activated a PLUS game after my accidental purchase. In fact, the game was activated today. I'm thinking, what the hell? But sure enough, I go into my library and DIRT 2 is sitting there like a pile of human shit on my doorstep.

WHAT THE HELL? I did NOT activate that game. So I talked to my uncle, the only other person with access to my account, and yup, he downloaded it.

And there we go. Grounds for Sony keeping my (their) $60 bucks, and all I get is fucking Dirt 2. Fuck Fuck FUCKKKKK!!

Blond

Banned
Then just rescind the license and give you your money back, Sony is a fucking joke sometimes lol

kretos

Banned
They got your money ain't nothing you can do

mcmahon-money-gif-3.gif

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This story sounds made up bro lol. You just happened to hit the buttons in a random way to buy a year of plus!? That's some cray bad luck.

But to answer the question, I would say you're SOL. I don't think your uncle did anything wrong unless you deliberately said don't download this it he knew the plus was lapsed.

You could always do a charge back through the credit card company. Your psn account will likely be banned but if you're moving to pc then...

LOLCats

Banned
you know if you didnt have your credit card or payment method saved that wouldnt have happened, unless it was ps money.

besides who leaves payment methods in Sony system now days anyway?

Last edited:

down 2 orth

This story sounds made up bro lol. You just happened to hit the buttons in a random way to buy a year of plus!? That's some cray bad luck.

But to answer the question, I would say you're SOL. I don't think your uncle did anything wrong unless you deliberately said don't download this it he knew the plus was lapsed.

I know! It's super stupid, but it's true.

I guess when you think of it though it makes sense. The Store is the first thing to select on the dashboard, and I had $100 in my Playstation account.

Anyway, I agree it wasn't my uncle's fault. And I guess I can see how the customer service rep could think it's all too bizarre to be true. But two things still have me a bit peeved: 1) Sony wasn't going to extend a period for refunds after their their refund services were down at the peak of the COVID scare. I had to ask to talk to the supervisor for that. And 2) I'm not going to be able to play the Plus game in question AFTER I GET A REFUND FOR THE SERVICE. I think anyone with some sense would have been able to see that, and it all just strikes me as another road block to avoid returning payments to customers.

Dargor

Sony's customer support is worse than a joke, its borderline criminal. I hope something happens that forces them to re-evaluate it, cuz right now, you might as well ask your money back from the italian mob or the government, it would be easier.

Boss Mog

I came in here wanting to be on your side OP but honestly I can't, not even for a second. First off, I've never heard of a DS4 simultaneously controlling a PC game and the PS4, and as somebody who uses a DS4 on PC, I can say it's almost impossible for that to happen. Secondly you're sharing your account with somebody else so it's hard to be on your side. And finally you have payment information stored with Sony which is completely unnecessary but even if you absolutely want to leave it on there for convenience's sake you didn't bother to put any form a confirmation for purchases, be it re-entering the password or enabling 2-step authentication.

What a load of bollocks. Unless you have money in the wallet from before, I dont understand how you can button mash to anywhere especially to confirm a purchase. Also, no company is "tight with funds" lol when it comes to refunds or any legal policy. The earn billions, they dont give a shit about your one time $60. Also, Playstation support is not down due to COVID, what you think its 20 people in total in one office that do support? The guy clearly explains everything for you and you go "give me the supervisor" bitch-card. Let me tell you as someone who was a manager of a place, if it so happens that you reach all the way to me, the only thing you will get from me is an even shorter NO. If my staff are correct but you still want me to talk to you as if there was a difference, shure Ill amuse you. Ill give you 5 seconds of my life and tell you to read the terms and policy. Bye.

down 2 orth

What a load of bollocks. Unless you have money in the wallet from before...

Well that's the thing, it was in the wallet from before.

I'm starting to cool off a bit now. Was never peeved with my uncle to begin with, I didn't even tell him about the situation cuz I don't want to kill his gaming buzz. So I'm going to look at this all with a fresh perspective: I'll get about $20 worth of value from Plus' non-shit offerings in the next ten months, and focus more on the fairly nice income boost I'm getting from my new job. But for that guy who was trying to explain that Sony as an institution can't possibly be stingy as fuck with its money - give me a break. They're total misers, and I know because it takes one to know one.

Top Bottom