• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comcast/others submitting false FCC User Comments on Net Neutrality

RCSI

Apologies for the double post, but does anybody think that Pai's proposal has any chance of holding up in court?

With the way Title II has survived federal courts before, and how Pai's logic relies on false ISP funded research, I feel like Pai is blowing his load too much on the battle, and not the war.

This WIRED article probably explains it better:

Why The FCC's Plan to Gut Net Neutrality Just Might Fail

Congress could conceivably pass legislation that prohibits the FCC from making net neutrality rules. Either way, I hope these efforts fail hard for Pai and the GOP in Congress.

Congress could conceivably pass legislation that prohibits the FCC from making net neutrality rules. Either way, I hope these efforts fail hard for Pai and the GOP in Congress.

I don't really see that happening with the way things are right now in congress. AFAIK If it's new legislation, it needs 60 votes to break a filibuster.

KingV

Apologies for the double post, but does anybody think that Pai's proposal has any chance of holding up in court?

With the way Title II has survived federal courts before, and how Pai's logic relies on false ISP funded research, I feel like Pai is blowing his load too much on the battle, and not the war.

This WIRED article probably explains it better:

Why The FCC's Plan to Gut Net Neutrality Just Might Fail

Great link man. That gives me some hope.

Ajit Pai is evil. I hate him on a Trump level.

Zenner

Getting concerned people to send in a pre-worded template statement of support/opposition is nothing new. Sending them in using the names and matching addresses of unwitting participants is crazy, though.

I found my name listed, but the address doesn't match - so not me, in this case.

Has there been any corroboration that the name/address combos are pulled from Comcast's database of former/current subscribers? I've read through several of the links on the OP website, and while it looks suspicious as all get-out, it's not 100% definitive fact.

Has there been any corroboration that the name/address combos are pulled from Comcast's database of former/current subscribers? I've read through several of the links on the OP website, and while it looks suspicious as all get-out, it's not 100% definitive fact.

I'm sure there is some news organization right now trying to contact as many people on that list as they can. Probably have on camera interviews with a few as well.

Serious question: If Net Neutrality goes away and the field gets deregulated what are the ramifactions for Netflix, Amazon, and game companies that have emphasis on online multiplayer? Would less people be online? Would Brick & Mortar, physical media, and print papers make a comeback?

Serious question: If Net Neutrality goes away and the field gets deregulated what are the ramifactions for Netflix, Amazon, and game companies that have emphasis on online multiplayer? Would less people be online? Would Brick & Mortar, physical media, and print papers make a comeback?

The ramifications for this will be targeting left leaning news first. Then centrist news.

Not necessarily.

What's most likely to happen is that video streaming services may end up being slightly more expensive depending on how much ISPs want to charge them.

We'll probably be seeing a lot more web services being data-free under certain ISPs. A process known as "Zero-Rating".

It's hard to say just how much it will be, since ISPs know that a court, Dem congress, and/or presidency in the future could reverse whatever decision today's FCC makes. So they may not invest too much into it.

Pretty much what I thought would happen all along. Comcast, Verizon, etc. are not in any hurry to fight for net neutrality. They are not on the consumers' side, and never will be. There is a reason they pull billions in revenue year after year.

It's hard to say what will happen, but considering just how shameless these big companies are becoming, and a government who very clearly doesn't give two shits to stop these big monopolies from going hog wild, it doesn't inspire much hope, especially if they take it away piece by piece, boiling frog and all of that. At this point, the only real hope is probably the court system. I doubt a change in government will matter much, once freedoms are taken away they are rarely given back without blood being spilled. Maybe a bluer federal government would hedge them as monopolies, though, but I doubt net neutrality will ever be returned if it's fully taken away. So, donate to ACLU and EFF, they might be the last stand.

Yeah I'm sure businesses are interested in being pro consumer and thrilled about paying more employees to keep up with the need for brick and mortar stores

inner-G

Banned
I wish I knew how to program a bot that would take a current auto-generated claim, and file a duplicate one with the exact same consumer info, but from the other side of the argument.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
One thing I'm confused about--where is the evidence Comcast is doing this? The tweet in the OP mentions it, but there is no real proof there, and the article linked to in the OP doesn't mention Comcast, either.

In a nutshell: ISPs currently sell X amount of data at X speed per month. Then they get annoyed that, for example, Netflix is the largest amount of that data being used. So they throttle Netflix traffic and/or strongarm Netflix for money. That's not speculative, that happened.

Basically, ISPs don't want to provide what they're selling. They want you to use less data than you pay for.

So, if this change (back) happens, they'd be free to throttle any traffic they like. The obvious target is large data usage: Netflix, Youtube, probably game stores like Steam, PSN, XBL. Amazon and news sites are less likely to be affected, because even with very high traffic, the data usage is far less than streaming video.

At the moment, that's really the battle: large data usage. Not idealogical views on content.

But, even though it's more speculative, the risk exists for throttling or even blocking sites with which your ISP doesn't see eye-to-eye. All it takes is one ISP monopoly owned by some Roger Ailes-type scumbag.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
doesn't sound like fraud however this sounds more like impersonating and falsifying information.

For a company to do this? they should be destroyed. absolute and everyone that signed off on this in prison for 30+ years
I believed that is the description of fraud.

Gluka

One thing I'm confused about--where is the evidence Comcast is doing this? The tweet in the OP mentions it, but there is no real proof there, and the article linked to in the OP doesn't mention Comcast, either.

Yeah, I'm skeptical as well. I haven't been able to find any credible proof that this is actually what's happening anywhere online.

hitme

ObgBhzH.gif

Top Bottom