• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Max removes 4K and Dolby Vision support for Xbox One and Xbox Series platforms

What do you mostly use to watch your streaming services?

• Total voters

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes, it is the best option imo. Smart TV's often have poor wi-fi or laggy interfaces, and in my experence, gets funky with external sound equipment. PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Series are all in my experience, fast and simple, all in one boxes.
Apple TV 4K is the best option.

Damn Xbox, you can't do even simple industry standard correctly.
I assume this is on xbox and not some back door shady Sony money under table thing.

I gave up on my built in Samsung Apps as they never get updated and Crunchyroll bailed.
Bought that Apple TV 4k, expensive but worth it. Everything works including HBO Max watching LOU with all the bells and whistles.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
AV1 saves them a lot of money and gives you less features. AKA a scam.

Breaking Bad What GIF by For(bes) The Culture

spons

Gold Member
First, AV1 exists because companies like HBO and Netflix do not want to pay royalties to other formats such as HEVC, so they grouped together and made their own.
Second, it saves them a lot of bandwidth because video streams can of a smaller size than competing formats.
Third, with all that money saving business in the back of your mind: they still remove 4k and Dolby Vision.

Conclusion: fuck HBO, their service is a scam, AV1 exists because solely for $$$ reasons and hardware decoding is poo-poo right now because only the latest and greatest (three fiddy percent of the world) supports it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
First, AV1 exists because companies like HBO and Netflix do not want to pay royalties to other formats such as HEVC, so they grouped together and made their own.
Second, it saves them a lot of bandwidth because video streams can of a smaller size than competing formats.
Third, with all that money saving business in the back of your mind: they still remove 4k and Dolby Vision.

Conclusion: fuck HBO, their service is a scam, AV1 exists because solely for $$$ reasons and hardware decoding is poo-poo right now because only the latest and greatest (three fiddy percent of the world) supports it.

Interesting, but AV1 actually supports up to 8K@120fps 4:2:2 HDR 10-bit or something, but Dolby Vision is proprietary which deflates the purpose of going AV1 in the first place. HDR10 can still support up to 4,000nits though, let alone HDR10+. Are they better than Dolby Vision? Most likely no, but who cares if most films are mastered at 300-400nits for steaming and theatres?

HDR sRGB Graphics Test (400 nits)​

Series of sRGB graphics graded to 400 nits in a Dolby Vision container.

NOTE: Added a poll.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do people really use their consoles to watch stuff? The power consumption is too high in my opinion.
I did when I watched NF. I don’t use NF anymore so it doesn’t matter now, but the NF app on my Sony 900e tv barely works. It takes forever to load despite an Ethernet cord being plugged right into the tv.

The Tv uses some kind of google Oreo OS and it’s trash.

So I’d just use NF app on my Xbox and it works fine.

Last edited:

El Muerto

I'm just going to continue using my $20 4k Onn android streamer from walmart. You waste too much power using a console for streaming video.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I use my Xbox controller for everything. It controls my sound bar, tv, and Xbox. I never use the tv remote. I don’t know what anyone would use the tv app when most of the interfaces suck.

Not sure about that, mate. My TV is old (2016) and all streaming apps running smooth and good. Actually due to continuous updates throughout the years (Android) the OS has at least become 2x better than when I bought it back then.

Back when I had a "dumb tv" I used my xbox one for the apps, and I even slightly continued using it with my series x/smart tv, but then I found out HDR is completely broken on all of the apps on the series x, so I stopped and just use the TV and it's overall a much better experience IMO; haven't used the console apps since.

Gamerguy84

Yes, it is the best option imo. Smart TV's often have poor wi-fi or laggy interfaces, and in my experence, gets funky with external sound equipment. PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Series are all in my experience, fast and simple, all in one boxes.

Yep my Vizio used to be snappy. After a fee years the UI got laggy as hell. Meanwhile I have a roku that's 4 years old on a dumb TV that was still very fast.

I went and bought 2 more Roku4K streaming sticks for my other two. Now I have 4 TVs in the house that all use the same OS.

Beechos

My series x is prob my main media hub. I would like to think the power of a console is way faster than any streaming player or onboard smart tv chip. If im not using my xbox its toss up of either roku 4k or apple tv 4k. I find apple tv faster than the roku but i like the roku interface more.

Drew1440

Never heard of it before. But $200 kinda expensive? Any bitrate advantage?
The later models (2019) can upscale and filter HD content to 4K using its GPU. Not as good as getting 4K from the provider itself but useful if the service tops out at 1080p. Its also the best way to play GTA: Liberty City Stories.

Do people really use their consoles to watch stuff? The power consumption is too high in my opinion.
It made sense in the PS360 era when smart TVs and streaming devices were non-existent or in their infancy. Nowadays most people I know use the apps that run on the TV, or use a streaming box from their cable TV provider which has its own suite of streaming apps. I guess some people have console connected to monitors instead or have a limited amount of HDMI ports, or some are just lazy as hell and cant be bothered to switch HDMI ports.

WoodyStare

Wait when is this supposed to happen? It still supports 4k and Dolby Vision.
Still says the same thing on my end. I will admit though to having occasional issues with the app not playing content in 4K or Dolby Vision on my consoles or smart TV. If you look online, this has been a common issue for some time that they haven’t fixed for whatever reason. Usually a reboot or reinstalling the app fixes it. I’d be surprised if the feature was completely removed from Xbox.

phant0m

I tried the HBO app yesterday on PS5 and it stutters like a bitch, it doesn’t do that on my Chromecast 4K

Back when I had a "dumb tv" I used my xbox one for the apps, and I even slightly continued using it with my series x/smart tv, but then I found out HDR is completely broken on all of the apps on the series x, so I stopped and just use the TV and it's overall a much better experience IMO; haven't used the console apps since.

Sadly console streaming apps have always been a subpar/inconsistent experience. I use the native apps on my C8 OLED and Apple TV in other places.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have a $1,000 vizio soundbar that has side speakers that rotate up every time they detect atmos content and the hbo app on my lg cx fails to rotate the dishes speakrrs half the time.

Sometimes the audio goes out completely if i skip the intro or the previously on clips. No issues with atmos on vudu and Disney.

Top Bottom