• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads Up Everyone !! Halo 3 Limited Edition Big Disc Problems !!

So I returned my previous scratched copy and my new one, I'm happy to report, is 100% scratch free. :D

Though I thought it was quite funny when I saw the game disc:

27092007168.jpg

The nub that secures the disc is about a third way from the bottom that the disc just barely fits and clips in.

Again no protective foam though (and I'm from Australia), but as I said, the discs are scratch free and anyways, I keep all my 360 games out of the cases and in a CD/DVD wallet so I'm not complaining.

ascully

Mine arrived scratched yesterday I took it back to EB and he said they were under instructions from head office not to exchange them. I got the MS form off the website and mailed both discs back this morning, the lady on the phone at MS said they are trying to turn them around in 3-4 days though so it might not be as bad as 2 weeks.

Anyhow I shipped them this morning lets see how long it takes to get new ones back. Both discs were so scratched the were unreadable BTW

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
My game disc had very, very minor scratching and was off the nub. Game works fine.

It's weird, because the disc actually feels really secure when you put it on the nub.

Kusagari

Just got mine and the game disc looks scratched as hell. The bonus disc has some smudges but overall looks far better. The weirdest thing is I put them back on the nub, and to test started shaking the box around wildly and neither came off at all. It can't be that loose so did MS not even bother fully putting them on or something?

Kusagari said:
Just got mine and the game disc looks scratched as hell. The bonus disc has some smudges but overall looks far better. The weirdest thing is I put them back on the nub, and to test started shaking the box around wildly and neither came off at all. It can't be that loose so did MS not even bother fully putting them on or something?

thats what i've heard....

MoxManiac

ascully said:
Mine arrived scratched yesterday I took it back to EB and he said they were under instructions from head office not to exchange them. I got the MS form off the website and mailed both discs back this morning, the lady on the phone at MS said they are trying to turn them around in 3-4 days though so it might not be as bad as 2 weeks.

Anyhow I shipped them this morning lets see how long it takes to get new ones back.

What? That's BS, what the hell is wrong with them? (the EB thing)

LOcKY

i believe it is against the law not to exchange a faulty product. NEVER EVER BACK DOWN especially if the law is on your side

Petrae

MoxManiac said:
What? That's BS, what the hell is wrong with them? (the EB thing)

I'm not sure why we got the directive from corporate on this. I'm assuming that, because there was such a widespread issue, most (if not all) of the LEs are going back to MS and GameStop doesn't want any part of this problem.

It seemed kinda silly, since we were warning those who were buying the game up front about the issue and that we were not responsible for exchanges once the product was open-- it had a very Russian Roulette feel to it. You open it, and there's a good chance that it's gonna be scratched-- but it's Microsoft's screw-up, not GameStop's, so... take it up with them.

That's the perceived attitude, anyway.

Manp

stupid Microsoft... i opened a Limited at the shop and it was scratched so i went for the standard version. the guy at the shop wasn't really in the mood to open everyone of them to give me a good one.

:)

LOcKY

cjelly said:
Good luck proving that you didn't do it yourself.
thats easy due to the fact that
A: you opened the game in the store in front of a witness
B: its a WIDE SPREAD problem and not down to just the individual

mmm maybe i need to play some more PW to avoid loopholes

MechDX

My bonus disc came loose and not the game disc. I did open a second one at the store that wasnt scratched as bad as the first and took it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It appears that this might be a problem after all.

Both discs loose (I could hear them rattling around the moment I picked up the Amazon box), but they play fine.

Petrae said:
I'm not sure why we got the directive from corporate on this. I'm assuming that, because there was such a widespread issue, most (if not all) of the LEs are going back to MS and GameStop doesn't want any part of this problem.

It seemed kinda silly, since we were warning those who were buying the game up front about the issue and that we were not responsible for exchanges once the product was open-- it had a very Russian Roulette feel to it. You open it, and there's a good chance that it's gonna be scratched-- but it's Microsoft's screw-up, not GameStop's, so... take it up with them.

That's the perceived attitude, anyway.

That's a pretty crappy point when distributors guarantee their merchandise for a certain amount of time. If I bought a laptop at say best buy and it had a faulty board and didn't work I wouldn't put up with them saying too bad deal with the manufacturer when they have a return policy for defective items. You can't dick the customer over because you decide to ignore the issue.

Petrae

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
That's a pretty crappy point when distributors guarantee their merchandise for a certain amount of time. If I bought a laptop at say best buy and it had a faulty board and didn't work I wouldn't put up with them saying too bad deal with the manufacturer when they have a return policy for defective items. You can't dick the customer over because you decide to ignore the issue.

I don't disagree; in fact, I was rather surprised when I heard this news before my shift yesterday. I know that my store had very few extra copies of the LE to swap out, and no more were expected... so exchanging wasn't really an option. In fact, the LEs aren't even for sale anymore on the website, which fuels speculation that GameStop is absolving itself of this problem.

To expand on your example, if a small percentage of laptops was faulty, you could easily exchange it in-house; however, if a substantial percentage (maybe 33% or more) was defective, it doesn't make much sense to keep giving laptops out until you get it right; at the same time, there's no guarantee from the manufacturer that the seller will recoup or receive the revenues lost from the manufacturer's negligence.... and the product is now opened... so it's not the the consumer cannot get a replacement at all. The consumer must go directly through the manufacturer's warranty.

LAMBO

This kind of problem must really have all the publishers nice and pissed off.

This is the biggest game of next gen so far, alot of people are going to have this problem, this will make people think twice before ordering limited editions of any game from here on out(i would hope at least).

LAMBO said:
This is the biggest game of next gen so far, alot of people are going to have this problem, this will make people think twice before ordering limited editions of any game from here on out(i would hope at least).
Rather than that, I'd hope it encourages every publisher to get their hands on reliable packing for their limited edition versions. It's not going to stop me ordering a limited edition - but it is going to ensure that I only order limited editions from somewhere I can swap the game out locally.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Kusagari said:

I think that is the case as well because when I got my LE this morning the bonus DVD was loose. When I put it back on the nub it was stuck there solidly like pretty much every other game I've ever bought.

Thankfully my bonus DVD wasn't scratched at all and my game disc is obviously perfect since it hadn't come off.

sol_bad

Mine arrived today from America (I'm in Australia) and it was scratched to hell and back. There was also a huge mother fucker of a deep scratch towards the centre.
This is totally unacceptable for an LE copy of a game.

itsme

Banned
With my experience with LE, 4 of us got LEs, the one with loose discs have nub that is too loose to hold the disc tightly, whereas the one with discs on it seems to have the nub holding quite tightly. I think, there are two versions (batches) of LE cases, or there manufacturing standard wasn't there.

"To expand on your example, if a small percentage of laptops was faulty, you could easily exchange it in-house; however, if a substantial percentage (maybe 33% or more) was defective, it doesn't make much sense to keep giving laptops out until you get it right; at the same time, there's no guarantee from the manufacturer that the seller will recoup or receive the revenues lost from the manufacturer's negligence.... and the product is now opened... so it's not the the consumer cannot get a replacement at all. The consumer must go directly through the manufacturer's warranty."

Ya, I actually started thinking about it after I posted, but I still feel they should at least swap until they run out or something. I think it's great that microsoft is trying to correct the situation but if you send them in I don't see you getting them in a week's time or even two weeks. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong though.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Halo 3 came out in Japan today. I got the Limited Edition, and after I paid for it, I took the box and shook it in front of the clerk, telling him that I read on the internet that many copies of the game are scratched. All I got in return was "if there's a problem, contact Microsoft." But I couldn't hear anything moving when I shook the box.

This is what was inside. The game disc and bonus disc were both securely fastened to the plastic holders, and the game disc side has some foam packing for extra protection. Is this the same as the inside of the U.S. box?

1446185135_267fddb01f.jpg

1446185149_a8bdd6c272.jpg

gray_fox224

Lyte Edge said:
Halo 3 came out in Japan today. I got the Limited Edition, and after I paid for it, I took the box and shook it in front of the clerk, telling him that I read on the internet that many copies of the game are scratched. All I got in return was "if there's a problem, contact Microsoft." But I couldn't hear anything moving when I shook the box.

This is what was inside. The game disc and bonus disc were both securely fastened to the plastic holders, and the game disc side has some foam packing for extra protection. Is this the same as the inside of the U.S. box?

naw man, Japan and the Auzzies have the foam, not us yanks =(

Pakman

Kusagari said:

I'd imagine if you dropped the case with the discs a few times on a hard solid floor it would jolt it enough to rip it free. Which I'd imagine happened a lot during shipment.

Both my disc where lose and scratched, the extra's disc pretty heavily and the game disc slightly. Thankfully both of them work without any issues throughout the game.

Blutonium

I was one of the first to pick up my copy at the store yesterday. When I got it I immediately checked it out, and yeah, there were some scratches on te game disc. I told the cashier about it and he gave me another copy without any hesitation. So I checked that one's game-disc...spotless. I put it back and walk to my car, about a 5 minute walk. I get in the car, checked the box, and totally forgot there was a second disc :lol . Luckily the second disc didn't have any scratches either...

pringles

My game disc was loose and a bit scratched, nothing too serious though, maybe a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. It has worked perfectly so far.
The bonus disc was firmly in place.

Also, the metal case was a bit dented, the lid has trouble keeping shut because of it.

I wonder if Microsoft will revise the US version with the Foam and start shipping out newer versions of the collectors edition to retail stores?

Lyte Edge said:

I finally got a US CE that was perfect after going through a dozen or so copies.

Where can I get a nice foam insert like this for my US version collectors edition ?

Will Microsoft release a revised version in the US with the foam padding or better disc holding system or are they done with the colllectors edition here in the US?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Hooterville said:
Will Microsoft release a revised version in the US with the foam padding or better disc holding system or are they done with the colllectors edition here in the US?

microsoft is "collecting" that edition in some landfill as we speak. they'll probably have a revised edition in a matter of weeks.

bitching and complaining is fine, but we can all rest easy knowing that just like the RROD travesty, microsoft is feeling this bumbling in their wallet as well (although on a much smaller scale). sooner or later they'll get their heads out of their arses long enough to smell the fresh "quality" air :D

ascully

I just wanted to update you guys on the official halo 3 ce disc swap you can do through MS. I sent mine off last Wednesday and they arrived back today with a free 1 month live card. Pretty quick turnaround for sure I am impressed. They come in a standard bubble envelope in paper sleeves and they are in perfect condition thank god.

halo3pp3.jpg

IzumiK

Banned
ascully said:
I just wanted to update you guys on the official halo 3 ce disc swap you can do through MS. I sent mine off last Wednesday and they arrived back today with a free 1 month live card. Pretty quick turnaround for sure I am impressed. They come in a standard bubble envelope in paper sleeves and they are in perfect condition thank god.

It's not good until they fix your case. Otherwise you just have Dust: Collector's Edition. What good is the LE if you can't even carry it around in the case?

ascully

I will put the paper sleeves inside the case, and they will be just fine, I dont really care about the case much anyway I just want to be able to play the game.

"It's not good until they fix your case. Otherwise you just have Dust: Collector's Edition. What good is the LE if you can't even carry it around in the case?"

What are you talking about?

MaX_PL

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
"It's not good until they fix your case. Otherwise you just have Dust: Collector's Edition. What good is the LE if you can't even carry it around in the case?"

What are you talking about?

he's trolling.

ascully said:

halo3pp3.jpg

LOL , no case? screw that, the case is cool ... no case is NOT.

Not only did u have to wait a week? but they didnt even return the case? thats retarded.

"he's trolling."

Kinda figured, that's the only reason he posts :/

Why are so many people convinced you have to send in the case? You only send in the disks..

ascully

I didnt have to send the case away just the discs . Anyhow I just wanted to let people know how MS were handling the problem I dont want to cause any arguments :)

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
ascully said:
I didnt have to send the case away just the discs . Anyhow I just wanted to let people know how MS were handling the problem I dont want to cause any arguments :)

You're not happy till trolls say you are.

Top Bottom