• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Max removes 4K and Dolby Vision support for Xbox One and Xbox Series platforms

What do you mostly use to watch your streaming services?

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned

If true, does it have to do with the support of AV1, the new compression that is slightly better than H.265 in compression/quality and open source (no licensing required vs H.265)? PS4 Pro and PS5 support it:

Why AV1? Saves a LOT of data streaming bandwidth = money savings while giving double the quality of H.264 for the same bitrate (or same quality for half the bitrate like Y YCoCg said). It doesn't need to be hardware accelerated, but preferred of course, and does it have to do with RAM complications/split on Xbox?

Seems like the issue is there since last year:

This link is from last year. So the problem seems to be old too.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You mean it gives the same quality for half the bitrate ;)

Or that ;) I think Netflix is like 15Mbps in AV1 for 4K HDR 10-bit?

main-qimg-1b52ac74be2f02c6fcbf61e23eae50ce-pjlq

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I do. I turn off internet to my TV because I hate smart TVs. I might switch to a large monitor.

Then you haven't tried this trick:

My old Sony XD70 tv has a 3.5mm audio jack, so I plug in 2x extension cables for a total of 8 meters. After than you put a splitter at the end of it then two 3.5mm headphones. Enjoy the film without making noise with your waifu, especially if there is a kid around.

Think Season 2 GIF by NBC

digdug2

It's got to be a glitch or unintended side effect from a SW update. I highly doubt that it's malice toward paying customers that happen to be using an Xbox.

mrmustard

Banned
Yes, it is the best option imo. Smart TV's often have poor wi-fi or laggy interfaces, and in my experence, gets funky with external sound equipment. PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Series are all in my experience, fast and simple, all in one boxes.
Depends on the tv i guess, but any decent tv can do this. I got a Sony 65X94K which is far from highend or super expensive, but everything works like a charm including my Samsung soundbar.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Depends on the tv i guess, but any decent tv can do this. I got a Sony 65X94K which is far from highend or super expensive, but everything works like a charm including my Samsung soundbar.

Yeah mostly these other TV's like LG, Samsung that use proprietary OS vs Android. My Sony XD70 since 2016 hasn't stopped updating for nearly 7 years and my other LG stopped after 1.5 year and full of annoying bugs.

Thabass

This is very odd. What's the point of this? I use Apple TV, for TV streaming so it doesn't really affect me too much, but it doesn't make any sense to me why they would get rid of a big feature like this...unless Sony got into WB's ear.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I never get a good bitrate for streaming in here. Does not matter where I am playing it.

Where it pains me the most is tha Quest 2 app, shit quality, but nice ambiance. Really helps me to get into the movie, but when it is constantly "blocking" its unwatchable

wvnative

I wholly admit this is mostly coming from my experience with 2015/2016 TV's, it maybe better now. But, in my bedroom, I just default to my consoles, it's my main mode of operation and they just work for me as I expect. For our living room, the TV is a much older smart tv that barely kept it's wi-fi connection, and now they discontinued most of the apps on it anyway. We should upgrade it, but we mostly binge watch older shows so buying a new 4k tv makes little sense, still looks great on the shows we watch, we use an xbox one x.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is very odd. What's the point of this? I use Apple TV, for TV streaming so it doesn't really affect me too much, but it doesn't make any sense to me why they would get rid of a big feature like this...unless Sony got into WB's ear.

AV1 support is all that comes to mind so far, no other conclusion.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I wholly admit this is mostly coming from my experience with 2015/2016 TV's, it maybe better now. But, in my bedroom, I just default to my consoles, it's my main mode of operation and they just work for me as I expect. For our living room, the TV is a much older smart tv that barely kept it's wi-fi connection, and now they discontinued most of the apps on it anyway. We should upgrade it, but we mostly binge watch older shows so buying a new 4k tv makes little sense, still looks great on the shows we watch, we use an xbox one x.

No need to upgrade the TV, mate. In worst case scenario:

51M+qQwzrdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just plug it into any of your HDMI ports and enjoy.

Last edited:

wvnative

No need to upgrade the TV, mate. In worst case scenario:

51M+qQwzrdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Just plug it into any of your HDMI ports and enjoy.

Why the hell would I buy that when the Xbox One X we already use works great?

nowhat

Do people really use their consoles to watch stuff? The power consumption is too high in my opinion.
Yeah, this. I should like to think people having a current gen console have also a TV with contemporary apps*).

*) Which suck, sure, but they're not that better on a console.

Top Bottom