• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO confirms Game of Thrones Season 7 will consist of 7 eps and air in Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmer_v1

In George R.R. Martin time, that would mean 11 episodes sometime in 2020, followed by 6 episodes in 2024, and maybe the actual final 9 episodes in 2030.

pablito

I don't mind the shorter seasons. Kind of. I'd like more show to watch, but if it's done well then fine.

Really hoping there isn't a year between the final two seasons though. Summer 2017, then early 2018 and I'll stay sane.

My current favorites are The Leftovers (season 2 was the best thing on HBO since the golden days of HBO), Halt & Catch Fire, Mr. Robot, Love, and of course Fargo. While I can watch mediocre crap every once and awhile (I did finish the awful Sons of Anarchy and I''m still watching Vikings, so I'm far from prefect), I hate wasting time with TV. Also I really miss Mad Men bad.

I have yet to watch an episode of The Americans. I need to.

The thing is I usually give a fair chance to any recommendation 3 to 5 episodes and so many have failed the test.

I watched The Leftovers season 1 and I swear I won't give it my time anymore I just could eat all the crap and inconsistencies they were trying to feed me.

So HBO is pretty much splitting up the seasons because their drama output is shit right now and need an extra year to figure it out.

KorrZ

Summer 2017..and shorter episode count...what the hell.

I mean, every god damn episode better have the production value of ep 9 & 10 of Season 6 if they're pulling this. If there's one dull filler episode I'm going to lose it.

Negaiido

I'm glad GOT is nearly over, then I can soon start watching it and see what the hype is about

I'm still not a big fan of Binge watching a tv show.
The speed you will be watching something lessens the experience.
Even though I would love to have both season now I'd bet I would just get disappointed afterwards.
Thus, if I were you I would start watching it now and just watch 1 episode a week/day.

Moozo

I just think this is going to come across as rushed. GOT has never been frightened of taking a little extra time to establish pathos with its characters and settings but I can see this having Harry Potter syndrome where it all ends up too tightly focused towards the end and loses the overall impression.

Sendero

So, do we know if featured director Miguel Sapochnik will return?
His chapters injected a much needed breath of fresh air to the show.

At this point, I only care about the fate of Varis, the Queen of Thorns and my man.. Ser Davos.
Heh, whom I'm kidding? also want to see if there is a Clegane bowl, if Tormund and Brienne become a thing, and one last quip from Bronn.

The thing is I usually give a fair chance to any recommendation 3 to 5 episodes and so many have failed the test.

I watched The Leftovers season 1 and I swear I won't give it my time anymore I just could eat all the crap and inconsistencies they were trying to feed me.

Yes The Leftovers is one show that is hard to recommend, despite how critically acclaimed it became in season 2. All I have to say is I couldn't finish season 1 when it originally aired. I made it to episode 3, and no I was done. That said earlier this year I binged watch season 1 and 2 after hearing about how the show improved, and it is now my favorite series currently airing. Of course all subjective.

mnannola

What are the odds that GRRM releases the next book before next season is finished? At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the whole show is wrapped up before he gets the next book out.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It makes me wonder if Martin's final book is little more than a extended epiologue.

Book? Try books, he has even said he probably has enough material an ideas to add in an 8 book from the 7 he has been saying for the longest time.

cyba89

I have no problem with shorter seasons. If the creators say they need 13 more episodes to end the story then give them 13 more episodes. No reason to needlessy drag it out just to deliver 10 eps per season.

Can't wait to buy the whole series in a sick Bluray Box when it's over.

Nameless

Probably for the best. The average viewer has grown impatient of quieter moments like Tarly family dinners,characters watching plays, slow burn theocratic take overs etc... Besides, no television show can sustain a break neck pace for long.

Lothar

Banned
Even though Better Call Saul isn't as good as Breaking Bad, it's still great and season 2 was way better than the first, so season 3 will probably be even better.

Westworld is also coming soon, that looks really good.

Breaking Bad is my favorite show. I find BCS very boring and low stakes. Ordinary law firm drama is too mundane. I'm sure it will become awesome whenever he becomes Saul.

I love BB, the Sopranos, the Wire, Rome, GOT for the most part. Not getting BCS.

What are the Americans and Fargo about, anybody? Why are they good?

Spladam

No Miguel? =(

Hyped for the next season, it's gonna be a long wait.

Delay the season until Miguel Sapochnik can direct all the episodes.

The absence of Miguel Sapochnik is worrying for me.

Came to post this, I'm really disappointed.

Breaking Bad is my favorite show. I find BCS very boring and low stakes. Ordinary law firm drama is too mundane. I'm sure it will become awesome whenever he becomes Saul.

I love BB, the Sopranos, the Wire, Rome, GOT for the most part. Not getting BCS.

What are the Americans and Fargo about, anybody? Why are they good?
The Wire and Game of Thrones easily sit way at the top for me.

Ridli

Waiting until summer is gonna suck.

Hopefully Sapochnik is unable to direct b/c he injured his back lifting the huge sack of money that Disney/Marvel gave him to make a feature length film.

Madrin

I'm fine with this. It's better than stretching out the seasons with filler. The past two seasons had enough of that.

Ovid

Probably for the best. The average viewer has grown impatient of quieter moments like Tarly family dinners,characters watching plays, slow burn theocratic take overs etc... Besides, no television show can sustain a break neck pace for long.
I was happy to finally meet Sam's family.

This seems a good decision. The show has the ability to be bloated and underdeveloped at the same time, so perhaps a shorter season helps them to deliver a more homogeneous product.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It feels like there's a lot more to wrap up than 13 episodes can handle, with the pace the show goes at. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably for the best though, it's about time the show begins to wrap up. I feel like I've been waiting several seasons for an epic showdown with the white walkers, and someone just needs to take the iron throne for good already.

Need to start watching this, almost done with Rome and finished Spartacus some time ago. Only really seen season 1. Enjoyed it for the story, its characters and the attractive women (I'm a weak, weak man). Heard the show gets tamer in season 6 though, I wonder if the next season will also be pretty tame compared to earlier seasons.

Sober

One interesting thing about the premiere is apparently it puts it out of the nominations for the 2017 Emmys. Which will be interesting because it might mean a year with some different nominees and not the GOT front running we've seen.

I really think, giving how unsatisfied the last season of Lost and Dexter was, that you'd happily treat a shorter season if it doesn't mean them fucking up horrifically.

I'm still not a big fan of Binge watching a tv show.
The speed you will be watching something lessens the experience.
Even though I would love to have both season now I'd bet I would just get disappointed afterwards.
Thus, if I were you I would start watching it now and just watch 1 episode a week/day.

I don't binge watch, just watch at a weekly pace

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
plenty of time to start production on the next high-budget replacement fantasy show, then

Already happening it airs in the fall Westworld.

13 episodes is perfect no need to stretch it out. Look at last season not a ton of filler and was awesome.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

13 eps is too few for Daenerys to not win, so at least in the HBO version she's an even safer bet. Oh well, the show can't be perfect.

Little Finger is the one who is going to save the day. Count on it.

Bitanator

Better be hour and a half episodes in like 4 of the seven, and no filler bullcrap like last season. Though last season was pretty good in that regard so i'm not too worried

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom