• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heads up: Net Neutrality proposal voting begins today

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...-fccs-vote-overturn-net-neutrality/101803682/

Net neutrality - what does it really mean? Time

The Federal Communications Commission is expected Thursday to vote to begin a process to overturn net neutrality rules passed in 2015.

Three weeks ago, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai proposed the reversal of those regulations, which prevented Internet service providers (ISPs) from throttling or blocking content online, and were passed by a Democrat-controlled commission.

Pai, a Republican named as chairman by President Trump in January, along with Commissioner Michael O'Rielly, also a Republican, opposed those rules at the time as heavy-handed and anti-competitive. The proposal, scheduled to be voted on at the commission's meeting Thursday morning in Washington, looks to reverse those 2015 rules' reliance on utility-style regulation based on The Communications Act of 1934.

Also to be considered: the elimination of a "vague" Internet conduct standard meant to prevent ISPs from unreasonable interference with consumer's access to destinations on the Net; whether to keep or modify the rules prohibiting ISPs from blocking and throttling content or from prioritizing some content over other content, possibly for payment; and preparation of a cost-benefit analysis on possible regulations.

With only a three-member commission — Commissioner Mignon Clyburn is the lone Democrat — the measure is expected to pass and set into motion a four-month period of public comment (initial comments are due July 17 and replies to them due Aug. 16).

The FCC has already received more than 1.6 million comments since Pai announced the plan last month. Before the 2015 rules were passed, the agency got a record 4 million
comments

Stay subversive gaf.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30095-1428692837-24.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-9008-1428692851-5.gif

Paltheos

I did what I could here. Follow John Oliver's advise and send feedback on this legislation. If you haven't already, check out his more recent video on net neutrality and follow the link he provides in the description to the FCC website to give them your view.

I'm watching the open hearing now. There's also a rally happening outside the Federal Communications Commission to save net neutrality.

I did what I could here. Follow John Oliver's advise and send feedback on this legislation. If you haven't already, check out his more recent video on net neutrality and follow the link he provides in the description to the FCC website to give them your view.

I have, but Pai has been pretty shameless in all of this. I'm just trying to Pace myself

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

it would be helpful to know where to send it to?

Apologies for the double post, but I want something to be made clear here:

Even if they succeed in repealing Title II months from now, understand that ISPs are not about to go on some Nazi-like, Hitler-esque March where they throttle and censor every single site imaginable.

They're not stupid to invest in a strategy like that, as it will only make them lose money in the long run. Unlike the government, they're actually businesses that needs a lot of good PR. Yes, I know there isn't exactly much choice for many when it comes to ISPs, but at the end of the day they still need to satisfy their customers.

That's not to mention all the lawsuits that will come from everybody should they try to be shameless with picking winners and losers that I'm sure they'd like to avoid.

They also know that a democratic congress and FCC in the future could easily put the rules back again.

But this is only if the fights keep up and people don't stop making their voices heard. So don't lose conviction.

Did this happen in the years before the Title II rules were implemented? During E3 I could imagine, but people need to get their facts straight on what's being debated here.

I'm not completely doom and gloom on the effects of this passing; for instance I think that "tiered internet pricing" image that gets posted every thread is almost certainly never going to happen.

But, while legally we'll be at the same state before Net Neutrality passed, wasn't the whole thing stopping the telecoms before the threat that something would happen if they did start extorting content providers? My understanding is that the Net Neutrality rulings only passed once Comcast's protection racket against Netflix was publicized.

If so, I'd take this as tacit approval from the FCC for telecoms to extort money from content providers. I'm sure they'll get a lot more brazen about it than they were before NN was passed.

daveo42

Banned
Fuck Pai and his shit-eating grin. Goodbye open internet and hello access tiers and throttled apps/sites/streams that aren't owned or operated by your ISP.

NeOak

Even if they succeed in repealing Title II months from now, understand that ISPs are not about to go on some Nazi-like, Hitler-esque March where they throttle and censor every single site imaginable.

They're not stupid to invest in a strategy like that, as it will only make them lose money in the long run. Unlike the government, they're actually businesses that needs a lot of good PR. Yes, I know there isn't exactly much choice for many when it comes to ISPs, but at the end of the day they still need to satisfy their customers.

That's not to mention all the lawsuits that will come from everybody should they try to be shameless with picking winners and losers that I'm sure they'd like to avoid.

They also know that a democratic congress and FCC in the future could easily put the rules back again.

But this is only if the fights keep up and people don't stop making their voices heard. So don't lose conviction.
Good PR? In a world where Comcast exists? In a world where you only have one choice for ISP?

Pfffffffffffffff

Ryuuroden

If there is a massive public outcry and isp s get called out for actions they take they will likely hold back from actually taking advantage of the change until a few years pass and they see if its reimplimented or not or if the public stops being vigilant. I have a feeling they will wait till after 2018 elections before deciding on any fuckery so keep being vocal. Isps will want to know which way the wind is blowing and how hard.

Fuck Pai and his shit-eating grin. Goodbye open internet and hello access tiers and throttled apps/sites/streams that aren't owned or operated by your ISP.

Good PR? In a world where Comcast exists? In a world where you only have one choice for ISP?

Pfffffffffffffff

Like I said, ISPs aren't stupid. They know what people are afraid of and aren't going to be blatant if this shit goes through.

daveo42

Banned
Unlikely to happen if this goes through, but keep making your voice heard.

Like I said, ISPs aren't stupid. They know what people are afraid of and aren't going to be blatant if this shit goes through.

It won't be a night/day kind of thing, but it'll happen over time. Basically the frog in boiling water analogy where things gradually change slowly enough that people don't realized their fucked until it's already too late. Hopefully there is enough opposition to these changes to keep them from happening, but I have my doubts.

I'm sorry but that's bullshit. Many people don't have a choice in their broadband company and the companies that do provide broadband are practically colluding with one another. That's why data caps and shit like that exist; there's no other options. And when new options pop up, the government crushes them due to the telecom lobby. The internet is an essential utility now for most people and the telecoms know this.

Top Bottom