• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO confirms Game of Thrones Season 7 will consist of 7 eps and air in Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
PR from HBO. Confirms Summer 2017 start date, directors, and 7 episodes for S7:
HBO said:
The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning series GAME OF THRONES will begin shooting its next season later this summer, it was announced today by Casey Bloys, president, HBO programming. Production of the seven-episode seventh season will be based in Northern Ireland, while additional portions will be filmed in Spain and Iceland, with debut slated for summer 2017 on HBO.

“Now that winter has arrived on GAME OF THRONES, executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss felt that the storylines of the next season would be better served by starting production a little later than usual, when the weather is changing,” said Bloys. “Instead of the show’s traditional spring debut, we’re moving the debut to summer to accommodate the shooting schedule.”

Season seven directors will include Mark Mylod, Jeremy Podeswa, Matt Shakman and Alan Taylor.

Locations for shooting in Spain will include Sevilla, Caceres, Almodovar del Rio, Santiponce, Zumaia and Bermeo.

Last week, GAME OF THRONES received 23 Primetime Emmy® nominations, the most of any nominee for the third year in a row. This year’s nominations include Outstanding Drama Series, 2 for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington), 3 for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series (Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Maisie Williams), Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series (Max von Sydow), 2 for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series (Miguel Sapochnik, Jack Bender) and Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss).

Season seven credits: The executive producers of GAME OF THRONES are David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger and Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, George R.R. Martin and Bryan Cogman; producers, Chris Newman, Greg Spence and Lisa McAtackney.
Most of this had been rumored/discussed for a while, but here's the confirmation.

EDIT: To clarify a few things:

Why is it a shorter season?
They're nearing the end of the story and production is taking longer due to the scale of the episodes.
“I think we’re down to our final 13 episodes after this season. We’re heading into the final lap,” said Benioff.

i'm confused, are there 7 episodes left in total or is there an 8th season also
Yes, there will be an 8th season. It will most likely consist of 6 episodes.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just saw this come up on my twitter feed, sad times...

The wait for this is gonna be painful and then only 7 episodes? Fuuuu

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I heard it's an entire season of sand snake flashback lore. B&W are apparently concerned that the audience does not understand the rich texture of these deep characters.

Sephzilla

Shortening the season by three episodes makes me a little sad. That being said, season 6 brought to end a whole bunch of side/sub-plots so maybe reducing a few episodes will keep the pacing pretty consistent since most of the ongoing story-lines seem to be close to merging together.

NYR

So basically sometime between June 21 2017 and September 22 2017.

As HBO just launched their summer shows this past weekend, put me down for Sunday, July 16 2017 - would out the season finale at the end of August, perfect timing for the start of fall shows and avoiding NFL football.

tomtom94

The reduced episode count is almost certainly because they can't do what they want without using 10 episodes' worth of budget on 7 episodes.

Also, Alan Taylor is back after the Hollywood experiment failed, will be interesting to see what he can do.

They are pretty much doing the Breaking Bad/Mad Men thing of breaking the last season into 2 seasons. While overall we get more episodes, we get less episodes in the year.

aBarreras

Why is it a shorter season? It's not like Martin's going to catch up to the show at this point.

because the show runner already said that they could end the series in about 13 episodes.

and it seems they dont want to stretch, and have filler episodes just to have 10 episodes per season

I'd rather they delay a full year, shoot a full 10 or 12 episode season, and air them in one shot than this weak split season stuff AMC started :(

Why is it a shorter season?
They're nearing the end of the story and production is taking longer due to the scale of the episodes.
“I think we’re down to our final 13 episodes after this season. We’re heading into the final lap,” said Benioff.

i'm confused, are there 7 episodes left in total or is there an 8th season also
Yes, there will be an 8th season. It will most likely consist of 6 episodes.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why is it a shorter season? It's not like Martin's going to catch up to the show at this point.

This..

Is there a reason?

There is only one book left (Season 6 was based on Book 6, Book 7 is supposed to be the last book.) and they are splitting it into two seasons. There obviously isnt enough content for two 10 hour long seasons so they are going to split it into two 7 hour seasons. Just like Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

mjc

The shortened seasons probably frees up some of the budget so they can go larger in scale. This will be necessary for the battles and size of the events.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The shortened seasons probably frees up some of the budget so they can go larger in scale. This will be necessary for the battles and size of the events.

That's why I think this might not be toobad but I'm still bummed out. It'd also make sense because of what we know is coming in season 7 and 8, they'll need a larger budget and more time to spend on each episode.

HvySky

I'm fine with the 7 episode season. Sad that it will be ending sooner rather than later, but if what they have in mind for the show can only fill so many episodes, I'd rather they do what they think is best than try to stretch it out over a full 10 episodes. Waiting until Summer will be a bit of a bummer, though!

Miguel Sapochnik better be there for season 8, though. The series finale, at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom