• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Net neutrality comment deadline is tomorrow; 21.9 million comments in so far

You have until midnight Eastern Time tomorrow night (Wednesday) to file comments on the Federal Communications Commission plan to deregulate broadband service and roll back net neutrality rules.

There are 21.9 million filings on the FCC's "Restoring Internet Freedom" docket already, blowing away the four million received before the 2015 decision that imposed net neutrality rules. Many comments are apparently from spam bots and form letters, but Chairman Ajit Pai's proposal to undo net neutrality rules has received massive attention.
More in the link.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/net-neutrality-comment-deadline-is-tomorrow-21-9-million-comments-in-so-far/
If you live in the United States and have not filled a comment, you should do it now.

Beartruck

I already did, but it feels like this is something Pai is doing for the sake of going through proper procedure. He won't budge his opinion on it one inch. Maybe it'll be helpful if this goes to court but who knows.

Izayoi

Banned
I already did, but it feels like this is something Pai is doing for the sake of going through proper procedure. He won't budge his opinion on it one inch. Maybe it'll be helpful if this goes to court but who knows.
Yep.

"After careful consideration of your feedback, we've decided that you can all go fuck yourselves."

Occam

Yeah, I doubt any of this matters. Nobody will ever read those comments.

Iolo

It's a farce. Afterward they'll say that 95% of the comments were in support of net neutrality, but they looked like form letters, and therefore didn't count. Only letters from corporate lawyers and donors count.

Makki

The corporations will win because that's the way our goverment works. I filed anyway but expect to be told to eat shit and pay for internet packages in the near future.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The corporations will win because that's the way our goverment works. I filed anyway but expect to be told to eat shit and pay for internet packages in the near future.

They win cause most consumers will never sue them for using throttling and not proper SQM or Anti bufferbloat tech. When you get ignorant consumers, ignorant legislative leader and judicial branch that is equally ignorant you get edge providers pulling this crap.

You like others could sue them for running a false racket they create. The data is there and all it takes is a few cases to show how they rig networks make them worse and then charge your unfairly for bandwidth costs related to the crappy network they make you use.

Keasar

"Executive Order: Net Neutrality is fake news so I say no Net Neutrality cause it makes us look weak. #MAGA. #Teamwork!"

Is this going to affect the rest of the world in any way?

I would assume that many sites hosted in America not paying that potential (inevitable) extra fee would start loading slower for the rest of us as well.

Then again, I think most if not nearly all non-giant sites hosting would ditch the US. immediately and move to Europe.

They won't consider a single comment or message.

They work for the cable companies and cellular carriers.

They will collude and gouge and throttle and fastlane and fuck it all up.

frontovik

Banned
If the "powers that be" want to force out net neutrality, they'll get their way.

Nice gestures of democratic showings though.

Dr.Acula

Banned
It will be interesting to see how this plays out in relation to the rest of the world. Will tech companies leave the US for "bandwidth havens?" Will US throttling end up slowing down the rest of the world?

These comments will matter in court, folks.

It's one thing with Pai, it's another thing with court.

And even so, this isn't going to cripple the entire internet. ISPs aren't going to go on a mass throttling and censoring rampage when that would pretty much validate everyone's fears and ensure that a future Dem congress and FCC will restrict them back to high heaven.

See here: https://www.wired.com/2017/04/fccs-plans-gut-net-neutrality-just-might-fail

Make no mistake, your comments DO matter in this process.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in relation to the rest of the world. Will tech companies leave the US for "bandwidth havens?" Will US throttling end up slowing down the rest of the world?

This only affects American ISPs.

The entire internet all over the world isn't getting slowed down because of this.

EDIT: Double post, sorry.

Top Bottom