• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Headphones for good surround sound

TANKFARM

So I am trying to figure out a good setup with headphones. In the past on my Xbox 360 I used Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s with an Astro Gaming Wireless Mixamp 5.8 for virtual 5.1 surround sound. So I have this old setup up available but there are few things I had questions about now that I am planning on using headphones on the Xbox One and there is the option for both Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos for headphones. Keep in my mind that audio localization is probably one of the most important qualities I am concerned with for the games I play. Being able to tell someone is coming up behind me in Gears of War is huge and my home theatre system does this well.

-My current Audio Technica + mic is unfortunately not wireless and I would be interested in considering a completely wireless system, but from what I understand the Audio Technica are pretty darn good performance wise. Is it worth waiting for or considering either the RIG 800LX or the Lucid LS35X? How about the Turtlebeach 420X

-Is there any reason to buy headphones that come with their own virtual 5.1 or 7.1 dolby digital processors (like the Astro Mixamps) when the Xbox One has the ability to output both Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos? For example, is the increased cost of the Turtlebeach 800 over the 420x worth it for the Dolby 7.1?

-I have read a few comments about the Xbox controllers audio output being inadequate to drive nicer headphones and that they should be connected directly to a home receiver. Is this likely the case if I choose to use my Audio Technica by connecting them directly into the Xbox controller? Would I be better off still using the Mixamp to drive the Audio Technica headphones but just turn off any of the DSP or 5.1 features? Or should I use the headphone output on my Pioneer receiver to drive the headphones and choose the option on the Xbox sound setting to output the Dobly Atmos headphone over the optical output?

Top Bottom